Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,350 members, 7,937,062 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:08 PM

My Experience With Thermostat Removal - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With Thermostat Removal (33524 Views)

Thermostat / Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by Oyewolee(m): 1:26pm On Dec 21, 2016
mili3kid:

ofcourse u can always restore the thermostat back.
bt make sure the fan is checked and returned to factory default. most times when they remove the thermostat they also make the fans work automatically weneva d engine is on. this shldnt be so. the fans should only run when the engine is hot and after a while stop and run again... like that.
also pls note if ur car is OBDII compliant kindly scan it. high fuel consumption xould be caused alot of issues. not just the removal of thermostat. in my case i am experiencing it because the catalytic converter was removed.a nd when I scanned it d results pointed to catalytic converter.
so try and get a competent mech tho helo check ur car and find the underlying issue causing the excessive fuel consumption

Thank you sir. I'll do as recommended and go for the scan as well.
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by dandollar1: 6:39pm On Mar 28, 2018
Please, someone should explain to me how to get the radiator fan of my peugeot 206 back to factory settings.

I discovered that the fan was directly connected to power, so that once I put on the engine (ON ii position) the fan starts running and stays on permanently.

I took it to two electricians over the weekend and was told I should leave it that way, that I can't correct it. I'm thinking they didn't know how to go about it. The engine temperature hardly gets to 70degree, even after 20 mins of city driving.

Will be glad to get a step by step procedure, if possible, so I could guide someone to help me. Thank you all.
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:53am On Mar 29, 2018
miccodb:

ikenna u are correct all the way but i dont agree with you in totality when u say the engine will always run cold. there is never a time when the engine runs cold due to otto cycle in the chambers as u know the qtty of heat that accompanies combustion so i prefer u say the engine would run at a little lower temperature so if this happens then the cylinders are not flooded persay with gas and air because the temperature drop is not so remarkable that will cause the ecu to spray excess fuel like ur painting. if that car consumes notieabbly more fuel than normal then i want to belive there is more to it than just removal of thermostat. if a car runs with thermostat at about 90 degrees celcuis then i can confidently tell u that without thermostat it would still run at about 70 degrees celcuis which is not as cold as u are painting.so i cant agree with u totally on the running cold without thermostat.t-stat was originally meant to combat lower temp running in countries with really low temps and cold regions where liquid is required to remain within the egine walls until it is getting overheated then expelle for fresh one to come in from the radiator which now cools the now hot liquid coolant. bearing this in mind then we can easily see the motive isnt too effective in hot regions like nigeria where average temps soar to around 40 degress in the north. so if u analyse this technically i can guarantee u that as soon as u crank your engine in such temperatures it would take less than a minute for liquids to get heated beyond operating temperatures and ready to be exchanged with that in the radiator. so as u run your engine hotter in such area der comes a coincidence peroid when the thermostat is virtually open all the while and all fans blowing because theres really no weather support for the cooling and liquids in both radiator and around engine walls are operating at optimum temps so the t-stat just remains open and since the width of opening of the t-stat isnt as wide as the whole passge then there is lack of proper scavenging and supply of liquids which may ultyimately lead to overheating. so the most important thing is not just understanding the technology but also understanding what the technology was supposed to combat so u can work around when it fails to suit you.
ultimately ikenna there are times when u may need to tropicalize a car buy removing a thermostat without effect to overall performance. poster should check well abg no be thermostat dey make him car chop fuel. i love this forum. so much knowledge to gain. keep it up all.

You are all saying the same, its all that you all used different words meaning the samething, in the motor world when a car temp is below 85 degrees celcius its said to be running COLD
Thats the most used word to discribe a car running below operating temperature is usuall 85 & 90.
Then as for tropicalise there is nothing like that, thats for bush mechanic who do not know how the cooling system works let me give you different scanarios in Alaska no matter how cold it get the engine coolant in engine will still reach 90 degrees when being driven. Then same in nigeria engine temp will still reach 90 degrees no matter how hot is nigeria. That wont affect the engine aslong the radiator, fan, temp sensor & thermo are working.

Warm/hot climate only has an advantage of starting a car in low temp of the morning as 1 battery wont need much voltage for the starter becoz there is no much resistance very cold temperatures make mental very tight.2 due to warm/hot temps oil quickly goes to the right place faster but these applies to both sub standards & full original oil. Standard/genuine oil can cope with very low temps hence numbers like 5w30. Wrong type of affects how a car starts in cold temp. Oil tends to be more thick when exposed to low temps oil therefore its more longer to get to the right places meaning there is more wear and tear to parts(in very cold climate people have installed heaters on the car for the engine oil) thats another topics on its own but useless for africa climate

Taking off the thermo and running the fan you are making the car run cold meaning the ECU keeps on putting more fuel to the ratio becoz it wants the car to reach operating temperature. So your engine will get worn out quick, even the oil wont be operating at its maximum protecting temp. Operating temperature and fuel effiecent are related and operating temperature and how your engine might last or loose some hp are related

Whether Sebria or Saudi arabia, the temperature of a fully intact operating engine will be 90 regardless off the outside temperature and the thermo will open and fan kick in to cool down the engine temps to remain within 90 whether its cold or hot outside

You said taking off the thermo wont affect the overall perfomance, the truth it does but unfortuantely for african even a push start is taken a fully functioning car, my point is what is regarded as fully working car or non affected perfomance in europe and america vrs african arw things that are world apart
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by captainking(m): 11:06am On Jun 11, 2018
blestman:
@ ikeyman, I have used a car with a t-stat stucked open and fans running directly. It never gets to 70degree operation temp and was consuming fuel. The problem became worse wen I replaced d water with a coolant. It hardly got to 60 degree and far below on a rainy day, check light came up and d code P0128 came up. After some research I disconnected d direct wiring of d fans and surprisingly d fans never turns on no matter d distance i cover and d car never overheats and the temp was now getting to 75 degree, but drops significantly on rainy days
Finally I took a look at d t-stat and it was inplace but tampered wit so that it was always opened. I replace thermostat and now d car gets to operation temp and fans only comes up at around 90 degree wit improved fuel consumption and lesser noise from d fan. And code p0128 is gone. So do ur car a favor, replace d thermostat

woa,,,i really need to do this to my car,...cos i observed my car consumes fuel a bit more and the fan runs directly,,,i need to get a mecho to do this for me ,,,
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 3:09pm On Sep 25, 2020
I use 1999 Toyota Camry in Nigeria and these are reasons u should use a themostat

(1) recommended oil is 5w30, so without themostat the engine oil does not reach operating temperature which is 100 degree to function well

2) the coolant temperature sensor will indicate low temperature which means the ECU or ( car computer ) will tell injectors to operate in ( open loop or more fuel ), ECU won't allow the o2 sensor (located in the exust pipe) to tell air/fuel sensor to go adjust the air/fuel ratio so that the injectors spray less fuel called ( close loop) for better fuel consumption, because it feels the temperature is low for optimal operation which is 100 degree

3) the (open loop) operation will flood the pistin celinder with excess fuel, which will contaminate the engine oil more , create more carbon deposit and effect the cartalis converters on the long run

my car fuel consumption is 25 miles per gallon with themostat and 14 miles per gallon without themostat

it only cost 1k or 2k and can last for more than 5 year's all u have to do is keep your eyes on the dashboard for emergency overheating in case the themostat get bad when driving and check out the coolant level always

(note)

but also remember using themostat with a wrong engine oil type like 20w50 in a1999 Toyota Camry that needs 5w30 will also consume more fuel because of more dragging power coursed by the thickness of the oil w50 at 100 degree and will also effect the internal engine components that needs oil frequently to worn-out more because of lack of oil supply that should be w30 at 100 degree

cheers

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2020
mili3kid:

ofcourse u can always restore the thermostat back.
bt make sure the fan is checked and returned to factory default. most times when they remove the thermostat they also make the fans work automatically weneva d engine is on. this shldnt be so. the fans should only run when the engine is hot and after a while stop and run again... like that.
also pls note if ur car is OBDII compliant kindly scan it. high fuel consumption xould be caused alot of issues. not just the removal of thermostat. in my case i am experiencing it because the catalytic converter was removed.a nd when I scanned it d results pointed to catalytic converter.
so try and get a competent mech tho helo check ur car and find the underlying issue causing the excessive fuel consumption
u are wrong to say catalyst converter removed can course fuel consumption issues in your case, because it doesn't have anything to do with fuel system or efficiency, it only clean the already burning polluted gas to the environment as it job for better emission control in Europe not in Nigeria where there's no or less emission control authority so I advised u check your o2 sensor, air filter, fuel filters, injectors etc
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 5:36pm On Sep 25, 2020
kc007:
Can a thermostat work normally, that is opening @ required temperature if coolant temperature sensor is malfuntioning?
yes,, the themostat don't have any wire attached to it, it's just a regulator and will function well, the coolant temperature sensor only sends report to the ECU to tell the o2 sensor to adjust the air/fuel ratio from the air/fuel sensor for better fuel economy and consumption
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 6:09pm On Sep 25, 2020
miccodb:

ikenna u are correct all the way but i dont agree with you in totality when u say the engine will always run cold. there is never a time when the engine runs cold due to otto cycle in the chambers as u know the qtty of heat that accompanies combustion so i prefer u say the engine would run at a little lower temperature so if this happens then the cylinders are not flooded persay with gas and air because the temperature drop is not so remarkable that will cause the ecu to spray excess fuel like ur painting. if that car consumes notieabbly more fuel than normal then i want to belive there is more to it than just removal of thermostat. if a car runs with thermostat at about 90 degrees celcuis then i can confidently tell u that without thermostat it would still run at about 70 degrees celcuis which is not as cold as u are painting.so i cant agree with u totally on the running cold without thermostat.t-stat was originally meant to combat lower temp running in countries with really low temps and cold regions where liquid is required to remain within the egine walls until it is getting overheated then expelle for fresh one to come in from the radiator which now cools the now hot liquid coolant. bearing this in mind then we can easily see the motive isnt too effective in hot regions like nigeria where average temps soar to around 40 degress in the north. so if u analyse this technically i can guarantee u that as soon as u crank your engine in such temperatures it would take less than a minute for liquids to get heated beyond operating temperatures and ready to be exchanged with that in the radiator. so as u run your engine hotter in such area der comes a coincidence peroid when the thermostat is virtually open all the while and all fans blowing because theres really no weather support for the cooling and liquids in both radiator and around engine walls are operating at optimum temps so the t-stat just remains open and since the width of opening of the t-stat isnt as wide as the whole passge then there is lack of proper scavenging and supply of liquids which may ultyimately lead to overheating. so the most important thing is not just understanding the technology but also understanding what the technology was supposed to combat so u can work around when it fails to suit you.
ultimately ikenna there are times when u may need to tropicalize a car buy removing a thermostat without effect to overall performance. poster should check well abg no be thermostat dey make him car chop fuel. i love this forum. so much knowledge to gain. keep it up all.
to correct u , o2 sensor don't dont signal ECU to tell the air/fuel sensor to adjust the air/fuel ratio so that the injectors start spraying less fuel called (close loop) , except the coolant temperature sensor signal the ECU that the temperature is 100 degree +, so if temperature is below 100 degree the injectors keep spraying more fuel called ( open loop) and will keep flooding the celinder and course carbon buildups, contaminate the engine oi,l and affect the catalyst converter

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 6:44pm On Sep 25, 2020
Ikenna351:
@Ikay,

Really, weather dosent affect vehicle fuel consumption, as long as the motor thermostat & cooling fan are ok. No matter how cold the weather is, the coolant will never freeze (mixture of antifreeze & water: 50/50). Coolant warms or boils faster than ordinary water. So as soon as you start a car, the coolant will within few mins warm up to engine opreating temperature unlike water. The t-stat ensures that engine remains at operating temperature, whether in cold or hot weather. Without t-stat, coolant will be flowing continously from radiator to engine, & from engine back to radiator & wont allow the coolant to warm to operating temp before flowing back to radiator.

Mind you, without t-stat, if the car stays long (hours) in traffic/hold up, the coolant will become very hot, boiling and wont be able to cool again, since the coolant dosent stay long in radiator for the fan to cool it before flowing back to the engine. As its entering the engine, the explosion going on in the cylinders will increase the hotness of the coolant. No room for cooling. Before you know it "BANG". Your Cylinder head is gone. If you are lucky, it will blow up only the radiator hose for the build up hot steam to escape. If you are very unfortunate, your head gasket will be gone. In most cases, when the head gasket burns, it might flow in water in the cylinders & the water/coolant will wash down/pass the cylinders & enters crankcase/sump. BANG! The whole engine is gone!

Ikenna.
u have ideas about cars but you are very wrong to say coolant boil faster than water , water boiling point is 100 degree,. while condensed or destiled water which will be mixed 50/50 with coolant boiling point is 180 to 200 degree and take longer to boil that we why it is recommended in radiators usage and note that Nigeria don't need antifreeze which will not freez in snow -0 degree, because our temperature is 20 degree+ , what we need is coolant with anti-rust detergents, it's the themostat that helps the coolant in the engine block to warm up faster ok?

cheers
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 7:24pm On Sep 25, 2020
Ikenna351:
Ikayman,

Carburetor sprays fuel according to the position of the Throttle pedal. But Injectors spray fuel according to signals it receives from sensors. Once its not getting a signal from any of the sensors or getting a wrong signal, the normal spray of fuel by injectors will be disrupted.

Ikenna.
true
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 7:35pm On Sep 25, 2020
ikeyman00:
@@@@

hmm this thermosstat factor is something (neverless am not an auto expert) that i quite dnt get from all angles

But then commonsense shouldn't be far fetched.

If we have to go by the fundamentals of locomotion then we will consider there is piston,cam shaft, open-closed valve.

Then at point A air goes into some cylinder in the engine with the valve A open while valve B is closed which allows the mixture of air and fuel then the explosion that occurs drive the piston to half cycle while the remaining cycles completes when there is a repeation of the same reaction, then we get a complete rotation abi

cuz the cycle has been synchronised; hence the cylinders fires at the right time

Consequently the engine block is a heat conductor as you know and will get hotter to expand (which will kill the engine) at some point if it isn't cooled to lower the temp, then this is where the argument comes in.

Now i dnt see how the temp of an engine body affect the explosion or combustion that goes in the cylinder?? if that's the case u can argue bomb might not produce enough or maximam explosion in winters or cold weather

the same goes with an electric iron; the thermostat there is more of saving energy and help in regulating the iron temp so it doesnt get too hot through the circuit breaker i guess.

then it does seem to me that thermstart on the engine is more of saving electric energy for the car to utilize elsewhere

i have been driving my car without thermostart and without having to deal with high fuel consumption and I'm sure there are lots of other out there

therefore i think taking the thermostart off might be the best way to solve over heating if the need arise!!

Shear your car miles per gallon
Re: My Experience With Thermostat Removal by timenamoney: 7:58pm On Sep 25, 2020
there are two major reasons why themostat is needed in a car

1) to allow engine oil to reach it optimal operating temperature (100. degree) to flow well for protection

2) to allow the car enter ( close loop), when coolant temperature sensor signal ECU that the engine is 100 degree + then ECU tell the air/fuel sensor to minimize the air/fuel ratio sent to injectors with corporation of the o2 sensor in the exust

cheers

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres / A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Mercedes Celebrate G-Class 40th Anniversary With 3 “Stronger Than Time” Editions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.