Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,867 members, 7,889,903 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 12:34 AM

Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os (861 Views)

Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Re: Software That Extract Installed Drivers On A System Is Here. / Ubuntu Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by randa(m): 2:57pm On Sep 04, 2007
i have been having varoius issues with my xp pro os on ma laptop, now a friend has converted me to linux, i requested for the cds and they have arrived, the question is does linux support 3d & animation software like max, maya, corel draw and swishmax?, another issue is that when ever i reinstall my os for whatever reasons most of the drivers get missing including the network controller, ethernet drivers, sound driver (in this case sigmatel audio controller) i have to download via my desktop, copy to a cd or flash drive,a dnthen to my lappie, what are ur suggestions as per this,i love that interface and graphics on ubuntu and i want to install it as soon as possible, but need to know what to do.
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by esquire(m): 5:50pm On Sep 04, 2007
There is blender which is an animation software very powerful and it is in ubuntu, u don't need coreldraw you have Gimp in linux which is Adobe photoshop class i.e is better than coreldraw. As for Swish you can port dreamweaver to linux through WINE adewale use is using it. As for drivers linux does require no driver all your hardware came recognised and configured. Bro welcome to freedom am not always online but you can phone bigbrover on this nos 08022982697 he'll get you the latest ubuntu dvd better than the cd edition cos it contain lots of software. Cheerio
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by randa(m): 8:16pm On Sep 04, 2007
esqiure thanks a lot, i did install it ans was qiute pleased when my drivers were picked up, thanks, no reason to bother, the only issue i have is that of playing mp3s on ma system, i tried to download amarok but could not get all the mumbo jumbo that comes with installing it, will call bigbrovar and see what he can do for me as regards playing dvds, cd, and mp3s or do u have a suggestion to that effect?
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by bigrovar(m): 10:01pm On Sep 04, 2007
@ randa
welcome to the club man, like esquire said i have a couple of files that u would need to get ur ubuntu going, so trying calling me and i will be glad to share them with u, about the photoshop, yes Gimp is its equivalent on ubuntu. for corel there is inkscape which is lovely, but if u insist on using the windows apps u can always use wine to install applications native to windoze, or even install xp on ur ubuntu thru virtualisation as a slave os to do all those dirty works, about the mp3 issue, the thing is that ubuntu does not support anything that is not open source so codecs like mp3 does not come default with ur system, but i have a the packages u need to run that on ur system so no sweat in that, the thing about the cd is that it comes only with the basic os no additions but i have the dvd and also the ubuntu ultimate cd, so like i said try contact me, but b4 u do please can u giv the full specs of ur system and if u have access to the net, what way u connect to the net, abeg let me know, hope to hear from u soon mate, cus my ubuntu experience as been greate and a lot of love has been showed to me by ubuntu forks like afolabi and esquire so am itching to show the love to someone else. smiley, cheers
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by randa(m): 3:03pm On Sep 05, 2007
bigrovar, thanks for the concern, i use a dell d600, 1.6ghz, 60gb hdd, pentium m and i connect via lan @ d office, the speed is relatively good, i need to be able to do most of my graphics cos thats what i do,will call u, i also heard that xmms can play mp3s and blenderis cool 4 graphics. what is ur take on that? my no is 08069194675
ubuntu linux for life
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by bigrovar(m): 10:37pm On Sep 05, 2007
bigrovar, thanks for the concern, i use a dell d600, 1.6ghz, 60gb hdd, pentium m

that is more than the required average so u wont have a problem.everything would run fine , by the way u didnt tell me the size of ur ram,

and i connect via lan @ d office, the speed is relatively good,
very good u will need it and by the way ur system would connect to it automatically if it doesnt then the manual configuration is very easy

i need to be able to do most of my graphics because thats what i do
well there are many programms that u can use for graphics u should feel at home,
will call u,

ok i will be expecting ur call
i also heard that xmms can play mp3s and blenderis cool 4 graphics. what is your take on that?
xmms is very good but i dont use it that much cus it cant manage ur music, i prefer amarok, and dont worry about mpe i just made an apt cd of all my packages wh u can easily add to ur system without downloading any thing.
my no is 08069194675
taken down

ubuntu linux for life
yes o
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by randa(m): 7:40pm On Sep 06, 2007
hi ma man , sorry about the ram thing i use 512mb about to shoot to 1g by next week, how can i get the cd u compiled, but i got three questions
1. the command lines for installin programs aint like windows where u have set up files that do most of the work, i guess i might learm more with time

2. cant seem to see my inbuilt bluetooth module or icon though i was able to detect it beign installed

3. cant seem to download automatix that can enable me run windows based programs like swishmax (which is what i do work with most of the time)

trying to convince my colleagues to jump to ubuntu but need to sort this out , know how to add command lines wether through the terminal or from add n remove.

thanks, ur no doesnt seem to go through
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by bigrovar(m): 8:02pm On Sep 06, 2007
u know what we need to hookup maybe this weekend, then i will try to sort u out, about the command line, to be frank i have never used it to install b4 i use either synaptics to install or i just install .deb files their are like .exe in windows about the blutooth, like i said see me, their some things we cant talk about on thread, u will understand beta face 2 face
Re: Programs And Drivers On Ubuntu Os by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:14pm On Sep 06, 2007
randa welcome to the land of ubuntu, most of your questions are already answered questions. Like brovar said he has some cd's, those cd's would save u time.

About your bluetooth i believe its installed, all you just need to do is install kbluetooth and its on the cd brovar would give you. It allows you to send receive files

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Lan And Sound Driver To My Dell Latitude D600 / Hp Pavilion Dv 9000[clean) @75k / Hdd Sync Required On Ibm Server

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.