Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,531 members, 7,917,650 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 12:14 PM

The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination (1346 Views)

Supreme Court Dismisses PDP’s Suit Challenging ‘Double Nomination’ Of Shettima / Supreme Court May Sack Tinubu Over Shettima Double Nomination May 26 / Court Of Appeal Quashes PDP Case Against Tinubu/shettima Over Double Nomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 12:23am On May 23, 2023
The Supreme Court Hearing/Judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination.

Case No. 18.SC/CV/501/2023

PDP (Appellant) Vs INEC and 3 Others (Respondents). (APC, Tinubu and Shettima).

The case was called…

PDP is represented Joe I.B, Mike Ozekhome, and others.

INEC was represented by Isaac Adebiyi,

APC was represented by Babatunde Agana, Bridget Amaemi, Gbenga Benson, Julius Ishola

Third Respondent (Tinubu) Omosonya Popoola

Fourth Respondent (Shettima) Oluronke Adeyemi.

The fourth respondent stated that there is a motion on notice… the motion was filed as a pre-election matters. The application was filed on the 8th of May 2023.

The judge held that it’s a pre-election matters

The fourth respondent withdrew her motion.

The motion of 8th of May 2023 is hereby stricter out by the Judges.

According to the second respondent, the appellant is asking the court to hear the matter knowing that it has expired.

According to Joe I B… the appellant filed an appeal against INEC about double nomination, the matter was heard and even the 2nd respondent APC admitted to having double nomination under oath.

According to Joe Gazama, the issue of double nomination has been laid to rest in the case of Uche Nwosu.

APC in responding, stated that the honorable court should dismiss PDP’s appeal.

According to the judge, the Apc admitted to double nomination.

In response, APC stated that they didn’t admit to double nominations indicating that the case of Uche Nwosu we are talking about two party nomination which is Apc and AA… but in this case, the nominations are in the same party with us APC and the positions are presidency and senatorial. He went further to state that the appellant has filed the case in at the tribunal but wanting the Supreme Court to take over the duties of a case being currently tried at the tribunal…

The judge asked if the first respondent APC added it in his address which was an emphatic No…

The appeal was accepted and judgment set aside for 26th of May 2023.

1 Like

Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 12:24am On May 23, 2023
Supreme Court of justice will do the needful on Shettima case.
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 12:35am On May 23, 2023
Yes, we in PDP want Supreme Court on account of double nomination of Shettima by APC to INEC as Senatorial Candidate of APC in Borno State and at same time a Vice Presidential Candidate of APC to void the joint ticket of Tinubu-Shettima and declear all the votes credited to APC and Tinubu in the last Presidential Election as invalid and a wastage.

Once Supreme Court sees merit in our case, 2019 Bayelsa State scenario will repeat itself once again ni yen.
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by ivolt: 12:41am On May 23, 2023
press9jatv:
Yes, we in PDP want Supreme Court on account of double nomination of Shettima by APC to INEC as Senatorial Candidate of APC in Borno State and at same time a Vice Presidential Candidate of APC to void the joint ticket of Tinubu-Shettima and declear all the votes credited to APC and Tinubu in the last Presidential Election as invalid and a wastage.

Once Supreme Court sees merit in our case, 2019 Bayelsa State scenario will repeat itself once again ni yen.
2019 can't repeat itself because neither PDP nor LP meet the constitutional requirement of being declared a winner.
If the supreme court sees merit in the case, they will reserve judgment in order for the tribunal to deal with the issue
and to avoid constitutional crisis.
If there is no merit in the case, it will be dismissed outrightly.
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 1:17am On May 23, 2023
ivolt:

2019 can't repeat itself because neither PDP nor LP meet the constitutional requirement of being declared a winner.
If the supreme court sees merit in the case, they will reserve judgment in order for the tribunal to deal with the issue
Supreme Court of justice won’t dismiss the case outrightly. Let’s wait for their judgement this week Friday.
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by DMerciful(m): 2:51am On May 23, 2023
Why would they reserve judgement when its important that an unconstitutional president is not sworn in!
ivolt:

Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by JagabanBorgu: 2:57am On May 23, 2023
press9jatv:

Hoping on déàd hope.

1 Like

Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by chrisxxx(m): 3:12am On May 23, 2023
The case is doa. Whatever reason that was used to clear Akpabio and Lawan to contest for senate after contesting for the presidency would be given for Shettima. Case close.

2 Likes

Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by onatisi(m): 3:58am On May 23, 2023
press9jatv:
Supreme Court of justice will do the needful on Shettima case.
Don't raise your hopes too high.

1 Like

Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by Spy360(m): 4:03am On May 23, 2023
chrisxxx:
The case is doa. Whatever reason that was used to clear Akpabio and Lawan to contest for senate after contesting for the presidency would be given for Shettima. Case close.
You mean bribe? undecided
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by Illegal1(m): 6:06am On May 23, 2023
Omoh,.....dis 1 nah yeye case jare,notin cum out

2 Likes

Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 6:55am On May 23, 2023
onatisi:

Don't raise your hopes too high.
ok
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 6:55am On May 23, 2023
JagabanBorgu:

Hoping on déàd hope.
ok oooo
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by ivolt: 8:00am On May 23, 2023
DMerciful:
Why would they reserve judgement when its important that an unconstitutional president is not sworn in!
Important to who?
Do you even understand what "unconstitutional" means in this case?
Laws are made for men and not the other way round.
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 1:15am On May 24, 2023
*PDP vs APC Supreme Court Judgement slated for May 26, 2023: Matters Arising* .

Today, it seemed as if a sledgehammer had hit the APC camp as they might have been caught napping by the PDP over a case filed at the Supreme Court which came up for hearing today.

The Supreme Court Justices would have given judgment today perhaps but they moved the judgement to Friday, May 26th.

And that day is now probably the most important day in Nigeria since the February 25th Presidential election this year.

Millions of Nigerians also were not aware of the case which came up for judgement at the Supreme Court today. The shenanigans at the Presidential Election Tribunal in the past few days were enough distractions to even imagine that a case of this magnitude was waiting at the Supreme Court.

What is the judgment to be given by the Justices of the Supreme Court , in a nutshell? It is to determine if the APC Presidential running mate, Alhaji Shettima violated Section 35 of the Electoral Act 2022 by having a double nomination, thereby voiding the joint presidential ticket.

There’s been precedence set by the Supreme Court in a similar case like this with Uche Nwosu of Imo State. The Supreme Court ruled against Nwosu and disqualified him. That precedent is what many legal experts are looking at to see if the Justices will rule against Shettima and the APC this Friday.

I have spoken to a few brilliant lawyers and their positions are that Shettima has no hope of dodging this case, with all the facts of the case on ground. A couple more lawyers I asked for a balanced opinion are undecided. They feel it can go either way, since the confidence in the Supreme Court in giving the right and expected legal judgments in the political space has been waning for a couple of years now.

If the Supreme Court rules on Friday that Shettima violated the Electoral Law, it would mean outright disqualification of him and Bola Ahmed Tinubu, since it’s a joint ticket!

If that happens on Friday, it would mean a couple of things might happen, depending on the further judgement given. It might mean that the person whom INEC declared as the second position holder in the Presidential Election would be declared the President-Elect. That would be Atiku Abubakar. If that is the case, then Atiku will likely be sworn in as the President.

However, if the Supreme Court disqualifies both Tinubu and Shettima without making any pronouncement on who should be sworn in, there would likely be an extension for a number of days, of the Buhari presidency. Buhari might continue for not more than six months and if he doesn’t wish to continue in office beyond May 29th, perhaps Vice-President Osinbajo might hold forth for a few more months if he too wishes, until another election holds. These are my own layman’s opinions on what might be the scenario and not cast in stone under any legal framework. So, the reader should take this part about an extension of the Buhari/Osinbajo tenure as hypothetical on my part.

There is another scenario too. If Atiku is declared as the winner and sworn in, the case at the Presidential Election Tribunal asking for the judicial interpretation of the constitution as it concerns the 25% in the FCT will definitely come up.

Now, here’s what I think of that section of the constitution. I believe that for a winner to be declared in any Presidential Election, that person has to win 25% in the FCT. I think it’s a no-brainer. My own understanding tells me that the ‘AND’ in that section of the constitution is not in anyway ambiguous but a conjunctive requirement.

So, if Atiku is declared the winner if the judgement on Friday dismisses BAT and Shettima, it is rather likely that he will still step down when the Tribunal gives a judgment on that 25% in the FCT matter. If that happens, Atiku and Obi will slug it out in a run off election, going by the Electoral law, because BAT and Shettima would have been disqualified from running in that run-off.

So, you now can see why this Friday the 26th of May is an important day for millions of Nigerians.

I can only imagine the kind of pressure the Honourable Justices of the Supreme Court are under right now.

Nigerians can only hope that they give the judgement which satisfies their consciences according to the rule of law.

1 Like

Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by SweetJoystick(m): 5:43am On May 24, 2023
press9jatv:
*PDP vs APC Supreme Court Judgement slated for May 26, 2023: Matters Arising* .

Today, it seemed as if a sledgehammer had hit the APC camp as they might have been caught napping by the PDP over a case filed at the Supreme Court which came up for hearing today.

The Supreme Court Justices would have given judgment today perhaps but they moved the judgement to Friday, May 26th.

And that day is now probably the most important day in Nigeria since the February 25th Presidential election this year.

Millions of Nigerians also were not aware of the case which came up for judgement at the Supreme Court today. The shenanigans at the Presidential Election Tribunal in the past few days were enough distractions to even imagine that a case of this magnitude was waiting at the Supreme Court.

What is the judgment to be given by the Justices of the Supreme Court , in a nutshell? It is to determine if the APC Presidential running mate, Alhaji Shettima violated Section 35 of the Electoral Act 2022 by having a double nomination, thereby voiding the joint presidential ticket.

There’s been precedence set by the Supreme Court in a similar case like this with Uche Nwosu of Imo State. The Supreme Court ruled against Nwosu and disqualified him. That precedent is what many legal experts are looking at to see if the Justices will rule against Shettima and the APC this Friday.

I have spoken to a few brilliant lawyers and their positions are that Shettima has no hope of dodging this case, with all the facts of the case on ground. A couple more lawyers I asked for a balanced opinion are undecided. They feel it can go either way, since the confidence in the Supreme Court in giving the right and expected legal judgments in the political space has been waning for a couple of years now.

If the Supreme Court rules on Friday that Shettima violated the Electoral Law, it would mean outright disqualification of him and Bola Ahmed Tinubu, since it’s a joint ticket!

If that happens on Friday, it would mean a couple of things might happen, depending on the further judgement given. It might mean that the person whom INEC declared as the second position holder in the Presidential Election would be declared the President-Elect. That would be Atiku Abubakar. If that is the case, then Atiku will likely be sworn in as the President.

However, if the Supreme Court disqualifies both Tinubu and Shettima without making any pronouncement on who should be sworn in, there would likely be an extension for a number of days, of the Buhari presidency. Buhari might continue for not more than six months and if he doesn’t wish to continue in office beyond May 29th, perhaps Vice-President Osinbajo might hold forth for a few more months if he too wishes, until another election holds. These are my own layman’s opinions on what might be the scenario and not cast in stone under any legal framework. So, the reader should take this part about an extension of the Buhari/Osinbajo tenure as hypothetical on my part.

There is another scenario too. If Atiku is declared as the winner and sworn in, the case at the Presidential Election Tribunal asking for the judicial interpretation of the constitution as it concerns the 25% in the FCT will definitely come up.

Now, here’s what I think of that section of the constitution. I believe that for a winner to be declared in any Presidential Election, that person has to win 25% in the FCT. I think it’s a no-brainer. My own understanding tells me that the ‘AND’ in that section of the constitution is not in anyway ambiguous but a conjunctive requirement.

So, if Atiku is declared the winner if the judgement on Friday dismisses BAT and Shettima, it is rather likely that he will still step down when the Tribunal gives a judgment on that 25% in the FCT matter. If that happens, Atiku and Obi will slug it out in a run off election, going by the Electoral law, because BAT and Shettima would have been disqualified from running in that run-off.

So, you now can see why this Friday the 26th of May is an important day for millions of Nigerians.

I can only imagine the kind of pressure the Honourable Justices of the Supreme Court are under right now.

Nigerians can only hope that they give the judgement which satisfies their consciences according to the rule of law.

Well said, but i don't think Atiku will be sworn in on the basis of having come second, remember the election is being challenged, the supreme court will rather have that settled by the tribunal...it's more likely of an extension of Buhari/Osinbajo government happening, Buhari will decline to continue. Osinbajo will head an interim government as it seems
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 6:03am On May 24, 2023
SweetJoystick:

Well said, but i don't think Atiku will be sworn in on the basis of having come second, remember the election is being challenged, the supreme court will rather have that settled by the tribunal...it's more likely of an extension of Buhari/Osinbajo government happening, Buhari will decline to continue. Osinbajo will head an interim government as it seems
ok
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by Greenbirth: 6:26am On May 24, 2023
Section 115(D) ,2022 said no politician should contest for two constituency in the same election. Let me clear this. Constituency means two seat.
If you buy a party form to contest,you are not a candidate yet but an aspirant of that party for primary election under that party.

But if you win that primary election then you became a candidate of which your name will be forwarded to INEC and Form EC9 Will be given to you to sign. That is where Shettima had problems now.

Shettima signed the EC9 form twice of which by law is not allowed. He signed for Senate and for vice president. So he has committed an offence.

The Apkabios did not sign the form because they were still aspirants. Simple and Short the case is against Shettima
Re: The Supreme Court Hearing/judgement In The Case Of Shettima’s Double Nomination by press9jatv: 6:35am On May 24, 2023
Greenbirth:
Section 115(D) ,2022 said no politician should contest for two constituency in the same election. Let me clear this. Constituency means two seat.
If you buy a party form to contest,you are not a candidate yet but an aspirant of that party for primary election under that party.

But if you win that primary election then you became a candidate of which your name will be forwarded to INEC and Form EC9 Will be given to you to sign. That is where Shettima had problems now.

Shettima signed the EC9 form twice of which by law is not allowed. He signed for Senate and for vice president. So he has committed an offence.

The Apkabios did not sign the form because they were still aspirants. Simple and Short the case is against Shettima
Na this technicality will knock Shettima and Tinubu out. The court of justice will do the needful on their cases

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Herdsmen Killings In Benue Caused By Igbos / Some Native Business Men Of Lagos ( See Photo) / A Reply To Reno: Peter Obi Didn't Build A School From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.