Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,141 members, 7,916,343 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:57 PM

Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician (2884 Views)

25% In FCT: Tribunal Dismisses LP/Obi Petition Against Tinubu / Atiku Will Sweep North, Get Required 25% In All States - Babachir Lawal (Video) / Babachir Lawal: Tinubu Will Not Get 25% In Borno And Most Of The Fulani States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Throwback: 3:00pm On May 09, 2023
iSense247:

Throwback just like his fellows are irredeemable. No amount of understanding can give him a iota of understanding. It's deliberate.

Olodo want to teach me English.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Throwback: 3:05pm On May 09, 2023
ganisucks:

Wrong. A comma before AND is an Oxford comma. Oxford commas are simply for fancy. Whether you put a comma or not, the conjunction AND satisfies the function. AND is the conjunction, not the comma.

Also Nigeria is a big man country. Our law givers always like inputing the maths and English credits clause in most of our laws. They borrowed this thinking from the British: the masters of class and levels.

Know book before you disgrace yourself.

The comma before the AND would have meant the FCT was independent of all the states of the federation. The effect is that the rule of 25% in 2/3 would apply to all the states of the federation, and separately apply to FCT.

Without the comma, the and is only reminding that Nigeria is made up of all the states (36 of them) and FCT.

Nigeria is always referred to since 1996, as 36 States and FCT.

That is the totality of Nigeria that serves as the catchment area where the rule of 25% of 2/3 applies.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by colorsofrainbow: 3:08pm On May 09, 2023
Throwback:
Foolish logic.

Nigeria is composed of 36 States and FCT as a totality.

Securing minimum of 25% in 2/3 of Nigeria is equal to 2/3 of 36 States and FCT.

FCT has to be called separately since it is not a state, but it is part of Nigeria from which the 2/3 must be met.

Your logic is only right if there was a comma sign (,) before the AND, them it would mean the rule applies to 36 States and separately applies to FCT.

Without the comma sign the rule applies to the totality of Nigeria, and Nigeria is composed of 36 States and FCT.

There was no OR intended, and FCT is not also separate from the totality of Nigeria as the catchment area.

Even a primary school pupil knows that since 1996 when the last 6 states were created, Nigeria is defined as being composed of 36 States and FCT.

Did Tinubu score 25% or more beyond 2/3 of the components of Nigeria that serve as the catchment area, which is 36 States and FCT?

Yes he did with 30 States, remaining only 6 States and FCT.

Case closed!

U guys hope on technicalities & not merit. The only hope of agbado cretins but hopefully u guys will be disappointed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:16pm On May 09, 2023
I think we shld directly ask d pesin/ppl dat wrote it to explain to us better wat dey meant!

abi nor be pesin write am?

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by raskymonojendor: 3:20pm On May 09, 2023
Ibrahimcoomasie:

Gbam.

FCT in the above is dependent on the rest of the sentence.

If it was independent, it would have been two seperate sentences that can stand alone.

explanation:

A.
2. 25% requirement in 2/3 of states, and 25% in FCT.

Two independent clauses joined together by "comma" & "and".

B.
The constitution is instead written as
2. 25% requirement in 2/3 of states and in FCT.

One independent clause and one dependent clause joined together by "and".

Throwback:

Know book before you disgrace yourself.

The comma before the AND would have meant the FCT was independent of all the states of the federation. The effect is that the rule of 25% in 2/3 would apply to all the states of the federation, and separately apply to FCT.

Without the comma, the and is only reminding that Nigeria is made up of all the states (36 of them) and FCT.

Nigeria is always referred to since 1996, as 36 States and FCT.

That is the totality of Nigeria that serves as the catchment area where the rule of 25% of 2/3 applies.
The constitution was brilliantly written. It was written in the days when someone with a form 6 speaks and writes better English than the current crops of Nigerian graduates.

It's clear and concise enough. Problem is that a lot of recent graduates do not understand English grammar, comprehension and technical communications well enough.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Ken4Christ: 3:24pm On May 09, 2023
iSense247:
I never understood the much difference between the use of two important conjunctions i.e. AND & OR until I reflected on what I have been teaching my students in Logic, Probability and Concord classes. Today I want to use my knowledge of Logic to prove that it is mandatory for a presidential candidate to win one-quarter of votes in FCT before he/she could be declared winner. So as to make my explanation short, simple and straightforward, I would be using Probability and Concord for further explanation at a later time.

Firstly, what does the constitution says:
There are two (2) conditions for determining a winner of a presidential election:

1. A presidential candidate must secure the highest number of votes cast at the election

2. He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation and FCT.

The main cause of argument is at the bolded (and).

In Logical Reasoning, AND & OR are not synonymous. These two words have distinct meaning. While AND is a CONJUNCTION, OR is a DISJUNCTION.

In set notation the intersection of two substatements represent the conjunction of every statement. A conjunction is true only if both of the substatements are true.

True + True = True
True + False = False
False +True = False
False + False = False

Also, in set notation the union of two substatements represent the disnjunction of every substatement. A disnjunction is true if either of its substatements is true or if they are both true (it is only false if they are both false.

True + True = True
True + False = True
False + True = True
False + False = False

My thought

The second electoral criteria above consists of two substatements separated by "and." For the whole statement to be true (fulfilled), the two substatements must be fulfilled.

I think those who drafted the constitution intended to use OR but mistakenly use AND out of ignorance. Their motive was to use OR instead of AND after all the people living in Abuja are not more special than the people living in other parts of the country. So the only condition by which Tinubu can win this argument in court is if the supreme court judges decide to help him out by looking at "technicalities'' instead of what Nigeria Constitution actually says.

In conclusion, to be declared Presidential winner, a candidate must secure at least 1/4th (25%) of votes cast in 2/3rd of the entire 36 States of Nigeria (that is in 24 states). Also, the candidate must also secure not less than 25% of the votes cast at the FCT.

Does it require mathematics? The English grammar used is very simple. It does not contain any ambiguity.

Besides, a case has been previously judged concerning this. And the judge affirmed the 25% in FCT is required. And this judgment acts as a precedent to every other related judgment unless Nigeria judiciary wants to introduce anarchy.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Newton2024: 3:25pm On May 09, 2023
MichaelSokoto:
I think we directly ask d pesin/ppl dat wrote it to explain to us better wat dey meant!

abi nor be pesin write am?
The constitution is simple to understand. It is riggers who are relying on "technicalities'' that are the ones deliberately confusing us. And is compulsory, or is optional. The constitution uses and which is a conjunction or intersection.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Throwback: 3:33pm On May 09, 2023
raskymonojendor:

The constitution was brilliantly written. It was written in the days when someone with a form 6 speaks and writes better English than the current crops of Nigerian graduates.

It's clear and concise enough. Problem is that a lot of recent graduates do not understand English grammar, comprehension and technical communications well enough.

Exactly!

Do not mind the illiterates.

3 Likes

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Kingsleykc: 3:37pm On May 09, 2023
Parachoko:
So what did the Constitution say about a candidate who win in the 36 State but lost in the FCT? What did the constitution say should happen when a scenerio like that plays out?
If you loose FCT and still couldn't get 25% of vote cast, there will be a rerun

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Throwback: 3:37pm On May 09, 2023
Newton2024:
The constitution is simple to understand. It is riggers who are relying on "technicalities'' that are the ones deliberately confusing us. And is compulsory, or is optional. The constitution uses and which is a conjunction or intersection.

The And is only there because Nigeria is all states and FCT.

That is the totality of Nigeria's geographical composition.

So 2/3 of Nigeria is 2/3 of 36 States and FCT.

If the rule separately applied to the FCT, there will be a comma before the And

2 Likes

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Parachoko: 3:48pm On May 09, 2023
Kingsleykc:
If you loose FCT and still couldn't get 25% of vote cast, there will be a rerun
Which part of the constitution states this?
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by REDshouse(m): 4:08pm On May 09, 2023
ganisucks:

Wrong. A comma before AND is an Oxford comma. Oxford commas are simply for fancy. Whether you put a comma or not, the conjunction AND satisfies the function. AND is the conjunction, not the comma.

Also Nigeria is a big man country. Our law givers always like inputing the maths and English credits clause in most of our laws. They borrowed this thinking from the British: the masters of class and levels.
which one be Oxford Comma again ...you can also write ur own English dictionary and we can easily make reference to it. Our constitution is written using Oxford dictionary, not okigwe dictionary
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by ganisucks(f): 4:25pm On May 09, 2023
REDshouse:
which one be Oxford Comma again ...you can also write ur own English dictionary and we can easily make reference to it. Our constitution is written using Oxford dictionary, not okigwe dictionary
I was trying to help Throwback understand, but he seems more concerned with winning an argument.
AND is a member of the FANBOY club. Throwback should go and read up on FANBOY.

What he's implying is Oxford commas, but he doesn't know.

It's as simple as this: Tunde and Aisha are going to school.

Throwback shot himself in the foot. There's no comma, so therefore the constitution is referring to two separate things, not one combined together.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Throwback: 4:33pm On May 09, 2023
ganisucks:

I was trying to help Throwback understand, but he seems more concerned with winning an argument.

Throwback shot himself in the foot. There's no comma, so therefore the constitution is referring to two separate things, not one combined together.

Case 1: 25% or more in 2/3 of (all states and FCT).

Case 2: 25% or more in 2/3 of (all states), and (FCT)

Case 1 means Tinubu has no business securing 25% in FCT particularly.

Case 2 means Tinubu needs to secure 25% in FCT particularly.

Luckily for Tinubu, Case 1 is what is in the constitution.

Case closed.

Everyone knows Nigeria is composed of all the 36 states and FCT (37 component units in total)

That is the catchment area from which 2/3 is required.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by raskymonojendor: 4:38pm On May 09, 2023
ganisucks:

"And" is a member of FANBOY club when used with a comma before the conjunction i.e. you are joining 2 independent clauses so that you don't have a run-on sentence.

In your example above and as in the constitution,

You/they used "and" for similar, connected, or related things.

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by DECLAN2015(m): 4:38pm On May 09, 2023
floret23:
He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation and FCT

He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation or FCT

The two statements above are not the same. And means all conditions must be fulfilled. Or mean one condition is to be fulfilled. Tribunal should not result to "technicalities'' this time around. Let common sense prevail.

U don't seems to know the implication of this
So it the people at Abuja gang up against a presidential candidate ....
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by oyatz(m): 4:47pm On May 09, 2023
AntiTerrorist:
Blame the mistake or ignorance of those who drafted the constitution. They should have or instead of and. The two words have different interpretations.

1) 'at least 25% in the States and the FCT

2) 'at least 25% IN the States and IN the FCT

The constitution stipulated the first but Obidents are saying it means the second statement.
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Newton2024: 4:50pm On May 09, 2023
DECLAN2015:

U don't seems to know the implication of this
So it the people at Abuja gang up against a presidential candidate ....
Nothing bad if the people at Abuja gang up against a presidential candidate. It is still part of democracy. The implication is positive.
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Enice(m): 4:54pm On May 09, 2023
iSense247:
I never understood the much difference between the use of two important conjunctions i.e. AND & OR until I reflected on what I have been teaching my students in Logic, Probability and Concord classes. Today I want to use my knowledge of Logic to prove that it is mandatory for a presidential candidate to win one-quarter of votes in FCT before he/she could be declared winner. So as to make my explanation short, simple and straightforward, I would be using Probability and Concord for further explanation at a later time.

Firstly, what does the constitution says:
There are two (2) conditions for determining a winner of a presidential election:

1. A presidential candidate must secure the highest number of votes cast at the election

2. He/she must secure not less than 25% of votes cast in at least two-thirds of all the States of the federation and FCT.

The main cause of argument is at the bolded (and).

In Logical Reasoning, AND & OR are not synonymous. These two words have distinct meaning. While AND is a CONJUNCTION, OR is a DISJUNCTION.

In set notation the intersection of two substatements represent the conjunction of every statement. A conjunction is true only if both of the substatements are true.

True + True = True
True + False = False
False +True = False
False + False = False

Also, in set notation the union of two substatements represent the disnjunction of every substatement. A disnjunction is true if either of its substatements is true or if they are both true (it is only false if they are both false.

True + True = True
True + False = True
False + True = True
False + False = False

My thought

The second electoral criteria above consists of two substatements separated by "and." For the whole statement to be true (fulfilled), the two substatements must be fulfilled.

I think those who drafted the constitution intended to use OR but mistakenly use AND out of ignorance. Their motive was to use OR instead of AND after all the people living in Abuja are not more special than the people living in other parts of the country. So the only condition by which Tinubu can win this argument in court is if the supreme court judges decide to help him out by looking at "technicalities'' instead of what Nigeria Constitution actually says.

In conclusion, to be declared Presidential winner, a candidate must secure at least 1/4th (25%) of votes cast in 2/3rd of the entire 36 States of Nigeria (that is in 24 states). Also, the candidate must also secure not less than 25% of the votes cast at the FCT.
Oga! FCT is not a state that's why the "and" is use. You cannot group two different things together. When you want to state a total of two different items you use and. For example number of students in a class is 14 boys and 2 girls. That is why the and is used. Aggregation of the states and FCT.
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by ItooWorWor(m): 4:56pm On May 09, 2023
oyatz:

The constitution stipulated the first but Obidents are saying it means the second statement.

25% in 36 states of the federation and FCT.

Section 299 says FCT shall be regarded as a state. 36 state plus FCT is same as 37 states, but Abuja been the federal capital must be stated separately for better understanding.

Ps: Abuja don't have it own capital or a governor, so can't be called a state but must be treated as one according to the Constitution.

Why can't Obidumb followers get this?
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Newton2024: 4:57pm On May 09, 2023
oyatz:

oyatz posted on Facebook and Nairaland
oyatz posted on Facebook and on Nairaland

oyatz slept in hotel and hostel

oyatz slept in hotel and in hostel

The two statements have the same meaning irrespective of the duplication or redistribution of preposition.
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by ItooWorWor(m): 4:58pm On May 09, 2023
Parachoko:
Which part of the constitution states this?

The part in Labourinvain constitution grin

This LP mob no get sense na.
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by tellsblinks(m): 4:58pm On May 09, 2023
Lalasticlala
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Parachoko: 5:06pm On May 09, 2023
ItooWorWor:

The part in Labourinvain constitution grin

This LP mob no get sense na.
There's a reason they are called Zombiedients grin

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by ItooWorWor(m): 5:10pm On May 09, 2023
Parachoko:
There's a reason they are called [b]Zombiedients]/b] grin

I concur 😁
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by daygee12: 6:10pm On May 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

The bolded is the real deal

There will be no technicalities, the mandate will be returned.

INEC would also be reprimanded because they erred in making a declaration

Mandate that is busy sleeping in court?

1 Like

Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by AntiTerrorist: 9:19pm On May 09, 2023
Parachoko:
So what did the constitution say should happen when a candidate with the highest number of votes and also have more than 25% in 30 State do not have up to 25% in Abuja?
Such a candidate is not qualified to be declared winner. In this case, there will be rerun between him and the candidate who has 25% in FCT.
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by Parachoko: 9:19pm On May 09, 2023
AntiTerrorist:
Such a candidate is not qualified to be declared winner. In this case, there will be rerun between him and the candidate who has 25% in FCT.
Kindly state where the Constitution says such a thing
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by oluwasunkanmi97(m): 9:26pm On May 09, 2023
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by demmie1: 9:30pm On May 09, 2023
All these to prove your stupidity, wow
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by oyatz(m): 10:43pm On May 09, 2023
Newton2024:

oyatz posted on Facebook and Nairaland
oyatz posted on Facebook and on Nairaland

oyatz slept in hotel and hostel

oyatz slept in hotel and in hostel

The two statements have the same meaning irrespective of the duplication or redistribution of preposition.

You are introducing another question (with different analogy) in stead of answering the question.
Re: Presidency: Is 25% In FCT Compulsory? My Perspective As A Mathematician by garfield1: 11:26pm On May 09, 2023
socialmediaman:
So I have reviewed the 25% requirement. I was previously of the opinion that the 25% in Abuja was required, but on another critical look, if the writers of the constitution intended Abuja to be a requirement, wouldn’t they have added it as a third requirement? That is:

1. Highest number of votes
2. 25% requirement in 2/3 of states
3. 25% in FCT.

I think it all boils down to the arguments brought forward by lawyers from both parties. The most reasonable argument wins. Hopefully PO lawyers can solidify their arguments with constitutional and historic references

I think the strongest argument in this case will be from the BVAS. If INEC refused to allow PO to inspect the BVAS machines despite the court’s order, then the court has no choice but to accept PO’s claim that he won the election based on his own documentation and calculations.

Concerning fct,for the first time,you are correct.if you reason objectively like this,you will go far.I read atiku's petition today and discovered that atiku lawyers segmented those two requirements into three instead of two as the constitution demanded.
1) highest votes cast
2 two third spread

But atiku added fct 25% as the third requirement which means the intendment of the framers is two not three preconditions.

Concerning bvas,there is no assumption or presumption in court.it is all about cold facts.obi never inspected bvas and couldn't get any evidence.whether it is inec fault or not is irrelevant. He failed on that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bandits Kill Four Farmers, Kidnap Eight Others In Katsina / Instead Of Peter Obi In 2027 Let The Power Return To The North / Nigerian, Miss Mma Okafor, 19, At Northern Illinois University, Wins Internship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.