Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,311 members, 7,900,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 03:42 PM

Are Vans Really Non Slip? A Comprehensive Test On 4 Surfaces - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are Vans Really Non Slip? A Comprehensive Test On 4 Surfaces (137 Views)

Air Jordan 4 Surfaces In University Blue / Andy Ruiz Splashed $1m On 4 Luxury Cars During His 6-month Reign As Boxing Champ / Ordega: Playing In 4 World Cups Helped Me Play In Leagues On 4 Continents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are Vans Really Non Slip? A Comprehensive Test On 4 Surfaces by buniondr(m): 5:48am On Aug 21, 2023
So, picture this: You've got your fresh new pair of Vans, and you're ready to conquer the world. But then, a niggling doubt creeps in - are these babies really non-slip? I mean, what's the point of stylish shoes if you're slipping and sliding like a penguin on ice? Don't worry, I've got your back.

I've been strutting around in Vans for over 15 years, and trust me, I've had my fair share of doubts too. That's why I decided to get down and dirty, putting Vans to the ultimate slip resistance test on four different surfaces. Buckle up as we dive into the world of Vans, and find out if they're truly the grip champions they claim to be.

The Science Behind Vans' Non-Slip Magic

Let's start at the beginning. Are Vans really non-slip, or is that just a marketing gimmick? Well, here's the scoop. Vans are indeed designed to keep you on your feet, thanks to their clever vulcanised rubber outsole. You see, skaters and folks working in slippery environments like restaurants needed something that could handle their hustle. So, Vans came up with a genius solution: the diamond and rhomboid pattern on the outsole.

According to the folks at Vans, this vulcanised rubber construction is all about providing killer grip and support, especially for those who spend their days shredding on a skateboard. And let's be honest, if they can keep skaters from wiping out, they can surely keep us steady on our feet, right?

Breaking Down the Rubber Magic

The rubber Vans uses is a top-tier material for slip resistance. They whip it up with a touch of sulphur before vulcanising it, making it extra tough. Then comes the iconic 'waffle' sole, sporting a mix of diamond and rhomboid patterns. These grooves aren't just for show; they're designed to amp up the traction. It's like having mini tire treads on your feet.

What's more, this pattern isn't just about looking cool – it's smart too. Those grooves help water, oils, and other sneaky liquids escape, leaving you with solid ground to walk on. That's right, even wet surfaces are no match for Vans' groove power.

The Midsole Magic

But the rubber wizardry doesn't stop at the outsole. The midsole is where the magic continues. Made from three layers of foxing tape rubber, it's like a gummy bear for your feet. This rubbery midsole brings the grip factor up a notch, whether you're climbing steps, strutting your stuff, or skating your heart out.

The Slip Test Results

Alright, time to dive into the juicy part – the slip test. I put my trusty Vans through the paces on four different surfaces to see if they're truly slip-resistant.

Concrete: A Solid Victory

Concrete is the everyday champion of surfaces. Dry conditions? No problem. Even a bit of skidding or running? Vans got you covered. Just watch out for moss or oil patches – those can turn even the slickest shoes into banana peels.

Tile: Taming the Tiles

If your life is all about tiles, rejoice! Vans are your perfect dance partners on this floor. They provide great slip resistance, even when you're pulling off some fancy footwork. Just be cautious around puddles and spills – you don't want your smooth moves to end in a splat.

Laminate Flooring: Slip-Proof and Shiny

Laminate can be a slippery beast, especially when wet. But fear not, because Vans aren't afraid of it. They grip admirably on dry laminate and hold their own on wet surfaces. Just remember, while you can clean with them, Olympic-level running and skidding might not end well.

Tarmac: Taming the Tarmac

Tarmac is like the supportive friend who's got your back. It already offers some traction, and when paired with Vans, it's a match made in grip heaven. Rain or shine, tarmac is your friend. Just be cautious around oil or grease spills – they can turn any surface into a skating rink.

Mastering the Art of Non-Slippage

Now, let's say you're an overachiever and want even more non-slip magic from your Vans. Here are a few tricks up your sleeve:

Extra Soles: Slip on an extra sole for maximum grip. Perfect for mopping or skating on wet terrain.
Scuff 'Em Up: New Vans can get a grip upgrade with a little scuffing action. Use a brick wall or sandpaper for the job.
Slip-Resistant Sprays: Want a quick fix? These sprays add adhesive magic to your Vans, boosting grip without any damage.
Ice Grips: Winter warriors, rejoice! Attach ice grips for top-notch traction on icy surfaces.
Non-Slip Pads: For those dealing with spills, non-slip pads are your secret weapon. They'll keep you steady even on the slipperiest floors.

FAQs: Your Burning Vans Questions, Answered

Q: Are Old Skool Vans Non-Slip?

A: Absolutely! Old Skool Vans rock a patterned, vulcanised gum rubber sole. Whether it's rain or shine, these babies got your back.

Q: Are Checkered Vans Non-Slip?

A: You bet! The waffle-style pattern on their vulcanised rubber soles is a grip masterstroke. Slip them on for a walk by the pool or a boat ride without any worries.

Wrapping It Up

So, there you have it. Vans are more than just stylish kicks – they're your trusty companions for a slip-free journey. Whether you're conquering concrete, taming tiles, mastering laminate, or strutting on tarmac, Vans have got your back. Just remember, even the slip-resistant champs have limits, so tread cautiously around those mossy patches and oily spills. Now you can step out with confidence, knowing that your Vans have you covered, no slip-ups allowed.

For more on all things Vans, check out: slip resistant vans

(1) (Reply)

Pep Guardiola To Miss Two Games Due To Operation / UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw: Key Dates, Draw Details, Who Has Qualifi / Panthers Vs Falcons Live | Stream 2023 Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.