Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,151 members, 7,887,343 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:06 AM

Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC (757 Views)

Why Did Tinubu Cancel Ministry Of Niger Delta Affairs? / We Have Accommodated Yorubas, Why Should Tinubu Insult Us - Akwa Ibom Govt / Four Things To Note Should Tinubu/Shettima Win The 2023 Presidential Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by lexylaw09: 4:54pm On Apr 20, 2023
My own take on this NYSC matter is that the NYSC program should be reviewed.

1. NYSC program should not be mandatory
2. NYSC program should involve at least 1 compulsory vocational training

What's your take on this

4 Likes

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by Ireportlive: 4:57pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tinubu's plan is to weaponise and militarize NYSC so that every Nigerian adult is battle ready Incase of Russia/Ukraine style invasion

Without prejudice or bias go and listen to his doctored speech at Arewa house Kaduna on Agbado and Cassava feeding 5million military reserve

1 Like

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by MadamExcellency: 4:57pm On Apr 20, 2023
Who will be teaching students in the North and the interior of the Southwest?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by lexylaw09: 5:02pm On Apr 20, 2023
MadamExcellency:
it is the responsibility of state government to employ teachers ...as many as it's required. Teaching should not be the obligation of our fresh graduates.

2 Likes

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by lexylaw09: 5:04pm On Apr 20, 2023
MadamExcellency:
that remains the headache of state governments

1 Like

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by nairalanda1(m): 5:10pm On Apr 20, 2023
MadamExcellency:

And the South east and South south too?

(I served in the South east, there is a scarcity of teachers in the rural areas )

4 Likes

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by nairalanda1(m): 5:13pm On Apr 20, 2023
lexylaw09:

What's your take on this

Scrap NYSC today, and I guarantee you the illiteracy level in Nigeria would rise tenfold.

Most of your schools in villages and even some parts of cities rely on NYSC to plug teaching gaps.

Also, health care will suffer massively.

Until you Nigerians are willing to work in the villages as badly as you want to work in the city, NYSC has to remain.

2 Likes

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by Aonkuuse(m): 5:13pm On Apr 20, 2023
So for ur mind, u are playing tribal cards here. point out which region in Nigeria that doesn't have interior? or are corpers posted only in the north and southwest?
MadamExcellency:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by SpatialKing(m): 5:15pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tinubu should stop politicians from running away after collecting certificate of return from INEC
Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by Flight90: 5:17pm On Apr 20, 2023
@op no longer wants to serve his fatherland grin

Spoiler alert!!! To serve your father's land is now by force😅
Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by chivic(m): 5:54pm On Apr 20, 2023
How will he cancel what he didn't attend.
Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by lexylaw09: 6:49pm On Apr 20, 2023
For real I think NYSC is useless
Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by nairalanda1(m): 7:05pm On Apr 20, 2023
lexylaw09:
For real I think NYSC is useless

Because you live in the city, where there is a glut of professionals to serve you.

Village people on the other hand, don't have enough medical people for their health centers, and teachers for their schools...that is where NYSC comes in.

2 Likes

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by RenaissanceGuy: 8:04pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tinubu should implement pastor Tunde Bakare's agenda on NYSC. It'll revolutionalise and industrialise Nigeria's agricultural sector creating millions of formal jobs like it's in developed countries.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by Nobody: 9:40pm On Apr 20, 2023
He shouldn't. Rather transform the program into more skill acquisition period.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by GreyLaw(m): 9:51pm On Apr 20, 2023
lexylaw09:

What's your take on this

Oga, please constitution. 10 Tinubus plus 10 Obis plus 10 Buharis cannot "cancel" NYSC. It is a program established by law and it wll take the whole of the National Assembly to do it. The North benefits so much from NYSC and so it will not be cancelled.

2 Likes

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by GreyLaw(m): 9:52pm On Apr 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

Because you live in the city, where there is a glut of professionals to serve you.

Village people on the other hand, don't have enough medical people for their health centers, and teachers for their schools...that is where NYSC comes in.

And thata why the Northern senarors will never agree to cancelling it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by nairalanda1(m): 10:01pm On Apr 20, 2023
GreyLaw:

And thata why the Northern senarors will never agree to cancelling it.

The South too needs corpers.

Especially in the teaching and health sector

(I served in the South East, so I know what I am talking about)

Modified

Before you start, this isn't a North-South thing. People don't like working in the rural areas really. I once read an article by a journalist who did NYSC in a village in Anambra state. Any teacher sent there by the Anambra ministry of education to the village secondary school promptly got reposted to a town. Na NYSC corpers, one or two teachers, and the principal that were running the show.

The matter is serious. It is even worse when it comes to health care self.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by omohayek: 10:03pm On Apr 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

That doesn't mean Nigerian university graduates should be forced to spend an entire year at the start of their professional lives in indentured servitude. If villages need teachers and doctors, let their LGAs and state governments pay hardship bonuses to those willing to live in the bush.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by nairalanda1(m): 10:08pm On Apr 20, 2023
omohayek:

That doesn't mean Nigerian university graduates should be forced to spend an entire year at the start of their professional lives in indentured servitude. If villages need teachers and doctors, let their LGAs and state governments pay hardship bonuses to those willing to live in the bush.

It's not necessarily about the money...cities, even in developed areas , have more amenities, life, opportunities, and crucially entertainment than the villages.

I like using the internet. Even if I was sent by the state to a village, and paid a million naira monthly, can the state guarantee me that I would have the same level of internet I get in the city, compared to the village, where I would most likely get 2g internet? Or none.?

Can the state guarantee that I can get good schools in the village like the ones in the city? Especially if the school is a private school like the posh ones in some cities?

Even if Nigeria was developed, the trend these days is for people to move to the city. Rural areas don't get much in terms of money for development. The city is where it is at.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by omohayek: 10:25pm On Apr 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

It's not necessarily about the money...cities, even in developed areas , have more amenities, life, opportunities, and crucially entertainment than the villages.

I like using the internet. Even if I was sent by the state to a village, and paid a million naira monthly, can the state guarantee me that I would have the same level of internet I get in the city, compared to the village, where I would most likely get 2g internet? Or none.?

Can the state guarantee that I can get good schools in the village like the ones in the city? Especially if the school is a private school like the posh ones in some cities?

Even if Nigeria was developed, the trend these days is for people to move to the city. Rural areas don't get much in terms of money for development. The city is where it is at.
Sure, cities are more attractive, but that still doesn't justify treating fresh university graduates like slaves to be deployed willy nilly. For one thing, there is a huge hidden opportunity cost to robbing people at the peak of their physical and mental powers of an entire year in which they could be honing their skills, building the companies of tomorrow that will power the country out of its economic stagnation. How old were Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg when they started their businesses? Imagine if the USA had forced them to spend that initial year of their lives teaching in primary schools in the middle of nowhere?

As for the notion that no amount of money will convince people to willingly move to the countryside, I think the evidence strongly argues to the contrary. At this very moment large numbers of Nigerians are risking their lives making dangerous crossings through the Sahara desert and the Mediterranean ocean, all in order to try to make money working as underpaid illegal immigrants with no rights, perpetually living in fear of the police. How many of those wouldn't gladly take 2x a city-based teacher's pay to teach in Nigerian rural areas instead, where they would be treated with respect rather than meet the racist contempt they are guaranteed to face in Europe?

In any case, there is a more economically sensible way to deal with a shortage of skilled workers in Nigeria's rural areas, assuming LGAs and state governments refuse to do their duty: rural residents can simply move to the city. This is an option no one needs to tell them to take, as we see it happen every day in huge numbers. Were it not for the relative lack of birth control in the countryside, this shift in the population would be easier to see. There is no country in the world with a functioning economy where large numbers of highly-skilled people are forced into relatively low-skilled rural labor during their prime years - you only see such things in communist basketcases like China during Mao's "Cultural Revolution" in the 1960s.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by ednut1(m): 10:27pm On Apr 20, 2023
Its just one year. Like most graduates have anything productive waiting for them
Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by Parachoko: 10:30pm On Apr 20, 2023
No he should not cancel it

He can make it optional though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by lexylaw09: 11:28pm On Apr 20, 2023
omohayek:

Sure, cities are more attractive, but that still doesn't justify treating fresh university graduates like slaves to be deployed willy nilly. For one thing, there is a huge hidden opportunity cost to robbing people at the peak of their physical and mental powers of an entire year in which they could be honing their skills, building the companies of tomorrow that will power the country out of its economic stagnation. How old were Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg when they started their businesses? Imagine if the USA had forced them to spend that initial year of their lives teaching in primary schools in the middle of nowhere?

As for the notion that no amount of money will convince people to willingly move to the countryside, I think the evidence strongly argues to the contrary. At this very moment large numbers of Nigerians are risking their lives making dangerous crossings through the Sahara desert and the Mediterranean ocean, all in order to try to make money working as underpaid illegal immigrants with no rights, perpetually living in fear of the police. How many of those wouldn't gladly take 2x a city-based teacher's pay to teach in Nigerian rural areas instead, where they would be treated with respect rather than meet the racist contempt they are guaranteed to face in Europe?

In any case, there is a more economically sensible way to deal with a shortage of skilled workers in Nigeria's rural areas, assuming LGAs and state governments refuse to do their duty: rural residents can simply move to the city. This is an option no one needs to tell them to take, as we see it happen every day in huge numbers. Were it not for the relative lack of birth control in the countryside, this shift in the population would be easier to see. There is no country in the world with a functioning economy where large numbers of highly-skilled people are forced into relatively low-skilled rural labor during their prime years - you only see such things in communist basketcases like China during Mao's "Cultural Revolution" in the 1960s.
I very much agree with you
Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by Blue3k(m): 9:26am On Apr 21, 2023
Yes he should cancel the program because it's just a year of government extracting cheap labor out graduates. It would be better for the graduates if they just begin their careers earlier. I don't think he would if the poll below is to be believed.

1 Like

Re: Should Tinubu Cancel NYSC by lexylaw09: 5:05pm On May 01, 2023
Nysc for life

(1) (Reply)

President-elect Bola Tinubu Meets With APC Governors In Abuja (pics/video) / President Tinubu Writes NASS To Approve N500bn For Subsidy Palliatives / Breaking:Dss Reveals Suspended Cbn Governor Emefiele Is Allegedly Linked To Ipob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.