Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,683 members, 7,948,550 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 01:34 AM

Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? (6958 Views)

Applicant Must Be An Indigene / Bola Tinubu Is Not An Indigene Of Lagos -bode Thomas / Meet The Pretty Wife Of Peter Obi Who Is An Indigene Of Cross River State (photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by FreedomfromtheT: 8:03am On Jun 12, 2023
T8ksy:

Yep.............however, we are all Yorubas!

Ikeja, ikorodu, epe etc were founded by the ijebus.These places were at the time, yorubaland then it was western region , followed by Oyo state but after the formation of lagos state in 1976, they too, became Lagosians!

Moreover, these Ijebus that founded the aforementioned lands, built their houses where they settled and raised their families which later on becomes the agbo-ile of the founding fathers of these areas.

But then, we should also bear in mind that these founding fathers (of different parts of Lagos) came from different "Agbo-iles" in the hinterland of Ijebuland.

This is why, I, an ijebu man from Odogbolu, in ogun state can claim to be a "Lagosian".
We are talking about who are the real Lagos indigenes not who are Yorubas.
Please stop the mixup.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Gajagojo: 10:17am On Jun 12, 2023
Before talking of indigenes we need to use precise terms

Lagos state

Is not the same thing as "Lagos"

Let us learn to use words accurately and stop being lazy take the time and effort to type Lagos state not Lagos.

They are not the same thing

Just like in these states
There is a distinction between the state and the city which the state is named after
Enugu
Ondo
Oyo
Bauchi
Kano
Sokoto
Kaduna

That is the first test of who is an indigene
They know the difference between Lagos and Lagos State
But outsiders are too lazy or too ignorant to realise how important that is

Lagos state was created in 1967 by adding territory from the Western region to Lagos

Lagos State at creation has FIVE ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISIONS
LAGOS
EPE
IKORODU
IKEJA
BADAGRY

So Lagos is 20% of Lagos state administratively and in land mass much less
There is an Oba of Lagos.

He is not Oba of Lagos state
There are monarchs in Epe,Ikorodu,Badagry and Ikeja

That distinction matters to indigenes

An indigenes of Ikorodu does not consider himself a Lagosian
Lagos is very different from Lagos state

Ikorodu and Epe are Ijebu
Badagry are Ogu

3 Likes

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by tundearos: 11:22am On Jun 12, 2023
Gajagojo:
Before talking of indigenes we need to use precise terms

Lagos state

Is not the same thing as "Lagos"

Let us learn to use words accurately and stop being lazy take the time and effort to type Lagos state not Lagos.

They are not the same thing

Just like in these states
There is a distinction between the state and the city which the state is named after
Enugu
Ondo
Oyo
Bauchi
Kano
Sokoto
Kaduna

That is the first test of who is an indigene
They know the difference between Lagos and Lagos State
But outsiders are too lazy or too ignorant to realise how important that is

Lagos state was created in 1967 by adding territory from the Western region to Lagos

Lagos State at creation has FIVE ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISIONS
LAGOS
EPE
IKORODU
IKEJA
BADAGRY

So Lagos is 20% of Lagos state administratively and in land mass much less
There is an Oba of Lagos.

He is not Oba of Lagos state
There are monarchs in Epe,Ikorodu,Badagry and Ikeja

That distinction matters to indigenes

An indigenes of Ikorodu does not consider himself a Lagosian
Lagos is very different from Lagos state

Ikorodu and Epe are Ijebu
Badagry are Ogu
People should ignore this tread, there is nothing you will say that the guy will listen. He had already made up his hate-filled mind. LAGOS Indigenous law has come to stay. God bless Lagos state.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by joyandfaith: 11:26am On Jun 12, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
My parents are from Imo State but I have lived in Lagos for the most part of my life.
My younger siblings were born and grew up in Lagos and are still living here.
A lot of my friends and neighbours' parents are either from Ogbomosho, Ondo, Abeokuta, Ifo, Ota, Ibadan, Ilorin, Oshogbo, Ijebu Ode, Ijebu Igbo, Sagamu, Ilawe Ekiti, Owo and various parts of Southwest.
Please stop mixing up being Yoruba with being an indigene of Lagos.
So who is an indigene of Lagos?

Indigenes of Lagos and badagry are different from Indigenes of mushin, ikorodu, and ikeja. Well, we still have issue of aboriginal in Nigeria. The owner of land is the real Indigene. Get land and become Indigene.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by T8ksy(m): 1:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
We are talking about who are the real Lagos indigenes not who are Yorubas.
Please stop the mixup.

I have just explained to you in plain elementary english who the real lagos indigenes, are.

Once again to reiterate, the descendants of these Yorubas, who founded various parts of Lagos, are the true indigenes of Lagos.

Which part of my statement above, are you conflicted with?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by T8ksy(m): 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2023
Stoplying:

No, you are not a Lagosian and your story is not only unsubstantiated, it is also stupid. But with you Yoruba, facts, logic, and making sense don't matter.

You are free to believe what you deemed true i.e Jesus Christ came to save ALL mankind.
Are you a "Lagosian"?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 2:03pm On Jun 12, 2023
T8ksy:

You are free to believe what you deemed true i.e Jesus Christ came to save ALL mankind.
Are you a "Lagosian"?
So according to you I believe that Jesus Christ is the saviour of mankind ?
What does that have to do with the topic ?
So now you want the debate to be turned into religious debates and blind belief in Christianity ? Therefore you require blind belief in Yoruba fairytales.
Discussing with you guys makes people dumber, there is no logic in your approach, actually your approach is openly and deliberately against skepticism and logic and proof. You want to create fanatics like yourself. You think history is a religious belief and you write your religion/history then you distribute it and everybody should just have blind faith and believe whatever trash you and your fellow yoruba fanatics come up with.

Don't quote me again, useless person.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by T8ksy(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2023
Stoplying:

So according to you I believe that Jesus Christ is the saviour of mankind ?
What does that have to do with the topic ?
So now you want the debate to be turned into religious debates and blind belief in Christianity ? Therefore you require blind belief in Yoruba fairytales.
Discussing with you guys makes people dumber, there is no logic in your approach, actually your approach is openly and deliberately against skepticism and logic and proof. You want to create fanatics like yourself. You think history is a religious belief and you write your religion/history then you distribute it and everybody should just have blind faith and believe whatever trash you and your fellow yoruba fanatics come up with.

Don't quote me again, useless person.

Are you a "Lagosian" ?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by FreedomfromtheT: 8:54pm On Jun 12, 2023
T8ksy:

I have just explained to you in plain elementary english who the real lagos indigenes, are.

Once again to reiterate, the descendants of these Yorubas, who founded various parts of Lagos, are the true indigenes of Lagos.

Which part of my statement above, are you conflicted with?
Ok.
Whatgat of those that later migrated from Ogun, Ekiti, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi and Ondo states?
Are these also indigenous Lagosians?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by T8ksy(m): 1:33pm On Jun 13, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
Ok.
Whatgat of those that later migrated from Ogun, Ekiti, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi and Ondo states?
Are these also indigenous Lagosians?

I have already answered your question in bold, however i will repeat it here again, they are not indigenous "Lagosians".
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by FreedomfromtheT: 2:42pm On Jun 13, 2023
T8ksy:

I have already the question in bold however i will repeat here again, they are not indigenous "Lagosians".
Ok.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by T8ksy(m): 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
Ok.

Almost all (circa. 98%) indigenous "Lagosians" are Yorubas
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by FreedomfromtheT: 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2023
T8ksy:

Almost all (circa. 98%) indigenous "Lagosians" are Yorubas
Are all Yorubas who migrated from Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi and Ekiti states indigenous Lagosians?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by T8ksy(m): 4:09pm On Jun 14, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
Are all Yorubas who migrated from Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi and Ekiti states indigenous Lagosians?

Nope.............but indigenous Lagosians are Yorubas who traced their roots back to ile- ife.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 4:57pm On Jun 14, 2023
T8ksy:

Nope.............but indigenous Lagosians are Yorubas who traced their roots back to ile- ife.
Complete lie, show me proof of any body actually migrating from Ife which was built in 1912 (prior to that it was a small settlement).
True Lagosians are not Yoruba and have no links whatsoever to Ife, their links are with Benin kingdom (of which Lagos was a province) not Ife.
Yoruba itself is not the name of a people but that of a small kingdom which Fulani pulverised and of which the Fulani took the capital.
You guys always make claims of migration from Ife, but none of those claims have ever been substantiate. And let us not forget that according to your Oni of Ife, Igbos also migrated from Ife. Soon enough, we will find out that buhari migrated from Ife 🤡

"Trace their root to Ife" 🤡
Precolonial map below says roots are Benin. Perhaps you should stop the tracing of roots because you are very bad at it.

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by T8ksy(m): 5:25pm On Jun 14, 2023
Stoplying:

Complete lie, show me proof of any body actually migrating from[b] Ife which was built in 1912 (prior to that it was a small settlement).[/b]
True Lagosians are not Yoruba and have no links whatsoever to Ife, their links are with Benin kingdom (of which Lagos was a province) not Ife.
Yoruba itself is not the name of a people but that of a small kingdom which Fulani pulverised and of which the Fulani took the capital.
You guys always make claims of migration from Ife, but none of those claims have ever been substantiate. And let us not forget that according to your Oni of Ife, Igbos also migrated from Ife. Soon enough, we will find out that buhari migrated from Ife 🤡

"Trace their root to Ife" 🤡
Precolonial map below says roots are Benin. Perhaps you should stop the tracing of roots because you are very bad on it.

Omo, na wa o! Why the thing dey pain you so much?
I suppose, you know yoruba's history more than the Yorubas, themselves.

So, ile-ife was built in 1912, 2 yrs before Amalgamation? Clap for your self!

Benin kingdom that was destroyed by the brits in 1897. When the brits came to Lagos circa. 1860, who did they meet in lagos? Yorubas or Benin people?

Half education is no good o.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 6:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
T8ksy:

Omo, na wa o! Why the thing dey pain you so much?
I suppose, you know yoruba's history more than the Yorubas, themselves.

So, ile-ife was built in 1912, 2 yrs before Amalgamation? Clap for your self!

Benin kingdom that was destroyed by the brits in 1897. When the brits came to Lagos circa. 1860, who did they meet in lagos? Yorubas or Benin people?

Half education is no good o.
1) contrary to your belief, the British are not gods.
2) the Precolonial map which I posted predates the British taking Lagos from Benin.
3) after the British took Lagos from Benin, they flooded it with American and European freed slaves and local slaves also migrated into Lagos.
4) once again, Yoruba is not a people but a Precolonial country also known as oyo kingdom.
5) the first mention of Yoruba is from 1808, all these different people who originate from slavery have decided to call themselves Yoruba, that is what explains Yoruba presence in Lagos.
6) migration into Lagos never stopped right from when the British took it over from Benin, it is still ongoing today.
7) it seems you have difficulties understanding, let me be even clearer: when the British took over Lagos, it was a part of Benin, it's people were by definition, Benin people or shall I say Edo. The British didn't take Lagos from Ife, they took it from the Oba of Benin !
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 6:03pm On Jun 14, 2023
Stoplying:
Eyewitness writen precolonial text stating clearly that Lagos belongs to Benin:

"Captain Horseley called it Eco, and that is how the yebous refer to it; but it is not their land: it belongs to Benin, whom have named it Korame, you can recognise the Curamo from older Portuguese reports, just like Eko represents the Ichoo from Holland Hydrographs. Long ago Korame was linked to its metropolis by a very narrow piece of land contained between the great Laguna and the sea; but it has been a while since the Yebous have seazed that very narrow piece of land of which the eastern extremity was invaded by ouyo pirates; and Karamé remained isolated at the extremity of the great Laguna, while it continues to receive from Benin it's governor or political chief."

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5806879x.r=Y%C3%A9bou?rk=21459;2

Precolonial map of the region showing that Lagos (in its currents form) and its environs were part of Benin (see below)
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=150215;2

Conclusion: Lagos and its environs were part of Benin.

I am not interested in debating things which have already been proven. Also I am not interested in talking to people whom have been harrassing me. (I also want to add that I am actually the only person whom has commented here who actually speaks french and that I am the person who posted the french caption and the book from which it is to nairaland. Some delusional people who don't speak a word of frecnh were trying to "debate" me on the translation of the text several months ago. Fools can only fool other fools.)

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by FreedomfromtheT: 10:27am On Jun 15, 2023
T8ksy:

Do you mean that the indigenous Egun people of Badagry also trace their way to Ile Ife?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Christistruth03: 11:15am On Jun 15, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
Do you mean that the indigenous Egun people of Badagry also trace their way to Ile Ife?

Yes they do

They descended from the Olupopo Who was Oduduwa's Son and the Yorubas call them the Popos they are the same People as the Ewe in in Benin Republic,Togo and Ghana the Ga of the Accra area in Ghana are their Kinsmen

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/03/yoruba-in-badagry-are-from-ile-ife-not-ghana-high-chief-wawu/

Now where are you from?

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Christistruth03: 11:35am On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:
grin

Yebous is Ijebu

It was the Ijebu that successfully drove Benin from Lagos and took over the left a small remnant of Benin at Isale Eko on Lagos Island
as an act of Mercy because the only place that they could have escaped to was the bottom of the Atlantic ocean as they were completely surrounded by the Atlantic ocean

And that was even before the 18th Century

We challenge you to show us any Ancestral Land in Lagos Belonging to the Oba of Benin

Who to his Credit has never for even once dragged Lagos with the Yorubas or disputed Yoruba ownership of Lagos

The Ijebu Remo and the Benin People were close Kinsmen and when Benin became overbearing because of the firearms they had bought from their Portuguese trading Partners the Ijebus had a very good reason to be rid of them which they did as soon as the Ijebus had been able to secure Firearms and learnt how to use them

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by FreedomfromtheT: 11:50am On Jun 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

Yes they do

They descended from the Olupopo Who was Oduduwa's Son and the Yorubas call them the Popos they are the same People as the Ewe in in Benin Republic,Togo and Ghana the Ga of the Accra area in Ghana are their Kinsmen

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/03/yoruba-in-badagry-are-from-ile-ife-not-ghana-high-chief-wawu/

Now where are you from?
So I should take this your history book to the bank as fact and reality?
So you actually accept that the socalled indigenous Lagosians are actually migrants to Lagos like others?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by FreedomfromtheT: 11:52am On Jun 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

Yes they do

Now where are you from?
So you expect me to take this your history class to the bank as fact and reality?
If this your story is true, it means that the socalled indigenous Lagosians are actually migrants to Lagos like others, aren't they?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Christistruth03: 11:57am On Jun 15, 2023
FreedomfromtheT:
So you expect me to take this your history class to the bank as fact and reality?
If this your story is true, it means that the socalled indigenous Lagosians are actually migrants to Lagos like others, aren't they?
The Popos Kingdom is a Yoruba Kingdom and the Oba of Badagry wears an Ife beaded Crown you can check it out on his head

So you are calling Egun People who arrived in Lagos in the 17th Century as guests of the Awori Oba the Alapa of Apa Migrants ?

Yorubas don't call them Migrants because their Journey began at Ile Ife with the Olupopo who was Oduduwa's Son

Where did you say you were from again ?

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 12:11pm On Jun 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

Yebous is Ijebu

It was the Ijebu that successfully drove Benin from Lagos and took over
And that was even before the 18th Century

I challenge you to show us any Ancestral Land in Lagos Belonging to the Oba of Benin

Who to his Credit has never for even once dragged Lagos with the Yorubas or disputed Yoruba ownership of Lagos
Complete unsubstantiated rubbish as usual. Actually the Jebu were vassals of the of Benin and the ownership of Lagos went directly from the Oba of Benin to the king of England. Your challenge is stupid, I already provided Precolonial maps and Precolonial texts making it clear that Lagos was part of Benin. My claim is proven.
I don't dwell in fairytales unlike you who keep talking about a fairytale character like oduduwa while discussing history. For your information, once again, oduduwa never existed.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 12:14pm On Jun 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

The Popos Kingdom is a Yoruba Kingdom and the Oba of Badagry wears an Ife beaded Crown you can check it out on his head

So you are calling Egun People who arrived in Lagos in the 17th Century as guests of the Awori Oba the Alapa of Apa Migrants ?

Yorubas don't call them Migrants because their Journey began at Ile Ife with the Olupopo who was Oduduwa's Son

Where did you say you were from again ?
We are talking about history and as usual the Yoruba guy starts talking about fairytales like oduduwa and unsubstantiated migration from Ife. Ife which was only built up in 1912 by the British (being a small settlement previous to 1912).
Have you ever cared to show actual proof for your claims ? Is it just your fanaticism which you want to share ? If you don't know anything about history then perhaps you should stop debating history. And stop contradicting proven facts.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Christistruth03: 12:16pm On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

Complete unsubstantiated rubbish as usual. Actually the Jebu were vassals of the of Benin and the ownership of Lagos went directly from the Oba of Benin to the king of England. Your challenge is stupid, I already provided Precolonial maps and Precolonial texts making it clear that Lagos was part of Benin. My claim is proven.
I don't dwell in fairytales unlike you who keep talking about a fairytale character like oduduwa while discussing history. For your information, once again, oduduwa never existed.

Yoruba History is not Rubbish
That was the explanation of why the Oba of Egun Badagry is wearing an Ife Beaded Crown that only Monarchs descended from Oduduwa Wear
That is why you get trashed all the time

So where did you say you were from again?
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 12:19pm On Jun 15, 2023
Christistruth03:

Yoruba History is not Rubbish

That is why you get trashed all the time

So where did you say you were from again?
You are delusional.
You confuse fairytales with history, what you call "Yoruba history" is just a bunch of fairytales. And you ignore proof which shows you are wrong.
I don't need to claim any ethnicity, logic and knowledge has nothing to do with one's ethnicity.
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Christistruth03: 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:

You are delusional.
You confuse fairytales with history, what you call "Yoruba history" is just a bunch of fairytales. And you ignore proof which shows you are wrong.
I don't need to claim any ethnicity, logic and knowledge has nothing to do with one's ethnicity.

What a Pity

You don't have a Clue about Egun History

The Egun are Gbe Language Speakers of Yoruba Ancestry

The Egun of Benin Republic,the Ewe tribe of Togo and Ghana and the Ga of Accra area and the Western Coast of Ghana are all the same People of Yoruba Ancestry

They decended from the Olupopo the Son of Oduduwa

Infact since the Alaafin ruled them they become bilingual speaking both Egun and Yoruba

I suggest you go to the Oba of Badagry's Palace and confirm from him that his Crown is an Ife Beaded Crown which only Monarchs descended from Oduduwa wear

That Crown on the Oba Badagry head is an Ife Beaded Crown it is the Ooni of Ife's Property that was gifted only to the Ife Princes

Only Obas descended from Oduduwa wear it
and Only the Ooni of Ife gives them out and authorise their use by a monarch
and it has been so for the last 1000 years

Once any Yoruba Person see's that Crown on any Monarch's head, the full story of his lineage from Oduduwa's Ife Princes has been told

Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Stoplying: 12:35pm On Jun 15, 2023
Don't argue with a fool, and calling @christistruth s fool is an insult to fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PYb28ULHQ
Re: Who Is An Indigene Of Lagos? by Christistruth03: 12:49pm On Jun 15, 2023
Stoplying:
Don't argue with a fool, and calling @christistruth s fool is an insult to fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PYb28ULHQ

Your Case is easy

Ok listen to the Oba of lagos Himself

At 25 mins of the Video below what exactly did the oba of lagos mean when he Said
"i am a yoruba monarch" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0IK0SL9s0&t=1740s

And For the one thousandth time What did Oba of lagos mean when he himself told you with his own mouth at 5.45 Minutes "benin are not the owners of lagos”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsp9VLRFno
Link will take you to the video

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Rescue Abducted Students In Kaduna Without Paying Ransom – Tinubu Orders / Ighodalo Is Still Our Flagbearer, No Court Sacked Him - Edo PDP Chair, Aziegbem / IBB Releases Buhari's Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.