Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,951 members, 7,915,786 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 10:29 AM

Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) (27425 Views)

Pharmacists' (Students & Professionals) Point / Chartered Economists Certificate Scandal, Please Beware ! / Institute Of Chartered Economists Of Nigeria (ICEN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by chamber2(m): 11:13am On Feb 22, 2012
^^^

I think it's mostly finance and lack of awareness. Most Nigerian graduates are not bothered much about University ranking, they just want to study abroad no matter where. Also, there are lots of scholarship opportunities for engineering and most science related programmes hence the relative larger number. That cannot be said of economics/finance programmes where a very large number of people compete for very few scholarship opportunities.

Another thing is the GRE/GMAT thingy. Most Engineering grads are very good at scoring very high in these exams, and that makes it a bit easier for them to be admitted into top programmes. An average econs/finance grad in Nigeria will likely struggle to score above 600 in the GRE and that hinders the likelihood of being accepted into top US programmes.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by tanimola22: 11:40am On Feb 22, 2012
Well, I roughly agree with you. I agree that a typical finance program in the US only admits about 8-10 students each year, out of about 300+ applicants, making it extremely competitive. However, top economics programs all admit at least 22 students each year, with more than half of the admitted students receiving fully funded offers.

I am forced to go with your point on lack of awareness. I don't think an above average naija economics graduate will try the GRE twice or thrice and not get a good score that will enable him/her land a very nice fully funded program in the US. I mean, there are many economics departments in Naija universities and the law of large numbers tells me that the higher the number, the higher the chance of getting things right.

There should be more awareness. Economics profs should encourage their students to apply to top universities abroad. The profs should desist from assuming that the students will be their competitors in the near future. The GRE is what can be written again and again until a desired score is achieved. The profs should let their students know this fact, and even force all interested students to sit the GRE for as many times as they want. And of course, the economics departments should be willing to pay (or at least partly pay) for the GRE and TOEFL registration fees for these students.

I agree that some schools look at the number of times a student had previously taken the GRE, but I can confidently tell you that not all schools frown as this strategy. Research profs know that consistency is one of the keys to successfully completing a PhD, and taking the GRE until a desired score is achieved is one of the ways of demonstrating this consistency.

It may surprise you to know that some of these top schools (in the US O, not the UK wey need money) don`t admit students they can't fund, at least for PhD in economics. It would gladden me to start seeing our economics graduates take advantage of this opportunity and get admitted to those almost impossible schools.

It is very possible, even without having money beyond GRE, TOEFL and application fees.

T22
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by chamber2(m): 12:09pm On Feb 22, 2012
I am forced to go with your point on lack of awareness. I don't think an above average naija economics graduate will try the GRE twice or thrice and not get a good score that will enable him/her land a very nice fully funded program in the US. I mean, there are many economics departments in Naija universities and the law of large numbers tells me that the higher the number, the higher the chance of getting things right.

Yes, but how many of our graduates are willing to try that number of times? Most quit after the first trial. That is the harsh reality.

[b]There should be more awareness. Economics profs should encourage their students to apply to top universities abroad. [/b]The profs should desist from assuming that the students will be their competitors in the near future. The GRE is what can be written again and again until a desired score is achieved. The profs should let their students know this fact, and even force all interested students to sit the GRE for as many times as they want. And of course, the economics departments should be willing to pay (or at least partly pay) for the GRE and TOEFL registration fees for these students.

That's really one of the defects of the Nigerian universities-lack of career counseling. Most of the Nigerian graduates merely follow the crowd and there is little or no effort by the profs to guide their students on the path to choose after school. Most of the guys you see in the top engineering programmes in the US are guys who came from middle class families, where dad and mum may have studied abroad and are deeply aware of the opportunities outside the shores. These few students, even before gaining admission into 9ja schools, knew what awaits them upon graduation. Mum, dad or in most cases their elder ones are always there to guide and advise them appropriately. Others who may not be that fortunate wallow in ignorance .

And of course, the economics departments should be willing to pay (or at least partly pay) for the GRE and TOEFL registration fees for these students

Bros, na 9ja we dey talk o, not even Ghana. No economics dept will be ready to invest in such ''frivolous'' venture. In a country where lecturers are poorly paid and the level of motivation very low, it will be difficult (not impossible) to see an econs dept that will be ready to fund student's external exams. I don't know what obtains at UNILAG, UI and OAU, but in my school nobody will listen to you.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Rudewaterz(m): 8:43am On Feb 25, 2012
WOW! A fresh undergraduate here. . .previously eagerly looking forward to attending his first EVER Econs lecture on Monday. Poor in maths. Now, I'm thinking, ''WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU GOTTEN YOURSELF INTO!'' God help me.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by tanimola22: 3:16pm On Feb 25, 2012
^^^^

As you are very young and fresh, I encourage you to like that damn maths! If you want to go far in economics of nowadays, you must have an average knowledge of calculus, differential equations, statistics, non-measure theory probability and algebra.

Make sure you ace all of your eco-math courses. I really want you to work very hard because you have a clean slate at the moment. If you hope to pursue economics up to the highest possible level, you have to work really hard and smart now. If you don't work hard to earn very nice grades now, you will almost surely not be able to land yourself in a top economics program in the future.

Go and start working hard. Love mathematics just as you love economics. And welcome to the field of economic policy technicians.

T22
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Rudewaterz(m): 9:51pm On Feb 25, 2012
^^^wise words. Thanks a lot for the tips. Will try my hardest.
tanimola22:

^^^^

As you are very young and fresh, I encourage you to like that damn maths! If you want to go far in economics of nowadays, you must have an average knowledge of calculus, differential equations, statistics, non-measure theory probability and algebra.

Make sure you ace all of your eco-math courses. I really want you to work very hard because you have a clean slate at the moment. If you hope to pursue economics up to the highest possible level, you have to work really hard and smart now. If you don't work hard to earn very nice grades now, you will almost surely not be able to land yourself in a top economics program in the future.

Go and start working hard. Love mathematics just as you love economics. And welcome to the field of economic policy technicians.

T22

wise words. Thank you very much for the tips. Will try my hardest!
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by skillet(m): 1:27pm On Feb 27, 2012
sorry to point the obvious, but it seems that economics as a society- dependant discipline (ie social science) is plagued by so much politics and societal orientation wink, that it actually becomes an inept tool for tranformation. in other words: what will be , will be. especially if it is the will of the powers that be. what do you think, collegues?
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by chamber2(m): 2:34pm On Feb 27, 2012
^^^

Are you an economist? Abeg break this your grammar down grin
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by skillet(m): 3:24pm On Feb 27, 2012
thank you chamber.

i majored in economics minored in education.

what am saying is this: economists are pushed and are forced to follow anywhere the wind blows. be it political winds or other societal winds. economists are only called in to "fix the problem". (examples are okonjo iweala etc).

when these problems were being created why were our hands tied? where they tied? i saw somewhere on the thread someone says economists can make a career in policy making. that is actually for politicians and lobbyists in nigeria and no place for career economists.

with the red tape around all nigerian activities, without strong political will backing the economists, nothing will happen.

sorry for the grammer. na so dem teach me. cheesy
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 27, 2013
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by sixteen08(m): 11:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
Jarus: Let me chip in some things on career prospects of an Economics graduate.

The greatest advantage you have if you read Economics for your first degree is marketability and versatility.
This stands it high ahead of other Social Sciences and management disciplines.
Many job adverts extend their requirements net to cover Economics, sometimes even when not directly related to Economics. So this means, with other factors like your class of degree and self-development, you stand high chance of getting job.

As an economics grad, you can tread a career path in the following areas:
Banking: You stand a high chance of getting bank job if you read Economics, even far ahead of someone that read Banking. This is because banking profession goes beyond banking industry knowledge to include the knowledge of teh workings of teh whole macro economy. This is why an economist stands a better chance of faring better in banking profession than a professional banker. My childhood dream was to become a banker(my mentor then was Dr. Femi Adekanye, CEO of the now defunct Commerce Bank), so when completing my UME form, I chose Banking, but my brother, then a banking officer in an investment bank now a GM in that now enlarged bank, advised met to choose Economics instead of banking as Economics subsumes Banking plus other things. I reluctantly effected the change in my form and settled for a school where Economics was offered. That's one of the Top 3 decisions I have ever taken in my life as Economicsoffered me a wider choice when I graduated. Although, along the line in university I lost interest in banking, but thankfully I wasn't studying banking, I was studying what was more than banking.

It is also noteworthy that before the boom in banking industry in mid-2000's when banking jobs became an all-discipline affair, when Science and Engineering grads who were better in taking aptitude tests, but whose line had very little to absorb, swarmed into the banking industry and outmuscled the Econs & related grads for the jobs, Nigerian banking industry was dominated by Economists and economics graduates. Most of the men that ruled Nigeria's banking industry in the 70s to 90s have economics background. So banking is traditionally one of the most attractive career destinations for Econs grad.

Everywhere I see you,you are always a blessing
God bless U
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Jarus(m): 12:18am On Mar 29, 2013
sixteen08:

Everywhere I see you,you are always a blessing
God bless U

Thanks. You may regularly check out my blog: www.jarushub.com
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by sixteen08(m): 8:28am On Mar 29, 2013
Jarus:

Thanks. You may regularly check out my blog: www.jarushub.com

...been doing that for a while *thumbs up*

1 Like

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Nobody: 9:40am On May 08, 2013
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 17, 2013
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by welshv: 2:11am On May 22, 2013
International economics is actually more encompassing than the other ones u mention. Dia is no way u won't know monetary if u do international economics.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 08, 2013
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by oladayo042: 8:17pm On Jun 09, 2013
Good evening all.

An Economics undergrad here (graduating this month). I love Maths and every other course that involves calculation (Statistics, Econometrics, etc) to a fault. All these have been A courses for me right from my 100 level days. So I think I have an edge in quantitative aspects and I will like to specialize in Econometrics. Please what are the career prospects in that field?

Also, I love the US version of Economics (quantitative) more than the Asian version though the gulf between fees in these two climes may tempt me to go to Asia. How much does a GRE cost? Are there scholarship opportunities that I can exploit in top US or Canada schools?

Replies would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by oladayo042: 8:42pm On Jun 09, 2013
decode: Where can one download E-views and Stata?
I have the setup for both but I don't have enough data to upload them now. Both are very close to 300MB.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by drexx(m): 8:19am On Jun 10, 2013
Reading mathematics and economics now in uniben. 200 level. Do I stand any chance against the real Economics graduate in the job market. Also I am intending to take up some professional qualifications before I graduate, which one is most advisable. ICAN? Stumbled on a site of Institute Of Chartered Economist Of Nigeria. Is this body legal? Answers needed pls in order to plot a career path urgently
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by oladayo042: 10:14am On Jun 10, 2013
^^^^^
ICEN is an illegal body swindling unsuspecting victims who just want to attach 'Chartered' to their title. Nigeria Economics Society (NES) has already sued them and the case is still on. From what NES claimed, ICEN was started and being run by two blood brothers who are not even Economists. NES still remain the only credible body for Economists but I don't have much details about their student membership but I was told it exists.

About Eco-Maths vs Eco, I have no idea cos I'm a student myself.

Have a nice day.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by sixteen08(m): 10:48am On Jun 10, 2013
drexx: Reading mathematics and economics now in uniben. 200 level. Do I stand any chance against the real Economics graduate in the job market. Also I am intending to take up some professional qualifications before I graduate, which one is most advisable. ICAN? Stumbled on a site of Institute Of Chartered Economist Of Nigeria. Is this body legal? Answers needed pls in order to plot a career path urgently

You can effectively compete with any economics graduate in as much as you know your economics courses very well. Another edge you'll have is the mathematics which is combined with your degree (because it gives you a much more robust quantitative background).

I'll suggest you go for ICAN because you stand more chance in the labour market particularly in the financial sector.If you add a professional qualification like ICAN to a Bsc in Maths and Econs(preferably a 2:1 and 26yrs max), chances of getting a job in a top notch consulting firm(KPMG,Deloitte,PWC etc),bank,oil company,investment bank and a FMCG company will be high.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by drexx(m): 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
sixteen08:

You can effectively compete with any economics graduate in as much as you know your economics courses very well. Another edge you'll have is the mathematics which is combined with your degree (because it gives you a much more robust quantitative background).

I'll suggest you go for ICAN because you stand more chance in the labour market particularly in the financial sector.If you add a professional qualification like ICAN to a Bsc in Maths and Econs(preferably a 2:1 and 26yrs max), chances of getting a job in a top notch consulting firm(KPMG,Deloitte,PWC etc),bank,oil company,investment bank and a FMCG company will be high.
Thanks so much. You have given a young brother hope. All I have to do now is study hard, plan well and move ahead. Appreciated
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by profstar(m): 12:47am On Jun 11, 2013
Economics in my own term is the reality of life in relation to time and scarcity

1 Like

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by profstar(m): 12:51am On Jun 11, 2013
Rudewaterz: WOW! A fresh undergraduate here. . .previously eagerly looking forward to attending his first EVER Econs lecture on Monday. Poor in maths. Now, I'm thinking, ''WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU GOTTEN YOURSELF INTO!'' God help me.
if by now you still think negative of maths, i will advice you to better leave economics before it's too late and you are stock in it, other mathsless department are there waiting for you like marketing etc.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 24, 2013
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by KayEnn(m): 12:35am On Jun 28, 2013
I'm an Economics graduate from a Turkish University and definitely going for a Masters program in International Economics by September this year in Germany but the problem is by the time I'm done with my maters program, I must have clocked 31 years. At 31, would you advice me to go back home for ICAN certifications or develop my career here in Europe? Do you see age as a barrier when it comes to competition for getting employed? What can I do generally to make my Resume Juicy? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Admitwithschola: 2:37pm On Jun 28, 2013
KayEnn: I'm an Economics graduate from a Turkish University and definitely going for a Masters program in International Economics by September this year in Germany but the problem is by the time I'm done with my maters program, I must have clocked 31 years. At 31, would you advice me to go back home for ICAN certifications or develop my career here in Europe? Do you see age as a barrier when it comes to competition for getting employed? What can I do generally to make my Resume Juicy? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi,
No need going for anything Economics again since your sole aim is to do salary work. Development finance will be more reasonable and should help to broaden your reach. However, if you must do Economics, make sure you make 1 or 1.3 or at worst 1.7 out of 5 (German system is opposite—1 is the highest and 5 is the smallest). This will help you continue your studies at good schools in America or there in Europe. Meanwhile, you can begin ACCA there in Europe, instead of coming to naija to begin ICAN from the scratch. If they write ICAN where you are now, then you can take it there. The goal is for you to not wait till you reach naija before you begin a professional exam. If you do so, you will have wasted time.
There is no guarantee that you will or will not get a job when you do eventually return to Nigeria at 31. However, one thing you need to know is that there are people that are way below 31 years old, with master’s and professional qualifications, who are yet to get reasonable jobs. There is no hard and fast rule to getting a job in Nigeria. You just need to be lucky, well-prepared and favoured by God. It becomes more likely when you have well connected people who are willing to assist you.. But connection alone does not guarantee anything. You need to hold your own too.

If you can, I suggest you start your career abroad. If you come back straight to naija and have not had previous work experience, many, not all, companies will price you below 150K Naira per month. And I think they are fair because the reality is that someone with a graduate degree and no experience hardly has anything to offer nowadays, except the job is research based, similar to what I do. That is only when your academic research skills will come in helpfully handy.
There was a time when a master’s from naija landed people assistant manager position, but unfortunately that era seems to have passed. The only time such is very possible, in my view, is when one has a graduate degree from one of those fancy schools abroad..But,…people with such fancy degrees won’t come to naija and compete for 300k per month job.

Finally, I selectively give professional and academic advice for a fee. That is why my user name is admitwithschola. I am planning on going large scale and charging good money. My success rate over the years has been huge. You may just be one of my clients someday.

Admit.

1 Like

Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by KayEnn(m): 9:41pm On Jun 29, 2013
Admitwithschola:

Hi,
No need going for anything Economics again since your sole aim is to do salary work. Development finance will be more reasonable and should help to broaden your reach. However, if you must do Economics, make sure you make 1 or 1.3 or at worst 1.7 out of 5 (German system is opposite—1 is the highest and 5 is the smallest). This will help you continue your studies at good schools in America or there in Europe. Meanwhile, you can begin ACCA there in Europe, instead of coming to naija to begin ICAN from the scratch. If they write ICAN where you are now, then you can take it there. The goal is for you to not wait till you reach naija before you begin a professional exam. If you do so, you will have wasted time.
There is no guarantee that you will or will not get a job when you do eventually return to Nigeria at 31. However, one thing you need to know is that there are people that are way below 31 years old, with master’s and professional qualifications, who are yet to get reasonable jobs. There is no hard and fast rule to getting a job in Nigeria. You just need to be lucky, well-prepared and favoured by God. It becomes more likely when you have well connected people who are willing to assist you.. But connection alone does not guarantee anything. You need to hold your own too.

If you can, I suggest you start your career abroad. If you come back straight to naija and have not had previous work experience, many, not all, companies will price you below 150K Naira per month. And I think they are fair because the reality is that someone with a graduate degree and no experience hardly has anything to offer nowadays, except the job is research based, similar to what I do. That is only when your academic research skills will come in helpfully handy.
There was a time when a master’s from naija landed people assistant manager position, but un[color=#006600][/color]fortunately that era seems to have passed. The only time such is very possible, in my view, is when one has a graduate degree from one of those fancy schools abroad..But,…people with such fancy degrees won’t come to naija and compete for 300k per month job.

Finally, I selectively give professional and academic advice for a fee. That is why my user name is admitwithschola. I am planning on going large scale and charging good money. My success rate over the years has been huge. You may just be one of my clients someday.

Admit.

Thanks so much for your advice. I indeed appreciate every bit of it. When you talk about making a 1 or at least 1.7 so I could continue wif my studies in better schools, are you talking about getting a Phd? Considering my age, what do I stand to benefit from going for a doctorate degree as I don't have an intention of going into Academics? Another thing is, I have a National Diploma in Nautical Science and I'm also considering a masters degree in shipping Economics to complement my ND qualification but the major problem is that there is no major like that in Germany. There is in UK but I can't afford UK schools. For the development finance you recommended, I'm going to search for schools in same Germany almost immediately if I could get something like that. Thanks so much; Admit. You don't have an idea how helpful you're at this time. Thanks once again.
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by vicsteve: 8:51am On Jul 01, 2013
wc school is the best for masters degree in econs
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 01, 2013
Re: Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) by Jarus(m): 11:36am On Jul 01, 2013
Admitwithschola:

Hi,

There was a time when a master’s from naija landed people assistant manager position, but unfortunately that era seems to have passed. The only time such is very possible, in my view, is when one has a graduate degree from one of those fancy schools abroad..But,…people with such fancy degrees won’t come to naija and compete for 300k per month job.

Admit.

Nice one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Look Busy At Work Without Really Working / House, I Am Confused / 76-Year-Old Borno Civil Sevant Who Still Collects N675 As Pension (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.