Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,727 members, 7,938,256 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 08:50 PM

9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make (32515 Views)

Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers / 9 Common Mistakes Car Owners Make / 7 Driving Position Mistakes Car Drivers Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Babaken(m): 7:19pm On Aug 04, 2023
@ Op and the car expert in the building is it advisable to buy UK that come with LHD and get all necessary components converte it to RHD is there any danger or what are the disadvantage of such car.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by hefelove(m): 7:37pm On Aug 04, 2023
SweetDipBenny:
U mean u looking for a car to use for uber
Yes boss
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by possibilita(m): 7:59pm On Aug 04, 2023
Nice writeup

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by BestTrades: 8:03pm On Aug 04, 2023
Buyers should ensure to run

1) To check vehicle history (Vin check)of any car.

Check for accidents, stolen vehicles, recalls ,photos and more

For comprehensive vehicle history report .

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

2)For Custom Duty Verification ..

Check the authenticity of your papers
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by professore(m): 8:14pm On Aug 04, 2023
Thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Kimiso(m): 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2023
AutoHubNG:
If you’re thinking of buying a car in Nigeria, whether foreign or Nigerian used; you need to be careful not to make any of the mistakes listed in this article.

1. Buying in a haste
Buying a car is totally different from buying toy cars at a shopping mall’s toy section where kids spot the toy of their choice, point a finger and it’s theirs in a minute or under. And as we all know; the kid might even end up damaging the toy before the next day.

Now, we are talking about buying a real car with your hard-earned money. So don’t rush, take your time, compare prices and do all the necessary checks before making the purchase.

2. Thinking the cheapest car is the always the best deal
Awoof has purged many car buyers on several occasions. I always tell people “the cheapest car is not necessarily the best deal”. It is a bad idea to save ₦500,000 only to buy a car that has just been rebuilt from a terrible accident with deployed airbags and damaged suspensions not properly repaired. The sad news is some people buy these cars only to end up spending a lot more on further or recurring repairs. Worst still, they could end up being involved in ghastly motor accidents. Some others end up in jail for buying ridiculously cheap cars which happened to be stolen vehicles.

We all know there’s always a strong urge to maximise profit(s) by any means necessary, but we should more often than not, try our possible best to resist said urge as it will serve us well in the long run. As the adage goes – “Penny wise, Pound foolish.”

3. Falling in love with the clean exterior of the car alone
Many of us are guilty of this. We buy a car because it has a clean exterior and beautiful aesthetics (maybe from a slick paint job and or customised bumpers/grills/wheels/side sills/spoilers etc.). I fell victim to this when I bought my first car and it started dealing with me severely after 6 months. A friend of mine bought a Toyota SUV in Lagos but by the time he got to Uyo with the car, he realised he had bought a vehicle with a faulty engine and said engine of the SUV broke down completely within the first 3 months. To add salt to injury, Nigerian Customs seized the SUV immediately after he eventually changed the engine. Wahala Wahala Wahala...

4. Showing desperation to the seller
If you show that you are desperately in love or in need of a car to a seller, then you may have just signed a “one chance” certificate. The next thing they will tell you is, someone else is coming to pay for the car this evening. So, you won’t have a choice but to pay hurriedly. You may end up paying more for the car and you may not have sufficient time to carry out a thorough inspection of the vehicle.

5. Not doing proper checks
Proper checks include test driving, VIN check, diagnostic scan, verifying customs and vehicle papers, etc. Endeavour you thoroughly inspect any- and every- aspect of the vehicle to save yourself from future headaches. “A stich in time, saves nine” as they say.

6. Wanting only the most recent version
Most buyers, more often than not - want the more recent version of a particular model/brand.

Take for example the ubiquitous Toyota Corolla 2005/2006 model (irrefutable as at the time of citing this example), the last version of that model - 2008, has the same design and most of the features from the earliest version – 2003, but the preference is much higher for the former despite costing more. So, if you are particular about saving cost, you may be better off with the 2003 model instead of buying a refurbished 2008 model.

The difference in both cars may not be commensurate to the difference in pricing and this also applies to many other brands and models alike.

7. Buying a particular car because someone else is driving it
Don’t try to keep up with the Joneses. I have seen people make the mistake of buying cars because they’ve seen a few people driving it or their neighbour has one. So, they just conclude that for that person to be able to maintain it, they too can also maintain it. On the contrary, you don’t know if that person you are admiring is suffering (going through Premium Shegé – Pro Max) and smiling with that car. You also don’t know his/her financial capacity and source(s) of income. So please always take your car research beyond the fact that someone else is able to maintain a car because you might not know exactly what he/she is actually going through as stated.

8. I want my car to be one in town
There is nothing as satisfying as driving a one in town car with your car being so unique that it turns heads wherever you go. However, don’t forget our common saying - “one in town car, one in town problem”. Therefore, you should tread with caution.

You need to research a reliable site/car repair centre and availability of parts. You also need a sure contact that can help you get the parts abroad when needed, as well as a Bureau De Change guy that will be giving you good dollar exchange rate. Albeit there is a way to play safe with using a unique car; what some people do is, they buy a regular car like a Toyota Camry or a Benz E-Class then they modify (love-vendor) it by changing some components such as the lights, bumpers, grills etc. However, you have to do this with care so as to not overdo it and eventually mess the car up, making it look somewhat ugly.

9. Using all your last kobo to buy a car
This problem speaks for itself. Always remember, the car will need some care after purchase especially if it is Nigerian used as you’re most likely going to be using up money for whatever procedure that may arise. I am sure you’ve seen people who buy a car and start to ask around for money to do basic things after only a couple of weeks. Some buyers may even start depending on other people for food to eat and declare bankruptcy after they get the first repair bill from their mechanic.

Do tell us. Have you experienced any of the aforementioned in the past, or present?

https://autohub.ng/blog/%ef%bb%bf9-mistakes-car-buyers-in-nigeria-usually-make/

i would never buy my first car solely all by myself, without involving a mechanic insight,thanks goodness I have about 4 of my acquaintance that are mechanics

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by AfonjaPriest: 10:31pm On Aug 04, 2023
Suchworld:
Beloved, please don't just scroll pass, please can any kind hearted person please assist me with little money to get drugs. Am seriously down with malaria and typhoid, and I don't have a dime on me to eat or buy medicine am running temperature please.cant die in silence please help me in any little way. May you never lack anything in this life. Amen.
Please my name is Angela
G.TBank
Red flag. Disclaimer. Persona non grata.
This person, known as Angela, has all these names for just one account in GTBank:
Ann, Anne, AngelaUbi, Anngela, Angella, Anna, Angela, Angela Ubi, Angelah, etc.
He is a serial criminal scammer and is here to promote his begging advert scam.
Go to your church or mosque to beg and stop using different monikers on NAIRALAND to swindle people.
You have used over 50 monikers to beg. If you are genuine, you should have been known with one moniker. Using many is a clear indication you are a fraud.
The way I see it, you'll soon get deliverance from the Devil. Keep thinking you are deceiving people. There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed; covered that will not be opened.
The great day of your revelation is at hand. Be expectant, because surely it will come.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by computerglobal(m): 2:56am On Aug 05, 2023

Instant Comprehensive Vehicle History Report

Recovery Of Lost Custom Papers(Instant)

Custom Duty Verification((Instant)

Contact us on Whats-app now . Just a click away.

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068
www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Abdulsaddiq: 3:23am On Aug 05, 2023
Where was this post earlier 🤕

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Khastro(m): 7:59am On Aug 05, 2023
AutoHubNG:
If you’re thinking of buying a car in Nigeria, whether foreign or Nigerian used; you need to be careful not to make any of the mistakes listed in this article.
You're so correct. I bought mine cos of the interiors and exterior, but did not check the central lock wiring. That was a huge undoing

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by j0rdannkyle: 8:13am On Aug 05, 2023
Typing:

He is an old scammer on this forum.

The person na guy abi na girl? Everyday I dey see that post. Very annoying beggars
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Typing: 9:15am On Aug 05, 2023
j0rdannkyle:

The person na guy abi na girl? Everyday I dey see that post. Very annoying beggars

Na Man. He has been scamming innocent members here for over 8 years now. With the same post, but different account.
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Emeka71(m): 9:36am On Aug 05, 2023
DevilishMan:
10. Buying cars from yahoo boys.
He ran down for a reason. Be careful.
So right.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Ebuka19977(m): 10:47am On Aug 05, 2023
I just want something that will start when I want it to and take me where ever I want it to take me to
AutoHubNG:

1. Buying in a haste
Buying a car is totally different from buying toy cars at a shopping mall’s toy section where kids spot the toy of their choice, point a finger and it’s theirs in a minute or under. And as we all know; the kid might even end up damaging the toy before the next day.

Now, we are talking about buying a real car with your hard-earned money. So don’t rush, take your time, compare prices and do all the necessary checks before making the purchase.

Awoof has purged many car buyers on several occasions. I always tell people “the cheapest car is not necessarily the best deal”. It is a bad idea to save ₦500,000 only to buy a car that has just been rebuilt from a terrible accident with deployed airbags and damaged suspensions not properly repaired. The sad news is some people buy these cars only to end up spending a lot more on further or recurring repairs. Worst still, they could end up being involved in ghastly motor accidents. Some others end up in jail for buying ridiculously cheap cars which happened to be stolen vehicles.

We all know there’s always a strong urge to maximise profit(s) by any means necessary, but we should more often than not, try our possible best to resist said urge as it will serve us well in the long run. As the adage goes – “Penny wise, Pound foolish.”

Many of us are guilty of this. We buy a car because it has a clean exterior and beautiful aesthetics (maybe from a slick paint job and or customised bumpers/grills/wheels/side sills/spoilers etc.). I fell victim to this when I bought my first car and it started dealing with me severely after 6 months. A friend of mine bought a Toyota SUV in Lagos but by the time he got to Uyo with the car, he realised he had bought a vehicle with a faulty engine and said engine of the SUV broke down completely within the first 3 months. To add salt to injury, Nigerian Customs seized the SUV immediately after he eventually changed the engine. Wahala Wahala Wahala...

If you show that you are desperately in love or in need of a car to a seller, then you may have just signed a “one chance” certificate. The next thing they will tell you is, someone else is coming to pay for the car this evening. So, you won’t have a choice but to pay hurriedly. You may end up paying more for the car and you may not have sufficient time to carry out a thorough inspection of the vehicle.

Proper checks include test driving, VIN check, diagnostic scan, verifying customs and vehicle papers, etc. Endeavour you thoroughly inspect any- and every- aspect of the vehicle to save yourself from future headaches. “A stich in time, saves nine” as they say.

Most buyers, more often than not - want the more recent version of a particular model/brand.

Take for example the ubiquitous Toyota Corolla 2005/2006 model (irrefutable as at the time of citing this example), the last version of that model - 2008, has the same design and most of the features from the earliest version – 2003, but the preference is much higher for the former despite costing more. So, if you are particular about saving cost, you may be better off with the 2003 model instead of buying a refurbished 2008 model.

The difference in both cars may not be commensurate to the difference in pricing and this also applies to many other brands and models alike.

Don’t try to keep up with the Joneses. I have seen people make the mistake of buying cars because they’ve seen a few people driving it or their neighbour has one. So, they just conclude that for that person to be able to maintain it, they too can also maintain it. On the contrary, you don’t know if that person you are admiring is suffering (going through Premium Shegé – Pro Max) and smiling with that car. You also don’t know his/her financial capacity and source(s) of income. So please always take your car research beyond the fact that someone else is able to maintain a car because you might not know exactly what he/she is actually going through as stated.

There is nothing as satisfying as driving a one in town car with your car being so unique that it turns heads wherever you go. However, don’t forget our common saying - “one in town car, one in town problem”. Therefore, you should tread with caution.

You need to research a reliable site/car repair centre and availability of parts. You also need a sure contact that can help you get the parts abroad when needed, as well as a Bureau De Change guy that will be giving you good dollar exchange rate. Albeit there is a way to play safe with using a unique car; what some people do is, they buy a regular car like a Toyota Camry or a Benz E-Class then they modify (love-vendor) it by changing some components such as the lights, bumpers, grills etc. However, you have to do this with care so as to not overdo it and eventually mess the car up, making it look somewhat ugly.

This problem speaks for itself. Always remember, the car will need some care after purchase especially if it is Nigerian used as you’re most likely going to be using up money for whatever procedure that may arise. I am sure you’ve seen people who buy a car and start to ask around for money to do basic things after only a couple of weeks. Some buyers may even start depending on other people for food to eat and declare bankruptcy after they get the first repair bill from their mechanic.

Do tell us. Have you experienced any of the aforementioned in the past, or present?

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Adesina18111(m): 11:24am On Aug 05, 2023
Glad to read this...it really helped...

Please what car/SUV can one buy with 3-3.5M that can be maintained easily and save unnecessary headaches....

Advice urgently needed please

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by jimmynauty: 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2023
AutoHubNG:

1. Buying in a haste

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:23pm On Aug 05, 2023
Some dealers will tell you the truth though but most of our people don’t deserve the truth. I once had a client that requested for a good car with a low budget, I told him cheap cars are cheap for a reason. I turned the offer down because I can’t guarantee whatever that budget will get him only for him to go and buy one packaged rubbish and started complaining.
negaiyke:
This is Sooo mee

3 months Ago, I fell yakata for No. 1, 4 and 9 cry

Sold it off under 1 month undecided

Never again tongue

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:25pm On Aug 05, 2023
Get a well maintained Nigerian used. Target Japa deals. Don’t look for the cheap ones ooo so that you won’t be carrying Uber to the mechanic workshop to fix it everytime 😂
hefelove:
Please I’m looking for a car to drive on Uber o

2 Likes

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:28pm On Aug 05, 2023
For me, the exterior of a car is not as important as the mechanical part of the car. Engine must be sound, Gear must select without stress and AC must be fine. Don’t fall for AC lies like it just need gas, tell him to go and fix it so that you won’t end up doing a complete change of the AC system.
Atarakpa:
I fall for no3 last month on this stupid accident highlander.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:30pm On Aug 05, 2023
I think luck plays a role too, if you like go with master lee, if you will end up with eba you will end up with it. Just do your due diligence. Some mechanics will do a proper job for you while some will strike a deal with the seller for settlement and pass the car.
Okortor:
Buying a car without going with a good gear master, not just going with a random mechanic because most mechanics are quack!

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2023
U too dey vex
Angrygoat:
No car is bad. Its nigeria.
From bad roads,bad fuel mixed with kerosene and water,fake plugs,reworked shocks sold as toks,fake fuel pump,just name it. Fake mobil 1. Nigeria is cursed
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:33pm On Aug 05, 2023
Sorry for this bro
ORIAYO70:

Though this is coming late but God will add 60yrs to ur 80yrs of age lol.

If I had read ur analysis I would not have lost 2.2m my last saving on a dead car

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:36pm On Aug 05, 2023
Are you looking at toks Honda CRV or registered?
Satazaa:
thanks bro, I can relate with this, I just bought a 2010 hybrid and clean Honda civic and didn't bother about the roads around my area because I was only motivated by it's low fuel consumption, but I am now looking for a Honda CRV 08 as a replacement
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:40pm On Aug 05, 2023
If you have a good mechanic that can do the conversion for you perfectly, it’s fine. But I’ll suggest you just get the direct RHD. My friend works with JRL solihull plant. They make RHD there too.
Babaken:
@ Op and the car expert in the building is it advisable to buy UK that come with LHD and get all necessary components converte it to RHD is there any danger or what are the disadvantage of such car.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by ViceGovernor: 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2023
Nice article Op 👍🏾

I don dey beg God for Camry since 2015 no answer 🥺
Like this now na only okada I need
God I don reduce the prayer point please pick call 🤲🏽

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Megaautos(m): 2:44pm On Aug 05, 2023
There is no toks SUV for that price unless you are looking at a registered Honda CRV (07-08)or Highlander(2004-05)
Adesina18111:
Glad to read this...it really helped...

Please what car/SUV can one buy with 3-3.5M that can be maintained easily and save unnecessary headaches....

Advice urgently needed please
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by goldencomets: 7:38am On Aug 06, 2023
Zionmdde:

Sorry bro
My former car showed me so much shege that I dodge any road that had bumps because people must hear the scratching on the bump. Or is it climbing down those places with slopes

Terrible cars

Please which car was that?
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Zionmdde: 11:52am On Aug 06, 2023
goldencomets:

Please which car was that?
Corolla sport
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by yak(m): 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2023
Megaautos:
Are you looking at toks Honda CRV or registered?
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by yak(m): 9:36pm On Aug 13, 2023
Satazaa:
thanks bro, I can relate with this, I just bought a 2010 hybrid and clean Honda civic and didn't bother about the roads around my area because I was only motivated by it's low fuel consumption, but I am now looking for a Honda CRV 08 as a replacement

Is your civic for sale now?
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Correct05: 5:22am On Aug 14, 2023
U nail it all
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Correct05: 5:25am On Aug 14, 2023
U nail it all. quote author=AutoHubNG post=124874917]If you’re thinking of buying a car in Nigeria, whether foreign or Nigerian used; you need to be careful not to make any of the mistakes listed in this article.

1. Buying in a haste

[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos Of A Man Washing His Car In A Flooded Rivers Road / Honda Accord (evil Spirit) VS Toyota Avalon / Check Out The Mercedes G-Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.