Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,049 members, 7,963,402 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 11:18 AM

10 Most Courageous War Heroes Of World War I - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 10 Most Courageous War Heroes Of World War I (462 Views)

Remember The Cult War I Told U To Run Yesterday See The Dead Bodies - PHOTOS / 10 Most Wanted People Hiding From Nigeria’s Security Agencies (Photos) / Heroes Filling Station Akure Director Orders Thugs To Beat A Policeman (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Courageous War Heroes Of World War I by Tgnnews247: 4:08pm On Jul 06, 2023
The First World War was one of the deadliest global conflicts in history. The war which was a struggle for international domination between the Allies and the Central Powers, took the lives of 9 Million soldiers, with another 23 million wounded. 5 million civilians died due to military action, hunger, and disease. Millions more died as a result of genocide. However, amidst this massive tragedy are individuals who through courage and determination have been able to display heroic action. Without any further ado here are 10 War Heroes of World War I, you should know about.

1. Edith Cavell
Edith Cavell was a British nurse who helped 200 Allied soldiers escape from German-occupied Belgium during the war. She was also celebrated for saving the lives of soldiers from both sides without discrimination. Her assistance to the 200 Allied soldiers led to her arrest. She was accused of treason, found guilty by a court-martial, and sentenced to death. Despite international pressure for mercy, she was shot by a German firing squad. Her execution received worldwide condemnation, turning global opinion against Germany. Her exemplary actions put her on top of our list of the Heroes of World War I

2. Jack Cornwell
Jack Cornwell is a Naval Officer in the United Kingdom’s Royal Navy. He gained prominence for his gallantry at the Battle of Jutland during World War I. In the battle, All of Jack’s crew were killed or badly wounded after being attacked by four German ships. Only Jack was left standing. Although he was in pain and was still being attacked he stayed by his gun waiting for orders. He died a few days later from the injuries of the battle at the age of only 16. Jack was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.
READ MORE : https://tgnnews247.com/10-heroes-of-world-war-i/
Re: 10 Most Courageous War Heroes Of World War I by mysticwarrior(m): 8:13am On Jul 07, 2023
Interesting, but next time I suggest you post this on the foreign affairs section.

(1) (Reply)

Police Chase Youth, Bundle Them Like Criminals Into Their Vehicle In Delta (vid) / 20 Dead As Rival Cult Groups Clash In Ogun / POLICE Declares Benjamin Best Nanyereugo Wanted For Alleged Murder Of Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.