Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,947 members, 7,949,255 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 12:02 AM

5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone (1017 Views)

*important* How To Check When You Registered Your Airtel Sim Card. / 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. / How To Check Your MTN, Glo, Airtel & 9mobile Phone Number On Your Mobile Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by justking(m): 8:07am On Jul 20, 2023
5 Things to Check When Buying a Used Android Phone

Buying a used Android phone is a great way to save money and keep perfectly good gadgets from going to waste. Of course, buying used is not as straightforward as buying new---there are some important things to keep in mind.

If you're buying a used Android phone in person---like from someone you know or a Facebook Marketplace meetup---it's relatively easy to check if everything is okay and to back out if it's not. However, when buying a used phone online, you have to be more careful. We'll share some tips to help you make a safe purchase.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by justking(m): 8:08am On Jul 20, 2023
Where to Buy Used Android Phones

Let's start with the basics---make sure to buy used phones from a reputable source that will have your back if something goes wrong. There are a few places we like to look.

Swappa

Swappa is an excellent place to buy and sell used phones---it's essentially like eBay, but tailored specifically to tech. I have personally used Swappa to buy and sell gadgets over the years, and it's always been a good experience.

Every item that goes up for sale on Swappa by an individual must be verified with a photo containing the listing code in frame. This ensures you're seeing a real photo of the actual phone you will receive. There are also real Swappa employees monitoring posts, and you can pull them in whenever needed.
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by justking(m): 8:11am On Jul 20, 2023
Gazelle

Gazelle is like Swappa, but there's one very big difference. You're not buying from random strangers, but from Gazelle itself. They buy phones from users, check them out, and make sure they work fine before selling them.

The nice thing about this is Gazelle has a consistent rating system across all devices. You're not subject to a random person's definition of "Good" being different than yours. Phones from Gazelle have a 30-day return policy as well. You might pay a tiny bit more than you would scooping up a killer deal off Swappa, but many people find that extra bit of money a worthwhile investment to get a more consistent experience buying used phones.

eBay

Everyone knows about eBay, and that's for a good reason---it's still a popular place to sell and buy used stuff. You can find great smartphone deals on eBay, but there's probably more risk on eBay than anywhere else.

Before you buy a used phone on eBay, you should check the ESN, the seller's rating and history, and the phone's condition. You should also ensure the seller accepts returns, or you'll have to deal with eBay or PayPal, which can take a long time.

Generally speaking, eBay has your back if something goes awry. You have to do your homework and accept that you're taking a bit of a risk. Swappa or Gazelle are better options if you're looking for a less stressful experience.
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by justking(m): 8:13am On Jul 20, 2023
Check the IMEI and Serial Numbers

IMEI and serial numbers are codes that identify a phone on a mobile network and by the manufacturer. You should check them to avoid buying a phone that has been flagged as lost or stolen. Most used phone retailers will check on the IMEI for you and list the status, but that's not always the case.

If the IMEI and serial numbers have not been checked, you should ask for the numbers so you can do it yourself. Use services like CheckMend or Phonecheck to see if the phone has been reported as stolen, deny-listed, or subject to an insurance claim. You don't want to buy a phone that can't be activated or used on any network.

Does the Seller Have Good Ratings?

One of the most important things you can do is check the reviews of sellers. This will give you a plain-to-see view of the seller's trustworthiness. While fake reviews do happen, online ratings are generally based on real-life experiences of other buyers, a.k.a. people like you.

To check an online seller's ratings, open their profile and look for a feedback score, star rating, or reviews. Both Swappa and eBay have pretty in-depth rating systems that can easily tell you if a seller is worth dealing with. This is an easy thing to do, and it can save you a lot of grief.

What Aren't They Showing You?

Another thing to look for is plenty of photos that show off the device from all angles. You want to see the front, back, sides, top, bottom, and every port and button on the device. One thing you can look out for is what the seller isn't showing in the photos.

For example, it's never a good sign when there isn't a photo of the device actually powered on. You should also be wary if the back of the phone isn't shown. Sometimes, people are just not great at taking photos, but it can also be a sign of things they don't want you to see. Don't be afraid to ask for more.
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by justking(m): 8:17am On Jul 20, 2023
Ask About Battery Health

Battery menu on the GooglAsk About Battery Health

If you want a used Android phone that's actually going to last a while, you should ask about battery health. Battery health is an indicator of how well the battery can hold a charge. Poor battery health means the phone will discharge much quicker than it should. The older the device is, the more likely it is to have poor battery health.

If you want a used Android phone that's actually going to last a while, you should ask about battery health. Battery health is an indicator of how well the battery can hold a charge. Poor battery health means the phone will discharge much quicker than it should. The older the device is, the more likely it is to have poor battery health.

Android offers a few different ways to check the battery health, but that doesn't help you if you don't have the phone in your hand. If you're looking to buy a used Samsung Galaxy phone, it's a built-in feature that you can ask the owner to check. Otherwise, you'll need to take their word on battery life

Original Accessories and Box Is a Good Sign

The tricky thing with buying used phones online is you have no idea what kind of person you're dealing with. Some people keep their phones in cases 24/7 and baby them; others toss them around like ragdolls---and you can't always spot the difference in photos.

One thing that I tend to put faith behind is whether or not the seller includes original accessories and packaging. If someone hasn't misplaced the charger, and they've gone to the trouble of keeping the original box, I feel pretty good about how they treat their devices. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, but it's one thing to keep in mind.

The best thing you can do when buying a used Android phone online is to keep a bit of skepticism in your mind. Deals that seem to be too good to be true very often are too good to be true. The same goes for used iPhones and Mac computers, too. Do your homework and you'll find a great second-hand phone that can serve you well.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by chickenfoot: 2:23pm On Jul 22, 2023
Nice write up but I've never been a fan of used phones, I'd rather visit carlcare and exchange my old device for a new one.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by Wanni25(f): 7:44pm On Jul 22, 2023
chickenfoot:
Nice write up but I've never been a fan of used phones, I'd rather visit carlcare and exchange my old device for a new one.

My thoughts too!
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by Kakadancefreak(f): 1:44pm On Jul 23, 2023
Seen battery health, my POVA na Crafted Power Bank
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by Idarachris84: 2:02pm On Jul 23, 2023
Thanks for the detailed review!
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by Fonjewel0(f): 2:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
Instead of used, I better do easybuy ni
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by debeginin(m): 1:32pm On Jul 25, 2023
Great post.
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by eyeses: 8:27pm On Aug 08, 2023
Good info, but I'd always prefer a new device
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by eyeses: 8:27pm On Aug 08, 2023
Kakadancefreak:
Seen battery health, my POVA na Crafted Power Bank
yes o, anything battery give it for the Pova and pouvoir series
Re: 5 Things To Check When Buying A Used Android Phone by eyeses: 8:28pm On Aug 08, 2023
chickenfoot:
better option, I'm always a fan of used devices.

(1) (Reply)

Download Free Ringtones / Sending Free Sms From Your Computer. Try It / A New Phase Of Browsing, Ucweb And Teashark Cool.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.