Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,688 members, 7,948,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 02:32 AM

4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil (411 Views)

Economic Hardship: Cassava, Potatoes To The Rescue In Borno, Taraba / Kyari, Bawa Confessed Working Directly With Cartels In Brazil, Ethiopia โ€” NDLEA / Magu Quizzed Over 380 Houses, 7 Crude Oil-laden Ships, N37bn Assets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Generalmystic: 2:57pm On Aug 03, 2023
Four Nigerians Survive 14 Days On Shipโ€™s Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil
Four Nigerians Survive 14 Days On Shipโ€™s Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil

August 2, 2023
NEWS

On their 10th day at sea, four Nigerian stowaways crossing the Atlantic in a tiny space above the rudder of a cargo ship ran out of food and drink.

They survived another four days, according to their account, by drinking the sea water crashing just meters below them, before being rescued by Brazilian federal police in the southeastern port of Vitoria.

Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometres (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life, according to Reuters.

"It was a terrible experience for me," said 38-year-old Thankgod Opemipo Matthew Yeye, one of the four Nigerians, in an interview at a Sao Paulo church shelter. "On board it is not easy. I was shaking, so scared. But I'm here."

Their relief at being rescued soon gave way to surprise.

The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil. Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.

"I pray the government of Brazil will have pity on me," said Friday, who had already attempted to flee Nigeria by ship once before but was arrested by authorities there.

Both men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.

Yeye, a Pentecostal minister from Lagos state, said his peanut and palm oil farm was destroyed by floods this year, leaving him and his family homeless. He hopes they can now join him in Brazil.

Friday said his journey to Brazil began on June 27, when a fisherman friend rowed him up to the stern of the Liberian-flagged Ken Wave, docked in Lagos, and left him by the rudder. To his surprise, he found three men already there, waiting for the ship to depart. Friday said he was terrified. He had never met his new shipmates and feared they could toss him into the sea at any moment.

Once the ship was moving, Friday said the four men made every effort not to be discovered by the ship's crew, who they also worried might offer them a watery grave.

"Maybe if they catch you they will throw you in the water," he said. "So we taught ourselves never to make a noise."

Spending two weeks within spitting distance of the Atlantic Ocean was perilous.

To prevent themselves from falling into the water, Friday said the men rigged up a net around the rudder and tied themselves to it with a rope. When he looked down, he said he could see "big fish like whales and sharks." Due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleep was rare and risky. "I was very happy when we got rescued," he said.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, said he had come across other cases of stowaways, but never one so dangerous. Their journey paid testament to lengths people will go in search of a new start, he said. "People do unimaginable and deeply dangerous things."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://saharareporters.com/2023/08/02/four-nigerians-survive-14-days-ships-rudder-rescue-brazil&ved=2ahUKEwjdlbrRz8CAAxUQTkEAHY8cCboQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0AJKQ9XqoxWLhchPpuDZh-

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-nigerians-rescued-brazil-survived-14-days-ships-rudder-2023-08-01/&ved=2ahUKEwjdlbrRz8CAAxUQTkEAHY8cCboQFnoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3ZkVpgSv6_8SiTovi5sCWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONTjWPgopng

Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Generalmystic: 2:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
More photos

Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by EKONGKING: 2:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
They are just dumb. Luckily for them the sea is calm .
Countless people died doing dumb things all in the name of Japa
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Generalmystic: 2:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
More photos.

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by TemplarLandry: 2:59pm On Aug 03, 2023
cool They represent the thoroughbred, resilient nature of we Nigerians.

I dedicate โ€œDown Belowโ€ by Roddy Ricch to these thoroughbreds. Great jam!
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by ivolt: 3:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
Where is their passport that confirm them as Nigerians?
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by vastolord4(m): 3:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
Asari dokubo think say en get mind
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Throwback: 3:02pm On Aug 03, 2023
To what end?

2 out of the 4 are even back in Nigeria.

I repeat, to what end for such a perilous adventure?

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Generalmystic: 3:03pm On Aug 03, 2023
Cc @OAM4J @Nlfpmod
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Ikaeniyan0: 3:08pm On Aug 03, 2023
I know a guy who did this in 2018 and he is now an American citizen
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Generalmystic: 3:14pm On Aug 03, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
I know a guy who did this in 2018 and he is now an American citizen
Wow. I wouldn't dare that.
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Racoon(m): 3:21pm On Aug 03, 2023
Their remarkable, death-defying journey across some 5,600 kilometres (3,500 miles) of ocean underlines the risks some migrants are prepared to take for a shot at a better life, according to Reuters.

The men said economic hardship, political instability and crime had left them with little option but to abandon their native Nigeria. Africa's most populous country has longstanding issues of violence and poverty, and kidnappings are endemic.
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Scarrr: 3:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
For me, this is stupidity at it's peak... I wish them good luck tho
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Generalmystic: 3:27pm On Aug 03, 2023
I hope non of them voted Tinubu, else e no go better for them
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Racoon(m): 3:27pm On Aug 03, 2023
Throwback:
To what end?2 out of the 4 are even back in Nigeria. I repeat, to what end for such a perilous adventure?
Guess you are an alien in Nigeria today haven seen the bastardization of this nation under the APC in the past 8 years? It is because you lots enjoy the crumbs that fell out from the slave masters table.
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Vifx: 3:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
Saw this earlier on BBC
Lol
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Ikaeniyan0: 3:30pm On Aug 03, 2023
Generalmystic:
Wow. I wouldn't dare that.
A lot of boys dey do am for Apapa back then, is very risky sha, boys dey fall. I could have done it too, but my mind no carry am. Is a 50/50 thing
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Treasure17(m): 3:34pm On Aug 03, 2023
If we perish we perish attitude and let the chips fall where they may. Thank goodness they made it
Re: 4 Nigerians Survive 14days On Ships Rudder Before Rescue In Brazil by Shalommy(f): 3:46pm On Aug 03, 2023
Wahala no go finish! cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Finally Gives Solution For Fuel Price / Knocks For Sanwo-oluโ€™s Wife For Describing Lagos Doctorโ€™s Deathย as โ€˜arrow Firedโ€™ / Negotiations Fail, Niger Recalls Ambassador From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.