Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,142 members, 7,880,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 09:32 PM

Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me (933 Views)

Moman Shares 12 Ways To Reduce Your Fuel Consumption By At Least 30% / Your Fuel Pump May Not Be Bad!! / How To Save Your Fuel By 85% When You Don't Have Enough Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by fineboynl(m): 7:58pm On Aug 12, 2023
I have carried out this very vital research. Unlike the popular believe that AC will not consume your fuel it’s false.

If you lower the ac to over 65 it will consume very little and the difference will not be notice like that. But between 62-65 you will notice the difference.

if you put it 57 to 60 it will consume alot fuel. And if you set it on LO Low. Obey That one will just drink your fuel like stroll pipe.

If you don’t want it to eat your fuel at all just put it at 75. It will not cool the car like that but will only just make it comfortable.

Test was done with accord.

1 Like

Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by theadeola(m): 9:12pm On Aug 12, 2023
I don't understand these figures. Are they thermostat temperatures or what?

3 Likes

Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by fineboynl(m): 10:39pm On Aug 12, 2023
theadeola:
I don't understand these figures. Are they thermostat temperatures or what?
its what is on the accord. I guess it in fahrenheit.

If set 75 fahrenheit. The car will not cool like that but just comfortable. It will not eat any fuel. But 60 will be madly cold but end up using fuel.
Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by Conner44: 2:40am On Aug 13, 2023
Yes nice observation, you’re right. What actually causes the increased fuel consumption is mainly the compressor. Once the compressor clutch engages and it starts rolling it will put its load on the engine and make it use more power hence the need for more fuel.

What triggers the compressor clutch to engage and disengage is the thermostat. So since you have been setting your air conditioner to a relatively mild temperature the thermostat will only keep the compressor engaged till the temperature inside the vehicle reaches the one you set for it. Once it gets there the thermostat will trigger the compressor clutch to disengage and stay disengaged till the thermometer inside the dashboard tells the thermostat that the cabin temp has changed by a few degrees then the thermostat will immediately trigger the compressor on again to provide cool air.

That you set a mild value for your cabin temperature means your compressor stays on for shorter durations at a time and therefore shouldn’t make you consume as much fuel as compared to if you had set your cabin temp very low.

5 Likes

Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by fineboynl(m): 7:56am On Aug 13, 2023
Conner44:
Yes nice observation, you’re right. What actually causes the increased fuel consumption is mainly the compressor. Once the compressor clutch engages and it starts rolling it will put its load on the engine and make it use more power hence the need for more fuel.

What triggers the compressor clutch to engage and disengage is the thermostat. So since you have been setting your air conditioner to a relatively mild temperature the thermostat will only keep the compressor engaged till the temperature inside the vehicle reaches the one you set for it. Once it gets there the thermostat will trigger the compressor clutch to disengage and stay disengaged till the thermometer inside the dashboard tells the thermostat that the cabin temp has changed by a few degrees then the thermostat will immediately trigger the compressor on again to provide cool air.

That you set a mild value for your cabin temperature means your compressor stays on for shorter durations at a time and therefore shouldn’t make you consume as much fuel as compared to if you had set your cabin temp very low.

i think you are correct on this. But I don’t know about other cars. But the accord compressor is more like an inverter compressor. I believe it has a set of gear engagement for different temperature range set. Assin The lower your set the temperature the higher the load the compressor engaged. Because the cold vent is not the same cold air coming out if say you set it at 60 and or 75F.

In inverter ac for example the compressor operate in 3 different wattss. 300watt 600watt and 900watt. During 300 watts the air is not as cold as 600watts or 900watts.
Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by theadeola(m): 3:01pm On Aug 13, 2023
fineboynl:
its what is on the accord. I guess it in fahrenheit.

If set 75 fahrenheit. The car will not cool like that but just comfortable. It will not eat any fuel. But 60 will be madly cold but end up using fuel.

Oh, okay. Pls what year of accord is this?
Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by senator2k9(m): 11:10am On Aug 20, 2023
Where do u guys get this lay men analysis from.??

Set ur car to a low cool, ur compressor works continuously till it gets to the minimum cabin temperature before it shuts off. Set ur car to a high cool, it cools faster and the thermostat shuts off faster.

Ac has little or negligible influence on fuel consumption. U don't on Ac but u carry 4 passengers in ur car is still heaping load on the engine same way like u on u our ac and u are alone in your car.
Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by theadeola(m): 11:24am On Aug 20, 2023
senator2k9:
Where do u guys get this lay men analysis from.??

Set ur car to a low cool, ur compressor works continuously till it gets to the minimum cabin temperature before it shuts off. Set ur car to a high cool, it cools faster and the thermostat shuts off faster.

Ac has little or negligible influence on fuel consumption. U don't on Ac but u carry 4 passengers in ur car is still heaping load on the engine same way like u on u our ac and u are alone in your car.

Lol, AC has an impact on fuel consumption o. The load the engine carries is more when AC is on, and this means more work is being done. More work being done means more fuel being used.

Depending on how well run your engine is, the impact may be night and day, or may be just a little. But it definitely impacts your fuel consumption.
Re: Ac Will Consume Your Fuel. Research Done By Me by DukeNija(m): 3:13pm On Aug 20, 2023
theadeola:

Lol, AC has an impact on fuel consumption o. The load the engine carries is more when AC is on, and this means more work is being done. More work being done means more fuel being used.

Depending on how well run your engine is, the impact may be night and day, or may be just a little. But it definitely impacts your fuel consumption.

You’re both right. Vehicle weight, cargo weight, passenger weight, AC all have an impact on the fuel consumption. Wahala for who carry plenty load come add AC load join. You go explain tire.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Traffic Rules And Regulations / Pls Advice On Volkswagen Bug / How good is Nissan Maxima 2002/2003 model?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.