Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,465 members, 7,904,725 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 06:18 PM

Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term (46184 Views)

Argentina VP Kirchner Sentenced To Six Years Jail Term Over Fraud / Nicolas Sarkozy Gets 1-year Jail Term For Illegal Campaign Financing / Brazilian Ex-President, Lula, Surrenders To Police, Begins 12-year Jail Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by GOVERNORR: 7:23pm On May 05, 2023
kolafolabi:
Well clarified

I actually didn't see how many years Ekwerenmadu himself will serve and..
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by wasi9ice: 7:54pm On May 05, 2023
Iysbso unfortunate and funny as well,
Unfortunate because Ekweremadu never saw this coming and he is in today with his wife, his family will be in disarray and his sick daughter will be left with little or no one to care for her ,,

Funny because He used his money sent the boy to UK and Enter jail..
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by johnaruson(m): 7:59pm On May 05, 2023
11 successful Kidney transplants was recently done in FMC Umuahia Abia State. Why shopping abroad. Looting public funds being a senator forever couldn't save him.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by dvkot(m): 8:01pm On May 05, 2023
tammie24:
implicatiing the Ekweremadus like that

There's no way he didn't know
implicating? Are you kidding me? You guys should stop all this b.s abeg
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by GreyLaw(m): 8:18pm On May 05, 2023
marsup:
Karma is a gift that keeps on giving...
If the cap fits, wear it.. undecided undecided

Karma no dey give anything. 99.99% of Nigerian politicians who are thieves live long and go Scot free. Ekweremadu matter no get anything to fo with karma.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by GreyLaw(m): 8:20pm On May 05, 2023
Mummyimbecile:
lol, how did you come up with the statistics that 90% of people in jail are black and poor?

Well, I don't know which Western country you reside in. But here in the United States where I live, the State of Vermont to be precise, I can tell you that there are whites in prison too.

You didn't reply the guy or disprove him. He said majority are Blacks and poor, you said there are Whites too. That doesn't disprove the guy's theory.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by GreyLaw(m): 8:21pm On May 05, 2023
pacificom:

9 fucking years with hard labour. Britain seem to be the destination for lawless Nigerian politicians to pay a worthy price for their sins.

Where did they write hard labour in his sentence? Maximum sentence is Life imprisonment. He got only 9 years. He is a politician. He will be in a beautiful jail.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by OBTOREPA(m): 8:26pm On May 05, 2023
DrAda:

Dont hate the player...
I don't hate him,I only hate his actions (play) it could cost a life or even life's. For God's sake he had agreement with them,it was not by force. At the end of the day, the life of the girl is still in shambo,her parents in prison.
Whatsoever we do ,let us count the cost of our actions. This is now the cost of his yahoo game. When his kidney didn't match, he already has his money, he should've go or beg them to remain in London.
If you were to be in there shoes, will you do otherwise?
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by OChimex: 8:36pm On May 05, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:
Assuming the case was done in Nigeria, I am so sure that Ike Ekweremadu and his wife will go scot-free while the boy will be punished or even killed.

I continually ask myself this question:

Can justice really prevail in Nigeria?

Once you have enough money in Nigeria, you can even kill and no one will question you.

Nigeria shall be great again.

With the kind of crappy and evil Nigerians living in Nigeria, I doubt it.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by pacificom: 8:56pm On May 05, 2023
GreyLaw:

Where did they write hard labour in his sentence? Maximum sentence is Life imprisonment. He got only 9 years. He is a politician. He will be in a beautiful jail.
Forget that nonsense. There is no executive prison in Britain. Anyway he won't feel too special by the time he meet other white VIP inmate there. He will only be like the prince of zamunda to the Igbo brothers wey dey also chop beans alongside.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by AlphaWolf27: 1:05am On May 06, 2023
Something tells me this family offended someone really strong before. This is pay-back.

1 Like

Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by AlphaWolf27: 1:07am On May 06, 2023
Beautiful jail indeed. This dude will get all the sex he never wanted inside that prison. That is for sure. Lol.....He's gonna be someone's bitch.

GreyLaw:

Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by onayemi1: 3:07am On May 06, 2023
So Nigeria should close all business ties with the British because of one man and his wife. Do you know the number of Nigerians living in the UK?

Antipob777:
I repeat this is witch hunting. The Nigerian govt must as a matter of urgency shutdown all British business in Nigeria and cut off diplomatic tiers with the UK.

There is no justice here knowing the boy played smart on Ekwerenmadu.

I condemn this conviction, I condemn it, I condemn it.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by 7arrows: 4:44am On May 06, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:
Assuming the case was done in Nigeria, I am so sure that Ike Ekweremadu and his wife will go scot-free while the boy will be punished or even killed.

Once you have enough money in Nigeria, you can even kill and no one will question you.

When we have killers in government what do u expect? People that can kill innocent protesters and nothing happens. A corn tree where one man with so much ODDS against him can come out and say its his turn to be president and truly he got declared. Shame.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by BigBashiru: 4:58am On May 06, 2023
blowjohn:
Wud UK do same if they were American citizens?

There is something about this trial that doesn't seem right.

This is the first of such a case in the hsitory of the UK.

The guys organs were not takes after all.

I have a feeling the sentencing was politicized

You may be right but the negro needs to be taught a lesson to sit in their own country and develop it and this judgement serves that purpose....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by franugo(m): 5:15am On May 06, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
why do I feel this case is overflogged and the sentencing non-reflective of actual crime?

Most Nigerians are only happy because Ekweremadu is a 'looting politician' and not necessarily because of the 'crime' he commited

the guy is not a minor,he know fully well he his to donate a kidney, the issue is claiming he's their family when he's not

this is what 'most' parent will have naturally do, they will offer whatever they can if free donor is not comming forth

Seconded. While I couldn't care less with the convictions, not like Ekeremadu has not been harvesting national treasury for decades, the truth of this particular case seem straightforward honestly. He, Nwamini, obviously knew what he was going there to do, no one will sponsor you to UK on an all expense paid trip just to get you to work for them, shey workers no dey UK again ni? The problem arose when it was noticed that the guy was not a suitable match, nigga saw his chance at a better life fading and decided to take a drastic action. Very brash and manipulative, but it's obviously working out for him.
Anyway, the case was never going to favour the Ekweremadus once it got to a judge, a willingness to pay someone to give an organ is a crime, whether the donor agrees or not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by franugo(m): 5:18am On May 06, 2023
onayemi1:
So Nigeria should close all business ties with the British because of one man and his wife. Do you know the number of Nigerians living in the UK?

He's obviously delusional. Whether Ekweremadu was scammed or not is not a concern of the court, they were sentenced because they were going to PAY for the organ, which is a crime in UK law
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by franugo(m): 5:24am On May 06, 2023
OBTOREPA:

I don't hate him,I only hate his actions (play) it could cost a life or even life's. For God's sake he had agreement with them,it was not by force. At the end of the day, the life of the girl is still in shambo,her parents in prison.
Whatsoever we do ,let us count the cost of our actions. This is now the cost of his yahoo game. When his kidney didn't match, he already has his money, he should've go or beg them to remain in London.
If you were to be in there shoes, will you do otherwise?

Lol, he was never going to remain in UK once they noticed his kidney wasn't a match. What confuses me in this case is why Nwamini was not tested in Nigeria....why did he have to be flown out to UK for a simple test to be done to confirm if he'd be a match? Why start the process of getting the boy to UK if the test was not carried out? Perhaps a test was done and the boy paid the doctor to say it was a match? This country na film sha
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by eldoradoxx: 7:25am On May 06, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:

Judges and lawyers are part of the huge problem Nigeria has. They take bribe to compromise just any case. In the end, the country is being over run by crime and criminals because justice is bought and sold here. Dem never born any judge wey go convict Ekweremadu in Nigeria. That's how useless your judiciary is. In UK, Ekweremadu was treated by the court as a nobody which is what we all ought to be before the law.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by drmuchin: 9:26am On May 06, 2023
Odewaleadesoye:

[color=green]Nigeria can never be GREAT[color=green]
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by eyinjuege: 1:46pm On May 06, 2023
Quality20:
What is then d use of those Igbo organizations, including ohaneze

Those organisations were not created to get people to escape judgement.
He committed a crime and is doing the time
Ohaneze should have never even got involved in the matter, otherwise they will lose credibility.
Personally, I suspect the boy in question knew what he was going to do there, and since he was not a match did not want to come back to Nigeria, and instead decided to seek asylum abroad.
However, it is still a crime to source for donors with financial incentives so a crime has been committed by the Ekweremadus.
Nigerians should stop with the sentiments. Stop expecting other countries will allow you get away with a crime.
Re: Everything To Know About Ekweremadu, Wife Jail Term by eyinjuege: 2:00pm On May 06, 2023
Och77:
SOME LITTLE DETAILS YOU DID NOT KNOW ABOUT IN THE EKWEREMADU CASE.

David Ukpo Nwamini is the 21-year-old Lagos street hawker who was to give his kidney to Ekweremadu’s daughter IN London. When he was interviewed at the hospital in London, they asked him if he knew he was to donate his kidney to Sonia Ekweremadu.

He first told them that he had no money to donate. They explained to him that it was his kidney that he was to donate. He asked them what was kidney.

Initially, the doctors thought it was a question of language, since David’s English was not good enough. However, they eventually understood that David did not know which human organ was called kidney.

In other words, he did not know what organ he was to give Sonia. That led the doctors to conclude that the procedure was not well-explained to David and that is the number one requirement by law.

According to the law, you must explain to the organ donor the procedure and all the health risks associated with the procedure. It is only then that the donor is taken to have informedly consented.
When the doctors found that David did not understand what he was about to get involved in, they declared him a mismatch.

The term “mismatch” is a technical generic language to indicate that the proposed organ harvesting has not met all the requirements.

Many in Nigeria have misunderstood the term “mismatch” in this case to meant that David’s kidney was not suitable for Sonia.

No! There was nothing wrong with David’s Kidney.

To donate an organ, the facts must match both the law and the science governing the procedure. While the kidney matched the scientific requirement, the facts did not match the legal requirement.

So, it was declared a mismatch. To help you understand it better, the term “mismatch” means there is a discrepancy.

The doctors who interviewed David did not and could not have determined that a crime was committed. The doctors did not have sufficient information to reach such conclusion then.

They felt uncomfortable with the discrepancies in the information they had about the donor and his decisions and whether he had made up his mind.

For instance, the doctors did not get involved in how David was brought to them or whether he was paid. It was not their duty to deal with that. It was actually when Ekweremadu and Dr. Obinna attempted to return David to Nigeria that the problem started.

David expected that he would be given a job in London as he was told before he left Nigeria. They did not give him job and they did not send him to school. Instead of all he was promised, he was asked to prepare to return to Nigeria and David ran away from the house where he was kept.

As hunger wired him, he reported himself to the police. To win the immediate protection of the police, he lied about his age by telling them he was 15.

It was when he was interviewed by the police that the information came out which established that a crime was committed. For instance, it was at the police station that they asked him if he was paid money and he said yes he was paid N270,000. When the police checked the WhatsApp chats between Ekweremadu and Dr. Obeta they realized that Ekweremadu actually paid 4.5 million for Obeta to pay to David. But Obeta only paid David N270,000 and pocketed the rest.

In fact, Ekweremadu tried to keep himself away from certain details of the deal. That was why Ekweremadu never discussed money with David. In fact, he did not deal directly with David. That was what made it possible for Obeta to cheat him. Ekweremadu believed that the 4.5 million went to David. But since he was not dealing with David directly, he never knew that Obeta pocketed most of the money.

However, the law viewed Ekweremadu’s decision not to deal directly with David as a typical behavior of a big man who knew that he is getting involved in a crime. He would usually try to create some distance between him and the crime, yet he will be funding the crime from afar.

Otherwise, how come you never wanted to meet the boy that is giving his kidney to your daughter and whom you called cousin to your daughter (which actually makes him your nephew)? Rather than see the non-direct dealing as evidence of his innocence, it was seen as deliberate or willful ignorance aimed at evading legal responsibility.

One of the key factors that worked against Ekweremadu was that he lied. On three official documents he signed, he stated that David was Sonia’s cousin. But in all the WhatsApp chats he had with the doctor and his own brother over the matter, he referred to David as “that guy”. Hence the question: “You knew he was not Sonia’s cousin. While you signed that he was her cousin, when you wanted to say the truth, you referred to him as “that guy”, meaning you didn’t know him or even remember his name”. Ekweremadu admitted in court that he lied and apologized.

NOTE: I decided to provide these details because I have read somewhere it was being said that David misled Ekweremadu and took advantage of him. No, David is a real victim. He did not manipulate them. He was manipulated by Dr. Obinna Obeta, who was working for the Ekweremadu.

*Copied*.

Hmm, the Dr did a lot of damage too.
He should have explained to David what he was going to do abroad. Imagine, the boy didn't even know what a kidney was.
I'm sure David would not have agreed, especially with 270K incentive.
Perhaps if he was given the 4.5million, he would not have minded coming back to Nigeria, as he would have something to fall back on if he came back.
It's important to know the laws of every country in certain matters pertaining to one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cameron Finally Leaves Downing St For The Last Time. / "Merchant Of Death" & Arms Dealer Viktor Bout Joins Russian Parliament (Photos) / President Museveni Makes Call By The Roadside. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.