Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,151 members, 7,887,343 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:06 AM

Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? (9091 Views)

How To Buy Things On Aliexpress From Nigeria - A Step-by-step Guide / Nigerian Traders In Ghana Turn Beggars Over Locked Up Shops – NUTAG / Nigerian Traders' Shops Closed In Ghana As They Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by ojonugba2014(m): 2:49pm On Jul 10, 2023
If u want your business to collapse start giving out things on credit to Nigerian.

I am talking from my own personal experience.

A debtor that is owing me ordinary 48k can not pay,yet , recently he bought Samsung Galaxy S10plus,

I was going through his newly bought phone when alert of 14k came in. His total balance on that day was 426k.

As for me, since this issue of no cash happened.i have learnt it in a big way,that 99% 0f Nigerian are people u shouldn't pity or help or borrow them money because las las u go don turn bad person

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by otomatic(m): 2:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
thesilentman:
My father told me that when he was a shop-keeper in Jos in the 70s,they used to have the credit and the cash department.You could walk into many stores at any given time and buy things on credit and the shop-keepers would sell to you with the same enthusiasm as with cash buyers.
Nigerians don't take credit purchases on a friendly note.Most shops have signs that says "No credit today,come tomorrow!".Whereas credit is normal thing elsewhere.This issue is even particular to yoruba people who says that they have not had their first sale and it's rather too early in the morning.
Is it our economy system?
PS: I don't buy things on credit o.Just my observation.

Nigerians don't like paying their debt. They will be friendly while collecting the things on credit but when it's time to pay back, the seller will see war
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by AndroidAI(m): 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
segaloo:
help me sir I'm sick and have nothing to eat

Beggar. Well done tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by freenature: 2:57pm On Jul 10, 2023
thesilentman:
My father told me that when he was a shop-keeper in Jos in the 70s,they used to have the credit and the cash department.You could walk into many stores at any given time and buy things on credit and the shop-keepers would sell to you with the same enthusiasm as with cash buyers.
Nigerians don't take credit purchases on a friendly note.Most shops have signs that says "No credit today,come tomorrow!".Whereas credit is normal thing elsewhere.This issue is even particular to yoruba people who says that they have not had their first sale and it's rather too early in the morning.

Today credit kills business. People ain't honest like it was in the 70's&80s
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Swissli(f): 3:04pm On Jul 10, 2023
Open Your Shop And Sell Things On Credit To Nigerians And Come And Give Me Report
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Adewale1603(m): 3:16pm On Jul 10, 2023
jmoore:
They give credit but you have to come tomorrow to benefit from the credit.

and there will be tomorrow again after tomorrow. Tomorrow will never finish. So it simply means no credit.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by id4sho(m): 3:17pm On Jul 10, 2023
thesilentman:
When you open your personal business, you can start giving on credit. Don't forget to come back and open another thread here cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Pootle: 3:28pm On Jul 10, 2023
weytin u type no mak sense, u wan buy credit and you dey laugh like a fool who just won a lottry, will the seller be willing to grant it undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 3:46pm On Jul 10, 2023
Integrity issue. Most Nigerians don't pay debts.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Foodqueen(f): 3:49pm On Jul 10, 2023
Depsui:

The Yoruba's have a provide that describes what you wrote. "San laarin, aje ni n muni pekoro"

I don't know the meaning of what u wrote o
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Mrbenny001: 3:59pm On Jul 10, 2023
They start buying from somewhere else so to avoid paying the debt
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Depsui(m): 4:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
Foodqueen:

I don't know the meaning of what u wrote o

I wish I could send a voice note, you must have heard the proverb before. I meant proverb not provide.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Olam09(m): 5:06pm On Jul 10, 2023
thesilentman:

I hate people who buy credit from me.. i personally have this dislike for them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by NnamdiN: 5:32pm On Jul 10, 2023
I'll sell my land to buy goods from China, pay them cash, pay shipping and customs clearing to come and sell to you on credit? Lol
Why you no go neet chinese to give you the goods on credit grin
My dad taught me that the day you give credit that day you've lost that customer cheesy
E no go near your shop again.
I'd rather have the goods in my warehouse than lose it on the promise of I go pay later.
If your money no complete, go and save up grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by achimendy(m): 6:04pm On Jul 10, 2023
Foodqueen:
To buy credit is easy, to pay back is a big problem to so many people.

When u sell credit to people that u will normally see everyday, they will change their route, and u won't get to see them again till u go to their house or jam them on the road.

I can't give example, my eye don see shege.

Hahahahahahahaha
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Calitoscassius(m): 6:35pm On Jul 10, 2023
Why da fork would you wanna buy things on credit or ask for credit?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by naijapikin2(m): 6:43pm On Jul 10, 2023
The same reason why they smile when you pay cash
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by sammy2007: 6:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
I may disagree on this, because why growing up my mum used to sell yam wholesale, there is this Hausa man that bought about 300 tubers of yam from my mum on credit, he sold the yam and ran away to the north

uche393:
this is where trust Muslim(Hausa) most, they avoid credit but if it must be credit... he'll surely pay.
apart from them others can't be trusted with credit, Nigerians love free things anything they don't pay for instantly will be hard to pay later especially where there is no written agreement and collateral.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Emdebby2: 8:01pm On Jul 10, 2023
People are hard to please. Give them something on credit, tomorrow you become their enemy. Same thing goes with giving them loan. To receive money is easy but to pay back is difficult.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Goldbw122(m): 8:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
When you give credit and keep going like that you won't go far... That will weigh down your progress..
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2023
thesilentman:
Credit is based on trust but sadly... No trust in these Treets

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by nick50(m): 4:53am On Jul 11, 2023
Giving people goods or working for people on credit is like driving ur customers away..once they owe u they will never patronise ur shop again especially yoruba people
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Olodo24: 8:23am On Jul 11, 2023
Because we don't pay debt in this country. Credit sales hardly ends well
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by ThatKING(m): 10:43am On Jul 13, 2023
snowland:
Haa. I've learnt my lesson about lending to Nigerians. The people I called friends are the ones that are owing me. One is $3k and one is $1k. It's been over a year now and it's been one from one story to the other. They one wey I borrow $1k dey naija dey build him house. The one of $3k dey US but had businesses in naija.

Best is to call them and appeal to them to pay you gradually. That they shouldn't wait to pay back in bulk.
You may need to result to constant calls and subtle threats...
Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by dominique(f): 1:20pm On Jul 13, 2023
Nigerians and abuse of privilege are like conjoined twins. Sell to them on credit today, they'll come back buying on credit tomorrow and the day after. They will accumulate debts but when they're asked to pay, they will take offense. Some will pay in ridiculous instalments that will ruin both capital and profit of the business. An hairdresser in my area recently told me that the first thing she asks those that want to make their hair is if they brought money. If they start spinning stories, she tells them to go elsewhere or come back when they're with money. She'd rather sit idle than work on credit because of the premium shege she has seen in the hands of these wicked debtors. Those selling foodstuffs and edibles have had it worst with them debtors. To collect on credit is sweet, but to pay back na war! One even almost physically assaulted a seller that sold bread to her for daring to ask for money after over a week right before my eyes. So many instances have made to realize that selling to Nigerians on credit is at your own risk.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Traders Frown When You Want To Buy Things On Credit? by Joeblaze26(m): 2:15pm On Sep 21, 2023
snowland:
Haa. I've learnt my lesson about lending to Nigerians. The people I called friends are the ones that are owing me. One is $3k and one is $1k. It's been over a year now and it's been one from one story to the other. They one wey I borrow $1k dey naija dey build him house. The one of $3k dey US but had businesses in naija.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Convert Airtime To Cash?? / 100% Virtual Football League To Its Very Best / Naira Rises To N389/$ As Banks Buy 29% Of Cbn’s Dollar Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.