Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,198 members, 7,873,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:31 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (576) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (554446 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (608) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ejid1: 3:48pm On May 31
missjekyll:

You do not agree there's a benefit to studying the past?That course sounds very exciting.

That’s not my point.When you look at the modules of these courses you realize that they are watered down version of another course but made to look ‘exciting’.At the end of the day there’s very little use to these degrees or should i say there are limitations with what you can do with them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Oggg: 8:04pm On May 31
kumbhuru:

Answer my question bish
Learn to read the room!!!!! Over hundreds of comments on this page day in day out and only you keeps doing this.
Why are you so disrespectful?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 9:37pm On May 31
America001:

Duly noted. Does it mean I'll have to wait until my baby turns 3 before she starts school?

You don't have to wait if you have the wherewithal to have her in a childminder or nursery. Otherwise, you'd be waiting. Either ways, you'd pay some money until she turns four.

Having a child here is full time work and massive budget until they of course turn three and over.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 9:38pm On May 31
idee91:
Greetings everyone,

What do you advise, I wanted to renew my rent contract, but Landlord is suggesting i don’t need to extend, as the contract automatically goes into a rolling contract after 12 months. Do you think I should insist on getting a new contract ?

It usually rolls over.

No need for all the initial bruhaha with renting.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 9:41pm On May 31
missjekyll:

Goodluck to you ,my friend. Keep us posted.

Money paid back in full!

The lesson here is to lend wisely and not emotionally.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 9:44pm On May 31
kumbhuru:

Answer my question bish

What does that mean?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 9:57pm On May 31
Nigerian students being in the news for the wrong reasons lately

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cljjwg5dw34o.amp

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 10:55pm On May 31
Oggg:

Learn to read the room!!!!! Over hundreds of comments on this page day in day out and only you keeps doing this.
Why are you so disrespectful?
I don't read other messages, I reply to my mentions with same energy it was given
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 11:11pm On May 31
Zakikaki:

Unfortunately yes. Unless you decide to go private which was what I did back when my kid was 2. Cost me half my paycheck but half pay was better than no pay. I started living large once the kid hit 3 ...lol

grin honestly childcare cost is choking.

Even the people with 30 free hours weekly, tax free account, child care voucher are complaining.

We that pay 100% out of pocket with no assistance, na die we dey
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:58pm On May 31
Resurgent2016:

Even the people with 30 free hours weekly, tax free account, child care voucher are complaining.

Nobody would teach you before you subconsciously engage proper family planning or perfect your withdrawal game .........🤣😜

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 12:15am On Jun 01
roak:
Hi, how did you solve this. I tried retrieving my share code as well. Used my passport and DOB as identity and its telling me no such info in their records

You might be visiting a wrong link, it has happened to me before , just google “ right to work share code” and choose the first link that appears
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 1:26am On Jun 01
Resurgent2016:

My brother, madam and I did calculation on how much childcare cost us this evening. Amount we paid in the last year for but half a house along lekki expressway. We still dey try look or options, e remain for me to suggest make we repatriate pikin go naija for one year but I no want marital problem or person to collapse from heart attack over here. I have friends whose children will be starting school this August, then they go holiday for two weeks, something wet never happen before, then soon try well deserved.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:48am On Jun 01
Ejid1:

Zahra I was so shocked when i saw UCL had BA in ‘Viking and Norse studies’.I’m not one to judge people’s choices but it’s a ridiculous degree to have and you’ll still have students take student loans to study these kind of courses.

You're completely right, and to each their own but degrees like this are called "Mickey mouse" courses for a reason lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:51am On Jun 01
America001:

Duly noted. Does it mean I'll have to wait until my baby turns 3 before she starts school?

No you can enrol your baby into nursery at any age, but at 3 years old you will qualify for 15 hours free childcare which is universal.

She will start school in the September after she turns 4.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:00am On Jun 01
Resurgent2016:
Nigerian students being in the news for the wrong reasons lately

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cljjwg5dw34o.amp

One of the students in the article said he had the full funds for his course in his savings but the value was depleted by the currency crisis.

I'm curious, if this was the case and knowing how volatile the naira has been, wouldn't they have transferred the funds into pounds at the earliest opportunity to protect its value? Or is that not possible?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by roak: 4:30am On Jun 01
I'm not visiting the wrong link. I'm visiting the same link. Still not working....Was it your BRP details you used or your passport details?

Schoolhike:

You might be visiting a wrong link, it has happened to me before , just google “ right to work share code” and choose the first link that appears
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:39am On Jun 01
Ejid1:

Zahra I was so shocked when i saw UCL had BA in ‘Viking and Norse studies’.I’m not one to judge people’s choices but it’s a ridiculous degree to have and you’ll still have students take student loans to study these kind of courses.

Hmmm... This comment opens up another vista... You like a society where there'll be no wastage, a society where ALL would be productive. You abhor wastage, more like disliking "useless eaters" as one European leader once said. By calling a course ridiculous is just a tip on how I think you view society generally, there's freedom of choice, and I expect people who spent years studying that course to request/demand an apology you know? Well, before you think otherwise, I am also in support that some courses are frivolous. But then, that's how the thinking of Aryanism started.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NewT123: 5:59am On Jun 01
America001:
Hi Zahra29 et al

I need clarification please.

I have a child who's 1 year and half. I'm currently working full time. I tried enrolling her for the free 15 hours childcare for children between 9 months and 2 years but was told I wasn't eligible because I'm not entitled to public funds.

Does it mean all African migrants don't automatically qualify for this scheme by the government?

You can still be eligible for childcare for 2 years old even if you have no recourse to public funds as the eligibility criteria has been. Changed to accommodate people on skilled worker visas. However, to qualify, your circumstances must be;

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 8:04am On Jun 01
Zahra29:

One of the students in the article said he had the full funds for his course in his savings but the value was depleted by the currency crisis.

I'm curious, if this was the case and knowing how volatile the naira has been, wouldn't they have transferred the funds into pounds at the earliest opportunity to protect its value? Or is that not possible?

It is not uncommon for some to exchange their £ for ₦. Essentially selling theirs £ to the highest bidder in other to get as much ₦ as possible, they then use the converted ₦ to pay their fees at a much discounted rate using the CBN form A when it was a thing so they can get more £ than the one they converted. As the Form A process is not exactly swift, quite a number of people would have still been in the pool during the exchange rate crisis which would have truly decimated their savings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UrFears: 8:36am On Jun 01
Good morning Seniors, please i need some advice

Currently, I only have one bank account, which is Revolut, it is also the account I use to receive my salary and make any expenses, I don't have their physical card yet, I only use the digital card.

(1). I want to open a new account majorly for savings, and maybe building my credit score. Which bank would you suggest I open an account with.

(2). Is it okay to continue using Revolut as my main/salary account, or after opening the new acc, I should use it as my main account.

(3). I'm looking to buy a new iPhone (or refurbished), where is the best place to get a good deal/price. Is back market good?

Thanks bosses
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 8:43am On Jun 01
directonpc:

Who is filling the role? UK firms that won't hire people on graduate visa?

I saw an entire thread on LinkedIn where graduate visa holders were begging that people take a chance on them. It will be nice to see some success stories about students that came here around 2022 and are now working at British firms not as cleaners.

Like I've said about tech nation, I don't know 1 Nigerian techie that came here on that visa and isn't feeling like their career slowed down. I can specifically name one tech influencer from Nigeria that's almost becoming a ghost of her self now since moving here.

Maybe in the past, when una japa, this place get plenty opportunities, hopefully there are better days ahead of UK and doing the most with talented immigrants.

I think you need to change or expand your circle of friends and associates. I know many many people who work in those scenarios you described above. Some of us even got the jobs while still on student visa and employers had to reservethe roles for us, some with sponsorship even. And I know people who got the Global Talent visa even from Nigeria. One thing I keep telling people is there are plenty of opportunities in this land. They don't come easy of course, but with tenacity and open mind, they are absolutely reachable.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 8:57am On Jun 01
UrFears:
Good morning Seniors, please i need some advice

Currently, I only have one bank account, which is Revolut, it is also the account I use to receive my salary and make any expenses, I don't have their physical card yet, I only use the digital card.

(1). I want to open a new account majorly for savings, and maybe building my credit score. Which bank would you suggest I open an account with.

(2). Is it okay to continue using Revolut as my main/salary account, or after opening the new acc, I should use it as my main account.

(3). I'm looking to buy a new iPhone (or refurbished), where is the best place to get a good deal/price.

Thanks bosses

If I were in your shoes, I'll open a new account with any of the high street banks( Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds, Barclays etc they are all different variants of the same thing, just pick one) and move my salary there and possibly open another account with a second neobank to complement the Revolut, chase is a good choice for your spendings as it gives a fairly decent cash back and has a linked savings account with an ok interest rate. Generally for savings, go with the one that offers the highest interest rate.

Check the MSE mobile finder tool with the link below for your phone purchase.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:37am On Jun 01
Zahra29:

You know the answer to this question Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:46am On Jun 01
Estroller:

It is not uncommon for some to exchange their £ for ₦. Essentially selling theirs £ to the highest bidder in other to get as much ₦ as possible, they then use the converted ₦ to pay their fees at a much discounted rate using the CBN form A when it was a thing so they can get more £ than the one they converted. As the Form A process is not exactly swift, quite a number of people would have still been in the pool during the exchange rate crisis which would have truly decimated their savings.
But CBN stopped Form A for international students since December of 2022. Those who experienced delays with their form A process had a valid reason but this is no longer a thing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:32am On Jun 01
Lexusgs430:

Nobody would teach you before you subconsciously engage proper family planning or perfect your withdrawal game .........🤣😜

This guy!
Does that game really work? There's no perfection there jare grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by domin8(f): 10:35am On Jun 01
Morning all,

Looking at moving from further north and buying a first property in either Manchester and Sheffield.

Can anyone suggest the good affordable neighborhoods in bith cities suitable for young families with good schools, amenities etc. ? Manchester is the preferred though.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UrFears: 10:39am On Jun 01
Estroller:

If I were in your shoes, I'll open a new account with any of the high street banks( Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds, Barclays etc they are all different variants of the same thing, just pick one) and move my salary there and possibly open another account with a second neobank to complement the Revolut, chase is a good choice for your spendings as it gives a fairly decent cash back and has a linked savings account with an ok interest rate. Generally for savings, go with the one that offers the highest interest rate.

Check the MSE mobile finder tool with the link below for your phone purchase.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/

Thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:02am On Jun 01
toughest007:

This guy!
Does that game really work? There's no perfection there jare grin

I don't know about you, but me no dey fit withdraw (but luckily for me, madam don cut rope)........🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 12:42pm On Jun 01
Lexusgs430:

I don't know about you, but me no dey fit withdraw (but luckily for me, madam don cut rope)........🤣😂

The cold too much to be able to fully withdraw within a split second of launch time grin

I don't think any man living has the ability to withdraw with a 100% certainty. As for me, na other more reliable family planning measures we adopt. After madam drop the second one, we are done!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:06pm On Jun 01
kwakudtraveller:

You know the answer to this question Lol

Lol! I was genuinely asking cos I wasn't sure if there were any roadblocks or limits to transferring all your funds in one go, or if the banks forced people to move their money in batches, which would explain why many would have been caught out by the currency fluctuations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:06pm On Jun 01
Estroller:

Thanks for explaining
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:07pm On Jun 01
toughest007:

The cold too much to be able to fully withdraw within a split second of launch time grin

I don't think any man living has the ability to withdraw with a 100% certainty. [/b]As for me, na other more reliable family planning measures we adopt. After madam drop the second one, we are done!

Erm, not true 😌 lol

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (573) (574) (575) (576) (577) (578) (579) ... (608) (Reply)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

Viewing this topic: Ortegay12, Soraco57(m), toughest007 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.