Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,457 members, 7,944,276 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 01:47 PM

Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS (6919 Views)

See List Of Top 15 Universities In Nigeria According To 2024 Times World Ranking / Twelve Most Peaceful And Friendly States In Nigeria According To Political Zones / Meet The Poor People Paid N5000 Every Month By Nigerian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 3:38pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Oga, where did you check? What makes SW the educational giant? The SW has a much higher percentage of out of school kids. Please verify before disgracing yourself.
Also IGR is not a sign of individual income. Ogun state has high IGR and yet a very high poverty rate. Ondo state has a much lower IGR and one of the lowest poverty rates.

Why do you all run to southwest to get educated? Lol

What’s your definition of poverty rate? How did you arrive at that statistics?
poverty statistics because is very biased and flawed by so many factors.
Let me educate you, so many factors can affect its credibility for example; there’s no way they will take record of everyone in the population, they only take samples.
And when taking samples, did they take their account balance or assets?
How did they value their assets?
So if they check my account balance and it reported 20 naira at 29th of July, but did not report that I’m expecting funds of 20 million naira next tomorrow. And vice versa, is that not flawed already.

Another thing is mean which has its limitations, the average does not take into consideration the true reflection of the wealth of people. If 10 samples were gathered, and 9 of them reported assets valued at 1000 naira and one of them reported 19.99million naira. Do you know that the average asset of the sample of 10 people will be reported as 2million naira. So 10 people would be said to be 2 million naira rich in average when actually, only one person is rich.

And if a sample of 10 people is taken and each of them has 2 million, the average is same thing as the sample of 10’peoppe with only one person having 19.99 million while the others have just 1k

So poverty statistics is one of the most unreliable data, it only gives an impression but not to be used as a fact.

The best is still IGR, because IGR is a summation of the total revenue generated in a state, and I’m surprised u mention tax, please what is the difference in the state tax for southwest and southeast?
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 3:44pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Why do you all run to southwest to get educated? Lol

What’s your definition of poverty rate? How did you arrive at that statistics?
poverty statistics because is very biased and flawed by so many factors.
Let me educate you, so many factors can affect its credibility for example; there’s no way they will take record of everyone in the population, they only take samples.
And when taking samples, did they take their account balance or assets?
How did they value their assets?
So if they check my account balance and it reported 20 naira at 29th of July, but did not report that I’m expecting funds of 20 million naira the next tomorrow. And vice versa

Another thing is mean which has its limitations, the average does not take into consideration he true reflection of the wealth of people. If 10 samples were gathered, and 9 of them reported assets valued at 1000 naira and one of them reported 19.99million naira. Do you know that the average asset of the country 10 people will be reported as 2million naira. So 10 people would be said to be 2 million naira rich in average when actually, only one person is rich.

An if a sample of 10 people is taking and each of them has 2 million, the average is same thing as the sample of 10’peoppe with only one person having 19.99 million while the others have just 1k

So poverty statistics is one of the most unreliable data, it only gives an impression but not to be used as a fact.

The best is still IGR, because IGR is a summation of the total revenue generated in a state, and I’m surprised u mention tax, please what is the difference in the state tax for southwest and southeast?
The top 5 richest countries in the world have very low tax rates. IGR is never considered in economics as a measure on poverty. I can bet you would not see that in any textbook.

Also, I do not define poverty. There are established global definitions of poverty. When poverty is discussed, no one talks of IGR, I would give you N100k if you can show any academic paper that calculates poverty from IGR. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

The top 5 richest countries in the world have very low tax rates. IGR is never considered in economics as a measure on poverty. I can bet you would not see that in any textbook.

Also, I do not define poverty. There are established global definitions of poverty. When poverty is discussed, no one talks of IGR, I would give you N100k if you can show any academic paper that calculates poverty from IGR. Good luck

Do you understand my explanation or don’t?

And who told you the richest countries have low tax rates. Is that a typo or sarcasm or what ?? Did you verify your claim before typing that. Lemme assume you meant to say they have the highest tax rates.

Where you not born yet when they said Nigerians live below 1 dollar per day. This was when dollar was at 200 or so.

Now they say we live less than 1.98 dollars per day. This is data from the almighty Statista itself.

How reliable is this data?

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:00pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

The biggest limitation of such statistics and GDP is that income distribution is not reflected.

It only capture the average.
So if you have one billionaire among 100 poverty stricken people. The GDP could be reported as higher than a place with 100 people with 1 million in their account.

So while the people with 1 million in their account are obviously doing better, the one with 1 billionaire and 100 poor people may be reported higher. Do you understand now?

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:00pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Do you understand my explanation or don’t?

And who told you the richest countries have low tax rates. Is that a typo or sarcasm or what ?? Did you verify your claim before typing that. Lemme assume you meant to say they have the highest tax rates.

Where you not born yet when they said Nigerians live below 1 dollar per day. This was when dollar was at 200 or so.

Now they say we live less than 1.98 dollars per day. This is data from the almighty Statista itself.

How reliable is this data?

Now learn
Ireland, Luxembourg, Singapore, Qatar, UAE and Switzerland are the richest countries on earth and they are all low tax countries.

Now let me further educate you. At a time, $1 was the benchmark for poverty but the figure continues to change because of inflation. So we keep getting updated.

Back to your claim that IGR is the best measure of poverty, my challenge is still open. 100k if you can show me any academic paper that says so.
Or you could write your paper and have the world laugh at you.
One reason our parents took us to school is so we don't say baseless things and get mocked.

100k if you really know what you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

The biggest limitation of such statistics and GDP is that income distribution is not reflected.

It only capture the average.
So if you have one billionaire among 100 poverty stricken people. The GDP could be reported as higher than a place with 100 people with 1 million in their account.

So while the people with 1 million in their account are obviously doing better, the one with 1 billionaire and 100 poor people may be reported higher. Do you understand now?
Oga you are clearly confused. GDP and poverty rate are 2 different things.
GDP may not consider income distribution but poverty rate must always consider income distribution.
For example, let's imagine a country of 10 people with a GDP of 1 billon Dollars. This is not a measure of individual poverty. It could be that only one man has 1 billion and the rest have zero.
But when you measure poverty, you now consider how that 1 billion is distributed. So please read more and you will understand.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Obaaderemi2: 4:06pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Europe is more taxed than the US yet the US is richer.
California is more taxed than Texas yet California has a higher percentage of poverty.
Hope you have learnt something.
Olodo, Europeans are richer on average than Americans and California has lower poverty rate than Texas. Effects of taxes, right. wink
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Now learn
Ireland, Luxembourg, Singapore, Qatar, UAE and Switzerland are the richest countries on earth and they are all low tax countries.

Now let me further educate you. At a time, $1 was the benchmark for poverty but the figure continues to change because of inflation. So we keep getting updated.

Back to your claim that IGR is the best measure of poverty, my challenge is still open. 100k if you can show me any academic paper that says so.
Or you could write your paper and have the world laugh at you.
One reason our parents took us to school is so we don't say baseless things and get mocked.

100k if you really know what you are talking about.

I never said IGR was a measure of poverty. If I did pls point it out and let me correct the typo.

What I said is that poverty statistics are heavily flawed and unreliable . Abeg no twist statement for me.

And I said I trust IGR is a much more reliable data as it gives a true reflection of the revenue of a state

Even Havard and Oxford can’t tell you they have an accurate data to measure poverty. But they can’t tell you they have an accurate data for revenue.

Revenue is audited and accountable.
There is no standard of measuring poverty, it is all based on assumption

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Oga you are clearly confused. GDP and poverty rate are 2 different things.
GDP may not consider income distribution but poverty rate must always consider income distribution.
For example, let's imagine a country of 10 people with a GDP of 1 billon Dollars. This is not a measure of individual poverty. It could be that only one man has 1 billion and the rest have zero.
But when you measure poverty, you now consider how that 1 billion is distributed. So please read more and you will understand.

If you can point to anywhere or any research paper in the world from any institution or corporate body where they prove that they have an accurate standard or means to measure poverty, please show me and I will shut up immediately
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Obaaderemi2: 4:12pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

If you can point to anywhere or any research paper in the world from any institution or corporate body where they prove that they have an accurate standard or means to measure poverty, please show me and I will shut up immediately
The SouthWest is the richest part of Nigeria period.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:13pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

I never said IGR was a measure of poverty. If I did pls point it out and let me correct the typo.

What I said is that poverty statistics are heavily flawed and unreliable . Abeg no twist statement for me.

And I said I trust IGR is a much more reliable data as it gives a true reflection of the revenue of a state

Even Havard and Oxford can’t tell you they have an accurate data to measure poverty. But they can’t tell you they have an accurate data for revenue.

Revenue is audited and accountable.
There is no standard of measuring poverty, it is all based on assumption
Now you are talking about 2 different things again.
So no statistical data is 100 percent accurate. There is something called a margin of error. But as long as the margin of error is acceptable, we can accept it.
But then, if you have issues with the stats, you are always welcome to show your own stats. For me I don't have any reason to fight over this stats

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:13pm On Jul 30, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
The SouthWest is the richest part of Nigeria period.

As shown by the most reliable and accountable and audited records m

Southwest remains unquestionably the richest

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:16pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Now you are showing your ignorance. You obviously don't understand data and statistics. No stats would tell you the exact number of poor people in a country but you can get the figure to the nearest thousand or tens of thousands.
But to assume that we can get a very good picture of global poverty, that's a lie.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:17pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Now you are talking about 2 different things again.
So no statistical data is 100 percent accurate. There is something called a margin of error. But as long as the margin of error is acceptable, we can accept it.
But then, if you have issues with the stats, you are always welcome to show your own stats. For me I don't have any reason to fight over this stats

Bros forget margin of error.

There is not data in the world that captures poverty line accurately, they are all based on using other data to estimate and make reasonably assumptions.
They just create impression

IGR remains valid and accurate as they are being audited, they are real figures and can be audited and traced.

Poverty data are not real figures. It always come as an estimate, and they use terminologies like “believed, estimated, based on, assumed etc

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:20pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

As shown by the most reliable and accountable and audited records m

Southwest remains unquestionably the richest
From your data, I see that Kano has a higher IGR than Ondo and Ekiti so are you saying that poverty is higher in Ondo and Ekiti than in Kano?
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:21pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Now you are showing your ignorance. You obviously don't understand data and statistics. No stats would tell you the exact number of poor people in a country but you can get the figure to the nearest thousand or tens of thousands.
But to assume that we can get a very good picture of global poverty, that's a lie.

Statistics can tell you the exact tax revenue generated in a state.
Wait, what’s your level of education?

Do you know how serious Tax is?
Do you know what they call audit?

Do you know they are often reported to the last cent or kobo or cent? Or you just arguing to defend an ego or accept you don’t know somehting.

You can’t know everything so keep quiet when you need to improve your knowledge
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:27pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Bros forget margin of error.

There is not data in the world that captures poverty line accurately, they are all based on using other data to estimate and make reasonably assumptions.
They just create impression

IGR remains valid and accurate as they are being audited, they are real figures and can be audited and traced.

Poverty data are not real figures. It always come as an estimate, and they use terminologies like “believed, estimated, based on, assumed etc
Oga but you went to school.
No academic data is about assumptions. Yes the use parameters to calculate this values and these parameters are acceptable parameters. IGR is not one of such parameters so it's dishonest for you to bring it up in a debate about poverty.
I understand using IGR as a bragging right for your state or region. But poverty is a serious matter and I don't see the place for IGR in this topic.
I am from the SE but I can't be excited. A 49 percentage poverty rate is criminal l. It's nothing to celebrate. But you are there living in denial. That's a shame and you can do better.
I told you about out of school kids but then again you did not take it seriously. The only thing that matters to you is IGR.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:27pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

From your data, I see that Kano has a higher IGR than Ondo and Ekiti so are you saying that poverty is higher in Ondo and Ekiti than in Kano?

I can bet you failed comprehension in school.
Walahi.
Maybe I should type slowly so you can read slowly.

There is no standard measure of poverty, it is based on assumption!

The data the op posted can’t be used as a fact
There is no real measurement of individual wealth or poverty distribution .
But with IGR, we can say that our region is generating more revenue, hence richer. It doesn’t translate to individual wealth.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:32pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

Statistics can tell you the exact tax revenue generated in a state.
Wait, what’s your level of education?

Do you know how serious Tax is?
Do you know what they call audit?

Do you know they are often reported to the last cent or kobo or cent? Or you just arguing to defend an ego or accept you don’t know somehting.

You can’t know everything so keep quiet when you need to improve your knowledge
So to calculate the total tax generated by a state, you don't use statistics you instead you use accounting methods.
Tax is a topic of it's own. It's not a parameter considered when discussing poverty.
You may get away with it on nairaland but you would be ridiculed if you tried this in OAU or UI.
Tax has its place but not in a discussion about poverty.
As I told you, the 6 richest countries in the world are low taxed nations. They are sometimes called tax heavens.

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

I can bet you failed comprehension in school.
Walahi.
Maybe I should type slowly so you can read slowly.

There is no standard measure of poverty, it is based on assumption!

The data the op posted can’t be used as a fact
There is no real measurement of individual wealth or poverty distribution .
But with IGR, we can say that our region is generating more revenue, hence richer. It doesn’t translate to individual wealth.

Stats is not based on assumptions. It is a science and science is based on data not assumption. Know this and know peace.
And yes there are global standards for measuring poverty. Please just Google "The global standards for measuring poverty."
Stop saying what you don't know.
One more mistake, generating more revenue does not make a state richer. It only makes the government richer.
Let me teach you using another example.
If a state has a GDP of N100 and the government collects N50 as tax, does it make it richer than a state that has a GDP of N200 and yet collects a tax of N20?

1 Like

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:41pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

So to calculate the total tax generated by a state, you don't use statistics you instead you use accounting methods.
Tax is a topic of it's own. It's not a parameter considered when discussing poverty.
You may get away with it on nairaland but you would be ridiculed if you tried this in OAU or UI.
Tax has its place but not in a discussion about poverty.
As I told you, the 6 richest countries in the world are low taxed nations. They are sometimes called tax heavens.

When you say richest country, what you mean by richest.
And different types of taxes.
But I know US has one of the highest corporate taxes, income tax is very high in Europe.
The advanced countries don’t play with tax.
There’s is income tax, sales tax, income tax, gambling tax, state tax, corporate tax etc it depends on which tax you talk about

UAE also has one of the highest coporate tax rate in the world.

Use statista.com to check all these statistics, I don’t know if you have access but I have full subscription many of these sites with accurate data
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:45pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

But I know US has one of the highest corporate taxes, income tax is very high in Europe.
In Africa

Use statista.com to check all these statistics, I don’t know if you have access but I have full subscription many of these sites with accurate data
I just gave you the 6 richest countries in the world.
Also African countries have about the same tax rates as many European countries. Nigerian tax rates are not lower than the US
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Morbeta11(m): 4:45pm On Jul 30, 2023
ruffhandu:
So the so-called South South are a bunch of poor people? In fact, I don't believe this report.

Enter Asari Village, you go dey shocked......
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 4:46pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

I just gave you the 6 richest countries in the world.
Also African countries have about the same tax rates as many European countries. Nigerian tax rates are not lower than the US

I edited my comment.

There are different tax rates, so it depends on the tax. Income, gambling tax, corporate tax, sales tax etc
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:47pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

There’s is income tax, sales tax, income tax, gambling tax, state tax, corporate tax etc it depends on which tax you talk about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcdfcfOqNZU
Above is a link to counties by income tax and an African country is number one.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Obaaderemi2: 4:49pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Kano has a population probably the combination of Ondo and Ekiti if not more. So it's not surprising if it has higher igr and higher poverty. But how come Oyo with a smaller population than Anambra has a bigger igr?
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:49pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

I edited my comment.

There are different tax rates, so it depends on the tax. Income, gambling tax, corporate tax, sales tax etc
Countries by tax rate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_rates
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
Kano has a population probably the combination of Ondo and Ekiti if not more. So it's not surprising if it has higher igr and higher poverty. But how come Oyo with a smaller population than Anambra has a bigger igr?
But Anambra has a far better poverty rate. Which do you prefer Richer government and poorer people or poorer government and richer people.
This is a case of big government.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2023
Obaaderemi2:
Donald Trump reduced federal taxes in US and what happened? Government IGR went down but GDP we t up by over 3 points which was the biggest in over 16 years. Poverty also fell to under 14 percentage. Please check US economic reports for 2019 to learn for yourself.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by tctrills: 5:12pm On Jul 30, 2023
Omoawoke2:

I edited my comment.

If you were serious, the data about SW poverty should have made you furious. You should be angry with our leaders and thinking of solutions but instead you bring up something as irrelevant as IGR. It seems you are proud of the poverty level in the SW.
50 years ago just after the civil war, the SE was by far the poorest. It was one of the poorest regions in the world. Today that figure has been reduced to 49 percentage but I am still angry. The progress is too slow for me.
I am not from the SW but I clearly have more love for the SW than you do because this figures make me mad.
Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 5:19pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

Countries by tax rate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_rates

I opened the link you sent and the first thing I saw was this which I said that it depends on the tax. Thanks for validating my argument

Re: Number Of Poor People In Nigeria According To Zones - NBS by Omoawoke2(m): 5:21pm On Jul 30, 2023
tctrills:

But Anambra has a far better poverty rate. Which do you prefer Richer government and poorer people or poorer government and richer people.
This is a case of big government.

I thought we trashed it out already that poverty rate is subjective and unreliable.

Anywhere you here data like poverty rate, it is based on assumptions not real figures

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria On Track To Attain Food Security – Tinubu / Has Power Supply Improved In Your Area Of Recent? / Woman Arrested For Raping A Man At Gunpoint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.