Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,357 members, 7,888,132 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:08 PM

Apart From Fuel Subsidy, Which Other Dividend Of Democracy Have We Enjoyed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apart From Fuel Subsidy, Which Other Dividend Of Democracy Have We Enjoyed? (486 Views)

Savings From Fuel Subsidy Removal Rises To N647m Daily / Foreign Suppliers Blacklist Nigeria From Fuel Imports / AMCON Returns Capital Oil To TAN Coordinator!! Dividend Of Jonatan's Largesse. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Apart From Fuel Subsidy, Which Other Dividend Of Democracy Have We Enjoyed? by mcgboye(m): 6:34pm On Oct 11, 2011
I know some people are going to massacre me for this, but as I sat in the office waiting for a free ride home, I ask myself: "apart from fuel subsidy, which other dividends of democracy can our governments over the years legitimately claim to have given the masses?".
It is what makes the planned removal of this same subsidy both unimaginable and unaccpetable. The govertment of course have given reasons why it makes sense to take this step, yet it smacks of double-standard to do this when there are a plethora of avenue where governments can source for funds.The issue of the overbloated cabinets have been overflogged and therefore needs no revisiting, but over and above all these is the issue of our refineries not working. The same reasons being given by this government were given by past administrations, yet none of them was able to solve the main issue. Of course we will continue to look at trivial issues instead of focusing (and of course solving the key issue).
And I have long decided: I will NEVER find an excuse for any politican. None of them deserves it. They are living in so much affluence that they should be able to come uo with more workable solutions to our numerous challenges. And removal of fuel subsidy is only going to make more money available to the governments to share and embezzle. Of course it means exchange rate (and by implication, inflation) will go up. Prices of foodstuff, rent, bus fares etc will increase in astronomical proportions. It is only a theory, but then it is backed by antecedents.
It is something we cannot afford at this time people are groaning in pain.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News State Of Health In Nigeria_mini Documentary.avi / Sallah: Plateau Residents Stay Indoors •for Fear Of Possible Attack •security Be / Buhari Is Not Playing Politics With The Development And Future Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.