Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,812 members, 7,945,564 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 08:01 PM

UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary (388 Views)

US funding for weapons, economic aid to Ukraine runs out this year - White House / Hoax Caller Claiming To Be Ukrainian PM Got Through To UK Defence Secretary / Trump Fires Defence Secretary, Mark Esper, Appoints Miller In Acting Capacity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by Prigozhin: 6:46pm On Jul 12, 2023
The UK is not an "Amazon" delivery service for weapons to Ukraine and Kyiv might be wise to let its supporters "see gratitude", Britain's defence secretary has said.

In a blunt intervention, Ben Wallace said his "counsel" to the Ukrainians was to keep in mind that they need to persuade some doubting politicians in Washington and other capitals that the tens of billions of pounds they are spending on military aid to their country for its war with Russia is worthwhile.

He was responding to a question from Sky News about whether the failure of allies to give President Volodymyr Zelenskyy a timeframe for NATO membership at a major summit this week would undermine the morale of his troops on the frontline.

Mr Zelenskyy later told Sky News that he was confused by what the defence secretary said, adding that "we were always grateful".

"I didn't know what he meant and how else I should express my words of gratitude," the Ukrainian president said.

He jokingly added: "We could get up in the morning and express our words of gratitude personally to the minister. We are grateful to the UK."

Mr Wallace earlier told Sky News that he did not believe Ukrainian troops' morale would be affected by NATO splits, before describing how Ukraine is always asking for more even after receiving the latest batch of arms.

"There is a slight word of caution here, which is that whether we like it or not people want to see gratitude," Mr Wallace said in a briefing to journalists on the sidelines of the two-day NATO summit in the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius.

'Whether we like it or not people want to see gratitude', said Mr Wallace

"My counsel to the Ukrainians is sometimes you're persuading countries to give up their own stocks [of weapons] and yes the war is a noble war and yes we see it as you doing a war for - not just yourself - but our freedoms.

"But sometimes you've got to persuade lawmakers on the Hill in America, you've got to persuade doubting politicians in other countries that you know that it's worth it and it's worthwhile and that they're getting something for it.

"And whether you like that or not, that is just the reality of it."

Mr Wallace said you sometimes hear "grumbles" from American politicians - not the administration - about support to Ukraine that "we've given $83bn worth or whatever [and] you know, we're not Amazon."

The defence secretary said he too had told the Ukrainians in June last year that the UK was not the online delivery service when it came to supplying arms.

"I said to the Ukrainians last year, when I drove 11 hours to [Kyiv to] be given a list - I said, I am not Amazon."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-not-an-amazon-delivery-service-for-weapons-to-ukraine-says-defence-secretary-ben-wallace-12919765

Nlfpmod

Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by Prigozhin: 6:48pm On Jul 12, 2023
One Ukraine backer is getting tired. UK is getting tired of sending weapons. Do they need any gratitude from Ukrainians I think they want to destroy Russia. They should continue sending the weapons why do they need gratitude. Even Zelensky said they always show gratitude. It is evident that UK is getting weary and more countries will get tired.

3 Likes

Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by Kingsnairaland(m): 10:51pm On Jul 12, 2023
Can we now say that Russia is the strongest superpower? No single NATO country can take on 31 other countries and is still winning. Cluster bomb have a life span of two weeks and we will start hearing another name tagged as a "game changer weapon"

2 Likes

Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by Kazim88: 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2023
Infact UK and the west should show Ukrainians some Gratitude for fight Russia on their behalf.

UK did not helped Ukraine by sending them weapons.
Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by seunny4lif(m): 1:37am On Jul 13, 2023
A FRAUGHT MEETING IN VILNIUS

Despite Biden’s best efforts to put a happy face on it, Vilnius will be remembered as the NATO Summit where tensions boiled over.
Zelensky denounced the Alliance’s admission policy as “absurd” and disrespectful. UK Secretary of Defense Ben Wallace chastised Zelensky for ingratitude. Lindsey Graham attacked the Biden administration for weakness. Ben Hodges criticized Jake Sullivan for lack of “strategic bravery.” Even NAFO mascot Adam Kinzinger no longer appears to be a “fella.”

The optics were even harsher than the words, with the NATO elites turning their backs on a frustrated Zelensky.
Biden’s assurance that Zelensky is “stuck” with the U.S. may come as cold comfort to both nations now that the Ukrainian counteroffensive has failed to meet expectations, huge amounts of expensive Western armor lay in ruins smoldering on the battlefield, Ukrainian casualties are horrific, and the U.S. has run out of 155mm artillery shells to give, forcing America to debase itself by sending cluster bombs.

The war effort is increasingly a shambles and the War Party is starting to turn on each other.

1 Like

Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by seunny4lif(m): 1:47am On Jul 13, 2023
Kazim88:
Infact UK and the west should show Ukrainians some Gratitude for fight Russia on their behalf.

UK did not helped Ukraine by sending them weapons.

After Russia started destroying German best tanks, the German foreign minister and even chief of staff said, it’s no more German tanks and one the reason USA suddenly stopped plan of sending Abrams tanks to Ukraine after Russia captured a Leo tank.
USA military made millions from weapon sales and if those weapons got to Russia then it’s going straight to Iran and China for free copies.

So called best tanks are burning.

German best defence system which costed over 100M dollars supplied to Ukraine was destroyed by Russia lancet drone which cost only 20K dollars and the fact that it’s was the latest system.
It’s cost massive embarrassment for German defence ministry.

Turkey drones have also failed in Russia-Ukraine war after does drones were used successfully in Syria, Iraq, Libya and Azeri-Armenia war. Russia anti-drones system worked well against them, that affected Turkey drone company.

If USA biggest allies in ME, can sit on the fence for the first in years then you know we are already in Multipolar world.

But when will Africa leaders wake up because to me, they are still sleeping as we depend too much on foreigners on everything especially Nigeria and Western Africa nations.
We can’t even afford to do things well.

This war shows how double standard USA is as a nation.
It’s a bad bomb if it’s not the USA or allies bombing a nation but it’s good bomb if the USA or her allies bombing a nation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by obedience4(m): 8:37am On Jul 13, 2023
seunny4lif:

After Russia started destroying German best tanks, the German foreign minister and even chief of staff said, it’s no more German tanks and one the reason USA suddenly stopped plan of sending Abrams tanks to Ukraine after Russia captured a Leo tank.
USA military made millions from weapon sales and if those weapons got to Russia then it’s going straight to Iran and China for free copies.

So called best tanks are burning.

German best defence system which costed over 100M dollars supplied to Ukraine was destroyed by Russia lancet drone which cost only 20K dollars and the fact that it’s was the latest system.
It’s cost massive embarrassment for German defence ministry.

Turkey drones have also failed in Russia-Ukraine war after does drones were used successfully in Syria, Iraq, Libya and Azeri-Armenia war. Russia anti-drones system worked well against them, that affected Turkey drone company.

If USA biggest allies in ME, can sit on the fence for the first in years then you know we are already in Multipolar world.

But when will Africa leaders wake up because to me, they are still sleeping as we depend too much on foreigners on everything especially Nigeria and Western Africa nations.
We can’t even afford to do things well.

This war shows how double standard USA is as a nation.
It’s a bad bomb if it’s not the USA or allies bombing a nation but it’s good bomb if the USA or her allies bombing a nation.

Are you wrote are mere speculation nothing to back your outrageous claims.
The turkey bayatar drones that were destroying Russian tanks for fun when they attack keiv, Turkey's drones that have successfully conducted operations deep inside Moscow, yet you claim they are not successful.

Show me a quote were the USA military command said they were not planning to give Ukraine tanks,
Just one link sir,?, you think weapons are just throw into battle the Ukrainian will have to train on it first.

I see you quoting prices on weapons, you forget when the USA made cheap javelins were knocking off Russians T armanda tanks Worth's billions of rubles.

I will like to see when the Germany chief of staff said they weren't sending tanks ti Ukraine because of its loses In the battle field.

Please list the USA Middle East allies sitting on the fence, I guess you will say Arabia. The suadi kingdom is still the USA military biggest customers of weapons, till date, they are over 25k USA military troops in Arabia
The USA Air Force operates the largest forgien military airbase in the Middle East the king afahid airbase In Arabia, or is it isreal? Or Egypt??

1 Like

Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by Emma15678: 5:17pm On Jul 15, 2023
obedience4:

Are you wrote are mere speculation nothing to back your outrageous claims.
The turkey bayatar drones that were destroying Russian tanks for fun when they attack keiv, Turkey's drones that have successfully conducted operations deep inside Moscow, yet you claim they are not successful.

Show me a quote were the USA military command said they were not planning to give Ukraine tanks,
Just one link sir,?, you think weapons are just throw into battle the Ukrainian will have to train on it first.

I see you quoting prices on weapons, you forget when the USA made cheap javelins were knocking off Russians T armanda tanks Worth's billions of rubles.

I will like to see when the Germany chief of staff said they weren't sending tanks ti Ukraine because of its loses In the battle field.

Please list the USA Middle East allies sitting on the fence, I guess you will say Arabia. The suadi kingdom is still the USA military biggest customers of weapons, till date, they are over 25k USA military troops in Arabia
The USA Air Force operates the largest forgien military airbase in the Middle East the king afahid airbase In Arabia, or is it isreal? Or Egypt??
1. Which Turkish drones have conducted sorties "deep inside Moscow"? What targets did they hit? No Turkish drone came 300km close to Moscow talkless of conducting sorties deep inside the city. The early success of Turkish drones was due to the lack combat experience in engaging and downing them. The Russians learnt to successfully engage and down the drones after some encounters.
2. No Javelin ATGM destroyed a T-14 Armata, neither does any tank cost billions of rubles. Instead, there are several videos of T-90 tanks surviving hits from different kinds of ATGMs
3. Israel, America's greatest Ally in the ME sits on the fence.
Re: UK Not An Amazon Delivery Service For Weapons To Ukraine, Says Defence Secretary by obedience4(m): 5:24pm On Jul 15, 2023
Emma15678:

1. Which Turkish drones have conducted sorties "deep inside Moscow"? What targets did they hit? No Turkish drone came 300km close to Moscow talkless of conducting sorties deep inside the city. The early success of Turkish drones was due to the lack combat experience in engaging and downing them. The Russians learnt to successfully engage and down the drones after some encounters.
2. No Javelin ATGM destroyed a T-14 Armata, neither does any tank cost billions of rubles. Instead, there are several videos of T-90 tanks surviving hits from different kinds of ATGMs
3. Israel, America's greatest Ally in the ME sits on the fence.

Please look up the drone attack on Moscow.

Also check and google the Russian tank grave yard in keiv, or the Russians destroyed tanks been use as attractions in keiv museums.
Please kindly explain how the state of isreal is sitting on the fence, a country which depends on not only the USA military but also politically. 😀

Also check how much a unit of amarta tank cost.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mali Drops French As Its Official Language / Bloody Night: Massive Missiles And Guided Bomb Strives Throughout Ukraine / Putin Announces A New Mobilization Of The Russian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.