Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,606 members, 7,888,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:58 PM

Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion (1387 Views)

‘Prayer Man’ Tries To Revive Abubakar Audu, Confusion In Kogi / President Buhari Orders Arrest Of Wife’s Younger Brother Over Alleged Extortion / MFM Tries To Justify Molestation Of SaharaReporters Crew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Sunofgod(m): 9:11pm On Sep 22, 2011
Lagos (WorldStage Newsonline)-- Though Lagos State governor Babatunde Fashola on Thursday said that he was yet to read the content of the judgement of the Federal High Court that declared illegal the power of Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) to impose fines on traffic offenders as well as the law that set up the agency in the state, he insisted that road traffic is a municipal matter in which the state government has residual authority to make residual legislation.

While responding to questions from journalists at the VIP lounge of Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, Fashola added that “all over the world, there is usually provision for either the summary payment for crime or the option of a trial and I think this is what exists really. If you can not go for a trial, you can say you want to pay a fine.

"I've not read the judegment and the only information I have about the judegment is from the press, clearly, that is not a legal interpretation of the judgment. Road traffic is a municipal matter in which the state goverment clearly has the residual authority to make legislation. Of course you will understand that all over the world, there is usually provision for either the summary payment of crime or the option of a trial and I think this is what exists really. If you can not go for a trial, you can say you want to pay a fine. And I think that is the ambit of which we have been operating and those who insist on being taken to court, obviously are being taken to court. But, as I said, I’ve not read the judgement and therefore, it may well be the headline news that the media has used to report a story."

The governor however called on all to see the good work the traffic management agency was doing in the state rather than looking at the challenges before them, saying its introduction had helped in the employment of over 5,000 youths in the state.

"Coincidentally yesterday, I was also with LASTMA in part of our mentoring civil responsibility training. Whether we like it or not, until a foreseeable future, LASTMA is a local solution to a unique traffic problem and in other jurisdiction where you have efficient traffic light and all of that. We have used a local challenge to create an opportunity for almost 5, 000 people who are working, showing dignity of labour, staying in the sun and the rain working for all of us.

“So, let not be in a hurry to challenge the LASTMA. I don’t think that is what we need, what we need is to keep the model, sustain and develop it. If it has rough edges, we trim it off and LASTMA like every innovation of man is always subject to improvement, re-modification and I think that is what is important for us to carry along now. The condemnation of the agency, I don’t think will take us there."

The governor who also declared that he was not yet satisfied with the operations of the traffick management agency in Lagos State because they were yet to meet the standard expected of them said: "I am never satisfied even with my own performance. I continue to raise the standards of performance every time. That is the way we are made. We have done a lot of things that even you have acknowledged, but the thing is that we will not rest on our oars, we will continue to set new standards and if we are satisfied with what we have done, which is commendable, you see keeping Lagos traffic moving with electricity, traffic light. It is a miracle on its own and we must commend those doing it. But we will continue to move higher and that is why they have been in training for almost eight weeks. I just approve another training that they will start. We train them at different levels to improve their service delivery. We will continue with them at least during my own tenure."

On the 10 years master plan for Alimosho area, the governor said though buildings and structures were not pulled down in some of the areas where such development plans had earlier taken place, the government would not hesitate to pull down any structure that may obstruct the master plan in the area.

"Alimosho is one of the eight towns that we are master planning from which we will create a regional plan for Lagos. One of them is Lekki, Ikoyi/Victoria Island, Lagos Mainland comprising Oto, Iddo to Oshodi back through Orile to Ijora, another one is Ikorodu. There is Badagry and Ikeja master plan as well. And we didn’t pull down the buildings in these areas when we are working there.

“It is to access what has taken place and what we need to add. We need to plan for 15, 20 years, where we will build the rail track to manage transport, school, hospitals and others. We are to modify what exists. But if they are standing on illegal places, I’m sorry, they will have to go."

On the tenancy law and exemption of some areas in the state, Fashola who said a wider forum to discuss the issue would soon be convened, however hinted that the contributions of the government , landlord and tenants in the discussion on the issue would be very important if the issue of rising cost of living which is traced to high cost of rent is to be addressed.

“We must understand that this is not the first time the tenancy law is being amended. It has been amended in many rent tribunals and so on even since when I was a child. I will speak to the details on the tenancy law at a future date. The important is that is not my voice alone that is important here, there is a voice of the citizens, landlords and tenants. That is why we are being led by the Attorney General. It is an issue of law. At a later date, I will speak on some of the issues.”

The governor said landlord and tenancy laws was part of the state long term strategy for housing for the general public. He said the state as erroneously expressed was not to regulate prices of housing. He insisted that landlords had nothing to lose if they collect their rents annually.

His words: "But it is important that we have made the landlord and tenant law is part of our long term strategy for housing for the general public. That law is not a substitute for building houses, it is not as some people have expressed opinion that how can we regulate prices when it is demand and supply that determines this. We understand this. We are not regulating the prices of housing. What we are regulating is the unequal relationship power where prices of houses that are already high are being compounded in multiples. If you continue to do that, if as a trader, I pay a three years rent, it means I will use the money I would have used to start business, I will use it to pay you rent. That is why things are expensive in this country. These are the things that drive our people to desperation and we have not been able to curb corruption in this country. The landlords lose nothing if they collect their rents year in year out. "

http://www.worldstagegroup.com/worldstage/index.php?&id=3697&active=news
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Sunofgod(m): 7:15am On Sep 23, 2011
Lastma better start refunding people . . . .
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Omooba77: 9:23am On Sep 23, 2011
LASTMA can fine traffic offenders, Fashola insists

September 23, 2011

News

By OLASUNKANMI AKONI, DANIEL ETEGHE & MONSUR OLOWOOPEJO
IKEJA- Following the judgment of Justice Okon Abang of a Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday, barring Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, from imposing fines on traffic offenders, Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde  Fashola, Thursday, said the state has the residual authority to make legislation on municipal issues that fall within the ambit of the state.

Meanwhile, the state said it will appeal the judgment. State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaye, said in Lagos that: “We are appealing the judgment immediately. Lagos State, Federal Government and other jurisdictions have laws that validly impose fines in the same way as LASTMA law, so we are certainly not satisfied with the judgment.”

Fashola had said, “I have not read the judgment and the only information I have about the judgment is from the press, clearly, that is not a legal interpretation of the judgment. Road traffic is a municipal matter in which the state government clearly has the residual authority to make legislation.”

“Of course, you will understand that all over the world, there is usually provision for either the summary payment of crime or the option of a trial and I think this is what exists really. If you do not want to go on trial, you can say you want to pay a fine and I think that is the ambit of which we have been operating and those who insist on being taken to court, obviously are being taken to court.”

He called on Lagosians not to be in a hurry to condemn LASTMA, adding that the agency could be subjected to innovations.

According to Fashola, “Whether we like it or not, until a foreseeable future, LASTMA is a local solution to a unique traffic problem. We have used a local challenge to create an opportunity for almost 5,000 people who are working, showing dignity of labour, staying in the sun and the rain working for all of us.

“So, let not be in a hurry to challenge LASTMA. I don’t think that is what we need, what we need is to keep the model, sustain and develop it. If it has rough edges, we trim it off and LASTMA like every innovation of man is always subject to improvement, re-modification and I think that is the collectiveness that is important for us to carry along now. The condemnation of the agency, I don’t think will take us there.”

Also, reacting to the judgment, Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Aderemi Ibirogba, said a majority of residents misconstrued the judgment by condemning the legitimacy of LASTMA.

Ibirogba said: “A majority of the public do not know the technicality of the law. The judgment is not an indictment on LASTMA as been peddled around. It has not incapacitated LASTMA in any way.

“That judgment has not said LASTMA is illegal. What the judgment is saying is that fines for any traffic offenders in the state will be decided in the law court. The law does not say LASTMA does not have the right to control traffic in the state. It’s unfortunate that the public has not come to accept LASTMA as a responsible agency.

“It is important to note that LASTMA still reserve some power as long as Lagos traffic management and control is concerned,” he added.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Omooba77: 9:38am On Sep 23, 2011
The truth is that there is no human face to there activities,beating light by a second is an offence. I learnt some of them bribed themselves to get posted to VI and Ikeja because of their atrocities. Even in developed countries like US,it is not every time you get ticket. Someone told me I should come and see a building being erected by a LASTMA officer,whose salary can't be more than N40000,at Sango area. Fashola should come to VI or Ikeja around 5:30am and see how they are collecting 'Ajo' from people.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Omooba77: 9:43am On Sep 23, 2011
May be Fashola too get his own kick back. Imagine someone whose minimum wage is less than N25000,being asked to pay a fine of N50000
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Omooba77: 11:11am On Sep 23, 2011
The way they drag steering with people is so funny. How many people have the sent to there early grave.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by seanet02: 11:14am On Sep 23, 2011
Very childish judgement by the ibo judge. So you want people to park on roads indiscriminatively.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by mployer(m): 11:19am On Sep 23, 2011
it is true that offenders must be punished, be them traffic or other-wise. However, my problem is the fact that these guys(LASTMA) are mostly drop-outs and once-upon-a-time thugs who know nothing about courtesy and responsibility.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Omooba77: 11:20am On Sep 23, 2011
Oga seanet,nobody parks on the road. The way LASTMA operates is too crude! What they should be trained to do is take the plate number,that is why we do e-registration and slam the fine on the fellow. Instead of causing accident. Don't use sentiment to do things,this is a democratic setting,every one is entitled to free hearing. It is not a matter of Ibo judge or not. Stop your malicious campaign.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Omooba77: 11:26am On Sep 23, 2011
We should look for ways of reducing the suffering of people rather than compounding it.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by asha80(m): 8:05pm On Sep 23, 2011
Omooba77:

LASTMA can fine traffic offenders, Fashola insists

September 23, 2011

News

By OLASUNKANMI AKONI, DANIEL ETEGHE & MONSUR OLOWOOPEJO
IKEJA- Following the judgment of[b] Justice Okon Abang[/b] of a Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday, barring Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, from imposing fines on traffic offenders, Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde  Fashola, Thursday, said the state has the residual authority to make legislation on municipal issues that fall within the ambit of the state.

seanet02:

Very childish judgement by the ibo judge. So you want people to park on roads indiscriminatively.

ignorance of a fellow citizen is a big disease.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by seanet02: 8:15pm On Sep 23, 2011
asha 80:

Aisha my heart, na me you dey bsh eehhh?
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by djustice: 12:35am On Sep 24, 2011
Does a man who openly encourages the disobedience of a properly obtained court order deserve to remain a SAN, the highest honour reserved for distinguished legal practitioners?

Fashola should be stripped of his purchased SAN immediately. At least, his immunity from prosecution does not cover that. SAN my foot. He goat!
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Relax101(m): 1:07am On Sep 24, 2011
seanet02:

asha 80:

seanet02:

Aisha my heart, na me you dey bsh eehhh?

This guy don smoke so tey he doesnt know the difference between aisha and asha.
FYI, Asha is a man. So you are big time GAY dude. It's so good you let us know today.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by Johndoe100(m): 1:23am On Sep 24, 2011
seanet02:

I knew that this loon would pop up.
Re: Fashola Defends Lastma Illegal Operations - Tries To Justify Extortion by DEAD2RIGHT: 10:55pm On Nov 14, 2011
Fine lastman helps the trafic a lil bit but some of the members of lastman are found of extorting money and issuing tickets on what is not worth it, they are the same WITH THE SO CALLED ROBBERS WE CALL AUTHORITIES, POLICE, LASTMAN, CUSTOMS,

(1) (Reply)

Multi-million Dollar MEGA PORT Planned For Badagry, Lagos. / 35 Senators Have No Bills In Two Years To Show For Over N13b In Earnings / Imminent Nigerian Revolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.