Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,780 members, 7,875,938 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:36 AM

Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria (7547 Views)

Atiku Hails Discovery Of Crude Oil In North-east Region / Everywhere Is Quiet Now Since The Discovery Of The Bodies Of 11 Soldiers / A Team Of Nigerian Scientists Announced The Discovery Of Coronavirus Vaccine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lexylaw09: 11:28am On Jul 16, 2023
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 4:22pm On Jul 16, 2023
lexylaw09:
let me help you with the beautiful pictures of a Yoruba pride...
This is the reason why dey gelous Lagos and his people

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2023
Yoruba pride...

The city recognized all over the World..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lexylaw40: 4:32pm On Jul 16, 2023
lexylaw09:
take a look at the house Where Queen Elizabeth Spent A Night In Ijebu Ode 1956.... Cheif Odutolas castle
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by Gajagojo: 4:35pm On Jul 16, 2023
That was when Nigeria used to drive on the Left hand side of the road

2 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 4:39pm On Jul 16, 2023
Lagos the pride of every African...

Yorubaland Lagos koni baje

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 4:42pm On Jul 16, 2023
In 40 years to come dey can never have a place as beautiful as LAGOS...

Stop playing LAGOS get level...

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by 2mch(m): 4:44pm On Jul 16, 2023
wirinet:

I don’t know who the loudest chest beater us between IPOB and Yoruba tribalists, it would be a very close match. Both are always making stupendous claims of greatness. Lagos Island that was never under the Regional Western government was the one Awolowo built with cocoa money? Lagos Island all the way Akpongbon to Tafawa Balewa Square to Ikoyi and Victoria Island was seat of the colonial government from 1914, when Southern and Northern Nigeria was almalgated till 1991 when the capital was noted to Abuja.

See Carter Bridge that was built in 1901(first picture). Awolowo must have travelled back in time to build it as Awolowo was born 1906.

Second picture is Victoria Island as of 1929

Third picture is Lagos Island in 1935.

What is your point? The point is Lagos was not built with any Oil money. But Cocoa money and our own trade. Yoruba came together and built Lagos. It is ours and we have a right to protect and be proud of it. There is nothing like chest beating here.

3 Likes

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 4:50pm On Jul 16, 2023
I welcome YOU to the land of CITY BOY....

IKOYI NEIGHBORHOOD....

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 4:52pm On Jul 16, 2023
The Pathfinder of the NEW LAGOS...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 4:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
LAGOS the land of CITY BOY

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lexylaw40: 5:25pm On Jul 16, 2023
shocked
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by Jogs1900: 6:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
GoodLife4live:
Lagos the pride of every African...

Yorubaland Lagos koni baje
Oba je tii

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by wirinet(m): 6:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
2mch:

What is your point? The point is Lagos was not built with any Oil money. But Cocoa money and our own trade. Yoruba came together and built Lagos. It is ours and we have a right to protect and be proud of it. There is nothing like chest beating here.
I will say it once again and maybe it will begin to sink in. The Portuguese, British and returned slaves built Lagos. Yorubas never came together and decided to build a city called Lagos. Even the name Lagos is a Portuguese name. Until very recently most places and streets in Lagos Island (which eventually led to the development of the whole of Lagos State) were name after Portuguese English or Edo names. The place that yorubas came together to develop was Ibadan.

I am sure if I ask where your ancestral home is, I am sure it will be either Ijebu or Egbaland of Ogun State. Most people that shout "Lagos Belongs to all Yorubas" are recent immigrants to Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by 2mch(m): 6:39pm On Jul 16, 2023
wirinet:

I will say it once again and maybe it will begin to sink in. The Portuguese, British and returned slaves built Lagos. Yorubas never came together and decided to build a city called Lagos. Even the name Lagos is a Portuguese name. Until very recently most places and streets in Lagos Island (which eventually led to the development of the whole of Lagos State) were name after Portuguese English or Edo names. The place that yorubas came together to develop was Ibadan.
All this is nonsense. Yoruba came together and developed Lagos. Who were Portuguese trading with? Ghosts? Who did the returnees come to meet still developing Lagos? Ghosts? Who did the British meet when they abandoned Calabar for a more comfortable and developed Lagos? Ghosts? Who accommodated the Binis? Ghosts? You see how your point is stupid and senseless?

In Lagos, the English sounding names are not slave returnees. They are trade names or baptismal names. The only slaves that returned have Portuguese names. No Lagosian returned from Europe or America.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lexylaw09: 7:02am On Jul 17, 2023
Portuguese brought their money and resources to build Lagos ?.....meen I think this man is totally insane!!. Yorubas traded with the Portuguese, the British and the whole world thereby making themselves rich right from the onset it was cocoa and palm oil from western region and now yoruba can boast of oil in Itshekiri land (delta state), edo state, Ondo State, and Lagos state with Badagry (Ogun State) due to join very soon. Our greatness is no be here. Its hereditary. God's given greatness and we don't take it for granted

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 11:25am On Jul 18, 2023
Land of city boy... PRESIDENT tinubu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lawani: 8:57am On Jul 22, 2023
lexylaw40:
I don't want to use bad words but what are you really complaining about, ok fine federal contribution but during those times Nigerian economy is mainly based on wealth we got from exporting cocoa and also palm oil, all from the western region of Nigeria, you have to understand that the western region is from kwara to Benin ( Bendel state) down to Itshekiri ( delta state) is the real southwest so most of the nations resources was coming from the western part of the country before we discovered oil. ...that's just what I'm saying bro

Everybody had what they were doing with millions of people working on their lands and their governments had revenue too. Yoruba were not sponsoring Nigeria nor was Kwara part of the western region though it later became part of West Central as created by Gowon and Awolowo led government.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lawani: 9:01am On Jul 22, 2023
enemybulldozer:
You sad wasterners are the ones that are so much involved in social media scamming. And for your info, Lagos was not developed by yoruba leaders that is the fact.

Yorubas did not develop their region themselves that is another fact.
If anybody is in doubt of what am saying, let the person show me any sad waste state that is as developed as lagos, which happened to be nigerian capital territory for many decades before abuja took over.

We all know how Abuja was before babangida decided to make it a capital territory. I hope that the gwari tribe who happens to be the owners of abuja will not come out tomorrow (like the yorubas are doing) and start telling us how they developed abuja by themselves.

Igboland has never been a baren land and can never be. And this is one of the reasons why the nigerian state dont want Igbos to have their biafra.

This lie and propaganda from sad waste that Igbo has no oil in commercial quantity, is one lie that has been over flogged. I dont know why you lots chose to always tell lies through half baked stats. Igboland dont have oil, Igboland is baren yet the nigerian state has refused to let them go. They even fought a war in 1967-1970 to stop the Igbos from seceding.

I don't know why sad waste is a land of liars and mischief makers.

Tufiakwa!

Leaders develop their land and it starts from town planning, prayers and etc. Can you go to Germany and tell them it was not developed by Germans?. It would be an insult. Which Igbo or Hausa as ever held any important position on Yoruba soil to lead initiative for development? Don't you agree that without Nigeria no Yoruba city would be behind Abidjan or Nairobi? That we are behind them in organisation and development is because of Nigeria. Don't you agree?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lawani: 9:09am On Jul 22, 2023
wirinet:

I am sure if I ask where your ancestral home is, I am sure it will be either Ijebu or Egbaland of Ogun State. Most people that shout "Lagos Belongs to all Yorubas" are recent immigrants to Lagos.

Lagos or Eko will have an odu ifa that founded it at inauguration and those people present when the Odu was received if only ten are the founders of Lagos. All cities want people added to them and all cities including Tokyo the largest metropolis, London, New York started as small settlements but they all have a dominant culture despite how cosmopolitan they may have now become

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lawani: 9:12am On Jul 22, 2023
At the end of the day, generate ten billion if your allocation is one billion then watch as you become another Lagos in record time. No big deal in Lagos
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by wirinet(m): 9:36am On Jul 22, 2023
lawani:

Lagos or Eko will have an odu ifa that founded it at inauguration and those people present when the Odu was received if only ten are the founders of Lagos. All cities want people added to them and all cities including Tokyo the largest metropolis, London, New York started as small settlements but they all have a dominant culture despite how cosmopolitan they may have now become

Thats not what the argument is about. The argument is about claims that certain people developed Lagos, and all these claims are fairly recent. First the igbos who started coming to Lagos at the end of the civil war, claimed they developed Lagos, then during elections we hear Tinubu developed Lagos, now Yorubas are claiming to develop Lagos.
People like me try to educate these groups that Lagos was just a tiny fishing settlement before the coming of the Portuguese. What attracted the Portuguese and British to choose Lagos as a trading port was not because they met a developed Yoruba settlement, but because of its natural harbours and lagoons that allowed them berth their ships very close to shore and navigate far inland through creeks and lagoons.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lexylaw09: 9:43am On Jul 22, 2023
wirinet:

Thats not what the argument is about. The argument is about claims that certain people developed Lagos, and all these claims are fairly recent. First the igbos who started coming to Lagos at the end of the civil war, claimed they developed Lagos, then during elections we hear Tinubu developed Lagos, now Yorubas are claiming to develop Lagos.
People like me try to educate these groups that Lagos was just a tiny fishing settlement before the coming of the Portuguese. What attracted the Portuguese and British to choose Lagos as a trading port was not because they met a developed Yoruba settlement, but because of its natural harbours and lagoons that allowed them berth their ships very close to shore and navigate far inland through creeks and lagoons.
because yorubas and Portuguese traded in lagos does not make it igbo land ok. yoruba on top
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lawani: 9:49am On Jul 22, 2023
wirinet:

It does not matter. What I need you to agree with me on is that Lagos would have been better off if no Nigeria to drag it backwards and downwards. Lagos would have had a standard metroline in the 80s if not for Nigeria but the population pressure today is mainly because the LASG is the best organized state government and Lagos is the only state that does not need allocations to survive. They started with landuse charges but now majority of revenue is PAYE, private school teachers, supermarket workers, hotel workers all pay though they manipulate and pay only ten percent of what they should but they still pay. Imagine if Anambra should have the same policy. I mean hundreds of thousands of people will be captured and government will have funds to intervene in any sector of the economy etc etc
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by enemybulldozer(m): 10:14am On Jul 22, 2023
lawani:

Leaders develop their land and it starts from town planning, prayers and etc. Can you go to Germany and tell them it was not developed by Germans?. It would be an insult. Which Igbo or Hausa as ever held any important position on Yoruba soil to lead initiative for development? Don't you agree that without Nigeria no Yoruba city would be behind Abidjan or Nairobi? That we are behind them in organisation and development is because of Nigeria. Don't you agree?
The germany you used as a case study is an advanced country unlike nigeria talkless of lagos. People from other tribes has ruled lagos before including Igbos. The british started the development of lagos with mineral resources gotten from from the east and northern regions. And after the british gave nigeria independence, the nigerian state and nigerians took over from the british in developing lagos. These are already known facts Oga.
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lawani: 10:33am On Jul 22, 2023
enemybulldozer:
The germany you used as a case study is an advanced country unlike nigeria talkless of lagos. People from other tribes has ruled lagos before including Igbos. The british started the development of lagos with mineral resources gotten from from the east and northern regions. And after the british gave nigeria independence, the nigerian state and nigerians took over from the british in developing lagos. These are already known facts Oga.

But the FCT was only a tiny part of Lagos owned by Aworis and the British used Lagos tax for Lagos not donations. Lagos became a British colony in 1861 when they helped a prince to ascend the throne of his ancestors but the demography of Lagos and traditional leadership did not change. They had a governor and an Oba and a legislative council comprising of Yorubas and Europeans. It does not make Lagos the property of Britain anymore than Nigeria is a property of Britain. It may only mean that Lagos was the first member of the British Commonwealth in Nigeria and others later joined. Only three of twenty LG in Lagos are in the former FCT. If you say Lagos was developed by the British then the whole of Nigeria was also developed by the British. Lagos was run with Lagos money with the British at the helms of affair. In the case of Nigeria, Nigeria only came to destroy Lagos, the 50 million dollars paid for the Lagos metro by Jakande is hanging till today. It is lost. 1984 money. So there is nothing at all that Lagos gained from Nigeria. Swell in population is because of Japa from other states and if the Osun government sits up, they will achieve the same results. People tend to follow money and organisation if no reason not to. Then can you mention what initiative that other non Yoruba Nigerians led in Lagos for the development to be credited to them?

Then Germany can be used as an example and any country can advance to their level in one decade with help from them or from others. South Korea did it, Singapore etc did it to advance to the same level, so what is the difference? Are Yoruba or Igbos not learned enough?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by DeepSight(m): 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2023
GoodLife4live:
Land of city boy... PRESIDENT tinubu

Wow, what a great man who also built the National Theatre!
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by Putinofrussia: 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2023
Jogs1900:

If not for ibadan, many of their people would have been palm wine tappers...
It was in Ibadan many of them saw sktscrapper and tv first.

Till date, no sky scrapper in the whole of south east.
grin
Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 8:05am On Jul 23, 2023
DeepSight:

Wow, what a great man who also built the National Theatre!
no body claimed he built national theatre but transformed Lagos to a mega City... Tinubu gave new LAGOS

While obi gave u dilapidated kingdom call anambra state... Den of kidnappers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 8:20am On Jul 23, 2023
I welcome u to the land of JAGABAN... The city boy...

1) ikoyi

2) Ikeja Secretariat

3) Ikeja Secretariat alausa

4) Ikeja Secretariat alausa

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by GoodLife4live: 8:25am On Jul 23, 2023
Elofi okan bale... I will transform NIGERIA

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Lagos Before The Discovery Of Oil in Nigeria by lexylaw40: 9:32am On Jul 23, 2023
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Traders Count Losses As Government Demolishes Shops, Houses In Ebonyi / President Mugabe Again With The Right Answer To Amanpour / SERAP Tells FG To Probe Missing ₦3.8bn In Health Ministry, NAFDAC, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.