Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,166 members, 7,884,070 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 11:17 PM

Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? (4030 Views)

Naira: Tinubu Will Shock Currency Speculators – Tope Fasua / New Naira: Tinubu Didn’t Direct Govs To Disregard Buhari – APC PCC / Between Channel TV Host Chamberlain And Tinubu Spokesman Who Was Defending Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by Fujiyama: 8:25pm On Feb 02
mrvitalis:

The importers what infrastructure do they use now?

^^^
Not sure who you mean by importers?
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by mrvitalis(m): 9:36pm On Feb 02
Fujiyama:

^^^
Not sure who you mean by importers?
The goods we use today in Nigeria, what infrastructure do they use

Nigerian producers can use same infrastructure
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by Fujiyama: 9:43pm On Feb 02
mrvitalis:
The goods we use today in Nigeria, what infrastructure do they use

Nigerian producers can use same infrastructure

^^^
The infrastructure is non-existent or where it does exist, it is broken. This pushes up costs, retards growth and depresses productivity.

The point I'm trying to make is that sensible foreign borrowing to build infrastructure is a valid option to grow an economy and spur development. Your point is that it doesn't make sense to borrow to build infrastructure - and I'm saying the evidence doesn't support this.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by mrvitalis(m): 9:47pm On Feb 02
Fujiyama:

^^^
The infrastructure is non-existent or where it does exist, it is broken. This pushes up costs, retards growth and depresses productivity.

The point I'm trying to make is that sensible foreign borrowing to build infrastructure is a valid option to grow an economy and spur development. Your point is that it doesn't make sense to borrow to build infrastructure - and I'm saying the evidence doesn't support this.
What infrastructure are we using to import and distribute goods if the infrastructure is broken
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by Fujiyama: 9:48pm On Feb 02
mrvitalis:

What infrastructure are we using to import and distribute goods if the infrastructure is broken

^^^

Its in very poor shape. You know this. That's what I meant by broken.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by mrvitalis(m): 9:49pm On Feb 02
Fujiyama:

^^^

Its in very poor shape. You know this. That's what I meant by broken.
We can manage that still till we have industries we can tax to build them
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by Fujiyama: 10:04pm On Feb 02
mrvitalis:

We can manage that still till we have industries we can tax to build them

^^^
grin

Ok. We can agree to disagree.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by being(m): 3:42am On Feb 03
idealogical:

Rail system is worthless and has no economic potential?

The crazy things we read on this platform

grin
But he is quite correct! What he is saying is what infrastructure can help us to engage in production that is either import substitution or export production. Cos u borrowed $ for the railway... so what is the $ ROI. NOTE, It is NOT rail fares earned in naira converted to $ but $ opportunity cost. For instance, we can say the $19bn given(or sold)to dang refinery will yield billions of $ in savings every yr cos of import substitution (specifically refining). U could also say, d $ given (or sold) to BUA cement leads to $ revenue through export. If the govt invests bn$ in power for instance (with results), it leads to a lot more manufacturing of which some will be import sub and some export productn-- the $ values of these will be the $ ROI for the country, not even the taxes.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by Hedonisco: 5:53am On Feb 03
skj1377:
The 11billion spent to defend Naira went to private pockets .it was pure round tripping. Well let's see how it goes but I know the masses will suffer
Comments like this are provocative. Same thing as when they say "subsidy only benefits the rich". I don't understand what the hex you're saying.

The money spent to defend the Naira "went into private pockets", but yet Naira was N700 then, and now that the money has been removed from private pockets, Naira is about N1500. So is it better or not for Nigerians if "private pockets" keep pocketing that money, as long as the exchange rate remains relatively lower and stable? Make it make sense.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by malcom1X: 6:44am On Feb 03
ayokellany:
With you antagonist nature of anything APC one can clearly deduce following you advice is the biggest mistake any rational being can take

Following his advice is the best.

Lastly you can't avoid floating the naira, maybe next time Nigeria shouldn't borrow money from the IMF so that they won't be given conditions like this.

Floating the naira gives investors opportunities to invest because no one controls it but who will invest in a country where there is no security. Your business can flame up any day.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by malcom1X: 6:48am On Feb 03
sholay4star:
It's madness defending currency because it will never grow the economy, you float currency to boost economy, let water find it's level

If you had money will you invest in Nigeria?
Or in a country with a lot of security look at Ivory coast. Very peaceful, I can predict there won't be a war there for a long time.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by mrvitalis(m): 7:48am On Feb 03
Fujiyama:

^^^
grin

Ok. We can agree to disagree.
If I'm in government I would never borrow money to build infrastructure except it's very very very needed

Honestly I believe taxing Nigerians is the only way to unite Nigerians
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by Fujiyama: 3:40pm On Feb 03
mrvitalis:

If I'm in government I would never borrow money to build infrastructure except it's very very very needed

^^^
grin

There is an infrastructure deficit at the moment. Everyone agrees on this. Without fixing the power and transport infrastructure deficit, we have not started at all. It is very, very needed.

mrvitalis:
Honestly I believe taxing Nigerians is the only way to unite Nigerians

^^^
You are right.

But you can only successfully tax a person with an income...and you can only sustainably tax the formal sector. In this country right now, incomes are low and the majority of people operate in the informal sector - a notoriously difficult sector to tax successfully.

If you were in government you would face resistance if you tried to do that right now. People are poor and angry and they don't trust government one bit.
Re: Buhari was defending naira, Tinubu floats naira which is the best policy? by orisa37: 6:00pm On Feb 03
The first was a lie. The second is an error.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

State by state poverty indices in Nigeria / Ogun Launches Babangida Campaign Team ! / Lagos Govt To Stop Services With Tinubu’s Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.