Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,340 members, 7,910,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 04:00 PM

Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC (1683 Views)

NAFDAC To Test Indomie Noodles, Says Importation Already Banned / Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare / Breast Fibroadenoma -when You Get A False Cancer Scare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by Viz007(m): 6:02am On May 02, 2023
•Commences sampling today

The National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, said it will commence random sampling of Indomie noodles, including the seasoning, from the production facilities.

This is coming on the heels of the recalling of indomie noodles by Taiwan and Malaysian authorities, following the discovery of ethylene oxide, a cancer-causing agent.

Announcing this in a statement, the Director-General of the agency, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, who explained that the compound of interest was ethylene oxide said, already, the Director of the Food Lab Services Directorate has been engaged and has started working on the methodology for the analysis.

Adeyeye said: “Indomie noodles have been banned from being imported into the country for many years. It is one of the foods on the government prohibition list. It is not allowed in Nigeria, and therefore not registered by NAFDAC.

“What we are doing is an extra caution to ensure that the product is not smuggled in, and if so, our post-marketing surveillance would detect it. We also want to be sure that the spices used for the Indomie and other noodles in Nigeria are tested.

“That is what NAFDAC Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, FSAN, and Post Marketing Surveillance, PMS, are doing this week at the production facilities and in the market, respectively.”

She, however, promised that Nigerians will be duly updated with the outcomes of the investigation.
According to the World Health Organisation, WHO, ethylene oxide is a colourless, highly reactive and flammable gas widely used as an intermediate in the production of various chemicals.

WHO, in a report, noted that findings from animal investigations, test systems, and epidemiological findings suggested an increase in the incidence of human cancer.

It also added that the report concludes that ethylene oxide should be considered a probable human carcinogen and that its levels in the environment should be kept as low as feasible.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/cancer-scare-why-we-banned-indomie-noodles-nafdac/
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by Viz007(m): 6:04am On May 02, 2023
Noodles has long been associated with numerous health problems. The question is why did it take NAFDAC this long to realise this? Why now?

6 Likes

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by press9jatv: 6:04am On May 02, 2023
Good one from nafdac dg
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by Okiton: 6:05am On May 02, 2023
grin
It's only God that saves us in this country.
For so long we have been consuming this poison unknowingly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by BuhariAdvocate: 6:09am On May 02, 2023
You read the message?
Viz007:
Noodles has long been associated with numerous health problems. The question is why did it take NAFDAC this long to realise this? Why now?

1 Like

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by coolcharm(m): 6:09am On May 02, 2023
Always reactive... Never proactive. How do dey even intend to enforce the ban? Let's all just wait for the next line of action from Taiwan and Malaysia, because NAFDAC is clueless.

3 Likes

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by divinehand2003(m): 6:09am On May 02, 2023
Indomie generation won't like this news at all. NAFDAC should be prepared for widespread protest if alternatives are not provided.

Is it only INDOMIE noodles that has been fingered as cancer causing? What about other brands of noodles? Hope the other one manufactured locally are safe to consume?

2 Likes

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by quinox947: 6:13am On May 02, 2023
Viz007:
They know but had been collecting bribes.
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by Kingray10: 6:13am On May 02, 2023
Why is it that, it's after Malaysia made the claim that Nafdac chose to ban it

1 Like

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by relaxandsmile: 6:17am On May 02, 2023
Just like saying you banned Belgium tyres while it is everywhere in the market.

1 Like

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by olisaEze(m): 6:31am On May 02, 2023
Indomie noodles has not been banned in Nigeria, Op get ur story right and stop trying to create a panic!
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by helinues: 6:32am On May 02, 2023
There is going to be a big war with anything fake product under the new administration.

The war is going to be big to the extent that any culprits resisting arrest could be shot at sight.
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by HNICEARTH: 6:34am On May 02, 2023
"Adeyeye said: “Indomie noodles have been banned from being imported into the country for many years. It is one of the foods on the government prohibition list. It is not allowed in Nigeria, and therefore not registered by NAFDAC".

For many years? Is this a joke? These guys are clowns

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by SisterAnn(f): 6:39am On May 02, 2023
helinues:
There is going to be a big war with anything fake product under the new administration.

The war is going to be big to the extent that any culprits resisting arrest could be shot at sight.
Always talking to hear your own voice. What is the meaning of the gibberish you wrote? Gibberish used to be your only vocabulary at a time. cheesy
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by SisterAnn(f): 6:41am On May 02, 2023
HNICEARTH:
"Adeyeye said: “Indomie noodles have been banned from being imported into the country for many years. It is one of the foods on the government prohibition list. It is not allowed in Nigeria, and therefore not registered by NAFDAC".

We don't know if it's the reporter or the agency that are mad infact.

2 Likes

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by orisa37: 6:47am On May 02, 2023
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER.
THANK YOU NAFDAC.
NEXT TIME BE THE FIRST TO DISCOVER SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

1 Like

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by dominique(f): 6:50am On May 02, 2023
The same Indomie I'm still seeing on the shelves?

1 Like

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by Creamypie(m): 6:58am On May 02, 2023
Useless nafdac.all indomie possess same cancer-causing agent, whether imported or not. If not for this Asian country, we for no know.avoid all brands of indomie. Avoid energy drinks. Cancer and kidney/ liver failure weren't actually existing till both became consumed within last 2 decades.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by MrAgbako: 7:00am On May 02, 2023
That is why I don't eat indomie. I'm okay eating spaghetti
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by IamANigerianMan: 7:10am On May 02, 2023
Viz007:
It is not truth, it was banned because of DANGOTE, today small indomie we used to buy 25 naira is 200 naira , nonsense , though , I don't eat indomie but telling lies is what I don't want.

2 Likes

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by NOC1(m): 7:11am On May 02, 2023
Viz007:

Listen to yourself, is Nigeria the only country eating and manufacturing noodles?

Moreover the indomie that failed the test was not made for Nigeria.

All processed and canned foods are equally not good the main thing is for you to moderate your intake on them

2 Likes

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by Jestin: 7:21am On May 02, 2023
I hope hunger will not finish the indomie generation? For me , na akpu sure pass 😂

1 Like

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by falcon01: 7:34am On May 02, 2023
Ahhh... na indomie dey my front like this ooo
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by kkins25(m): 7:46am On May 02, 2023
Sukkot, another reason to japa😂😂😂. NAFDAC wey no get lab😂
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by polite2(m): 8:25am On May 02, 2023
Done with de laboratory test ? Or doing eye service
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by nazicartel(m): 11:27am On May 02, 2023
So it's Taiwan and Malaysia that told Nigeria that indomie has some deficiencies grin grin grin grin ..... Anyway. Dangote and the rest are smart business men. They can work with the next govt to monopolies noodles and he will be the only person producing and directing Noodles market.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by sukkot: 11:53am On May 02, 2023
kkins25:
Sukkot, another reason to japa😂😂😂. NAFDAC wey no get lab😂
grin grin my Chief I am not anti japa at all ooo. I dey use those my anti japa threads just to catch cruise ni oooo lol. It's strictly cruising threads I create when I am bored. People get very emotional and interactive in those types of thread. So it's strictly cruising. I am pro japa lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by kkins25(m): 12:35pm On May 02, 2023
sukkot:
grin grin my Chief I am not anti japa at all ooo. I dey use those my anti japa threads just to catch cruise ni oooo lol. It's strictly cruising threads I create when I am bored. People get very emotional and interactive in those types of thread. So it's strictly cruising. I am pro japa lol
Yes sir! We knw na😁😁

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by sukkot: 1:12pm On May 02, 2023
kkins25:
Yes sir! We knw na😁😁
cheesy cheesy
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by IkeIgboNile(m): 1:26pm On May 02, 2023
Good one from NAFDEC but what about other noodles produced by other companies? I hope the ban was made with the interest of Nigerians at heart and not a scheme for Dangote to monopolise the noodles industry like he did in sugar and cement.

Dangote is a shrewd business man but he doesn't do well in an open market where competition is high. Without monopoly or government help,he's an average business man.

1 Like

Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by Jamisilatest: 5:32pm On May 05, 2023
Nigerians Are Safe to Consume Locally Produced Indomie Instant Noodles

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has refuted reports making the rounds online that it has banned Indomie Instant Noodles assuring Nigerians of their safety while consuming the locally produced Indomie Instant Noodles. The regulatory body said on Monday through its Director-General, Prof Mrs Mojisola Adeyeye.
https://proshare.co/articles/nigerians-are-safe-to-consume-locally-produced-indomie-instant-noodles?menu=Business&classification=Read&category=Products%20%26%20Services

Viz007:
•Commences sampling today

The National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, said it will commence random sampling of Indomie noodles, including the seasoning, from the production facilities.

This is coming on the heels of the recalling of indomie noodles by Taiwan and Malaysian authorities, following the discovery of ethylene oxide, a cancer-causing agent.

Announcing this in a statement, the Director-General of the agency, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, who explained that the compound of interest was ethylene oxide said, already, the Director of the Food Lab Services Directorate has been engaged and has started working on the methodology for the analysis.

Adeyeye said: “Indomie noodles have been banned from being imported into the country for many years. It is one of the foods on the government prohibition list. It is not allowed in Nigeria, and therefore not registered by NAFDAC.

“What we are doing is an extra caution to ensure that the product is not smuggled in, and if so, our post-marketing surveillance would detect it. We also want to be sure that the spices used for the Indomie and other noodles in Nigeria are tested.

“That is what NAFDAC Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, FSAN, and Post Marketing Surveillance, PMS, are doing this week at the production facilities and in the market, respectively.”

She, however, promised that Nigerians will be duly updated with the outcomes of the investigation.
According to the World Health Organisation, WHO, ethylene oxide is a colourless, highly reactive and flammable gas widely used as an intermediate in the production of various chemicals.

WHO, in a report, noted that findings from animal investigations, test systems, and epidemiological findings suggested an increase in the incidence of human cancer.

It also added that the report concludes that ethylene oxide should be considered a probable human carcinogen and that its levels in the environment should be kept as low as feasible.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/cancer-scare-why-we-banned-indomie-noodles-nafdac/
Re: Cancer Scare: Why We Banned Indomie Noodles —NAFDAC by MainblockAngle: 11:56am On May 09, 2023
Simply put, there are imported noodles and there are locally proceed noodles. The locally produced ones have been certified safe.
HNICEARTH:

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Big Is The Average Penis? Science Finds Out / Vitiligo Cure / Health Benefits Of Lime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.