Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,555 members, 7,951,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 02:09 PM

Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You (1063 Views)

What's The Cost Of Obtaining An International Passport In Nigeria? / Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 7:15pm On Jul 24, 2023
So I made that mistake right. Not sure why I did but halfway through the process I gave up and got an agent. First of all if you are like me you most likely don’t have any trace of your recorded birth in Nigeria either because you were born when they didn’t issue birth certificates ( before 92 ) or you were born in Ghana lol ( outside the country ). And so this whole process is a Hail Mary prayer on bended knees. These people want way too much from you . You need guarantors who have passports, and oaths of commissioners and letters from local government endorsing your identity etc etc . It’s just a tedious process to try to DIY. I attempted to DIY it but have given up halfway through and have ceded to professional help and trusttttttt me it makes your life a whole lot easier. They will do all that guarantor and oath commissioner nonsense for you but one thing they can’t do for you is the letter from the local government endorsing your citizenship and residency and even attempting that was a weird experience. The outside was full of shady characters who told me it’s hard to get and I would have to pay 25000 for it. It’s just a sheet of paper for 25k. So I start haggling with this dude and he wouldn’t budge but he said I should wait and when this guy comes in he would try to talk to him for me. So we are waiting for his dude and something in me told me to explore. I did and found a guy who directed me to a LASRA website and told me to answer all the questions and it would generate a reference number which I would use to present to the office for the capture and biometrics. Guess how much the processs cost ? 200 Naira. I was haggling with a guy for 25000 Naira for something that cost 200 Naira ? Lol. Yeah the road is treacherous if you are like me with sparse documentation so get professional help. Don’t try to wing it on your own .

4 Likes

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by frazee: 7:49pm On Jul 24, 2023
Ibadan seems better if you want DIY... I did the process for my family of 5... What I noticed was that when they see your form and know its self applicant they don't treat it seriously... I spent 3k to get my LGA letter of identification from my state liason office...
Captured in March n got my passport in June...
Apart from the fee, I spent only 6k as 'please sir' to get some document stamped for my whole family...
Ibadan was less stress... one day capture, one day collection...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by dragunov: 8:45pm On Jul 24, 2023
sukkot:
So I made that mistake right. Not sure why I did but halfway through the process I gave up and got an agent. First of all if you are like me you most likely don’t have any trace of your recorded birth in Nigeria either because you were born when they didn’t issue birth certificates ( before 92 ) or you were born in Ghana lol ( outside the country ). And so this whole process is a Hail Mary prayer on bended knees. These people want way too much from you . You need guarantors who have passports, and oaths of commissioners and letters from local government endorsing your identity etc etc . It’s just a tedious process to try to DIY. I attempted to DIY it but have given up halfway through and have ceded to professional help and trusttttttt me it makes your life a whole lot easier. They will do all that guarantor and oath commissioner nonsense for you but one thing they can’t do for you is the letter from the local government endorsing your citizenship and residency and even attempting that was a weird experience. The outside was full of shady characters who told me it’s hard to get and I would have to pay 25000 for it. It’s just a sheet of paper for 25k. So I start haggling with this dude and he wouldn’t budge but he said I should wait and when this guy comes in he would try to talk to him for me. So we are waiting for his dude and something in me told me to explore. I did and found a guy who directed me to a LASRA website and told me to answer all the questions and it would generate a reference number which I would use to present to the office for the capture and biometrics. Guess how much the processs cost ? 200 Naira. I was haggling with a guy for 25000 Naira for something that cost 200 Naira ? Lol. Yeah the road is treacherous if you are like me with sparse documentation so get professional help. Don’t try to wing it on your own .

Haha Obadiah, who told you birth certificates were not issued before 90s? O kede funny gan o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by Treadway: 9:17pm On Jul 24, 2023
dragunov:

Haha Obadiah, who told you birth certificates were not issued before 90s? O kede funny gan o.
was about saying the same thing. I have my birth certificate, and that was in the 80's.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 11:46pm On Jul 24, 2023
dragunov:

oh ok Chief i stand corrected grin
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 11:47pm On Jul 24, 2023
Treadway:
was about saying the same thing. I have my birth certificate, and that was in the 80's.
oh ok. lol

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by kumbhuru: 1:17am On Jul 25, 2023
DIY is for people who are ready. You obviously weren't 't really

2 Likes

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by kumbhuru: 7:45pm On Jul 26, 2023
frazee:
Ibadan seems better if you want DIY... I did the process for my family of 5... What I noticed was that when they see your form and know its self applicant they don't treat it seriously... I spent 3k to get my LGA letter of identification from my state liason office...
Captured in March n got my passport in June...
Apart from the fee, I spent only 6k as 'please sir' to get some document stamped for my whole family...
Ibadan was less stress... one day capture, one day collection...
3months. Hmm. The 6k,who and who collected it?

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by Ishilove: 10:11pm On Jul 26, 2023
sukkot:
oh ok. lol
He's right. I have mine and I was born in 1991 grin
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by XAUBulls: 11:53pm On Jul 26, 2023
sukkot:
I'm certain that you haven't ditched your Jand citizenship yet?
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by XAUBulls: 11:53pm On Jul 26, 2023
Ishilove:

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 6:39am On Jul 27, 2023
XAUBulls:

I'm certain that you haven't ditched your Jand citizenship yet?

oh never that my kind Sir 😁. I am going for the duality

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 6:42am On Jul 27, 2023
grin
Ishilove:

ok I see you 1991 baby grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by XAUBulls: 6:45am On Jul 27, 2023
sukkot:
oh never that my kind Sir 😁. I am going for the duality
G'morning Sukkot.

That's good to know.

I'll send you a video weblink within 6 hours that will shed more light on the thread that you created last week.

All the best.
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 6:55am On Jul 27, 2023
XAUBulls:

G'morning Sukkot.

That's good to know.

I'll send you a video weblink within 6 hours that will shed more light on the thread that you created last week.

All the best.
top of the morning to you my kind Sir XAUBulls. Sure I would look out for it. Bro these Nigerians are crazy. It take them 6 months to issue a passport. Awon werey lol

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by Afromentalist: 8:17am On Jul 27, 2023
sukkot:
top of the morning to you my kind Sir XAUBulls. Sure I would look out for it. Bro these Nigerians are crazy. It take them 6 months to issue a passport. Awon werey lol
nice one Sukkot. Did they require you to abandon your first citizenship ?

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by Ishilove: 8:23am On Jul 27, 2023
sukkot:
grin ok I see you 1991 baby grin
grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 8:33am On Jul 27, 2023
Afromentalist:
nice one Sukkot. Did they require you to abandon your first citizenship ?
oh not at all boss
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:46am On Jul 27, 2023
sukkot:

Which passport are you talking about?

Our regular green passport? undecided

Your experience is a little strange.

What are all these things you're talking about? 😖
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 9:35am On Jul 27, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Which passport are you talking about?

Our regular green passport? undecided

Your experience is a little strange.

What are all these things you're talking about? 😖
it’s Naija pali oooo lmao 🤣
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by XAUBulls: 4:07pm On Jul 27, 2023
sukkot:
I hope the professional help you got for the passport was legit? Then again I hear that getting these passports outside Lagos State is usually much faster. A lot of folks want to get theirs from Lagos [Ikoyi, Ikeja, etc], because of the perceived prestige. A passport remains a passport regardless of where it is issued.

Bureaucracy and inneficiencies are indeed impediments to the rapid evolution of Nigeria.

I remember how you had the same issue with the MOT thing in Lagos last year that you talked about
on one of your threads. Awon were... grin

Nigeria has to break away from being a significant underachiever in nearly all fields.
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by frazee: 5:14pm On Jul 27, 2023
kumbhuru:

3months. Hmm. The 6k,who and who collected it?
Who n who collected it? Shey I should send their name n batch no to you sad
3 months was that I didn't get a message.. I just went there that June n found out it was ready.
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 7:41am On Jul 28, 2023
XAUBulls:

I hope the professional help you got for the passport was legit? Then again I hear that getting these passports outside Lagos State is usually much faster. A lot of folks want to get theirs wink from Lagos [Ikoyi, Ikeja, etc], because of the perceived prestige. A passport remains a passport regardless of where it is issued.

Bureaucracy and inneficiencies are indeed impediments to the rapid evolution of Nigeria.

I remember how you had the same issue with the MOT thing in Lagos last year that you talked about
on one of your threads. Awon were... grin

Nigeria has to break away from being a significant underachiever in nearly all fields.

hehe bro it was a lot of back and forth but I got it done but I have to be very honest with you , that ikoyi passport office ? They are very efficient and professional. Of course the Nigerian factor is still present but they were extremely professional for the most part. If there was any bottleneck in the process it was due to me bringing the wrong document. Also the air conditioning in their offices was very strong and the officers carried themselves with a level of respect. I have to be truthful in my observations. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by Whois(m): 7:15pm On Jul 29, 2023
frazee:

Who n who collected it? Shey I should send their name n batch no to you sad
3 months was that I didn't get a message.. I just went there that June n found out it was ready.

Wow so it s possible in 3 months. I did capture this month of July in ikoyi, by October I will track status maybe I will be lucky

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by tym92(m): 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2023
Whois:

Wow so it s possible in 3 months. I did capture this month of July in ikoyi, by October I will track status maybe I will be lucky
Normal passport issue period is within 6weeks... I got mine less than 6weeks and it's DIY... Kaduna state

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by XAUBulls: 9:55pm On Jul 29, 2023
sukkot:
hehe bro it was a lot of back and forth but I got it done but I have to be very honest with you , that ikoyi passport office ? They are very efficient and professional. Of course the Nigerian factor is still present but they were extremely professional for the most part. If there was any bottleneck in the process it was due to me bringing the wrong document. Also the air conditioning in their offices was very strong and the officers carried themselves with a level of respect. I have to be truthful in my observations. cheesy
That's good to know that they have really upgraded their acts Sukkot. The Ikoyi Passport office used to be a notorious place (for overcrowding and the microwave-like hot air)... grin

How long in weeks did it take you to get the passport at Ikoyi from the time you used your connect or professional help? Can you kindly PM or email me your professional contact at Ikoyi who speeded the process for you as this will become handy down the road.

Last but not least, I just read here in the travel section that the hugely popular Henley Passport ranking just indicated that the Nigerian passport rose by 9 spots on the global ranking of the world's strongest passports. So, besides having a golden passport or some other travel passport for ease of travel, having a Nigerian passport readily handy will not be a bad idea.

Have a great weekend.
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 10:17pm On Jul 29, 2023
XAUBulls:

That's good to know that they have really upgraded their acts Sukkot. The Ikoyi Passport office used to be a notorious place (for overcrowding and the microwave-like hot air)... grin

How long in weeks did it take you to get the passport at Ikoyi from the time you used your connect or professional help? Can you kindly PM or email me your professional contact at Ikoyi who speeded the process for you as this will become handy down the road.

Last but not least, I just read here in the travel section that the hugely popular Henley Passport ranking just indicated that the Nigerian passport rose by 9 spots on the global ranking of the world's strongest passports. So, besides having a golden passport or some other travel passport for ease of travel, having a Nigerian passport readily handy will not be a bad idea.

Have a great weekend.

hey have a great weekend too Chief. Now let me tell you, the agent was not used by me to increase the speed of the process, if you want to increase the speed you have to pay express fees. The purpose of the agent was to help me get a guarantor and to help me with all the needed documents. Now it may not be a tedious process for someone who has genuine documents and records of being born in Nigeria and have guarantors with records in Nigeria in which case you can do the process easily yourself without an agent and you pay express fees if you want it quicker. The reason I had to use the agent is cuz I had zero documentation of being a Nigerian. Like I could be a guy from Togo trying to collect a naija pali lol. Oh yeah the place is nice now. Good crowd control, strong air conditioning, effective staff . Good to hear our passport is gaining ground 😄

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by XAUBulls: 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2023
sukkot:
hey have a great weekend too Chief. Now let me tell you, the agent was not used by me to increase the speed of the process, if you want to increase the speed you have to pay express fees. The purpose of the agent was to help me get a guarantor and to help me with all the needed documents. Now it may not be a tedious process for someone who has genuine documents and records of being born in Nigeria and have guarantors with records in Nigeria in which case you can do the process easily yourself without an agent and you pay express fees if you want it quicker.

The reason I had to use the agent is cuz I had zero documentation of being a Nigerian. Like I could be a guy from Togo trying to collect a naija pali lol. Oh yeah the place is nice now. Good crowd control, strong air conditioning, effective staff . Good to hear our passport is gaining ground 😄
Thanks for the quick feedback Sukkot. Oh... I get it now, the agent was for the guarantors only.

The last paragraph of your's cracked me up here... LMAO. Zero documentation for a well-travelled British-born Ikorodu man like you?... "Seems like you dropped all the way from Alpha Centauri..." grin

A Togolese would dare not attempt to go there though. I read that they have a watertight digital trail and a list of documents that have to be provided to the NIS, and these would smoke any alien out who wants to illegally get a green Nigerian passport.

Thanks for sharing your insights.
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by kumbhuru: 8:02am On Jul 30, 2023
XAUBulls:

Thanks for the quick feedback Sukkot. Oh... I get it now, the agent was for the guarantors only.

The last paragraph of your's cracked me up here... LMAO. Zero documentation for a well-travelled British-born Ikorodu man like you?... "Seems like you dropped all the way from Alpha Centauri..." grin

A Togolese would dare not attempt to go there though. I read that they have a watertight digital trail and a list of documents that have to be provided to the NIS, and these would smoke any alien out who wants to illegally get a green Nigerian passport.

Dey play, just dey play
Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by sukkot: 8:29am On Jul 30, 2023
XAUBulls:

yeah Chief, the guarantor and it also helps that she actually works in the place so she guided me through the process >>>ok now take your file here to mr so so and so to get it stamped, ok now take it to mrs lagbaja to get it approved, ok now go and make copies of this and that, ok now I need you to go to your local government to get an indigene verification, ok now I see some conflicting information in these two forms so I need you to change it etc etc etc. basically she was like a quarterback directing the whole thing . Oh and it’s not like I got zero documentation, I got tonnes of documentation but I can’t present any documentation I have because that would reveal that I have been out of the country before , which would then trigger the question so why is this your first ever passport ? Are you even Nigerian ? Etc etc etc and so I can’t present any documentation I have. I have to create fresh documentation. But truthfully speaking I think it’s easy for an outsider to get one. I mean I could have been an outsider right ? But hey what’s an outsider doing trying to get one of the ‘ worst’ lol passports in the world right ? Lmao it’s not like we have a welfare system here that you can plunder after acquiring citizenship. Actually scratch that because we have the 8k Emilokan palliative welfare coming up. I can see how Kwesi will want a piece of that cheesy

1 Like

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by XAUBulls: 11:23am On Jul 30, 2023
sukkot:
yeah Chief, the guarantor and it also helps that she actually works in the place so she guided me through the process >>>ok now take your file here to mr so so and so to get it stamped, ok now take it to mrs lagbaja to get it approved, ok now go and make copies of this and that, ok now I need you to go to your local government to get an indigene verification, ok now I see some conflicting information in these two forms so I need you to change it etc etc etc. basically she was like a quarterback directing the whole thing . Oh and it’s not like I got zero documentation, I got tonnes of documentation but I can’t present any documentation I have because that would reveal that I have been out of the country before , which would then trigger the question so why is this your first ever passport ? Are you even Nigerian ? Etc etc etc and so I can’t present any documentation I have. I have to create fresh documentation.

But truthfully speaking I think it’s easy for an outsider to get one. I mean I could have been an outsider right ? But hey what’s an outsider doing trying to get one of the ‘ worst’ lol passports in the world right ? Lmao it’s not like we have a welfare system here that you can plunder after acquiring citizenship. Actually scratch that because we have the 8k Emilokan palliative welfare coming up. I can see how Kwesi will want a piece of that cheesy
Thanks for the vivid clarity here Sukkot! I get the bigger picture now. Lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Never Attempt To DIY Getting Passport In Lagos. Stress Will Kee You by Nobody: 2:58am On Jul 31, 2023
Treadway:
Some parents gave birth in their homes and in a traditional herbal homes.

(1) (Reply)

What Requirements Should A Sponsor Provide For A Uk Student Visa Applicant? / Us Diversity Visa Program / Hi, Am Just Curious To Find Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.