Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,522 members, 7,888,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 12:24 PM

Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? (10507 Views)

Rolls Royce Owner, Who Lives In A Rented Flat In FESTAC / See What Lagos Fuel Scarcity Made This Poor Man Do / Pictures Of Exotic Cars In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by lovelyS(m): 2:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
Yes ! It happens.sometimes i wonder too.

Make money online without paying a dime, click the link for more info http://www.bigeurobux.com/?ref=cybercom
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by wewe1(m): 3:00pm On Oct 10, 2011
texazzpete:

My dear m'oron
Why should anyone's choice (with their own money!) become your business?

Seriously Serious, Let the beat go on , I am loving this. I dey laugh ooooo grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by BigMeat2: 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
For those people whose livelihood depends on travelling around, having a very good auto will be an advantage.
As par 'exotic cars', i'm afraid the under developed road network in Nigeria will damage such cars.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ojubi(m): 3:12pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ Harakiri, in your own opinion nigerians dont drive those cars that sooth your definition of exotic?                                Back to the topic we have seen a sizable percentage of oil company workers in porthacourt retire on nothing less than a six figure income salary yet have no houses in porthacourt but use the latest product of toyota.                                     The last man i know was practically chased out of nigeria agip oil company official residence in rumoudara, portharcourt, with police men, after a court case he started with the company to prevent his eviction.                    Absulotely this dude has no were to go other than the village, maybe to his fathers house.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by fm7070: 3:15pm On Oct 10, 2011
people prefer to acquire liability rather than asset.
sometimes, they feel that cost of building house is too much and that they cannot afford it at that time, whereas, with focus, they can afford it if they set their priorities right.
Also, most of them always want to stay in the mainland & island.
With 4m, you will errect a good 5bedroom bungalow in places like Ota, Agbara Ifo, etc.
The worst part of it is that, by the time they will wake up from their slumbers, likes of children school fees, family problems, and other responsibilities wouldn'tt allow them.
Make hays while the sun shine,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Redman44(m): 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
It is better to for someone to own his or her own house than to be driving a car. A house is asset that has a long lasting value while a Car only serves short time purposes. As soon as you drive a car out of the Auto Dealer's Place after purchasing, it immediately begins to lose its value. On the other hand, a House will continue to appreciate in value ( especially in Nigeria where we don't have a proper Mortgage Industry ). Though a car is good as a form of transportation, it is more of a liability in the long run. You will continue to spend more and more money to maintain it. It will not yield you any profit and its condition will continue to deteriorate over the years. Having a House is a good investment because you can rent some parts of it out and the area in which you built the House might become a Highbrow area which will lead to your property's value appreciating in the long run. Personally, I feel many Nigerians love seeing the outward display of wealth than the value of assets like Houses and land. Cheers.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by harakiri(m): 3:25pm On Oct 10, 2011
ojubi:

@ Harakiri, in your own opinion nigerians dont drive those cars that sooth your definition of exotic?                                Back to the topic we have seen a sizable percentage of oil company workers in porthacourt retire on nothing less than a six figure income salary yet have no houses in porthacourt but use the latest product of toyota.                                     The last man i know was practically chased out of nigeria agip oil company official residence in rumoudara, portharcourt, with police men, after a court case he started with the company to prevent his eviction.                    Absulotely this dude has no were to go other than the village, maybe to his fathers house.  

If you  read what i wrote, it's was very clear to see that the people who actually drive the cars i deem exotic DON'T live in "poor rented houses". When last did you see a Bentley owner living in a room and parlor in Ketu? How many BMW X6 owners have you seen living in "face me-I face you" rooms in Bariga? Even if they choose to rent, it's usually serviced flats and duplexes in areas like Magodo GRA,Ikeja GRA,Lekki,VGC and so on.

Further more, people's ideologies differ. There are people who don't mind living in the bush so long as they answer the "landlord" status. Others would rather spend millions on rent each year but enjoy the benefits of a urban,beautiful and secure environment. It all boils down to taste my friend. Not everyone reasons or sees life the way you do. Get your mind right.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ojubi(m): 3:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
My thread is not aimed at telling peeps what to do with thier money, Rather with your rational contributions here people can make their informed descisions. You may be working in the midle of the city, and you need to live close to your office no doubt about that. But dont you think in life we should all have a plan "B"? In your wise plan B you can buy a land in the suburd of your town, develope it and give it out for rental just incase of emergency eviction or most times people lost thier job and start all over again.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by infolpf: 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ OP,
Interesting question. I have a great example -
there is a gentleman (I presume) @ a UPDC mass housing estate in Victoria Island who has a spanking new Roll Royce Phantom, amongst other "exotic" cars, in the parking lot of his cluster. I presume this to be one of many cars because it is always parked, moves to be washed, and then back to its regular spot under the sun, in an uncovered parking spot. There is usually a G55 parked alongside it.

Now let me drink this oga's panadol for a minute as I analyze -
Rent at estate - N3M maximum per annum.
Purchase price - N50M max for a 4 bedroom (Assuming he owns rather than rents)
Purchase price of a phantom - N75M ($380,000 - $450,000)

In the final analysis it all comes down to priorities, doesn't it? Perhaps he has a passion for Rollers, or perhaps wants to be a roller. Perhaps it was a gift. Perhaps he does it simply because he can. No matter the answer, it is his call! All the same, I look at the Roller in the parking lot of this mass housing estate everyday as I drive by like a peasant relative, and I simply smile and shake my head.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by harakiri(m): 3:44pm On Oct 10, 2011
ojubi:

My thread is not aimed at telling peeps what to do with thier money, Rather with your rational contributions here people can make their informed descisions. You may be working in the midle of the city, and you need to live close to your office no doubt about that. But dont you think in life we should all have a plan "B"? In your wise plan B you can buy a land in the suburd of your town, develope it and give it out for rental just incase of emergency eviction or most times people lost thier job and start all over again.  

Look, i know what you're getting at but people's plans differ. Some people can't see how they can buy land for more than N3million while there are some who will never touch anything except in V.I. The guy who buys land in V.I might enjoy all the serenity of the environment but suffer flooding problems. The guy who buys land in Akute or Ibafo might enjoy the affordability of the land and it's dryness but how about security? I personally know someone who built a house around these low cost areas and they were robbed the very week they moved in there( his wife was also r.Aped several times in his presence and no one came to their aid). See what i mean?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by texazzpete(m): 4:05pm On Oct 10, 2011
harakiri:

Look, i know what you're getting at but people's plans differ. Some people can't see how they can buy land for more than N3million while there are some who will never touch anything except in V.I. The guy who buys land in V.I might enjoy all the serenity of the environment but suffer flooding problems. The guy who buys land in Akute or Ibafo might enjoy the affordability of the land and it's dryness but how about security? I personally know someone who built a house around these low cost areas and they were robbed the very week they moved in there( his wife was also r.Aped several times in his presence and no one came to their aid). See what i mean?

Leave them let them be talking. After mu uncle got robbed 3 times in 6 months in his own house in Mowe, he ran back to his rented apartment in ikorodu grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by blank(f): 4:14pm On Oct 10, 2011
ojubi:

How do u know that they do not already do that? You see them living in the rented house, do u know if they have houses elsewhere that they have rented out but due to their reasons they dceided to live in a rented flat?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by debosky(m): 4:16pm On Oct 10, 2011
@ OP

The fact that some live in rented houses doesn't mean they don't have homes they own elsewhere. Besides, the people may just not be interested in being home owners.

People experience all sorts of issues living in far flung locations, some of those places will even FORCE you to buy so called 'exotic' cars like 4WD vehicles or 'jeeps' just to get from your home to work.

In the end it's all down to personal preference - having a plan B is good, but it doesn't have to be in the form of a building - it could be savings, other assets or investments as well.

You seem to be judging people by what you can see rather than what you truly know about them, all of which is really none of your business - a typical Nigerian trait no doubt. grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by harakiri(m): 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2011
info@lpf:

@ OP,
Interesting question. I have a great example -
there is a gentleman (I presume) @ a UPDC mass housing estate in Victoria Island who has a spanking new Roll Royce Phantom, amongst other "exotic" cars, in the parking lot of his cluster. I presume this to be one of many cars because it is always parked, moves to be washed, and then back to its regular spot under the sun, in an uncovered parking spot. There is usually a G55 parked alongside it.

Now let me drink this oga's panadol for a minute as I analyze -
Rent at estate - N3M maximum per annum.
Purchase price - N50M max for a 4 bedroom (Assuming he owns rather than rents)
Purchase price of a phantom - N75M ($380,000 - $450,000)

In the final analysis it all comes down to priorities, doesn't it? Perhaps he has a passion for Rollers, or perhaps wants to be a roller. Perhaps it was a gift. Perhaps he does it simply because he can. No matter the answer, it is his call! All the same, I look at the Roller in the parking lot of this mass housing estate everyday as I drive by like a peasant relative, and I simply smile and shake my head.

It might surprise you that this "chairman" who owns the Rolls might have over a dozen properties scattered all over Nigeria and abroad (including residential flats,duplexes,shopping plazas,hotels etc). He might also have hectares of land and dozens of businesses you have no idea about. Ever thought about that?

Personally, i would rather have successful businesses and property built for commercial purpose before rushing into building a residential house.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
blank:

How do u know that they do not already do that? You see them living in the rented house, do u know if they have houses elsewhere that they have rented out but due to their reasons they dceided to live in a rented flat?

I wonder. People just don't mind their business. Does this guy expect people to come up to him, and tell him what they're doing with their money? They see someone with an "exotic car," living in rented accommodation, and simple assume the worst. Assumption is the mother of all c[i]o[/i]ck-ups. Ojubi, mind your own business, concentrate on your own finances, and you might just get somewhere.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Jarus(m): 4:32pm On Oct 10, 2011
harakiri:

It might surprise you that this "chairman" who owns the Rolls might have over a dozen properties scattered all over Nigeria and abroad (including residential flats,duplexes,shopping plazas,hotels etc). He might also have hectares of land and dozens of businesses you have no idea about. Ever thought about that?

Personally, i would rather have successful businesses and property built for commercial purpose before rushing into building a residential house.
Spot on. You need further knowledge to judge many people.
Like I said, I know people that live in rented apartment but own 2 houses.

On a personal note, I also like a good ride(not the real exotic ones in the real sense of exoticness o), but I give myself brain, not doing beyond my capacity.
I personally strike a balance btw house and ride with the former taking priority.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by engrj(m): 5:18pm On Oct 10, 2011
Is only in Lagos state. i have seen it as well, but the problems in my own way should be getting the land may be too expensive for them.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by frenchman2: 5:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
1. misplaced priority

2. packaging. the way you dress, that's the way you're addressed. so when they go out they want to look/addressed as 'important'.

some have genuine reasons to be in a rented apartment.

i know of someone who chose to pack out of his house in G.R.A, gave it out for rent (about 3m/annum) and

rent an apartment of about 500k/annum
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by lepasharon(f): 6:05pm On Oct 10, 2011
ITS A BLACK CULTURE!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by texazz: 7:05pm On Oct 10, 2011
lepasharon:

ITS A BLACK CULTURE!!!

What are you referring to as 'a black culture'? The choice of a man to buy what he wants with his own money or the 'oversabi' nature that you guys are displaying? grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Dapwajok(m): 7:24pm On Oct 10, 2011
Driving a good car to work and living in a rented apartment is not bad at all. The problem is, in Nigeria, if u close from work u are not sure of working d next day. There in no job security. After buying good car, renting good house in V.I and u lose ur job. How do u pay d rent. As u rent try get a plan B as d poster mentioned.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 10, 2011
texazz:

What are you referring to as 'a black culture'? The choice of a man to buy what he wants with his own money or the 'oversabi' nature that you guys are displaying? grin

He must be one of the types that lambasted me for living in the US for over 20 years and don't have a house in Nigeria grin

What I do with my money and what country I chose to invest it in is my personal business. I know a couple of Nigerians that have real estate holdings in the Bahamas. No police wahala, no omoonile wahala, no nepa wahala, and real actual tourists visits and rents this places.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ojobdn(m): 8:26pm On Oct 10, 2011
U hv all said well but remember the bible verse that says except the lord build the house he who build it labour in vain. Not evreyone will build house and not everybody will own a car, it all depends on our choice and taste.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by INFO70: 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2011
Such people and stupid without self confident.
They are not real.
They force theirself to belong to class.
This is very common among Nigerians
Poor planners
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ShyOne(f): 8:52pm On Oct 10, 2011
quote by harakiri
Can you define what you mean by "EXOTIC CAR"? How many "exotic cars" have you seen with your two eyes in Nigeria and how many of the owners live in the so called "poor rented houses"? Poverty has really cooked the brains of Nigerians. Exotic cars are the likes of Bentley,Rolls Royce,Ferrari,Porsche,Lamborghini,Mercedes,BMW,Aston Martin,Bugatti Veyron,Maybach and so on. These are exotic cars NOT Toyota Camry and Honda accord that I'm pretty sure are the so called "exotic cars" you're referring to. In the western hemisphere, a lot of people drive good cars and still live in rented apartments. There are millionaires who have no houses of their own (a lot live in hotel suites for years) so what are you talking about?

quote by Jerryben12
Depends on your thinking and environment. In the US, UK etc, people live in mini apartments and drive nice cars. Their thinking is different from Africans. These people buy these cars as a measure of their needs.

^^^ both quotes above speak "complete truth"
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ShyOne(f): 8:55pm On Oct 10, 2011
quote by harakiri:

^^^^^ MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by nightfall(m): 9:07pm On Oct 10, 2011
angry For GOD sake whats your business on how people decide to live their live i don't just understand some people
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by makizee(m): 9:14pm On Oct 10, 2011
Wetin consign u for there, i would not say they or do not have their priorities right, to each his own,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ogaju007(m): 9:38pm On Oct 10, 2011
You see?hmmm Major problem with Nigerians . Not minding your own biz.
what is the point of rushing to buy a house when my biz requires me to be extremely mobile and presentable?
What is the point buying a 5million Naira car when i have a family to shelter?
What is the point of buying a flat in marwa gardens when i'm actually working towards a house?

Look people, yes toyou some people might look stupid but you end up more stupid if you waste your time thinking about why people do what they do with what they have.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by natume: 9:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
People should indeed learn 2 mind their own biz but hard 2 do when you see ur next door neighbor kids not going 2 school and their dad keep drinking himself 2 stupor on a daily basis.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by gee2(m): 10:20pm On Oct 10, 2011
it's just our character to show off when we haven't achieved anything.
wanting people to seeus as though we have arrived while we stil on the way
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Use Exotic Cars Yet Live In Poor Or Rented Houses? by ogaju007(m): 10:31pm On Oct 10, 2011
You call buying yourself a good thing that you can afford showing off? Whats wrong in treating yourself . They buy the stuff cause they can afford it. Work harder someday you too go fit buy one. grin grin You go buy Toyota or Datsun 120y lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FRSC Set For Nationwide Enforcement Of Speed Limiting Device / What's The Taxi Brand In Your Town? / Audi A6 Vs Toyota Camry 2003 Vs Honda Accord 2003 (end Of Discussion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.