Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,283 members, 7,887,826 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:35 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? (14735 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Ifecotag: 10:40pm On Sep 23, 2011
Why do people like you always assumed to know what is good for everyone of us? What is your 'longsighted' view of the word: Home? People like you are full of theories and stories without a single concrete solution, where i call 'home' is where i felt at home, you may want to die for Nigeria as a 'patriotic' Nigerian but you know what? I will not, all i can do as a Nigerian is to keep my hands clean anywhere i found myself and I'm perfectly entitled to do that.

My friend, I am not trying to tell you what is good for you or anyone else. I stated the underlying facts. The typical African mind needs to do away with his individualist approach to life. How do you know that I have not taken a concrete solution so far? Do you know what my portfolio contains?

Besides, theories is first step to experiment. There are scientific theories centuries old that are being applied today, all you need is to get the right tools available. That is what the poster is trying to highlight, by working hard and getting the right tools to challenge the status quo.

In your 'adopted homeland', there are neighborhoods that you can't freely walk into because of the colour of your skin. You are more likely to be stopped and searched than the natives. You can be wrongly accused and charged for no just cause. Go and ask Troy Davies and many others who have fall victim to institutionalized racism. You coming across people in your 'home felt home' who tell you to go back home where you come from.

The Jews have contributed significantly to western civilization than any minority group. Almost 60% of Nobel prize winners are Jews, many of engineers and scientist who pioneered the internet are Jews. Many companies successful and reputable in the western world were founded by them. Scientific breakthroughs and many more. Yet go and ask them what it feels like to feel at 'home' when they are constantly targeted. Barack Obama despite the fact that he also has white heritage, many of constant attacks carries racial connotations.

What I am trying to say in essence is that no matter how hard you try to assimilate and fit in to your 'new home', your hosts will never accept you as equal. Forget their fake smiles and rhetoric about equality and so on. Man, the day reality check hits, then they will put you where you truly belong. No matter how bad naija is, it is still our home and those who know where their true home is will continue to think about how to go about acting to make it better. In fact, revolutions was what brought about changes and developments in those countries that our people are dying to get passports and permits. My friend, stop living under false illusion and face reality.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 11:14pm On Sep 23, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

@poster[s]
you make no DAMN SENSE!!!! you have been abroad and it was a FAILURE for you, while we know that many succeed and are very happy with the life they are living now (while other aren't) so let each and everyone decide what is best for their lives rather than trying to force them to follow YOUR BELIEFS.
[/s]

i know many are better off in 9ja than abroad but, until someone scrubs a few toilets, flips a few burgers or stay on their feet for 14hrs straight being security guards, THEY WILL NEVER KNOW, and therefore, their desire to go abroad will NEVER die down.

@MRbrownJAY,

Good comment bad approach: I make no sense maybe to the guys that will want to do the blue highlighted comment. However, the act of being patriotic does not mean i have failed,  and what gave you that instinct? Anyways,  like i said earlier in one of my previous responses, its a free world where words can be used insanitized and people can say anything they want just by opening their mouth,  I guess the Americans that fight for their country and die for their country are FAILURE, 

Go and ask Mathew Osimolowo a Nigeria pastor in England with the largest Black congregation in the entire England. In one of his unforgettable moment he reiterate his ordeal on how he was treated during the time the U.K government decided to take part of his church land for community (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7244798.stm) usage, He thought it was a joke, perhaps because he was a citizen with red passport,  But when they started investigate his finances(http://www.elombah.com/news/node/636) it was made clear to him through their action, that he was still an immigrant. Then he realized that that passport was a borrowed property of U.K government for any reason it could be taken away from him,  He quickly  came back to naija and started investing in establishing Hospital and (http://nigeriafilms.com/news/13279/33/pastor-matthew-ashimolowos-kicc-university-to-begi.html) University in his home town,   

I guess he was a Failure and with all his wealth and affluence happiness and success, why didn't he invest in University in U.K if he thinks that is home. Remember he is the pastor of the largest black church, what else does he want, could not be questioned around him,  In fact you don't know anything about success and not all success amount to happiness, if not the guy that blew himself with his private Jet into the IRS building in Dalas Texas few years ago would still be alive.  Anyways i need not to convince you about my belief nor do i need to prove to you about my success,

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by justwise(m): 11:19pm On Sep 23, 2011
Ifecotag:

My friend, I am not trying to tell you what is good for you or anyone else. I stated the underlying facts. The typical African mind needs to do away with his individualist approach to life.  How do you know that I have not taken a concrete solution so far? Do you know what my portfolio contains?
Besides, theories is first step to experiment. There are scientific theories centuries old that are being applied today, all you need is to get the right tools available. That is what the poster is trying to highlight, by working hard and getting the right tools to challenge the status quo.  In your  'adopted homeland', there are neighborhoods that you can't freely walk into because of the colour of your skin. You are more likely to be stopped and searched than the natives. You can be wrongly accused and charged for no just cause. Go and ask Troy Davies and many others who have fall victim to institutionalized racism. You coming across people in your 'home felt home' who tell you to go back home where you come from.The Jews have contributed significantly to western civilization than any minority group.  Almost 60% of Nobel prize winners are Jews, many of engineers and scientist who pioneered the internet are Jews. Many companies successful and reputable in the western world were founded by them. Scientific breakthroughs and many more. Yet go and ask them what it feels like to feel at 'home' when they are constantly targeted. Barack Obama despite the fact that he also has white heritage, many of constant attacks carries racial connotations. What I am trying to say in essence is that no matter how hard you try to assimilate and fit in to your 'new home', your hosts will never accept you as equal. Forget their fake smiles and rhetoric about equality and so on. Man, the day reality check hits, then they will put you where you truly belong.  No matter how bad naija is, it is still our home and those who know where their true home is will continue to think about how to go about acting to make it better.  In fact, revolutions was what brought about changes and developments in those countries that our people are dying to get passports and permits.  My friend, stop living under false illusion and face reality.

I don't even have time to start arguing with u, its obvious that u are still living in the past with ur old fashioned view about life, and please go and read up about Troy Davies b4 you start waving ur race card, you don't appear to know much about many issues you have raised here.

Everything to you is racism, its embarrassing to read from pple like you talking absolutely garbage.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Ifecotag: 11:42pm On Sep 23, 2011
@Justwise=Disillusioned

I don't even have time to start arguing with u, its obvious that u are still living in the past with your old fashioned view about life, and please go and read up about Troy Davies b4 you start waving your race card, you don't appear to know much about many issues you have raised here.

Everything to you is racism, its embarrassing to read from pple like you talking absolutely garbage.

Man, stop letting emotions take over your reasoning. If you want to engage in constructive criticism , do it with facts instead of throwing tantrums like a 2year old. You seem to be one arrogant individual living in the 'present'. Justwise =Disillusioned, It is uncle toms like you that will defend the system that is undermining them.

what do you know about life in the system you are living in? You should try to be analytic to people/issues on here. You are one guy that is so full of himself.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by wilzz26: 12:46am On Sep 24, 2011
@justwise, you have spoken the main word about where you call home. anyone came make it anywere provided he or she See's the chances abound.in place of no chances migration to another part of the world is justified.
what i can only emphasize on is that no matter where we find our self's lets not forget where we come from and have a belief of collective responsibility to add ones quota to where he or she comes from.for me there is notting bad in travelling abroad if indeed there is a good reason to go out there. western education pays allot rather than the fallen standard and outdated forms of education in Nigeria.basic amenities is not left out i this matter.a place you call home with no basic necessary amenities to drive potentials will equally kill them.a nation that will not invest in its people will not or may get little from its citizenry. for instance if a Nigerian gives birth in the united kingdom, automatically becomes a citizen and he or she well caterd for by the policies been in place where future of the said child is guaranteed with all it takes to be worth a successful individual in life. so @ Mr poster,notting of your said magnitude can be done without the enabling environment with the right policies and proper legal framework to drive our nation to the china and America of today.the thing is Nigerian leadership is filled with high greed. if those nations you mention were as Nigeria their nation will not be the way it is and we will not want to go there.Nigeria of today can never be in recession because they have not invested in its people in anyway with the aboundant resources piling billions of dollars and yet the people are still poor. all these are enough to migrate. but i will say when anyone migrates to the other side they should try do something home as we are thinking people with entrepreneurial skills needed to drive the nation.
that is my contribution.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by wilzz26: 1:34am On Sep 24, 2011
The UK government makes millions of pounds from Nigerians each year fro student that's desire better and qualitative education there by making a policy that the UK will always remain a place were foreign student with high intelect will be allowed to stay in to develop their enterprenural skills and ideas.
The question is what is Nigerian government doing about this? the educational system is decapitated and overstretched there by living them with poor and substandard graduates who can not stand the international pressure of a standard education.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by justwise(m): 6:39am On Sep 24, 2011
wilzz26:

@justwise, you have spoken the main word about where you call home. anyone came make it anywere provided he or she See's the chances abound.in place of no chances migration to another part of the world is justified.
[b]what i can only emphasize on is that no matter where we find our self's lets not forget where we come from and have a belief of collective responsibility to add ones quota to where he or she comes from.[/b]for me there is notting bad in travelling abroad if indeed there is a good reason to go out there. western education pays allot rather than the fallen standard and outdated forms of education in Nigeria.basic amenities is not left out i this matter.a place you call home with no basic necessary amenities to drive potentials will equally kill them.a nation that will not invest in its people will not or may get little from its citizenry. for instance if a Nigerian gives birth in the united kingdom, automatically becomes a citizen and he or she well caterd for by the policies been in place where future of the said child is guaranteed with all it takes to be worth a successful individual in life. so @ Mr poster,notting of your said magnitude can be done without the enabling environment with the right policies and proper legal framework to drive our nation to the china and America of today.the thing is Nigerian leadership is filled with high greed. if those nations you mention were as Nigeria their nation will not be the way it is and we will not want to go there.Nigeria of today can never be in recession because they have not invested in its people in anyway with the aboundant resources piling billions of dollars and yet the people are still poor. all these are enough to migrate. but i will say when anyone migrates to the other side they should try do something home as we are thinking people with entrepreneurial skills needed to drive the nation.
that is my contribution.
Yes agree with you on that but one doesn't necessarily have to live in Nigeria to be able to contribute in development of Nigeria, like i said before. . Nigeria is our default home, no matter where we are, we will still have that link to Nigeria, still invest in Nigeria without living permanently. The world has moved on, people explore alternative 'home' as the default home is becoming increasingly unconducive.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 24, 2011
@poster
i can also sit here and put up gazillions stories of people who left 9ja, are 100times better now abroad AND who have no intentions on going back or "contribute".
why is that so hard for you to understand? here is a clue: NO PROPER ELECTRICITY, CORRUPTED GOV, ARM ROBBERY, POLICE CHECK POINTS aka LEGAL ROBBERY, NO GOOD HEALTHCARE etc etc

so i am safe to say that, just for THESE reasons, someone could decide that they are better off living abroad cleaning dishes in a "safe environment to raise a family" rather than living in 9ja in such sub standard conditions.

if YOUR goal in life is to BE IN NIGERIA at all cost and work toward making the country a better place then FAIR ENOUGH, but you should start by ELECTING people who think like you do OR doing a "Egypt/Lybia" if they dont.

to each their own!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 1:37pm On Sep 26, 2011
@MRbrownJAY,

While i strongly agree with you,  I also think desperation and the unrepentant heart of trying to Get RICH quick leads us to some scam.
A comprehensive report of the recent Canadian Scam will open the eyes of any Nigeria with conscience and sense. We can not afford to live in an elusive world.
Every country is crunch trying to take care of their own people, in U.S over 9 percent are unemployed among other countries with similar concern.

Canada is less populatedwith a population of a little over 33 million, its like combining Lagos and Ogun States

Check this and you will see for your self: http://talkofnaija.com/News/newsdetailsone.aspx?NewsId=FE8AADDB-D848-47BC-8774-B542DDC12848

You can imagine the state of argony this people will be,  There is no magic in traveling. Babalawo and alfa confirmed that the scam is real, the scamer must have consulted them earlier so that they can not see anything in their crystal ball.

It was high drama recently in Lagos when over 7000 Nigerians realized they had fallen prey to the tricks of one Fred Olawale Makanjuola, owner of Crystal Services, an immigration consultancy outfit.

Olawale packaged a programme, inviting Nigerians who want to live and work in Canada to apply. The package he told them was free and his agency would foot the bill while the applicants would sign a bond to pay him back twice what he intends to spend. To further convince them, he involved the services of the police that provided Character Certificate clearance, the federal high court where affidavit were obtained, St. Nicholas Hospital and the National Hospital, Abuja for medical clearance.

Although the package was free, applicants paid at least N50,700 for registration. The victims cut across social and economic strata, that even the enlightened were part of it. But how won’t one fall for a trap where the master of the game staged a symposium at UNILAG, invited people he said were from banks, Immigration, NDLEA and others to coach the victims on how to travel to Canada and actualize their dreams while maintaining clean image for Nigeria.

Even applicants from nearby African countries travelled down to Nigeria to benefit from this dubious programme.
The bubble burst when the National Agency for Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (NAPTIP) got letters sometime in June from applicants trying to confirm whether Crystal Services was not into human trafficking. The agency discovered that it was a scam and visited the office at No. 8 Okuneye Avenue, Famous Bus Stop, Pedro, Shomolu, with a search warrant when Makanjuola refused to honour their invitation.

Addressing the confused crowd Mr. Josiah Emerole, Head of Lagos Zonal office, who led the team to break into the office, told the crowd that it was a scam as they had investigated and discovered that the house indicated as his address was occupied by a young couple and his business is not registered. “He honoured our invitation, sometime in June and we asked him to provide documents to help us ensure that it was not an agency for human trafficking. We wrote to him severally and he failed to respond. It was then that the agency decided to lock the premises and arrest his secretary, Ronke Adeosun. It is with a search warrant that we have come to open the office.”

The office was opened and cartons filled with Nigerian passports were discovered. Emerole who showed the confused crowd the passports asked them to go as the agency would contact them as soon as investigation is complete. Meanwhile the victims who still insist that their visas could still be in their passports besieged the NAPTIP office in Ikeja. As at Thursday Saturday Sun had reliable information that about 2000 of the passports that had been opened, and none had visas. Efforts to get across to NAPTIP failed as Saturday Sun was informed that a formal statement would be issued when investigation is complete.

Perfected game

Makanjuola, a 32-year-old man placed an advert late last year on TV and newspapers wooing interested Nigerians who dream to travel abroad. Part of his promise was that the agency would bear the cost of moving them out of the country, if they agree to pay back with interest after they must have settled into their jobs. Days after that publication, a crowd besieged his office indicating interest. Before the advert, he had sold application forms for N1000 but when he discovered the number of applicants, he immediately hiked the fee to N50,700. On the sudden increase, he told the applicants that he wanted to foot the bill for medicals but the number of persons interested in the programme made it impossible. According to some of the victims, he explained that the amount is expected to cover medical clearance and registration. Still that did not deter the teeming crowd from picking the forms.
To further convince them that the scam was no scam at all he directed them to Alagbon police unit in Ikoyi to obtain fingerprint clearance. He also demanded sworn court affidavit indicating that the amount spent on each of them is N750,000 and they are to pay back double in two years.

They also filled a form for traveller’s cheque from GT Bank. He later organized a symposium to enlighten his victims on what they are expected to do when they get to Canada. The symposium held at the UNILAG main auditorium on June 10 and had one Mrs. D. O. Abidogun, claimed to be an immigration officer from the Department of Human Trafficking, Dr. Anthony Clerk who was the MC and one Barrister Odion a GTBank representative. While it appeared the process was clean, he planted agents to extort money from applicants with the excuse that they would put their names in the first batch.
Text messages

To further convince them that he is grounded in his art, he sent series of texts to applicants to inform them on plans for the trip. To notify them of the travellers cheques he sent this text: “You are hereby scheduled for an invitation to apply manually for your Basic Travel Allowance at Crystal Services. Venue 8 Okuneye Avenue, Famous bus stop. Date: 2nd August 2011. First session 10am to 12pm. Second session 1-3pm. 3rd session 3.30-4pm. Note you are to tender the following – your sworn affidavit, 2 passport photos, invitation sent by Crystal Services (not a forwarded message)”

When his initial departure date of August 20 was fast approaching, he sent this: “Thanks once again for believing in our programme. We are earnestly working towards the success and reality of our moving schedules, a slight change was made on our date of departure which was due to the Ramadam season. Our new date is September 11th and 12th 2011. Note, ensure you get the carton colour or lace material.”

This came few days after: “Take notice of the under mentioned dates: 11th day of September: Exhibition at the National Theatre, 12th day of September: Air lifting commences with applicant registration numbers.13th Day of September: Air lifting continues to the last registration number, 14th day of September, Foreign orientation in Dubai for three days: 15th Movement to Manitoba, Canada: 19th arrival party, 20th day of September Rest day, 21st to 22nd of September: Registration, assimilation and association. 23rd to 29th day of September training and seminar: 29th of September confirmation/collection of certificate. 1st of October, collection of materials, 2nd of October Future begins. Signed Crystal Services.”

On September 11, dressed in their uniform, his victims who bade farewell to their families gathered at the National Theatre for the exhibition and takeoff the next day as planned. About 7000 Nigerians waited anxiously until they received another text message saying: “We are sincerely sorry for not meeting up with our exhibition plan as scheduled, we want you to know that the air lifting is most paramount and that has been our area of concentration for days now. We therefore, implore you to please bear with us as we will update you as we progress. Thanks! Pls. pass this information to as many applicants you have around you.”

They all dispersed and still the callous scammers sent another message through their agent for each to pay N2000 to enable them assist the airline operator to repair the plane. This amount majority paid into an account before the cat was let out of the bag – 7000 had been terribly fooled and swindled by one young man in a grand scam.

Was the Canadian High Commission aware of the plans to issue work permit to this number of Nigerians?we inquired.
According to their police liaison officer, the High Commission as far back as May received letters from the victims trying to find out whether the programme was genuine and they were told that it was a scam.
One of the letters made available to Saturday Sun, the Deputy High Commissioner of Canada, in it response to the victim said: “There is no such programme, and this is a scam. Canada has no fast-track programmes for immigration or work permits. Individuals who wish to work in Canada should follow the instructions and guidelines which can be found on the website at www.nigeria.gc.ca or www.cic.gc.ca.

According to the liaison officer, no High Commission appoints agents outside the commission to run its activities. “Normally work permits are not given outside the country, the individual must have acquired a visa that befits that permit.”
When confronted with the allegations that Immigration service was a part of the scam, Muyiwa Odunubi, Lagos command Public Relation Officer debunked such allegation insisting that it could be a case of impersonation. “If any of the victims have a proof that an immigration officer was involved, let the person come forward. We need a photograph of the event showing the immigration officer. Let the victims help us to arrest this impersonator. We are not aware that such an agency is existing and did not at any time send a representative.”

Meanwhile we hopes to discover later how Makanjuola was able to operate an account in a new generation bank with fake identify in spite of the rules. We also hope to find out why the police issued fingerprint clearance to more than 7000 persons without raising an eyebrow and the Federal High Court that issued same number of affidavits without confirming what all these were about.

Tales of confused victims

Still finding it difficult to believe that they were defrauded most of the victims who spoke with Saturday Sun said the programme is real. They rather blame NAPTIP for destroying their dreams. They also accused the federal government for failing to protect its citizens from the fraudster because the agencies they were referred to failed to alert them that the programme was not real.
Emeka Okosun, a final year student of FUTO can’t believe the outcome. “I was supposed to take aptitude test for a job my father had arranged. How do I face my father, what will be my story? I investigated well, I went as far as visiting a native doctor in Ogun State and he confirmed that it was real. I know it is real, its NAPTIP that wants to spoil the business.”
Suleiman a businessman in Kano blames the police for failing to alert them, and said “I can’t believe that I have been defrauded. I consulted an alfa and he confirmed it.”

Chidi who claimed to have resigned from a job that pays him as much as N120,000 a month lamented that he sold almost everything he had to embark on the trip. He claimed to have given Olawale about N500,000 to ensure that his name is in the first batch. “I investigated this matter properly. I even went to GTBank and they confirmed that the travellers cheques had been processed and handed over to Fred. If a bank as big as GT would be convinced that this man is real why won’t I believe? If this is scam then, the bank, police, Federal High Court, Immigration and even lecturers are part of it. During the symposium at Unilag, a staff of the bank addressed us on how to use the travellers cheque when we get to Canada.

The immigration woman told us that it was real. The lecturer that claimed he came from LASU was there. There was also a representative from the NDLEA who advised us to stay away from drugs. I am seriously suspecting that NAPTIP is a spoiler because Fred refused to play ball.”
Another victim Lukeman Abiodun lamented that Fred collected money from them and is still withholding their passport. “I am a master’s degree holder and cannot believe what is happening. I am sure that this man must have visited the highest juju in Nigeria to perfect the plan.”
Faniyi Olalekan, is one of the lucky ones who parted with only N75,000 before he discovered that it was a scam. He wrote a letter to the embassy that informed him the deal was not clean.
A banker who is yet to come to terms that this is real thanked his stars that he did not tender his resignation letter before the bad turn of events. “My sister, I have my resignation letter in my pocket as we speak. Thank God I did not submit it. Three of my friends who were affected had resigned.”
MRbrownJAY:

@poster
i can also sit here and put up gazillions stories of people who left 9ja, are 100times better now abroad AND who have no intentions on going back or "contribute".
why is that so hard for you to understand? here is a clue: NO PROPER ELECTRICITY, CORRUPTED GOV, ARM ROBBERY, POLICE CHECK POINTS aka LEGAL ROBBERY, NO GOOD HEALTHCARE etc etc

so i am safe to say that, just for THESE reasons, someone could decide that they are better off living abroad cleaning dishes in a "safe environment to raise a family" rather than living in 9ja in such sub standard conditions.

if YOUR goal in life is to BE IN NIGERIA at all cost and work toward making the country a better place then FAIR ENOUGH, but you should start by ELECTING people who think like you do OR doing a "Egypt/Lybia" if they dont.

to each their own!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 26, 2011
have you ever thought that maybe the babalawo didnt see the scam because they are scammers themselves? how can this guy pay all the babalawo in town, come on now?!?!?!?!?!?!
it's call DESPERATION FOR A BETTER LIFE. some of these people may be smart individuals but due to the situation they find themselves in, they decided to lower their conscious and try out.

here is a simple clue: if as a doctor/lawyer (or what not) they cant find decent jobs in 9ja then would you rather they A) lower their standards and clean dishes in 9ja (which btw cant give you a decent salary) SO THAT EVERYONE COULD SEE THEM AND TALK DOWN ON THEM or B) be adventurous and try their luck in a foreign country where cleaning dishes can give you enough to live fairly well and WHERE THEY CAN DO WHATEVER JOB THEY LIKE SINCE NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW.

i will NEVER look down on someone who tries to better themselves because you have to BE great in your own life before you can think of improving another's (aka the country). . . . . . . . .and since we all know that 9ja is in a poor state, leaving is the ONLY option to some.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by collinsfbi(m): 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2011
@poster,

There is one thing i don't understand about you as regard the motive of this your thread here on NL?

Did you create this thread to generate reasons why Nigerians decide to travel abroad?
Did you create this thread for argument purpose?
Did you create this thread to discourage reasonable Nigerians from traveling abroad?
Did you create this thread to prove how intelligent you are or superiority over other NLDers?

One thing you have to understand is this, life is a matter of choice and everybody lives their lives the best way that will favour their destinies. No matter how you try even if you use the whole of NL to type, encourage and warn pple, it won’t make pple to change their mind. For you to have travelled far and wide b4 coming to a conclusion that Nigeria youths need to stay back and do something for the betterment of Nigeria is a matter of choice. So to some extent you can’t dictate the type of life others have to live. At the same time if you are encouraging other Nigerians in the Diaspora to come home and invest is still a matter of choice, those who will come will definitely come and those that will not come will definitely prefer to die abroad. Let your thread has a focus instead of staging argument with different pple. Personally, i don’t know the purpose of this thread because it's still not clear to me and i don't want to response to posts in ambiguity. In short, I will appreciate if you can make yourself clear in brief instead of these comprehension passages.

Gbammmmmmmmmmmm over and out
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Podonasmit: 5:03pm On Sep 26, 2011
collinsfbi:

There is one thing i don't understand about you as regard the motive of this your thread here on NL?

Did you create this thread to generate reasons why Nigerians decide to travel abroad?
Did you create this thread for argument purpose?
Did you create this thread to discourage reasonable Nigerians from traveling abroad?
Did you create this thread to prove how intelligent you are or superiority over other NLDers?

One thing you have to understand is this, life is a matter of choice and everybody lives their lives the best way that will favour their destinies. No matter how you try even if you use the whole of NL to type, encourage and warn pple, it won’t make pple to change their mind. For you to have travelled far and wide b4 coming to a conclusion that Nigeria youths need to stay back and do something for the betterment of Nigeria is a matter of choice. So to some extent you can’t dictate the type of life others have to live. At the same time if you are encouraging other Nigerians in the Diaspora to come home and invest is still a matter of choice, those who will come will definitely come and those that will not come will definitely prefer to die abroad. Let your thread has a focus instead of staging argument with different pple. Personally, i don’t know the purpose of this thread because it's still not clear to me and i don't want to response to posts in ambiguity. In short, I will appreciate if you can make yourself clear in brief instead of these comprehension passages.

Gbammmmmmmmmmmm over and out

@collinsfbi,

My argument is clear and you might have problem in understanding it because it tears across different segments and sections. Irrespective of the legitimate reason for anyone to travel, the ultimate premonition is to eventually perpetuate oneself in another man's country. While my argument has been that the desire of leaving Nigeria might not be ultimate solution to most of the people who have ventured into trying to go to these countries, it also centered on the sense of patriotism: plan to make Nigeria better so that we do not have to go to others people's countries for greener pasture.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by collinsfbi(m): 3:20pm On Sep 27, 2011
@collinsfbi,

My argument is clear and you might have problem in understanding it because it tears across different segments and sections. Irrespective of the legitimate reason for anyone to travel, the ultimate premonition is to eventually perpetuate oneself in another man's country. While my argument has been that the desire of leaving Nigeria might not be ultimate solution to most of the people who have ventured into trying to go to these countries, it also centered on the sense of patriotism: plan to make Nigeria better so that we do not have to go to others people's countries for greener pasture.

Look Mr. man I don't have any problem in understanding you, i am sure you are not typing French neither do you type in Spanish, what am a little bit confuse of is where you are driving this argument of yours to. Now i can see that all you do is to type comprehension passages to convey a single message which is all about preaching the gospel of patriotism. Look all these argument will not earn you anything because only you cannot right the wrong of this nation. If i may ask, what have you done personally to help Nigerians or do you think it's all about coming here and preach the gospel of deterrence to reasonable Nigerians with genuine reasons for travelling abroad? Many pple with vision have done better than you have ever imagine in the time past but they ended up with nothing all because they believe it's all about preaching. If you have what it takes to make Nigeria a better place where pple will find solace in this country then you don't need much work or argument on NL, all you need is to put your mind-set into action. Most of the time, action speaks better than ordinary words. Advising pple to stay back in Nigeria is not the first step to make Nigeria a better place. Reformation has to start from you before you seek reformation in others. Most of you will only come here and vomiting one policy of "mission impossible" while most of your relatives, family members, children are schooling and doing fine abroad including 98% of politicians and influential Nigerians who preach the gospel of reformation with ordinary mouth.

Once again, argument will earn you nothing and you will stand being frustrated because only a fool will buy your idea/foreign policy of deterrence to travelling all because you want to make Nigeria a better place. Better still you can achieve your aims if Jonathan can appoint you as the Federal Minister of Aviation or you try to seek employment in the aviation industry to implement your policy of deterrence but to be frank and sincere with you, it will not work because you cannot decide for the whole nation and travelling is not among the first 20 major problems of Nigeria, take it or leave. Good day

Note: NUC commenced one week strike action yesterday 26/09/2011 and i am sure it will be extended yet you want pple you have the resources to stay back and suffer. Why?

Gbammmmmmmm over and out

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by imperiouxx(m): 9:34pm On Sep 27, 2011
Collins, you shouldn't have reply this guy so that the thread don't surface again. He feels like writing short story. The best place people would hear his preaching well is on NTA news. Those people on this section got no time for this. If I'm the mod, I would have kicked this thread to hell since the day one.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by efosa12345(m): 7:54am On Sep 23, 2012
justwise: You have a good topic but you killed the whole argument by making some unfounded comments. There is no evidence that diseases in Africa were brought back by Africans visiting from developed countries, there are natural and man-made disasters everywhere in the world including Nigeria, not too long ago some part of Nigeria were flooded and alot of lives were lost, suicide bombing etc.
Your argument is one sided,  there are pros and cons of immigrating to other countries, you can not look at it from the negative perspective alone.

There are pros and cons of immigrating to other countries, u have said it all, he should look at the benefits side of it also, I have equally seen many that travelled abroad and made it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 26, 2012
THIS IS THE SILLIEST TOPIC I've EVER READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! Pls Mr Patriotic Poster, why don't u go and start a farm in Kano start? Then we shall watch u for a year to see if Boko haram doesn't maim u either in church or on the street. Don't let ur education deceive u. When u see a Nigerian gather millions to go abroad for a new life one thing should come straight to ur mind:s Nigerian situation is not funny or a big joke.

Nigeria is a country where insecurity of life and property including business, is like a normal thing... Boko haram alone has claimed over 3000 lives. Not to mention pockets of ethnoreligious crisis here and there.

Power supply nko? Since I was born all I hear on daily bases are: up nepa! And haba nepa! And d soul tormenting sounds of generators! How can d small and medium biz survive?

At this stage I've come to ask myself a simple question: given the low life expectancy in Nigeria, if I succeed in making all d millions in here and I can't sleep at night either because of noisy gens or d fear of armed robbers (because of d huge gap btw d rich n d poor),will I lead a happy life?

jennykadry: Boko-Haram is the reason. What a silly topic cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 26, 2012
THIS IS THE SILLIEST TOPIC I've EVER READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! Pls Mr Patriotic Poster, why don't u go and start a farm in Kano start? Then we shall watch u for a year to see if Boko haram doesn't maim u either in church or on the street. Don't let ur education deceive u. When u see a Nigerian gather millions to go abroad for a new life one thing should come straight to ur mind:s Nigerian situation is not funny or a big joke.

Nigeria is a country where insecurity of life and property including business, is like a normal thing... Boko haram alone has claimed over 3000 lives. Not to mention pockets of ethnoreligious crisis here and there.

Power supply nko? Since I was born all I hear on daily bases are: up nepa! And haba nepa! And d soul tormenting sounds of generators! How can d small and medium biz survive?

At this stage I've come to ask myself a simple question: given the low life expectancy in Nigeria, if I succeed in making all d millions in here and I can't sleep at night either because of noisy gens or d fear of armed robbers (because of d huge gap btw d rich n d poor),will I lead a happy life?

jennykadry: Boko-Haram is the reason. What a silly topic cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 26, 2012
Sincerely this ur thread is so so annoying.
The common man on d street needs food on his table. He wants to b able to pay his bills. He needs a good school for his kids.
All our leaders do in Nigeria is to amass wealth thereby widening d gap btw d rich and d poor. This consequently leads to increased insecurity across d nation.

Now u re preaching patriotism! My question for u is: who needs dis message? Is it d politicians or d hungry man on d street?

Pls send this write-up to Nta Abuja or the national house of assembly or d state govt houses or even d local govt councils.

D rest of us are mature enough to know what's gud for us!

By d way, I hope ur electricity generator aint very noisy o?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by 19naia(m): 9:45pm On Jun 12, 2015
Where are the stories of the men who left Abroad with abroad university masters degree, to come to Nigeria to help better it, and they found themsleves working 12 hour days every day with many months of unpaid salary? Where is the story of them being so poor from making the mistake of returnng to Nigeria for the better? As they lay plagued by malaria and too poor to afford medicine so often and then too broke to afford enough food to eat extra to help recover from the emaciating disease? Their children too suffered like that..

Where are the stories of how they some how made it out of Nigeria back to abroad and found work and rose up in the company and eventually formed their own company, owning it and owning their home and owning even more on top.. And all that success with a subdued fear of Nigeria because even when they try to send something back or return to visit with good tiding, they are cheated and robbed..
This is the common story and it gives a big clue why many people prefer suffering abroad than in Nigeria.. You will sleep on the streets of USa and it will be cleaner than some houses in Nigerian poor slums.. You will hunger in Nigeria but in USA there will always be multiple free food charities daily within every city among more than twohundred in USA... they will even extend free shelter per night for a while..

You will work as a lowly toilet cleaner in USA and know your salary will be paid even if it is not enough to do more than eat and sleep..You will work in Nigeria as a professor at a University and will not know when next your salary will come, and even the uneducated street hawkers of the Nigerian slums,will see some money daily, but a professor or government office worker could wait months before seeing even the outdated Kobo..

The list goes on as with basic security and hygenic environments... Sure it doesnt make sense to spend .5 mil naira to go USA and bring the life savings of 5mil Naira, only to see it drain away and stay away.. But it is never all lost in Very well developed countries.. Its not their rate of development that makes them, its their rate of support for the very poorest and disabled.. Their rate of compensation for even the least qualified workers....
Nigeria will never be close to being a developed country if all it sees is material development rather than increasing the lowest wages while decreasing the highest wages as among political leaders.. Better Equity among participating citizens... All the development in the world can be brought to Nigeria and it will still be a bottomless pit until the richest stop raking it all up even into foriegn accounts, while standing agawk at why the poorest cant find opportunity for themselves among a world taken up by the rich with no intent to concern with sharing opportunites and resources with the poor and disadvantaged..

A developed country will be less over runn with Urine and feces in the streets, because they make the effort and concern for the poor to install free and public toilet and sink or at least make possible to easily earn a wage that can pay to use public toilet and sink.. That also drastically reduces the spread of disease...
The same with installation of adequate drainage for gutters and sewage.. Roadway design and so on..
You can see Nigeria is full of half measure endevours because someone always had to stifle the funds with their own encroachment of greed..
Nigeria isnt in need of more.. Its in need of better use and equity for the excess it already has...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Tunex90: 8:45am On May 13, 2018
@op you're self centered, you have travelled to so many countries yet you're asking people not to leave Nigeria, why won't they leave!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by nlPoster: 10:05pm On Nov 28, 2019
Opportunities they say.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Suspectzero(m): 10:17pm On Nov 28, 2019
Your English is so terrible i can't take you seriously. You are one of those educated illiterates that our educational system has clearly failed. You lack capacity for deep thought. Hence, the garbage you decided to spew in your OP. Good luck to you in Nigeria. You can have it all to yourself.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by DexterousOne(m): 10:20pm On Nov 28, 2019
Ifecotag:
@Justwise

Your view of home is shortsighted. Go and ask the Jews and African Americans amongst other groups while they have never felt at home in their 'adopted homeland' for centuries. Those who adhere to this kind of thinking are living under false illusion. When you are presented with a reality check, then you will know where you truly belong.

Until we can start thinking ways to better our homeland against all odds, we will never earn respect from our so called 'adopted homeland' natives or others. Our hosts knows it , that is why immigrant and minorities are the first to get laid off when recession occur.

@Poster

You raised some important points. However, much in depth analysis on the issues you raised is needed than you will ever get on nairaland. Mediocrity rules on this forum.

undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by DexterousOne(m): 10:20pm On Nov 28, 2019
Suspectzero:
Your English is so terrible i can't take you seriously. You are one of those educated illiterates that our educational system has clearly failed. You lack capacity for deep thought. Hence, the garbage you decided to spew in your OP. Good luck to you in Nigeria. You can have it all to yourself.

Cool down

No be fight o
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by Suspectzero(m): 10:28pm On Nov 28, 2019
DexterousOne:

Cool down

No be fight o

Lol didn't even check the date before wasting my time.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by DexterousOne(m): 1:30am On Nov 29, 2019
timesupreloaded:
In 2020 nobody will travel abroad again in search for greener pasture. That is my primary assignment. "NO ABROAD" IS MY 2020 SLOGAN

Good luck with that
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate About Travelling Abroad? by lasthero: 1:34am On Nov 29, 2019
timesupreloaded:
In 2020 nobody will travel abroad again in search for greener pasture. That is my primary assignment. "NO ABROAD" IS MY 2020 SLOGAN

I'm not surprised to find you here. Ode

Go and close the embassy and airport doors na, and stop them from travelling. Oponu

(1) (2) (Reply)

Five Ways To Avoid Being Robbed In Lagos This Xmas / Tragedy As Seven Die, Others Injured In Imo Road Crash / Naija In Slovenia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.