Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,314 members, 7,881,151 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:30 PM

Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse (9861 Views)

Mob Killed And Burnt Barber In Abuja Over N10 (photo) / Woman Poisoned Cousin’s Fufu That She Wanted To Sell In Lagos / Calabar Boy Caught And Burnt To Death For Stealing (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by engrj(m): 7:42pm On Oct 03, 2011
Emotions were high at High Court Number 10, Maiduguri, Borno State, northeast Nigeria today when Rebecca Emmanuel who was accused of poisoning her 9-year old son, Ishaya Emmanuel sometime in 2008 was sentenced to death by hanging.Rebecca, mother of four who was earlier granted bail by the court and had consistently appeared at the court during her trial, could not get the sympathy of the trial judge Justice Pirogai Ngada who, while delivering her judgement said: “I agree that she has four children and has never absconded from bail but Section 221 of the law under which she is convicted is a mandatory provision of culpable homicide punishable by death. I wish I can temper justice with mercy. But I can’t because she is hereby sentenced to death by hanging.”

On 20 January, 2008 Rebecca Emmanuel lured her son, Ishaya Emmanuel to a bush where she gave him a Maltina drink laced with poison which led to Ishaya’s death after which the convict burnt the corpse.

In one of her confessional statements during the trial, Rebecca had said: “I went to my father’s house and picked my child. We got to a place where I got a poisonous substance at the sum of N20 and matches. I took him to a bush and laced the substance in a bottle of Maltina.

“I made him drink it. After 30 minutes, the boy died and I set him ablaze, so that no one could recognise him and I left for my husband’s house.”

Delivering the judgement, the judge said she was satisfied by the confessional statement made by the accused person.

P.M.NEWS learnt that Rebecca Emmanuel had Ishaya out of wedlock. He was aid to be the product of an illicit relationship between Rebecca and a military officer.
She must have killed the boy because of the trauma she passed in the hand of the unknown military man.

As the matter is, it is not clear whether the convict will appeal the judgement.

—Maduabuchi Nmeribeh/Maiduguri

Source http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/09/30/woman-to-die-by-hanging/
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by mukina2: 9:22am On Oct 04, 2011
shocked a mother poisoned and burnt the corpse of her child cry
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by ifyalways(f): 9:31am On Oct 04, 2011
IMO,the judgement serves her right.

She had options if she so hated the child(send him back to the dad,abandon him somewhere,abscond and leave him behind for the grandparents)
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Gbenge77(m): 3:20pm On Oct 04, 2011
Terrible.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by manny4life(m): 3:26pm On Oct 04, 2011
NOW, this is where I'm a strong proponent of DEATH PENALTY.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Texther(m): 3:29pm On Oct 04, 2011
When will WONDERS end?
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by http(m): 3:40pm On Oct 04, 2011
Thanks to my mother for bringing me up to what i am today, i thank you for not abandone me when i can't take care of myself let alone anyone.
I promise to take good care of you in any condition i found myself, i thank God for making you a good mother to her children, I love you Iya-Ijebu, may you live long and enjoy the fruit of your labour, amin cos i know you just started life @ 80 grin grin grin
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by violent(m): 3:44pm On Oct 04, 2011
Kill one person and you risk being sentenced to death by hanging.

Kill thousands of people, evade the laughable security apparatus of the government, kill hundreds of more people, threaten the President, blow up the Police headquarters, blow up the United Nations building,. . . .and you might still end up getting Amnesty plus other mouth watering offers for life!

. . . .and then you wonder where Justice truly lies!
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Kx: 3:46pm On Oct 04, 2011
violent:

Kill one person and you risk being sentenced to death by hanging.

Kill thousands of people, evade the laughable security apparatus of the government, kill hundreds of more people, threaten the President, blow up the Police headquarters, blow up the United Nations building,. . . .and you might still end up getting Amnesty plus other mouth watering offers for life!

. . . .and then you wonder where Justice truly lies!

Justice made in naija.
If only all their judgements were right all the time
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by baminasri(m): 3:47pm On Oct 04, 2011
she should have been sentenced to life in prison rather than the death penalty.

1 Like

Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by holluwizzy: 3:56pm On Oct 04, 2011
Only the poor can face judgement ,
what about the Military man that allowed the Boko Haram leaders who have killed many people escape , he was giving just 6 months in prison which i know that he wont spend 24hours in prison ,

Why can't the leaders change for the better and yet another bomb treat from the same caliba of people. undecided

Nigeria--Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria--Nigeria--Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria--Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria---Nigeria tongue

we need more answers than questions.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by LogicPower(m): 3:57pm On Oct 04, 2011
ifyalways: "IMO,the judgement serves her right.

She had options if she so hated the child(send him back to the dad,abandon him somewhere,abscond and leave him behind for the grandparents)
"

Excellent points!

She must have been fully aware of all these other options that you so well pointed out, each of which would have been far better than taking the life of the innocent boy.

But she decided to choose the most devilish and most abominable of all options, murdering the poor child!.

So I fully agree with you - she deserves to die, too!
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by MMM2(m): 4:20pm On Oct 04, 2011
bad newz
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by binigirl(f): 4:24pm On Oct 04, 2011
Na wa o! So tins lyk dis hapns? shocked
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by hbrednic: 4:27pm On Oct 04, 2011
what a wicked world?
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by dadicvila(m): 4:33pm On Oct 04, 2011
I see no reason why she shudnt be hanged, the kid was murdered in cold blood and to add salt to injury she still went ahead and burnt him,this is a premeditated act,she definately knew what she was doing, Death penalty not only serves as a deterrent to others it also serves as a way of pacifying the spirit of the deceased, she should be hanged jor
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by kulumo: 4:34pm On Oct 04, 2011
No woman in her rightful scence would do that to her child, am almost certain this woman has some psychological challenges. Also in a society like ours who take the responsibility for the remaining four children? or are they at the mercy of recruiting BH, i hope the judge will handle the other cases of BH in Maiduguri like this,but i trust the judge go fear fear, naija where the law only works for the weak.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by akinolasam: 4:46pm On Oct 04, 2011
I have just 3 things to say:

1. Good mother are not easily come by, if you have one, thank God for her.

2. In as much as she is guilty of death as pronounced, I think that the 'law' should consider the welfare and the trauma on the other children.

3. May it be known to all now that: LAWS ARE MADE FOR THE COMMON MAN IN NAIJA.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by moderatorr: 4:51pm On Oct 04, 2011
what a luvly mother!
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Taich(m): 4:52pm On Oct 04, 2011
Signs of end time
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Taich(m): 4:53pm On Oct 04, 2011
Signs of end time
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Welder(m): 5:17pm On Oct 04, 2011
I see nothing wrong with the judgement, the judges responsiblity is the case itself. . .whether her other children will be take care of is for the govt and her family to worry about. She should have thought of the welfare of her other kids before commiting this heinous crime.

Indeed, the end times are near! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Costa2000(m): 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2011
She may be sick in the head or on wrong pills,Who knows? we only see naked ppl on the street as mad ppl.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Natasha2(f): 5:32pm On Oct 04, 2011
omg I'm speechless
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by ifyalways(f): 5:57pm On Oct 04, 2011
At times I wonder if some of us are unwell .

Someone poisoned and burnt her son and folks on here are advocating she gets pardoned 'cos of the welfare and fate of the other kids.Beyond Ridiculous I say!

We'd actually want her to go back home and kill the other kids?Lawdhavemercy
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by maasoap(m): 6:00pm On Oct 04, 2011
I imagine the kind of horror that would have been seen on the innocent boy's face after taking the poison. I imagine the agonising pain during those 30 minutes with possibility of being restrained by the wicked mother.
@violent, you have choice now. You can decide to kill hundreds and get away with it (or even ends up collecting monthly allowee) or, kill your son and get death sentence. I wonder why anybody would be showing sympathy towards people that have no regards for the right of others to live. At least, this judgement is better than that of last week's execution of black American guy.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by r231(m): 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2011
Wicked woman
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by Rafaell(m): 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2011
Yeaaah, Taichi, d End Times are actuly here.
I hop 2do a thread on dat pretty soon.
, And it shall come 2 pass, dat whosever shall believe & call on d Name of d Lord shall be SAVED!Yeaaah, Taichi, d End Times are actuly here.
I hop 2do a thread on dat pretty soon.
, And it shall come 2 pass, dat whosever shall believe & call on d Name of d Lord shall be SAVED!
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by kemmeye: 7:23pm On Oct 04, 2011
suprise suprise. nothing is new in that nigeria
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by moshoodn(m): 8:08pm On Oct 04, 2011
Maybe she was blindfolded by some ethereal unseen diabolic forces.
Who knows? Anything, infact, everything happens in naija.
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by kokogee: 8:14pm On Oct 04, 2011
horror shocked
Re: Woman Poisoned Her 9 Year Old Son And Burnt His Corpse by BootyOnMe: 8:57pm On Oct 04, 2011
Please, she is only emulating her GOD, who nailed his own son to the cross to WASH away the sins of the world.
If God could do it. . . .why not Mrs. E-M-M-A?
I wonder what the other Christians of the world are waiting for. grin

Welcome to the religion of awon 'BLOOD OF THE LAMB'! wink

Psychos!

(1) (2) (Reply)

'My cousin taught me how to steal from shops' – 22-year old suspect / Owner Of Burnt Daycare Flees Us To Nigeria / (photos) Notorious “aye” Cult Leader, Oscar Arrested In Ijebu-ode, Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.