Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,577 members, 7,972,154 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 04:27 AM

Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? (2855 Views)

Whitehouse Meal: Is Peter Obi Wrong Or Right? / Oshiomole Is Not Smart - Obaseki Should Have Contested. / Why I Contested Against Omo-agege At The Eleventh Hour - Ekweremadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by Penguin2: 8:52pm On Jun 28, 2023
QuotaSystem:

Fortunately unlike easterners, northerners are not emotional, impulsive politicians that would support a weak candidate just to make a needless point. Why would we support a politician that can barely govern his constituency? Why would we tactlessly and unstrategically disturb the delicate North-South power rotation like GEJ did and jeopardize/destroy our political future? Again, we are not tactless easterners.

We wanted power to rotate to the South for the sake of one Nigeria and that stubborn fact wouldn’t change if you struck your head ceaselessly against a sharp rock cool

Yes and that’s why the North is enjoying the best representation under his government and haven’t uttered a whimper of dissatisfaction 🤡

Lol Shinedu wants to teach me Northern history. What do you know about Arewa? Lmao.

Have you EVER heard anyone from Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara, Kaduna, Niger, Bauchi, Gombe, Nasarawa or Adamawa protest the choice of Shetimma? cheesy

That is because, while such ethnic differences could be played up by desperate elements in governorship and other local political contests, there is complete cultural and political unity of purpose among far Northerners in national politics cool

Not just Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri, which are the biggest groups. You can add the Nupe and a hundred other Northern ethnic groups in this united view of national politics. Furthermore, they are all subjects of, and pay allegiance to the Sultan of Sokoto.

Let me further enlighten you that thirty short years ago, the Abiola/Kingibe ticket recorded resounding political success in Hausa/Fulani heartland, including a big win in its heart of hearts, Kano. Ambassador Babagana Kingibe, like Kashim Shettima, is ethnic Kanuri while Asiwaju Tinubu, like M.K.O. Abiola, is ethnic Yoruba. No one in the North protested Kingibe’s appearance on the ticket then; no one is protesting Shettima’s place on the APC ticket now, certainly not on ethnic grounds. Up until 2019, Shettima was in fact Chairman of the Northern States Governors Forum, and he did a swell job of it.

P.S Mind you if Fulani is really your problem, then you have a major headache loading . Remember the powers of Shetimma as VP are actually less than someone like the NSA, a position held by Fulani Ribadu

Suck on that cheesy

Lol! Anything to comfort yourself.

But hey, Nuhu Ribadu is not Fulani. Even if he is, being from Adamawa, he is a bit distant from the hegemonistic disposition of Northwest Fulanis who are still interested in expanding Usman Dan Fodio’s Jihad. Ribadu on the other hand is refined and does not possess such anachronistic and regressive mentality.

You can see that Tinubu is strategical in shutting out Fulanis from sensitive positions in his government.

Buhari is the last Fulani that would have his kind mentality that would ascend to power in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by QuotaSystem: 9:05pm On Jun 28, 2023
Penguin2:

Lol! Anything to comfort yourself.

But hey, Nuhu Ribadu is not Fulani. Even if he is, being from Adamawa, he is a bit distant from the hegemonistic disposition of Northwest Fulanis who are still interested in expanding Usman Dan Fodio’s Jihad. Ribadu on the other hand is refined and does not possess such anachronistic and regressive mentality.

You can see that Tinubu is strategical in shutting out Fulanis from sensitive positions in his government.

Buhari is the last Fulani that would have his kind mentality that would ascend to power in Nigeria.

Lmao…”Ribadu is not Fulani…but even if he is” 🤡

Your divide and rule is dead on arrival. Arewa remains united and politically formidable (all 100+ ethnic groups) as we have always been cool

If anyone needs comforting, it is Ibo’s that have lost out totally from the Nigeria power equation and have just begun a 16-year journey of irrelevance in the political wilderness.

And you especially, that has finally accepted that your mediocre Peteru is never coming close to Aso Rock, despite your weak, handicapped & delusional pre-election permutations.

Pele.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by Kukutenla: 9:09pm On Jun 28, 2023
Penguin2:

Well, I’m not trying to be a Boethius who took solace in Consolation Philosophy in the midst of adversity. I’d say I’m just looking out for southern Nigeria and I want the northern stranglehold on a lot of things in this country disentangled.

About the north and southwest having found a winning strategy or alliance…. Well goodluck to them with that.

But that’s what I tried to address in this piece - that had Obi not decamped from PDP, that their useless alliance would have been defeated. And I would really like to see Tinubu grandstanding or misbehaving because he feels he has a northern and southwestern alliance. If SE/SS aligns with the north in 2027, that’s game over for him.

But that's the same thing the APC are laughing at you for. What APC has shown is a tendency to feel they have the winning formula and thus have no need for anything else.
His supporters and the northern group are already engaging in triumpalism instead of looking to unite the country. They seem to revel in a fractured south.
It is important to realize that the mood in APC presently is not one of uniting the south but rather consolidating on the so-called existing alliance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by wegevv: 12:05am On Jun 29, 2023
Grayoso:

Nice post plus objective and fair observations. Love your conclusion as well. The part in bold, in your post, is very important to me personally.

This ia because, as I have always argued, Nigeria needs to evolve urgently like the West so that a powerfully responsible governance system is in place no one can hijack partisanly and as dangerously unchecked as Buhari did.

We could have experienced free-for-all Rwanda-style genocide with how Buhari was leading if not that Nigeria is the biggest black nation on Earth that would mean world intervention would be swift to prevent refugee crisis, humanitarian strife, proliferation of diseases etc.

I personally think there should be more anger against what Buhari and his cabal did, and more determination against a future repeat of it, than the singular focus of many Nigerians to dwell on who "brought Buhari" or supported him to power.

We now must charge Tinubu to deliver robust legislative laws, appropriate contitutional amendments, greater state and regional autonomy and strong institutional autonomy, plus legally-enforceable checks and balances, that will mean a Buhari will never happen to us again.

Buhari owed many Fulanis, who did not know better, Awolowo-type 'teach a man to fish' leadership.

Instead he chose to provide protection for deficiencies any wise leader would know he must eradicate from his people as Awolowo determined to provide free and quality education as a way to elevate and emancipate Yorubas forever.

Nigeria should heal and no one, from any ethnic group , should be prevented from being Presidenf in future.

The focus should be on working to deliver strong reforms that must mean a Hitler-type bigot, if he somehow fools enough Nigerians to get the vote to become President, cannot partisanly destroy the security, socio-economic wellbeing and even monetary integrity of Nigeria in pursuit of an ethnocentric or sectional agenda.

No UK Prime Minister today can tacitly, using the police and army, empower caucasians to run through minority-dominated areas killing, raping, pllillaging and maiming folks there.

That PM would not last even an hour in office. Yer Buhari did it for years and the entire Nigeria kept slient, tolerated it and even accepted it as a way of life.

That is what we have to change so we can become like Nations with strong laws and institutions. I would consider Tinubu failed if he does not deliver this.

ObJ, Yar Adua, GEJ ans Buhari have their fans and praise-singers for some good they did but the only President Nigerians can/should praise as successful would be one who evolutionarily reforms Nigeria so, for example, savagery and brutality are a thing of the past because State/regional policing exist rather than leaders (OBJ and GEJ) who will declare "Nigeria not ripe for State policiing" or those (like Buhari) who will not even indulge the idea let alone be open to discussing it.

Thank you, it's good to have a good faith discussion on here for a change lol. And I find myself agreeing with most of what you wrote again.

Politics is not a polite sport most of the time so of course Tinubu's opposition is going to point out that he masterminded the party that brought Buhari into power. Could he have foreseen the disastrous administration? You could argue both ways.

I'm with you that most of the anger needs to be directed at Buhari and his cabal. I'm extremely passionate about this because I still know seemingly reasonable people that have a soft spot for him despite the overwhelming evidence of his failures. Many people take politics as a religion unfortunately and won't ever change their mind on anything (the ones I know supported him pre 2015 election) but will rationalise incompetence. We can't let anyone ever rewrite history about the type of president Buhari was and what he did to the country before we get round 2.

PBAT has a hell of a job on his hands. I'm not even asking for as much as you. If he can fix the economy, restore security and govern the country properly with competent and well qualified people in key areas he would have done well.

Improving our legislation and institutions as well as attaining true federalism would be excellent. These things are only as strong as the people enforcing them so no small feat and if the northern elites are against it then even harder.

Part of the reason the UK PM wouldn't last an hour is because most of the general population wouldn't put up with it (helps that the media is strong and will report it accurately). That causes a chain reaction upwards. Unfortunately we still tend to worship our leaders and political parties in Nigeria rather than seeing them as our servants.

All our presidents have had their flaws but Buhari in particular was an absolute disgrace.
Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by JagabanBorgu: 1:28pm On Jun 29, 2023
wegevv:

I don't know what is making you this way but e go better

I love you bro ❤️
I never said I hàté u, I doñ't hate people.
Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2023
wegevv:

Thank you, it's good to have a good faith discussion on here for a change lol. And I find myself agreeing with most of what you wrote again.

Politics is not a polite sport most of the time so of course Tinubu's opposition is going to point out that he masterminded the party that brought Buhari into power. Could he have foreseen the disastrous administration? You could argue both ways.

I'm with you that most of the anger needs to be directed at Buhari and his cabal. I'm extremely passionate about this because I still know seemingly reasonable people that have a soft spot for him despite the overwhelming evidence of his failures. Many people take politics as a religion unfortunately and won't ever change their mind on anything (the ones I know supported him pre 2015 election) but will rationalise incompetence. We can't let anyone ever rewrite history about the type of president Buhari was and what he did to the country before we get round 2.

PBAT has a hell of a job on his hands. I'm not even asking for as much as you. If he can fix the economy, restore security and govern the country properly with competent and well qualified people in key areas he would have done well.

Improving our legislation and institutions as well as attaining true federalism would be excellent. These things are only as strong as the people enforcing them so no small feat and if the northern elites are against it then even harder.

Part of the reason the UK PM wouldn't last an hour is because most of the general population wouldn't put up with it (helps that the media is strong and will report it accurately). That causes a chain reaction upwards. Unfortunately we still tend to worship our leaders and political parties in Nigeria rather than seeing them as our servants.

All our presidents have had their flaws but Buhari in particular was an absolute disgrace.

Indeed. I personally predicted last year that the anger and vitriol against Buhari, once people could speak freely after he has departed as President, would be huge.

My anger is against Nigerians as well. Reactionary rather than proactive. I can look at myself in the mirror proudly because I started condemning Buhari strongly when he gave savage Fulani herdsmen militia the latitude to be murdering, raping and displacing Southerners from their homes and land.

Iskilu Wakili, or whatever his name is, became a legend terrorising Yoruba land with the 'oga at the top' protection Buhari gave Fulanis.

I appreciate what you said as well about reasonable people who still have a soft spot for Buhari but I resent them as cowards in the mould of "evil thrive when good men do nothing ".

They are even my fellow Yorubas who make noise and famz Tinubu today but , when it was time to ensure a strong southerner emerged to put an end to the atrocity Buhari led, they fled. They abandoned Tinubu.

I will always remember a thread on NL where all poster, Northerners and Southerners, rushed in to say Tinubu was done for disrespecting Buhari, after that Abeokuta fighting talk of Jagaban against the Machiavellian ingratitude of PMB, and that BAT would never get the APC ticket.

A lot of Tinubu fans, in the "O ye of little faith" camp, fled and hid. Some ,and I won't mention them, talking nonstop today as Tinubu champions even said Tinubu fcked up.

It was only me and another guy, can't remember his handle, who defiantly insisted Buhari, his cabal and the North are nothing. Fck them !!! They are not the boss of Tinubu, the South and the Middle belt.

The point is that Nigerians are cowards and weaklings. Very few are brave or sacrificially defiant. A Buhari will happen again unless we insist Tinubu creates a system where a patently cowardly, divided and unfocused people cannot ever be abused again as Buhari and his crew did.

That is why I appreciate your talk below. Solid gold. To me Fuel subsidy removal, naira singular parity etal are still "give a man fish' issues. The most transformational "teach a man to fish" reform are what is in bold below because they are what will make all Nigerians equal, able to protect themselves and their property optimally from marauders and be meritoriously advantaged to be the best they can be plus get the best out of their talent and land without hindrance from anything or anyone.

As a personal experience, my gun licence application, to get a pump action weapon, is pending. I am well-educated, psychologically stable , a business owner, an employer of Nigerian Labour, productive and accountable with certified address and history.

Yet barbaric nomads from Mali and Sudan are roaming around Nigeria with prohibited AK47 assault rifles openly as cattle herders. What kind of Country is that? This type of status quo is what we must all bravely and uncompromisingly fight to change .

Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by mediareal(m): 1:32pm On Jun 30, 2023
It's well
Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by Penguin2: 1:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
Grayoso:

Indeed. I personally predicted last year that the anger and vitriol against Buhari, once people could speak freely after he has departed as President, would be huge.

My anger is against Nigerians as well. Reactionary rather than proactive. I can look at myself in the mirror proudly because I started condemning Buhari strongly when he gave savage Fulani herdsmen militia the latitude to be murdering, raping and displacing Southerners from their homes and land.

Iskilu Wakili, or whatever his name is, became a legend terrorising Yoruba land with the 'oga at the top' protection Buhari gave Fulanis.

I appreciate what you said as well about reasonable people who still have a soft spot for Buhari but I resent them as cowards in the mould of "evil thrive when good men do nothing ".

They are even my fellow Yorubas who make noise and famz Tinubu today but , when it was time to ensure a strong southerner emerged to put an end to the atrocity Buhari led, they fled. They abandoned Tinubu.

I will always remember a thread on NL where all poster, Northerners and Southerners, rushed in to say Tinubu was done for disrespecting Buhari, after that Abeokuta fighting talk of Jagaban against the Machiavellian ingratitude of PMB, and that BAT would never get the APC ticket.

A lot of Tinubu fans, in the "O ye of little faith" camp, fled and hid. Some ,and I won't mention them, talking nonstop today as Tinubu champions even said Tinubu fcked up.

It was only me and another guy, can't remember his handle, who defiantly insisted Buhari, his cabal and the North are nothing. Fck them !!! They are not the boss of Tinubu, the South and the Middle belt.

The point is that Nigerians are cowards and weaklings. Very few are brave or sacrificially defiant. A Buhari will happen again unless we insist Tinubu creates a system where a patently cowardly, divided and unfocused people cannot ever be abused again as Buhari and his crew did.

That is why I appreciate your talk below. Solid gold. To me Fuel subsidy removal, naira singular parity etal are still "give a man fish' issues. The most transformational "teach a man to fish" reform are what is in bold below because they are what will make all Nigerians equal, able to protect themselves and their property optimally from marauders and be meritoriously advantaged to be the best they can be plus get the best out of their talent and land without hindrance from anything or anyone.

As a personal experience, my gun licence application, to get a pump action weapon, is pending. I am well-educated, psychologically stable , a business owner, an employer of Nigerian Labour, productive and accountable with certified address and history.

Yet barbaric nomads from Mali and Sudan are roaming around Nigeria with prohibited AK47 assault rifles openly as cattle herders. What kind of Country is that? This type of status quo is what we must all bravely and uncompromisingly fight to change .

Good to see you guys still having intelligent conversation here.

This is what Nairaland should be. A melting pot of ideas. A place where Nigerians of all creed and divide can come together to lay their ideas and points and intelligently examine those points and ideas. But unfortunately it has been turned into a ring for tribal battles with each tribe trying to make sure the other tribe doesn’t win whether it makes sense or not.

Meanwhile, I still insist that Tinubu is not the best that the South had to offer in the last election and he didn’t win.
Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by Penguin2: 1:58pm On Jun 30, 2023
QuotaSystem:

Lmao…”Ribadu is not Fulani…but even if he is” 🤡

Your divide and rule is dead on arrival. Arewa remains united and politically formidable (all 100+ ethnic groups) as we have always been cool

If anyone needs comforting, it is Ibo’s that have lost out totally from the Nigeria power equation and have just begun a 16-year journey of irrelevance in the political wilderness.

And you especially, that has finally accepted that your mediocre Peteru is never coming close to Aso Rock, despite your weak, handicapped & delusional pre-election permutations.

Pele.
Lol!

I should laugh at you rather because the Usman Dan Fodio Jihad that your fathers so much wanted to continue fighting and which Buhari resurrected is about to be crushed forever.

Very soon, no Fulani will kill an Plateau or Benue indigene without being led to the slaughter. Fulani expansionism has ended forever and never to resurrected.

That’s why the even the CDS from the north is Christian.

All the things your fathers have held down since the 1960s will finally be taken from your clutches and it’s never coming back.
Re: Was Peter Obi Wrong To Have Contested The 2023 Presidential Election? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 30, 2023
Penguin2:

Good to see you guys still having intelligent conversation here.

This is what Nairaland should be. A melting pot of ideas. A place where Nigerians of all creed and divide can come together to lay their ideas and points and intelligently examine those points and ideas. But unfortunately it has been turned into a ring for tribal battles with each tribe trying to make sure the other tribe doesn’t win whether it makes sense or not.

Meanwhile, I still insist that Tinubu is not the best that the South had to offer in the last election and he didn’t win.

Okay. I can respect this, since we can not all think the same, and you have surprised me with your recent post that makes it appear perhaps I have judged some posters harshly and wrongly.

Best wishes to you. I think it is time to go. My good friends and brothers, Dsalvo, Onetemplate, Oshigun, have already deactivated and left. cool

Adieu. God bless Nigeria and Nigerians. I am out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

“Bola Tinubu” In Aso Rock Never Attended Govt College, Lagos(pics) / Baba Please Don't Let This Rage On Social Media Get To The Street / Does America Earn The Right To Police The World? Is it a Divine Duty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.