Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,863 members, 7,889,883 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:48 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (634) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (579521 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (631) (632) (633) (634) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 8:14pm
First of, I like Trump and think he did well in his term, bar his handling of covid, which has so many nuances that I think worth consideration.
This was a pandemic that wasn't planned for, but shook the world nonetheless...and yes they say Trump didn't take it seriously, and we heard that everyday. Let's agree that is the case, he still provided all that was needed to get a vaccine out in record time. He did that. Now, post election, and today covid has now been officially/scientifically agreed to be basically like any other cold/flu (Google it, if in doubt)....that sound familiar yep that was basically what he was saying in the early days (maybe not in the best way giving the emergent nature/pulse at the time), but it all still came full circle. I'm hammering on this point cos that is the major thing Dems and most others used against him, and the grouse most have against him. All well, and good.

Aside that, he had good figures when he ran the economy, and he put America first. He is the president of America, he doesn't have to be the Mr nice guy of the world, he really majorly has to be the president of America, and do what is best for America and Americans and I think he did okay, in that regard, in my opinion. not saying he doesn't have his downsides, his rambunctiousness for one, but I really think he did well and right by America.

When I heard of this shooting na Church I dey this afternoon...I no even know, na fellows there dey tell me say Twitter don dey on fire since yday...wetin concern me with Twitter. My first response was why now? Shey no be say this thing na strategy to sway emotions of voters? This despite that I like and support Trump o. Well, from the little I have gathered, I think it doesn't look staged at all. I think he got very lucky,.cos if he didn't twitch his head at that moment, he would be dead by now. As per the wound,and his ear not being blown off, YES YOU CAN GET GRAZED BY A BULLET, NO MATTER THE SIZE OR CALIBER OF THAT BULLET. HE GOT GRAZED AND THAT HAPPENS. Same bullet killed someone else in its path.

I also don't think it was staged cos of the profile of the shooter.

Think about it, if you want to stage something like that with your life on the line, you would get a seasoned professional, like expendables or MI6 level of professional to do that. It's just the logical thing I would do if i wanted to stage something as risky as my head being possibly blown off if this shooter isn't worth his weight in gold. 20 year old nerd isn't the profile of the perp that connected politicians would use to stage something like this. Just doesn't make sense to do that. He was in the line of fire ffs, certainly they would get a seasoned pro to try that kinda shi
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 9:16pm
toughest007:

Do you mind clarifying how exactly?

I'm surprised you asked this question, Anyway Goodenoch gave you the answer

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 9:19pm
justwise:

Yes I read in daily mail that he donated to Biden campaign at some point.

Just wondering though how that ear is still standing after being hit by bullet.

I believe the police report said he was hit by flying glass. Assault rifles cause damage not just by percussion but also by cavitation. He wouldnt have anything resembling an ear if he had been hit.

I ask again "will he be supporting the ban on assault rifles?"
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 9:34pm
missjekyll:

I believe the police report said he was hit by flying glass. Assault rifles cause damage not just by percussion but also by cavitation. He wouldnt have anything resembling an ear if he had been hit.

Obviously not.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 9:52pm
jedisco:

Rooting for England today as expected but if we no win, I hope some benevolence is not thrown at Saka and other black players.
Let the assault begin 🤦🏿….
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 10:03pm
missjekyll:

I don’t think any president would support that. Guns and Americans are 5&6… if it was that simple Obama would have done it. Biden is still the president he should have done it. …. Just the mention of banning assault raffle or even regulating/ restricting it purchase would make any aspirant lose election
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:06pm
Goodenoch:

https://www.vox.com/21506029/trump-violence-tweets-racist-hate-speech

Capitalizing on petty talks concocted out of emotional dislike of Trump is skewing your perception to what really constitutes pro-violence and advocacy of same. You guys just latch on to what the main stream media promotes and totally refuse to build an objective opinion.

Imagine posting a link for me and others to read twisted words from anti-Trump quarters. A lazy man's approach to objectivity!

Trump is exactly what the US needs right now.

Pro-violence my black hairy a**

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:07pm
kwakudtraveller:

Zahra abeg, you want him to chop Lentils Agoyin 😂 no now. If it’s not bean, it can never be like beans 😁

Ha ha 🤣🤣

I did want to add a caveat that it might depend on the type of dish...but it's definitely worth a try
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:12pm
wallg123:

Let the assault begin 🤦🏿….

Nah it'll be fine. It wasn't as bait as last time when it was the black players who were put up and lost the penalties.

Several black and mixed race players performed very well - Bellingham's overhead kick, Saka's equaliser, Watkins winning goal, Tony's winning penalty....(Hubby helped me with some of these names 😂)...better than Foden and Rice and others.

I think the flak might rest on Southgate and big question over whether he'll stay on. I like Southgate though, not his fault that Spain was the better team
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:13pm
justwise:

I'm surprised you asked this question, Anyway Goodenoch gave you the answer

Justwise, you need to be surprised since I refuse to consume skewed narratives from anti-Trump blogs.

Go out of your ways to research personalities and don't always build your opinion about certain discuss on petty summaries. Haba!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 10:17pm
toughest007:

Capitalizing on petty talks concocted out of emotional dislike of Trump is skewing your perception to what really constitutes pro-violence and advocacy of same. You guys just latch on to what the main stream media promotes and totally refuse to build an objective opinion.

Imagine posting a link for me and others to read twisted words from anti-Trump quarters. A lazy man's approach to objectivity!

Trump is exactly what the US needs right now.

Pro-violence my black hairy a**

Okay, boss. You are right.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 10:30pm
Zahra29:

Nah it'll be fine. It wasn't as bait as last time when it was the black players who were put up and lost the penalties.

Several black and mixed race players performed very well - Bellingham's overhead kick, Saka's equaliser, Watkins winning goal, Tony's winning penalty....(Hubby helped me with some of these names 😂)...better than Foden and Rice and others.

I think the flak might rest on Southgate and big question over whether he'll stay on. I like Southgate though, not his fault that Spain was the better team
Southgate is definitely going. He has done a good job though. Hopefully his successor outperforms him… England was out manoeuvred by the best team in the tournament.. Vamos Espana

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 10:36pm
Prodigal Son football no gree come Home oo 😂. Reading is as quiet as a graveyard despite the initial gra gra this evening . Is it the same in your area?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 10:38pm
Africa Direct… All their products are excellent .
babajeje123:

Do you mind sharing the package so we search for it too? Really deflated that our people prefer profit to the death of their fellow humans.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 10:46pm
wallg123:

I don’t think any president would support that. Guns and Americans are 5&6… if it was that simple Obama would have done it. Biden is still the president he should have done it. …. Just the mention of banning assault raffle or even regulating/ restricting it purchase would make any aspirant lose election

No need making noise about it then. The next would be assassin has already ordered his ar-15.
A ban on guns is 100% simple. The UK did it. New Zealand too.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:48pm
AgentXxx:
Prodigal Son football no gree come Home oo 😂. Reading is as quiet as a graveyard despite the initial gra gra this evening . Is it the same in your area?

How exactly did you confirm this? gra gra in all of Reading? That's incorrect! I want to believe the gra gra, if there was, happened in your remote neighbourhood.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:01pm
missjekyll:

No need making noise about it then. The next would be assassin has already ordered his ar-15.

The UK outlawed firearms after the Dunblane massacre, but it was easier to do because the right to bear arms wasn't written into our constitution or parliamentary laws and there was nowhere near the same degree of gun ownership or adoration in the UK as in the US.

The case in the US is far more difficult because of the above points. Add in their enormous population and geographical size and it would be near impossible to force everyone to give up all their weapons if they didn't want to.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:03pm
missjekyll:

Really? Just like that? Please stop the misinformation.

US citizens have the right to bear arms! The right is embedded in the second ammendment of their constitution. You don't just ban such things or wish it away, even with executive order! However, it can be regulated and that would really have minimal effect.

The UK and NZ scenarios are totally different from that of the US. Right to bear arms doesn't have a constitutional backing, so local gun laws can be made tighter and the use or ownership of firearms outrightly banned.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:08pm
Zahra29:

The UK outlawed firearms after the Dunblane massacre, but it was easier to do because the right to bear arms wasn't written into our constitution or parliamentary laws and there was nowhere near the same degree of gun ownership or adoration in the UK as in the US.

The case in the US is far more difficult because of the above points. Add in their enormous population and geographical size and it would be near impossible to force everyone to give up all their weapons if they didn't want to.

With what legal backing would this force come from?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 11:09pm
missjekyll:

No forget say America na the biggest military weapon dealer in the world. If them ban AR15 or any other assault weapon them go loose dominance in the weapons market globally. I hope someone does something about gun control though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:11pm
toughest007:

Really? Just like that? Please stop the misinformation.

US citizens have the right to bear arms! The right is embedded in the second ammendment of their constitution. You don't just ban such things or wish it away, even with executive order! However, it can be regulated and that would really have minimal effect.

The UK and NZ scenarios are totally different from that of the US. Right to bear arms doesn't have a constitutional backing, so local gun laws can be made tighter and the use or ownership of firearms outrightly banned.

Glad you mentioned the 2nd Amendment. Please quote it in all it's entirety.

The Constitution wasn't designed to be immutable. It should change with the times.
2A should be completely wiped off. What good has it ever done?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:13pm
wallg123:

No forget say America na the biggest military weapon dealer in the world. If them ban AR15 or any other assault weapon them go loose dominance in the weapons market globally. I hope someone does something about gun control though

They shot up a nursery school. 4 yr olds . Gone.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:22pm
toughest007:

With what legal backing would this force come from?

That was the first point I made - the right to bear arms is written into their constitution - so getting a full ban passed through congress ( and even then it would probably end up in the Supreme Court) would be a Herculean task.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 11:23pm
missjekyll:

They shot up a nursery school. 4 yr olds . Gone.
I’m always scared of visiting the states just because of this gun issue and black profiling. American politicians are built different
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:23pm
missjekyll:

Glad you mentioned the 2nd Amendment. Please quote it in all it's entirety.

The Constitution wasn't designed to be immutable. It should change with the times.
2A should be completely wiped off. What good has it ever done?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Google is my friend.

Its not as easy as you wish it, even with an executive order!

Yes, times have changed and with that, it has become totally impossible. Having a 2A to say what exactly about firearm? To remove that right? To limit the right in prevalent states? What exactly do you want to have in 2A? It's pointless having a 2A.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 11:26pm
Do you just want to argue? You asked a question and you didn’t allow me to answer before your conclusion 😒. Anyways you should have just ignored my post.
toughest007:

How exactly did you confirm this? gra gra in all of Reading? That's incorrect! I want to believe the gra gra, if there was, happened in your remote neighbourhood.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:28pm
Zahra29:

That was the first point I made - the right to bear arms is written into their constitution - so getting a full ban passed through congress ( and even then it would probably end up in the Supreme Court) would be a Herculean task.

From your response, I quote "...near impossible to force". I was expecting "impossible to force" since there can't be any legal backing.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 11:28pm
Your failure to read to understand before responding made you miss that I wasn’t referring to gra gra in reading but in England as a whole since last week. Be calming down Sir
toughest007:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:35pm
AgentXxx:
Do you just want to argue? You asked a question and you didn’t allow me to answer before your conclusion 😒. Anyways you should have just ignored my post.

You posted 'what you believe' to be fact-based information of a town I'm very familiar with and you expect me not to challenge it as I found it not to be fact-based and therefore untrue?

If you want me or anyone to ignore it, don't post what you ain't sure of here.

If you don't have the stomach to clarify, don't post here.

We are meant to learn and update ourselves of goings-on as it pertains to living in the UK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 11:40pm
toughest007:

Justwise, you need to be surprised since I refuse to consume skewed narratives from anti-Trump blogs.

Go out of your ways to research personalities and don't always build your opinion about certain discuss on petty summaries. Haba!!!

I know you will say this , this is typical of trump supporters, if you are not for Trump then it’s fake news, nothing written against Trump is true but anything in his favour is the gospel truth.

That article outlines Trump’s history of encouraging violence.

He lies for a living.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:41pm
AgentXxx:
Your failure to read to understand before responding made you miss that I wasn’t referring to gra gra in reading but in England as a whole since last week. Be calming down Sir

I'm calm and having a glass of wine, my good friend. There isn't any difficulty reading and understanding the basic words you have used.

Your initial post referred to the whole of Reading! Now, you are saying you weren't referring to Reading, but the whole of England.
Its OK.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 11:47pm
justwise:

I know you will say this , this is typical of trump supporters, if you are not for Trump then it’s fake news, nothing written against Trump is true but anything in his favour is the gospel truth.

That article outlines Trump’s history of encouraging violence.

He lies for a living.

Now, your emotions have kicked in! So you are replying emotionally.

I'm never a Trump supporter and would never be. That won't make me less objective about him.

Trump's history of encouraging violence as an individual or as POTUS? Don't you find it quite petty and hypocritical to say he encourages violence, while downplaying what Biden is doing in Ukraine and what others have done elsewhere?

Be objective mate, stop consuming info from main stream media!

(1) (2) (3) ... (631) (632) (633) (634) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 5

Viewing this topic: deept(m), Estroller, fatima04 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.