Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,120 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:54 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (606) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (574457 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) ... (630) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:39am On Jun 26
Lexusgs430:

When HMRC sends you a brown envelope demand, due to underpayments, hope you would be equally pleased........ 🀣😜

Lolz. I already trust the system bro,if they say so I won't even think it twice or review it. Nothing beats a working system!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Greathand01: 10:05am On Jun 26
Please anyone in leed. I need help with renting a 2 bedroom house in leeds
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:18am On Jun 26
Jamesclooney:

No transit visa needed for Qatar.
Just avoid the European airlines like KLM, Air France etc.
Ethiopia, Turkish and co are decent , no transit visa needed

I heard this might change soon. That European airlines might soon start permitting people with BRP to transit through European Cities. Fingers crossed. Not visit visa though

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 12:24pm On Jun 26
I informed my Manager from the start too (though informally during our 121) but I have been documenting it in a HR platform we use called Culture Amp after all of our weekly meetings but during last week meeting, another twist came in as he claims to have suffered depression and was on anti depressants for years and music is what makes him focus and he suffers mood swings which have left me clueless on how to handle his case. Mental health seems to be most excuse used in here. Wallahi, I don tire .
Lexusgs430:

My problem with your position, is not officially documenting your concerns (from DAY 1).....

Why did you deem it your responsibility to cover up, for an employee you are meant to micro - manage.......

If you don't document your concerns or raise concerns with HR/line manager...... They never happened.......

So when his probation review is due, you want to download all your concerns/observations, at one sitting.......

If i was in your shoes, from a few weeks of observing negative work ethics from the employee, I am washing my hands off........ πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 12:26pm On Jun 26
I never knew the word until when he used it with me and what i got online most especially Reddit was that micro managing is bad 😞. How do i document the abuse of business hours with evidence. Unless I take a video or picture of him and won’t that be trespassing?
justwise:

yes and there is nothing wrong with that, document his abuse of the business houres and pass it to your line-manager.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:28pm On Jun 26
AgentXxx:
I informed my Manager from the start too (though informally during our 121) but I have been documenting it in a HR platform we use called Culture Amp after all of our weekly meetings but during last week meeting, another twist came in as he claims to have suffered depression and was on anti depressants for years and music is what makes him focus and he suffers mood swings which have left me clueless on how to handle his case. Mental health seems to be most excuse used in here. Wallahi, I don tire .

Mental health is a grey area, over exploited by many (simple because it's abstract)......

Is he medically diagnosed or self diagnosed.......

And was this disability, mentioned during the interview/application process....... An employer needs to make reasonable adjustments, if disability was mentioned........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by danny34(m): 1:02pm On Jun 26
ehizario2012:

Is octopus better than e.on? I use prepaid meter

Go for octopus smart meter and pay monthly
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 1:47pm On Jun 26
It wasn’t mentioned during application/interview process, it was when issues started coming up that he now mentions it. he said it was previously diagnosed and fixed but keeps coming back.
Lexusgs430:

Mental health is a grey area, over exploited by many (simple because it's abstract)......

Is he medically diagnosed or self diagnosed.......

And was this disability, mentioned during the interview/application process....... An employer needs to make reasonable adjustments, if disability was mentioned........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:00pm On Jun 26
AgentXxx:
It wasn’t mentioned during application/interview process, it was when issues started coming up that he now mentions it. he said it was previously diagnosed and fixed but keeps coming back.

You can see where I am headed........ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Š

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 2:14pm On Jun 26
AgentXxx:

You need to make sure you stick very closely to your organization's HR policies. Ask HR for assistance and take their advice to the T.

The last thing you want to do is make it seem personal. It's not your company and it's not your time and it's not your personal business, at the end of the day. When you speak to HR or to him or to anyone else, don't make it about you having to pick up his work (although you can cite that), make it about the effect on your team/service and how that's affecting your customers/service users/other teams/the overall business.

Don't get into an argument with this person. Put everything on paper and send via email to him or your supervisors/HR etc.

If he's late with work, ask him why by email. If he has not closed a ticket, follow up via that same platform etc.

For emphasis, the most important thing to do is don't make this about you on a personal level. Do everything you can to avoid that or you'll find yourself defending against allegations of bullying and discrimination that everyone knows are nonsensical but will not say due to needing to seem politically correct, and you may end up being thrown under the bus by your organisation.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:48pm On Jun 26
Solumtoya:

I heard this might change soon. That European airlines might soon start permitting people with BRP to transit through European Cities. Fingers crossed. Not visit visa though

I read an update that from the end of June, BRP holders will no longer need a transit visa to go through a German airport. I heard the same is also true for the Netherlands

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:04pm On Jun 26
justwise:

lol..Our spin doctor, I know you will attempt to spin this around . My question to is this.. how did these low paid migrants get into the country? We are not talking about illegal migration here. So tell me how we ended up having so many people into the country with limited resources.

Erm do you remember when you were on the health visa thread many months ago, pleading advising people not to pay for sponsorship, citing its illegality etc and the amount of abuse you received? (I was afraid to step in and support you πŸ˜‚). That is one of the ways thousands of people got in - buying CoS off the many sham agencies without even having a care job. Agents/main applicants also arranged for sham partners and dependants to be added to the applications and several thousand got in this way also. Even Sky did a report on this, the practice was common in the south Asian countries.

Boris' govt said they only expected about 40k migrants to come in via the route, in the end it was at least 5 times that amount due to the route being abused and the initial naivete and complacency of the govt (e.g not performing background checks on agencies before granting them sponsorship licenses). That's how the numbers got to where they are now and the strict policies and checks recently introduced which have led to many agencies losing their sponsorship licenses.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 3:28pm On Jun 26
Zahra29:

Erm do you remember when you were on the health visa thread many months ago, pleading advising people not to pay for sponsorship, citing its illegality etc and the amount of abuse you received? (I was afraid to step in and support you πŸ˜‚). That is one of the ways thousands of people got in - buying CoS off the many sham agencies without even having a care job. Agents/main applicants also arranged for sham partners and dependants to be added to the applications and several thousand got in this way also. Even Sky did a report on this, the practice was common in the south Asian countries.

Boris' govt said they only expected about 40k migrants to come in via the route, in the end it was at least 5 times that amount due to the route being abused and the initial naivete and complacency of the govt (e.g not performing background checks on agencies before granting them sponsorship licenses). That's how the numbers got to where they are now and the strict policies and checks recently introduced which have led to many agencies losing their sponsorship licenses.

Each time I read you coming strongly for those who abuse the system, I keep wondering why you absolve the UK government who put no measures in place to detect this abuse on time. talking from security perspective, it is the job of a hacker to look for vulnerabilites in a business IT system however it's the responsbilitity of the business to put controls for detection and prevention. Business becomes liable if the hacker eventually breaks in and not the hacker. Always balance your argument, please.

Lol...didn't read paragraph 2 before commenting grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:39pm On Jun 26
babajeje123:

Each time I read you coming strongly for those who abuse the system, I keep wondering why you absolve the UK government who put no measures in place to detect this abuse on time. talking from security perspective, it is the job of a hacker to look for vulnerabilites in a business IT system however it's the responsbilitity of the business to put controls for detection and prevention. Business becomes liable if the hacker eventually breaks in and not the hacker. Always balance your argument, please.

In my comment I stated that the initial complacency and naivete of the government contributed to the scale of the abuse. I didn't absolve them of their failings.

However if a burglar breaks into a poorly secured property, the greater blame would nevertheless rest on him and not on the owner. The property owner would have some tough lessons to learn and implement but a judge would not absolve the burglar nor determine that the owner is as much to blame - even if the window is left wide open, don't steal.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:40pm On Jun 26
babajeje123:

Lol...didn't read paragraph 2 before commenting grin

Lol....oops and I had already replied you in the spirit of this heat wave. My bad grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 6:05pm On Jun 26
Zahra29:

Lol....oops and I had already replied you in the spirit of this heat wave. My bad grin

Breezeless heat, be like oven shocked
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:33pm On Jun 26
ehizario2012:

Breezeless heat, be like oven shocked

Lol, breeze from where, the Atlantic? πŸ˜‚

That's why I'm not a "fan" of the British summer lol (or hot weather in general)....I much prefer the in-between seasons - spring and autumn (minus the rain, but hey ho can't have everything)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:42pm On Jun 26
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:07pm On Jun 26
Zahra29:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/lambeth-council-chief-executive-bayo-dosunmu-police-arrest-charge-b1166919.html

Such a high profile position and fantastic salary, likely now down the drain

Another labour politician........ πŸ€£πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:21pm On Jun 26
Lexusgs430:

Another labour politician........ πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

Is this whataboutism? It's not a very productive method of debate even on a good day but it's even more not good now considering the scandal that's the tory party.

I don't think the Labour Party told this man to take cocaine now , did they?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:24pm On Jun 26
missjekyll:

Is this whataboutism? It's not a very productive method of debate even on a good day but it's even more not good now considering the scandal that's the tory party.

I don't think the Labour Party told this man to take cocaine now , did they?

Did the conservative party ask them to place a bet ........ It's political season, more scandals would be unveiled.....πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 7:53pm On Jun 26
Thank you so much for this detailed advice. I would stick to it.
Goodenoch:

You need to make sure you stick very closely to your organization's HR policies. Ask HR for assistance and take their advice to the T.

The last thing you want to do is make it seem personal. It's not your company and it's not your time and it's not your personal business, at the end of the day. When you speak to HR or to him or to anyone else, don't make it about you having to pick up his work (although you can cite that), make it about the effect on your team/service and how that's affecting your customers/service users/other teams/the overall business.

Don't get into an argument with this person. Put everything on paper and send via email to him or your supervisors/HR etc.

If he's late with work, ask him why by email. If he has not closed a ticket, follow up via that same platform etc.

For emphasis, the most important thing to do is don't make this about you on a personal level. Do everything you can to avoid that or you'll find yourself defending against allegations of bullying and discrimination that everyone knows are nonsensical but will not say due to needing to seem politically correct, and you may end up being thrown under the bus by your organisation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 8:11pm On Jun 26
Zahra29:

Yes i do and i also remember that the British govt did little too late to stop the abuse of the COS by care agencies and applicants that pay for it. After making billions from the same low skilled workers they started blaming the same people they allowed in for high immigration figure

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 8:17pm On Jun 26
AgentXxx:
I never knew the word until when he used it with me and what i got online most especially Reddit was that micro managing is bad 😞. How do i document the abuse of business hours with evidence. Unless I take a video or picture of him and won’t that be trespassing?

Like others have stated..see yourself as a messenger in this case, whatever he says put it in writing and pass it on to your manager or HR.

Mental healthy is a touchy issue in work place and open for abuse, All you have to do is to listen to his concerns and not question or argue with him. At the end he will be asked to bring in doctor or GP report to back up his claim or mental health, though i'm not sure that individual is interested in that job.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iluvtotodie(m): 8:24pm On Jun 26
Good evening guys, i need help on how to resolve this. I was trying to create the eVisa for my son as i got an email to do so. While entering the BRP number, i entered the expiry date which the skilled work visa is to expire and not the one stated on the BRP card. Now after doing the ID check, it came out with this error. How can i go back to change the expiry date to the date all brp expires which is the one on the card. I tried deleting the form to apply again, but it keeps bringing up this same error.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by makazona(m): 8:34pm On Jun 26
Why is the Tory party always arrogant? You will never hear from them. They never reach out. It's been Labour and the Green Party.

Tufiakwa Ndi Conservatives.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mizGene(f): 8:36pm On Jun 26
TheCeasar:
make Una help me na
NIN is not an ID in that sense. It has no expiry.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:07pm On Jun 26
justwise:

Yes i do and i also remember that the British govt did little too late to stop the abuse of the COS by care agencies and applicants that pay for it. After making billions from the same low skilled workers they started blaming the same people they allowed in for high immigration figure
How did the govt make "billions" when so many of those who bought CoS were given little to no shifts from their agencies? No work = no tax revenue while still using public services.
The winners were the agencies/CoS agents who got away with tens of thousands because those they scammed were reluctant to report them, I guess for obvious reasons.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 10:11pm On Jun 26
Zahra29:

Did you just say naivety and complacency? Well, I call it deliberate permissiveness, and it's more due to the benefit they thought they could derive from it. Whether that panned out as they envisaged is another discussion entirely. Because I don't want to believe a govt as sophisticated as UK govt was so naive not to know that immigration route was being exploited or clueless enough not to know how to curtail the abuse early enough before it boomeranged.

And it will be interesting to see that MAC report that says those low skilled positions do not offer economic benefit. If they agree those roles filled employment areas that are shunned by British people and at the same time saying they offer no economic benefit, that to me sounds like oxymoron.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:55pm On Jun 26
justwise:

I know the answer to that question...Β£3.3 billion

That is how much immigrants contributes to public finance annually. If they cut immigration, they cut their source of income.

So its either they cut immigration and increase taxes or they reduce taxes, get more immigrants in for cheap labour and finance social services.

I heard somewhere that immigrants total tax contribution is more than what citizens contributes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:06pm On Jun 26
Zahra29:

So every country that wants to control immigration is akin to Hitler? What about when Nigeria expelled the Ghanaians years ago because of fears they were taking all the jobs etc?

To the bolded, these are exactly the measures that the government has recently introduced. Students were not an issue (the Chinese have the highest proportion of students - over 300k - and they are highly valued especially as they have a reputation for attending the red bricks) until the number of dependants exploded and it became obvious what the game was. Same applies to care visas - wasn't an issue until all the fake cos and high number of dependants, some of them sham arrangements. Now that dependants in these groups have been banned, migration figures have already dropped and are forecast to fall significantly. Labour has pledged to stop NHS recruiting from red list countries such as Nigeria, Zimbabwe etc. That will effect another drop if it's implemented.

20, 10, 5 years ago, net migration was averaging 200k and that was regarded as too high. It's quite naive to think that the government and majority of the electorate would not be concerned/alarmed at recent net migration levels of 750k, especially when they estimated that a high proportion of these are "economically inactive".

Would like to see the numbers of illegal migrants.

(1) (2) (3) ... (603) (604) (605) (606) (607) (608) (609) ... (630) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 5

Viewing this topic: oyetunjibaba and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.