Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,499 members, 7,911,174 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 06:44 AM

Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit (457 Views)

Omg! Bobrisky Reacts To "Leave Nigeria Or Quit Lgbt...." (video) / Chioma Jesus Vs Beyoncé Trending On Twitter - Nigerians React To The Comparison / Chioma Jesus: I Almost Gave Up Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 05, 2023
Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles or Quit Music Entirely

Seeing a gospel music OG like Chioma Jesus, who no doubt is super talented, struggle musically breaks my heart severely. Sometimes, I wish she didn’t return to the music scene after several years of leaving. She definitely would have still been getting royalties and invitations to perform on special occasions, and that honor would have remained untouched. But then she probably returned because of how much music streaming pays, or maybe because of calls from fans and pals for her return. However, since her return, it hasn’t been rosy. The streams haven’t been massive, and I believe people who lured her to return would have probably abandoned her just like LP supporters have done to Peter Obi and his mandate recovery.
The reason for Chioma’s struggle is nothing more than her failure to evolve to the current standards of gospel music. She has remained stuck in her old pattern of music, which does not suit the taste of contemporary gospel music audiences. I will be discussing Chioma Jesus’ pitfalls under the following points:

1. Her Sounds: Gospel music has surely evolved from times when gospel artists just went to the studio, sometimes unprepared, and just sang what the spirit lays in their hearts with a natural voice. No effects! No retouches! Just as the spirit lays in their hearts, with a natural voice. No effects! No retouches! Just freestyle with a plain, natural voice and tone, coming straight from the throne of grace. Nah! We are no longer in those eras. These days, an artist doesn’t just receive inspiration and rush to the studio. You plan, replan, spice up the lyrics, and even after recording, do a lot of finishing touches to appeal to your audience. Currently, gospel music is even moving from studio-type records to audience live recordings, which of course are groovier. Chioma Jesus, however, has remained stuck in the 2006 style of sound, which of course is far outdated.

2. Her Videos: One other reason why audience live recording is the most preferred style of sound nowadays is because of its excellent video content. While recording your songs, an artist also gets to capture the moment, experience, and audience response. From this live recording, an artist can even get a glimpse of how well a song will do when released. The unplanned and spontaneous audience response from live video recordings is also soul-chilling and can make you love a song you didn’t like at first.
Unfortunately, Chioma Jesus has also yet to come to terms with this style. She still uses those archaic styles of shooting videos. Still shoots videos on mountains, valleys, and grasslands where cows are being grazed, and is still stuck in the pattern where an artiste will shoot a single video with more than 18 outfits. Where choreographers would tie wrappers on their waists and hold handkerchiefs in their hands and dance all these ancient cultural dances, and where unnecessary dramas are acted on a music video just to extend watch time. Nobody loves this kind of dramatic video anymore. If it’s not an audience live video record, then it should simply be a classy modern one.

3. Her Dress Sense: I might want to cut her some slack on this, especially concerning her age, but then Chioma Jesus should stop dressing like Deborah the prophetess if she truly wants to augment her acceptability in the contemporary gospel music scene. Most gospel music audiences, i.e., streamers, are young people between the ages of 17–35, so you would definitely have to appeal to almost all aspects of their fancies to get their attention. Dressing like an executive of a Catholic Women's organization is okay, but does it appeal to your target audience? Wearing ancient head-ties and ancient deeper-life types of garments is fine, but doesn’t it scare your audience? I didn’t say she should dress indecently, but then she should free up a bit. Be more classy and trendy. She should borrow a leaf from Sinach.

4. Her Music/Album Covers: Recently, I came across one of her songs on Boomplay, and I couldn’t help but laugh out loud, at the kind of cover that was used. So old and outdated. For goodness’ sake, doesn’t Chioma Jesus see what modern days gospels do? Or is she just refusing to upgrade her style? Gone are the days when album and music covers would be like "Eze-igwe Cherebium entertainment presents" in capital letters and huge fonts. Or when the artiste’s studio picture that looked like wallpaper was used as an album or music cover. Gone are the days when dramatic illustrations like thunder, lightning, fire, or earthquakes were inserted at the top left-hand side of the music cover, and a pastor firing demons with his bible was inserted at the bottom right of the cover. No! These dramatic illusions are outdated. We are gone past the days of Isaka, Aki na Ukwa, and Osuofia in Maldives. We are in the modern and even the gospel shouldn’t be lagging behind. Mercy Chinwo’s recent EP’S Cover proves that a gospel album or music cover can be fancy and still glorify God. Chioma Jesus should please stop living in the past.

Bonus Point: Maybe Chioma Jesus should also consider doing a change of name. Maybe from Chioma Jesus to Minister Chioma or Minister Chommy, Chomz or Chomzy. Yes, we are children of God, but that doesn’t mean we should be old-fashioned. Mummy Chioma Jesus, you can do better ma.
From a Concerned Fan

Re: Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit by Xxxxtentacion2: 8:27pm On Jun 05, 2023
Lol

2 Likes

Re: Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit by MrXhime(m): 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2023
Ceiling fan.. she's getting paid.. no disturb yourself

2 Likes

Re: Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit by Armaggedon: 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2023
Just writing like a fool.
If I ask you to define "contemporary gospel music style" now you will go dumb.

1 Like

Re: Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit by ConfidentialDoc: 10:29pm On Jun 05, 2023
At over 50 years old ?

1 Like

Re: Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit by dollynnn(f): 11:21pm On Jun 05, 2023
You should get her personal e-mail account and send her these woes of lamentation.
Re: Chioma Jesus Should Either Evolve To Contemporary Gospel Music Styles Or Quit by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 06, 2023
You are not her caller!
She's doing what her maker sent her.
Everyman should learn to focus on their league. With this there would be less unhealthy competition in Christiandom.

(1) (Reply)

Eyepopping Photos Of US Lady Claiming She's Expecting Child With Da / "They Don't Know That Am Not On The Same Level As Nigerian Artist"-Burna Boy / Burna Boy Stop Concert To Pay Last RESPECT To Wizkid's Mum (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.