Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,817 members, 7,921,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 03:02 PM

The Rest Is History...! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Rest Is History...! (131 Views)

Kogi: APC Is History, My Name Is Daniel, I Befriend & Subdue Lions- Dino Melaye / Peter OBI: Is History Repeating Itself ? / Hope Uzodimma: 50 Years After Ukpabi Asika – Is History Repeating Itself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Rest Is History...! by enemyofprogress: 11:43am On Aug 24, 2023
When Awolowo was sentenced to Prison, lots of Progressives were shocked, some died instantly, and some became sickly! Some people (Bishops, and Statesmen), went to beg the Central Government of Zik, and Balewa. The Government agreed to free Awolowo, but knowing fully well, that Awolowo would not agree, they said his wife, HID, must come to beg the Government, and after that, Awolowo would be freed. The aim was to put Awolowo's wife pictures, begging the Government, on front pages of major Newspapers.

The 'Eminent' men went to meet HID, and persuaded her, to beg the Government. HID thanked them all, but said she could only do that, if her husband permitted her, if not, she would not. Recall in 1986, similar offer was made to GMB's former wife, but she fell for it. Buhari later divorced her.

The Eminent men went to meet Awolowo in prison, and begged him to allow his wife, beg the Government. They cited many verses from the Bible (Read "My March through Prisons", or "Travails of Democracy", and the "Rule of Law", by Chief Obafemi Awolowo). Awolowo, in reply, thanked them very well, but declined. He said, "...my wife, beg who exactly? Will she kneel down, or prostrate? Beg for what offence exactly? That I plotted a Coup? That's ridiculous! You're Men of God, you should know that, God does not not encourage people to bow, to injustice...."

*Awolowo allegedly said, and I quote, "I believe I should not be in Prison, but here I am, the only Premier, that ended up in Prison, for no reason.* _*_If we are confused, about my innocence, let God be the Judge.*_
*_If truly I did what they accused me of, I will not come out of this prison alive, but if I am innocent, I will not spend my life here in prison, I will come out, and as the Lord lives, I won't meet any of those who conspired against me, alive..._* Thank you, Gentlemen, for your visit, I wish you journey mercies..."

By the time Awolowo was released from Prison, few years later, by Yakubu Gowon, all those that conspired to imprison him, Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Balewa, Akintola, and the rest, had been killed, in a Coup.

You live on the Earth, you eat rat, you live on the Earth, you eat fish, you live on the Earth, you do evil, the Judgement is in the Earth... Earth the killer!

The rest is history...!
Ayekoto Akindele

Re: The Rest Is History...! by smileyoo: 11:58am On Aug 24, 2023
That was when men were real men in Nigeria.
Re: The Rest Is History...! by HorlaMystic: 12:46pm On Aug 24, 2023

(1) (Reply)

Bandits Release 56 Remaining Kidnapped Persons In Niger Community After 6 Months / Insecurity: Nnamdi Kanu's Release Only Way To Show Love For S'East - Rep Ogah / Works Commissioner Leads In August Sanitation Exercise In Mkpat Enin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.