Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,992 members, 7,973,422 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 04:21 PM

Obama Suggests 'digital Fingerprints' To Counter Misinformation - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Suggests 'digital Fingerprints' To Counter Misinformation (133 Views)

Russia Vs Ukraine: The Lies, Misinformation And Outright Propaganda (Fact Check) / UK, US And Australia Launch Pact To Counter China / Iraqi Protesters Bring Out Lions To Counter Police Dogs (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obama Suggests 'digital Fingerprints' To Counter Misinformation by Holiness2100: 10:44am On Jun 17, 2023
DIGITAL FINGERPRINTS: Obama suggests 'digital fingerprints' to counter misinformation 'so we know what's true and what's not true'

Former President Barack Obama suggested in a new interview the development of "digital fingerprints" to combat misinformation and distinguish between true and misleading news for consumers.

Obama sat down with his former White House senior adviser David Axelrod for a conversation on the latter's podcast, "The Axe Files," on CNN Audio.

During the interview, Axelrod noted he's seen "misinformation, disinformation, [and] deepfakes" targeting Obama.
"As I've told people, because I was the first digital president when I left office, I was probably the most recorded, filmed, photographed human in history, which is kind of a weird thing," responded Obama. "But just the odds are that I was. As a consequence, there's a lot of raw material there."

The former president added that the deepfakes — digitally manipulated images, audio or video that appear legitimate — started with a version of him dancing, "saying dirty limericks" and similar kinds of activity.

"That technology's here now," continued Obama, who warned about the issue getting worse moving forward. "So, most immediately we're going to have all the problems we had with misinformation before, [but] this next election cycle will be worse."

He then suggested "digital fingerprints" to discern truth from misinformation.
"And the need for us, for the general public, I think to be more discriminating consumers of news and information, the need for us to over time develop technologies to create watermarks or digital fingerprints so we know what is true and what is not true," he said.

"There's a whole bunch of work that's going to have to be done there, but in the short term, it's really going to be up to the American people to kind of say."

Obama and Axelrod went on to say that today many consumers are only viewing information from sources they are predisposed to agree with and will likely believe what they see.

"Obviously, we saw that during the vaccination stuff. So, I am concerned about it," added Obama, referring to the COVID vaccine. "And I think the best we're going to be able to do is to constantly remind people that this is out there."

Nlfpmod

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/obama-suggests-digital-fingerprints-counter-misinformation-we-know-whats-true-not-true

Re: Obama Suggests 'digital Fingerprints' To Counter Misinformation by Righteousness2(m): 10:56am On Jun 17, 2023
BIBLE PROPHECY IS PLAYING OUT BEFORE US, BUT MANY CANNOT SEE.

The world is being prepped for the beast system.
Don't be deceived! The people giving you solutions to the deceptions are the same people who put outrage deceptions.

We live in a very deceptive world. And the devil and his foot soldiers will make use of various forms of deceptions to deceive the world inhabitants into the beast system.

Get ready! Live ready ! Be ready! The coming of JESUS CHRIST is soooooo close.
This Ship is Sinking ! The live boat is JESUS CHRIST.

(1) (Reply)

Their Plan All Along / Ugandans Sue Totalenergies Over Alleged Human Rights Violations / Kingsley Emu: Technocrat Versed In Policy And Economics By Toni Kan Onwordi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.