Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,875 members, 7,933,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 11:15 PM

3 Reasons Why Afrobeats Will Become The Most Popular Music Genre In The World - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 3 Reasons Why Afrobeats Will Become The Most Popular Music Genre In The World (327 Views)

2020 NET Award: Davido Emerges As The Most Popular Music Artist(Photos) / Popular Music Artiste Phyno Buys A Royce Rolls Phantom / Popular Music Star Burna Boy Will Face 21 Years In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

3 Reasons Why Afrobeats Will Become The Most Popular Music Genre In The World by amechispeaks(m): 1:48pm On May 10, 2023
3 Reasons Why Afrobeats Will Become The Most Popular Music Genre In The World: By Amechi Okoli

From Kizz Daniel’s Bugha being the most Shazamed song of 2022, to Tiwa Savage performing at King Charles' coronation concert…

Here are 3 reasons why Afrobeats will become the most popular music genre in the world.

1. People will always hop on trends (especially if everyone else is already on it)

Remember when hip hop music first hit the streets of America?

It was new, it was fresh, and just as enigmatic as Afrobeats is today.

However, those who were used to other genres of music didn’t quite understand it.

But since every other kid on the block was breakdancing to hip hop beats, then why not?

After all, no one wants to be the “dinosaur” who isn’t part of a new and exciting trend.

And just like that, Run-D.M.C.'s “Rock Box” in 1984 became the first rap video on MTV.

Fast forward to 2023, and the rest is history!

I’m sure you can see the similar pattern Afrobeats is following!

2. Those who matter are pushing it

Do you remember what it meant back in the day for the likes of Kenny Ogungbe and D1 to play the records of upcoming Nigerian musicians?

These men were among the media personalities who MATTERED in Nigerian music at the time.

And if they were playing your records, then you were surely on your way up.

Same applies to Afrobeats and its explosion on foreign soil.

Those who matter are playing it, talking about it, and pushing it.

Even Swizz Beatz has seen how big Afrobeats has become, to the point where he has taken credit for introducing Burna Boy and Wizkid to the American audience!

Although this wouldn’t be the first time I’m seeing Swizz Beatz push Nigerian content.

He shared one of my articles in 2021 and encouraged people to buy my book.

But Swizz aside, other top American media personalities like DJ Envy, Charlamagne Tha God, Fat Joe, and Angie Martinez are hyping Afrobeats too.

Let’s not forget that for the first time, we had an Afrobeats-themed half-time show at the 2023 NBA All-Star game.

Or shall we pretend that we didn’t hear an entire stadium sing along to Rema’s “Calm Down” at the 2022 FIFA World Cup?

Speaking of the FIFA World Cup, a certain Afrobeats singer by the name of Davido performed at the final.

And yes, Burna Boy will be performing at the 2023 UEFA Champions League final too.

To add to that Afrobeats singers are being endorsed by renowned foreign brands such as Pepsi, Puma, and Martell.

So you see, it isn’t just foreign media personalities that are pushing Afrobeats, the biggest sports entities and brands in the world are doing the same!

3. The music is actually good

Do you think Ed Sheeran would jump on Fireboy’s “Peru” if the jam wasn’t on point?

Do you think Chris Brown would do “Blow My Mind” with Davido if the song was wack?

I seriously doubt it.

We can’t deny that the quality of Afrobeats has improved greatly from what we had in the 90s and early 2000s.

The audio quality is better, the videos are more attractive, and the Nigerian music industry as a whole has been better packaged to meet international standards.

Now, with foreign artistes collaborating with Afrobeats singers every other day, the genre will just keep getting popular around the world.

And as long as the music remains dope, Afrobeats will continue to spread like wild fire.

Time is all it will take. SO DO NOT BET AGAINST IT!

This article was written by Amechi Okoli

Follow on Instagram @amechi_okoli

Peace!

Re: 3 Reasons Why Afrobeats Will Become The Most Popular Music Genre In The World by amechispeaks(m): 4:09pm On May 11, 2023
Music business

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Afrobeats Singer Seun Kuti Surrenders To Police In Lagos / Opinion: The Attention Given To Hilda's Record Challenge Is Shameful - Exstreve / How My Children Sacrificed For My Career– Patience Ozokwo (AMVCA Award)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.