Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,986 members, 7,883,415 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 10:23 AM

Debunking The Myth: Education Is Not A Scam - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Debunking The Myth: Education Is Not A Scam (495 Views)

How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? / Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria / Is My Job A Scam!!!!? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Debunking The Myth: Education Is Not A Scam by Nobody: 9:13am On May 14, 2023
The phrase: ‘School na scam ‘ has now become an endearing slogan among the youths of our dear country Nigeria. Being a lover of education and because I have seen first-hand what education can do in the life of one who is truly educated and even by far in contributing towards the growth of a country immensely in all areas, I strongly maintain my stance and remain unshakable that schooling, education is not a scam.

I am often reprehensive when I see this recurring statement which has now become a Nigerian street anthem among the youth and younger generation.
I completely understand the frustration and disappointment felt by many young Nigerians towards the education system, as it is a sentiment I have encountered and often have to deal with in my work as a career coach in Nigeria. To say the least, it saddens me and I empathize with those who feel disillusioned by the system.

I know our governments have ‘failed’ us as we have perpetually looked upon them to rewrite our long-standing agonies, especially in the area of the non-availability of jobs after spending daunting years in school.

Yet, I urge our youths to understand the value of education and the importance of investing in it. It is not uncommon to hear individuals around you make claims that school and education are scams and if you don’t guard your heart, sooner or later, you’ll find yourself believing these claims and automatically shut your mind against the possibilities and the rich potential in being educated.

However, I do not condemn these ‘sloganists’, it is a matter of perspective; those who hold such beliefs only do so because they fail to appreciate the significance of education.

It is crucial to understand that education is not limited to obtaining a degree or a diploma from a tertiary institution. It encompasses the continuous learning and acquisition of knowledge, skills, and attitudes through formal and informal means. Self-education is also vital, and individuals should strive to learn something new every day.

Investing in education is one of the best decisions a person can make in life. Education equips individuals with the necessary tools to succeed and helps them stand out in a highly competitive world. It also provides individuals with the skills and knowledge to take advantage of various opportunities and achieve their goals.

One may argue that education does not necessarily guarantee success, but it certainly increases an individual's chances of achieving it. Education provides individuals with the opportunity to explore their full potential and discover their passions, which ultimately leads to success.

Moreover, education goes beyond just personal success. It also contributes to society as a whole. Education provides individuals with the tools to make a positive change in the world and to create a better future for all.

Let me share a real-life scenario that exemplifies the importance of education. A friend of mine worked for a company for several years but received no promotions or salary increases. After seeking my advice, I recommended that he goes back to school to acquire new skills. He took my advice, studied for a year, and returned to the same company with new skills and knowledge. The company recognized his efforts and promoted him while also providing a salary increase. This is the power of education.

Education is essential for many reasons, and it is crucial to understand its importance to our lives and society. Education can provide individuals with opportunities that would have otherwise been inaccessible. For example, education can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries, which can lead to a higher standard of living. Education can also provide individuals with the skills to start and run their businesses successfully.

Furthermore, education can help individuals develop critical thinking skills, which are essential in all aspects of life. Individuals who have received an education can analyze information, evaluate options, and make informed decisions. These skills are not only beneficial in the workplace but also in personal life, where individuals need to make informed decisions about their health, finances, and relationships.

Education can also provide individuals with the skills to communicate effectively, both in written and verbal form. Effective communication skills are vital in all aspects of life, and individuals who have acquired these skills through education can communicate their ideas and opinions effectively. This skill is particularly important in the workplace, where individuals need to communicate with colleagues, customers, and management.
In addition, education can broaden an individual's horizons and worldview. Through education, individuals can learn about different cultures, languages, and beliefs, which can help them, understand and appreciate diversity. This can lead to being more open-minded and tolerating others.

Education is the foundation upon which individuals can build their careers, dreams, and lives. It is a key that unlocks various opportunities and opens doors that would have otherwise remained shut. The acquisition of knowledge and skills through education is essential, and it has a significant impact on one's personal and professional growth
Refusing to get an education because you feel school is a scam or you felt you can go on to achieve success without necessarily going to school, would, in the nearest future become your biggest regret and you would wish you could turn back the hands of time and make a different decision.

Finally, education can contribute to the development of a country. Educated individuals can create and implement innovative ideas that can help solve societal problems. For example, educated individuals can develop solutions to environmental problems, develop new technologies, or improve healthcare systems. This can lead to economic growth, job creation, and an improved standard of living for all.

One common excuse these sloganist give is that, so many great people who achieved success didn’t go to school. And they quickly point out people like Mark Zuckerberg forgetting that the story that they didn’t go to school is not entirely true. Most of these people were in the educational system, and when they saw that they were already working on projects which were birthed from the knowledge they got in school, and to time constraints and desire to focus fully on the projects had to drop out.
The problem was not school. So do not let people tell you otherwise.
In conclusion, my dear Nigerian youths, education is not a scam. It is an essential tool that provides individuals with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in life. We should take advantage of the educational opportunities around us, both formal and informal, and strive to learn something new every day. Investing in education is the best investment one can make for their future. Remember, education is not an expense; it is an investment. Let us invest in our future today.

Are you looking to inspire and motivate the youth and the next generation? Do you know high school or university students who are feeling uncertain about their career path or are struggling with the thought of whether schooling is the right path to follow?

Let's work out something. Find me on LinkedIn
Omidhe Blessing
https://www.linkedin.com/in/blessing-omidhe-b97ba2268

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Just Give It A Trial And Smile Home At The End / Ecommerce Copywriter Vacancy / Vics Lawrence Interview-plz Did Any1 Write The Interview On 11/7/2013.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.