Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,648 members, 7,878,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:59 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (614) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (560850 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (611) (612) (613) (614) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:15pm On Jul 02
Zahra29:

Nope, and simply because I know little about Nigerian issues,causes,politics etc apart from what I hear from other people or read online like on this forum.

I may sometimes join in discussions but it's difficult to contribute when I don't have many facts or first hand experience. Personally I'd like the opportunity to do something tangible like sponsoring someone in genuine need, such as a child's education, rather than blabbing on about topics I know nought about.

I imagine that I would be more vocal/passionate/concerned about a place I had lived all my life, even if I moved away, which is why I was curious.

Have you never lived in Nigeria then? Not that it matters. You are still a Nigerian and can take up causes in Nigeria. I don't think the Foreign husbands of Nigerian women will turn their noses up at a campaign in their favour now, do you?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:31pm On Jul 02
Peerielass:

Starmer described the Working Class in one of the interviews as people that live from pay-check to pay-check without any savings. By inference the rest of us are wealthy and he is coming for us

P.S I have already voted for the Conservatives. Wasted vote maybe but better the devil you know.

Not at all.

In a Parliamentary system of government (never mind the ludicrous First-past-the-post) system, your vote was not wasted, at all. Especially if the Conservative Parliamentary candidate you voted for, wins. That is the most important.

Unless you live in Holborn & St Pancras on London, or Richmond (Yorkshire) or Clacton, you are not voting for Keir Starmer or Rishi Sunak or Nigel Farage respectively.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:33pm On Jul 02
Is anyone else sort of hiding their face in both hands and peering in between their fingers at the goings on in France and US?

What if Marine Le Pen wins? I understand why macron called the elections but if brexit taught me anything,it's never call people's bluff. You ll always lose to the populists especially if they are racist and anti-immigration.
France and Germany are the pillars of the EU.what will become of the EU?

What in the world were those 6 US supreme court judges thinking?
Presidents are not kings and should not have immunity. They just validated an argument agent orange pulled out of his fundament.
Can Biden fight this election?

The only consolation is the centrist government we hope to vote in on Thursday .
Andrew Marr thinks that with the rest of Europe voting in freaking fascists, we will see an influx of business and cash as the only sane country in the mad mix.
That's my glimmer of hope.

Be vote ready

https://tacticalvote.co.uk/

Forgot to recommend a podcast "the news agents". By Emily maitlis, Jon sopel ,Lewis goodall.

Gosh,I absolutely love it. Do check it out on YouTube or wherever you get your podcast jedisco justwise
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by IridescentAge(m): 8:47pm On Jul 02
missjekyll:

Forgot to recommend a podcast "the news agents". By Emily maitlis, Jon sopel ,Lewis goodall.

I went to uni with Lewis. Same college. He's a good lad. Nice guy IRL. Very genuine.

Very strange to watch him be so popular/prevalent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:57pm On Jul 02
IridescentAge:

I went to uni with Lewis. Same college. He's a good lad. Nice guy IRL. Very genuine.

Lol. He is absolutely brilliant 👏 👌

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:04pm On Jul 02
dustydee:

What is FS?

Financial Services.... investment banks used to be awash with tech and other contracts, also accounting and the like.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:09pm On Jul 02
missjekyll:

Have you never lived in Nigeria then? Not that it matters. You are still a Nigerian and can take up causes in Nigeria. I don't think the Foreign husbands of Nigerian women will turn their noses up at a campaign in their favour now, do you?

Err, of course it absolutely matters. You do have a remarkable talent for missing the point, no matter how evident it is 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:10pm On Jul 02
IridescentAge:

Oxford Uni alumni in the house, whoop whoop
Lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:33pm On Jul 02
missjekyll:
Is anyone else sort of hiding their face in both hands and peering in between their fingers at the goings on in France and US?

What if Marine Le Pen wins? I understand why macron called the elections but if brexit taught me anything,it's never call people's bluff. You ll always lose to the populists especially if they are racist and anti-immigration.
France and Germany are the pillars of the EU.what will become of the EU?

What in the world were those 6 US supreme court judges thinking?
Presidents are not kings and should not have immunity. They just validated an argument agent orange pulled out of his fundament.
Can Biden fight this election?

The only consolation is the centrist government we hope to vote in on Thursday .
Andrew Marr thinks that with the rest of Europe voting in freaking fascists, we will see an influx of business and cash as the only sane country in the mad mix.
That's my glimmer of hope.

Be vote ready

https://tacticalvote.co.uk/

Gosh,I absolutely love it. Do check it out on YouTube or wherever you get your podcast jedisco justwise

Sunak, Macron and Biden are going to lose in the coming elections.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:17am
Zahra29:

Err, of course it absolutely matters. You do have a remarkable talent for missing the point, no matter how evident it is 😂

It is ridiculous to suggest that you need to have lived in a country inorder to care about its issues and seek to improve it.
I can think of dozens of campaigners who are doing exactly this.

Your time may be better spent doing this,I suggest, than making this rather frivolous point.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 5:55am
[/b]
missjekyll:

[b]It is ridiculous to suggest that you need to have lived in a country inorder to care about its issues and seek to improve it.

Your time may be better spent doing this,I suggest, than making this rather frivolous point.
Absolutely
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 6:18am
ReesheesuKnack:
I have decided to make this UK my home. I think it is/was the right decision. I have gotten opportunities that I could only have dreamt of, in my own country. Where Adanna refused to marry me. Not because I am an alien, not because I was Hausa or Yoruba. Not because I was a bad lover or not a good husband material.
Although I am/was Igbo. From Imo state. Adanna wasn’t allowed to marry me, because I am/was an Mbise man.

I believe the UK will experience ‘Change’ on Thursday.

I am however really afraid that the ‘Change’ being promised has not some, but ALL the hallmarks of the Buhari/Osinbajo APC Nigeria 2014/2015 Change.

As Nigerians in the UK, all we can do is wish for the best. But, I will implore all to manage our expectations, keep working hard and keep pressing on. But, eldorado is not going to come on Friday morning. Selah.

grin The highlighted made me smile. Took me back to reading African poetry/short stories in secondary school.. nice one
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:20am
lavida001:

Sunak, Macron and Biden are going to lose in the coming elections.

Don’t be too sure about Biden losing yet, a lot can happen between now and November 4th.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by vikaosi: 8:44am
Please how much is the Nigerian police certificate? And if I do it online, how long does it take.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:48am
missjekyll:

It is ridiculous to suggest that you need to have lived in a country inorder to care about its issues and seek to improve it.

Someone is defensive this morning. I hope you don't take this same energy out knocking doors 😂

Tbh I seem to care more about its issues than you do. It started off as a curious question but you turned it into a battle point.

Sorry to have caused offence, I'll let you get on with your selective "resistance fighting".
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:51am
justwise:

Don’t be too sure about Biden losing yet, a lot can happen between now and November 4th.

Unless he's able to convince the public that he is not as frail as his debate performance suggested....it's not looking good. His biggest opponent at this point is not Trump, but the sofa. I.e. many of his supporters would rather not vote at all.

Best to prepare yourself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (611) (612) (613) (614) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 5

Viewing this topic: vikaosi and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.