Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,042 members, 7,976,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 04:37 PM

Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies (56871 Views)

Femi Kuti, Alek Wek And John Dumelo To Open 'the Sandra Appiah Show' On Sunday / Femi Kuti With Supermodel Alek Wek And Other Stars On The Gold Carpet In America / Alek Wek & Abiola Abrams Hit The Sand! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:21am On Oct 16, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

As yours is not very 2 dimensional (abi how many dimension we get sef?)
I think we're both saying the same thing. Being a model does not mean you're beautiful. Which clearly answers the poster's curiosity.

I find her beautiful. but her beauty is not conventional. ie only appreciated by some
same with music. majority prefer to listen to justin bieber and psquare and other conventional music (aka pop)  while a select few will appreciate the artistic quality of Ismael Lo and Mutukudzi.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:23am On Oct 16, 2011
Rarity?

She is a thousand a penny in South Sudan, Burundi, Hinterlans of south Ethiopia, Central Africa Republic and Senegal

what's your point?
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:24am On Oct 16, 2011
Black Sudanese women are from South Sudan and the fact is majority of South Sudanese women are fugly.

to the average non-black, majority of[b] black people [/b] are fugly.

so, what again is your point.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Nobody: 4:24am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

I find her beautiful. but her beauty is not conventional. ie only appreciated by some
same with music. majority prefer to listen to justin bieber and psquare and other conventional music (aka pop)  while a select few will appreciate the artistic quality of Ismael Lo and Mutukudzi.

Plz dont take it as an insult when other opinions differ from yours.

I've seen other conventional beauties who makes Alek an "otherwise".

People and misconception about African beauty.

Being dark does not automatically make you beautiful or ugly, same for being light.

Saying an African person, model, superstar is ugly is not an insult to Africans.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Oba234: 4:26am On Oct 16, 2011
No, Beauty is culturally ingrained, so people that say she is ugly are saying that mainly as a result of how they have been conditioned to think of beauty in a certain way, so what you think it's your opinion or taste is really not your own opinion or taste since your taste or opinion comes from what your culture considers acceptable.

Anyway sha, I like her.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:28am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

Facts are never insults.

Yes, she might typify majority of black Sudanese women. Black Sudanese women are from South Sudan and the fact is majority of South Sudanese women are fugly.

South Sudan was the deprived area of Sudan, hence it is the place of poverty. Worse than even Northern Nigeria. Poverty affects most people's looks and features . . . . . . . . . . negatively. FACT!

Facts are not insults, they are just . . . . . . . . . . . . . .what?

FACTS!

that's your OPINION. not facts
most Ethiopians and Somalis will also claim that Nigerians are ugly. In fact, they come on this website and create many threads to say so. but this is not fact. this their OPINION.
Ethiopia and Somali are places of poverty. worse than Nigeria. but because they have european and arab features they feel that they have superior beauty. and we Africans (kolomental creatures that we are) put them on a pedestal for their straight hair and long noses.
you get embarassed when you see Wek because you know deep down inside of you that she looks very African.
Most southern Sudanese have that striking look and I find it beautiful

Stop touting your silly opinion as fact. ignorance is not bliss. I'm sure you went to school to know the difference.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:28am On Oct 16, 2011
Oba234:

No, Beauty is culturally ingrained, so people that say she is ugly are saying that mainly as a result of how they have been conditioned to think of beauty in a certain way, so what you think it's your opinion or taste is really not your own opinion or taste since your taste or opinion comes from what your culture considers acceptable.

Anyway sha, I like her.

Thank you!!
you took the words right out of my mouth.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 4:30am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

Really?

Na so?

You have really convinced yourself to believe such poo?

Rarity?

She is a thousand a penny in South Sudan, Burundi, Hinterlans of south Ethiopia, Central Africa Republic and Senegal.

I didn't convince myself with anything but that is how the high fashion world in a way views her, unique=beauty with a artistic twist to the high fashion world but in the real world it isn't always the case, and that's where Alek Wek is in. Personally to me I am indifferent to Alek Wek's look, she is neither ugly or pretty facially to me but my opinion about her face is meaningless compared to the versace's hiring her for her 'UNIQUE LOOK". Also in the high fashion world Alek wek is a rarity, she is the first person of that look to make it up to the top level in the fashion world
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:31am On Oct 16, 2011
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:34am On Oct 16, 2011
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 4:37am On Oct 16, 2011
tpia@:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-16718.0.html

I don't know why you are showing me this. Apart from Christina Aguilara, I don't regard any of the other women as particular beauties.

They are way better than Alek though.

tpia@:

what's your point?

She is not a rarity and not a beauty. She is an epitome of the average woman of those regions that is poor and with unattractive features.

tpia@:

to the average non-black, majority of[b] black people [/b] are fugly.

so, what again is your point.

I don't get your point.

Yes, majority of black people are ugly because they are poor and under/mal/wrongnourished.

That is not a "potential" thing, it is a "circumstance" thing. Evident in the Africans that are privileged are not ugly.

Jenifa_:

that's your OPINION. not facts
most Ethiopians and Somalis will also claim that Nigerians are ugly. In fact, they come on this website and create many threads to say so. but this is not fact. this their OPINION.
Ethiopia and Somali are places of poverty. worse than Nigeria. but because they have european and arab features they feel that they have superior beauty. and we Africans (kolomental creatures that we are) put them on a pedestal for their straight hair and long noses.
you get embarassed when you see Wek because you know deep down inside of you that she looks very African.
Most southern Sudanese have that striking look and I find it beautiful

Stop touting your silly opinion as fact. ignorance is not bliss. I'm sure you went to school to know the difference.

That is not my opinion, that is fact.

Most Ethiopians and Somalis you refer to that do that are not the poor, malnourished ones.

Oba234:

Anyway sha, I like her.

You have a point there but it is incomprehensive.

There are cases where some people are uglier and it is not based on "culture" but rather based on "nature". Evolution is powerful and it does distribute beauty.

anonymous6:

I didn't convince myself with anything but that is how the high fashion world in a way views her, unique=beauty to the high fashion world but in the real world it isn't always the case, and that's where Alek Wek is in. Personally to me I am indifferent to Alek Wek's look, she is neither ugly or pretty facially to me but my opinion about her face is meaningless compared to the versace's hiring her for her 'UNIQUE LOOK". Also in the high fashion world Alek wek is a rarity, she is the first person of that look to make it up to the top level in the fashion world

You did convince yourself.

Unique = beauty does not make alot of sense in "any way".

Unique just equals unique and the beauty aspects of the uniqueness is dependent on the quality of the beauty of the uniqueness.

In the fashion world she is a rarity. In the poor parts of some regions of Africa, she is 1000 a penny. Saying she is African beauty is a fcking insult.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:39am On Oct 16, 2011
She is not a rarity and not a beauty. She is an epitome of the average woman of those regions that is poor and with unattractive features.

so?

being from "a poor region" automatically excludes someone from being a supermodel?

and what exactly is your grouse against people from any particular country being models? Your not liking their looks doesnt disturb anybody.

Yes, majority of black people are ugly because they are poor and under/mal/wrongnourished.

well, if you consider the majority of black people ugly, then i dont need to be replying your posts here.

That is not a "potential" thing, it is a "circumstance" thing. Evident in the Africans that are privileged are not ugly.

you're just hungry for a photo verbal beatdown arent you. undecided
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 4:42am On Oct 16, 2011
tpia@:

so?

being from a" poor region" automatically excludes someone from being a supermodel?

Who said that? Me? undecided
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:43am On Oct 16, 2011
@ileke,
I never took it as an insult.
that's definitely true. African beauty is diverse. I recognize this diversity.

tpia@:

so?
being from a" poor region" automatically excludes someone from being a supermodel?

lol. these are the kind of things that shape people's idea of beauty. trust me. at least Sagamite was able to consciously recognize it.
for most, it is in their sub-conscious.
Africa = poor = ugly
you will be surprised how those ideas correlate in many people's minds.  cheesy
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 4:45am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

Unique just equals unique and the beauty aspects of the uniqueness is dependent on the quality of the beauty of the uniqueness.

There is a big difference between convincing yourself about something and explaining how things are. I was explaining how things are in the high fashion world not how I want things to be, those are two different things. To the fashion world it makes sense, because that is what they believe, the fashion world is not in the real world so to them uniqueness and art = beauty; and that's how they view Alek Wek.

As I said before I am in-different to Alek Weks look when it comes to her face, to me it isn't pretty but it isn't hideous either
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:49am On Oct 16, 2011
we probably should all agree to disagree.

it's really a matter of different tastes and cultural forming.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by tpia5: 4:52am On Oct 16, 2011
the only thing i expect people to be complaining about in modelling is the high paced schedule and the excessive dieting.

looks or so-called "beauty" are the least of anyone's concerns, imo.

make up artists, plastic surgeons, airbrushing and photoshop are there to assist with that.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 4:52am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

beauty and art is all in one to many people outside the fashion world as well.

fashion world is not the real world, suburbs is not the real world etc. that's ridiculous. ghetto isn't the only real world out there.
if it's in the world, it's real.

In reality the fashion world is not in the real world, and to a extent the suburbs are not either. The fashion world is like a illusion 99% of the time & the suburbs I have been many of them are not in reality, they don't know what struggle is or care to. For example the Germain designer Karl Lagerfeld was criticized for not putting curvy women or real women in his runways and he said "no one wants to see curvy women", he is right in his fashion world they don't but in the real world nobody wants to see a anorexic kate moss. This attitude has been affecting the fashion world now a days because they are out of touch with reality'
http://www.drrobynsilverman.com/body-image/karl-lagerfeld-says-no-one-wants-to-see-curvy-women/
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Oba234: 4:53am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

I don't know why you are showing me this. Apart from Christina Aguilara, I don't regard any of the other women as particular beauties.

They are way better than Alek though.

I don't get your point.

That is not my opinion, that is fact.

Most Ethiopians and Somalis you refer to that do that are not the poor, malnourished ones.

You have a point there but it is incomprehensive.

There are cases where some people are uglier and it is not based on "culture" but rather based on "nature". Evolution is powerful and it does distribute beauty.

sorry, I am not sure you are understanding what I am talking about because if you do, you would not have written what you just wrote. I think you should read what I wrote over and think about it and then type a response. Beauty is not an absolute thing. This is the main point, . You are not born with a certain taste for something. What is biological is to be attracted to people of the opposite sexes, but anything other than that is all a product of society. Everything that you like or think you like, your morality, beliefs, who you are attracted to are all shaped by culture from the beginning of your life and it's so ingrained in us that it's difficult for people to even differentiate what is biological and cultural sometimes.  Say it with me, Perception of beauty is not biological. Your culture has ingrained in you things that are consider acceptable, beautiful and from those things that are consider acceptable or beautiful is where you get your opinions and tastes from.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 4:57am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

In reality the fashion world is not in the real world, and to a extent the surburbs are not either

so what is the real world?
the ghetto? lol

everybody's reality is different.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 5:00am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

so what is the real world?
the ghetto? lol

everybody's reality is different.

In a way the ghetto is a sad reality of the world because their are hard choices and struggle people go through in the ghetto

Everybody is living in the real world but psychologically some people in the this world are not in reality.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 5:02am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

In a way the ghetto is a sad reality of the world because their are hard choices and struggle people go through in the ghetto

ok. then I'm not living in the real world then. because I don't live in the ghetto.
are you living in the real world?

I think we should all agree to disagree. esp. on this topic where beauty is a matter of opinion. as they say, it is in the "eye of the beholder"
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 5:02am On Oct 16, 2011
Oba234:

sorry, I am not sure you understand what I wrote. I think you should read what I wrote over and think about it and then type a response. Beauty is not an absolute thing. This is the main point, . You are not born with a certain taste for something. Everything that you like or think you like, your morality, beliefs, who you are attracted to are all shaped by culture from the beginning of your life and it's so ingrained in us that it's difficult for people to even differentiate what is biological and cultural sometimes.  Say it with me, Perception of beauty is not biological. Your culture has ingrained in you things that are consider acceptable, beautiful and from those things that are consider acceptable or beautiful is where you get your opinions and tastes from.

I fully understand what you wrote, I am just educating you to help you make your thinking a bit more comprehensive.

The lesson was: Perception of beauty is not only a cultural thing, there is an evolutionary and natural aspect of it.

You are wrong. You are born with a certain taste range. Like every animal, we have certian things we are programmed to look for evolutionarily. Get you notepad out and write it down as lesson of the day. I am nice and give free lectures on NL, be grateful.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 5:05am On Oct 16, 2011
Jenifa_:

ok. then I'm not living in the real world then. because I don't live in the ghetto.
are you living in the real world?

I think we should all agree to disagree. esp. on this topic where beauty is a matter of opinion. as they say, it is in the "eye of the beholder"

No, their are other places besides ghetto's and suburbs their are towns, cities and etc. Majority of the fashion world is not in the real world
http://www.drrobynsilverman.com/body-image/karl-lagerfeld-says-no-one-wants-to-see-curvy-women/
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 5:05am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

There is a big difference between convincing yourself about something and explaining how things are. I explaining how things are in the high fashion world not how I want things to be, those are two different things. To the fashion world it makes sense, because that is what they believe, the fashion world is not in the real world so to them uniqueness, beauty and art is all in one.

As I said before I am in-different to Alek Weks look when it comes to her face, to me it isn't pretty but it isn't hideous either

You said "and it makes sense . . . . . .  but they have a unique beauty though in a way, in a artistic sort of way"

No, it does not make sense. That is not explaining, that is self-conviction. Majority of catwalk models are ugly, unhealthy twigs. The industry is shaped and run my people of which majority are deluded, pretentious and sick in the head ediots.

The high fashion and art industry are full of such ediots.

I went to the Tate Modern recently and it is ridiculous what these ediots call art. I was so disgusted I took some pix on my phone to ridicule these pompous, pretentious fooools on NL, but hardly had the time to post.

Art my ARSE!
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 5:07am On Oct 16, 2011
I am trying to load the rubbish a 3 year old can do that these pretentious ediots called "art" but it is saying the file is too big.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 5:08am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

You said "and it makes sense . . . . . .  but they have a unique beauty though in a way, in a artistic sort of way"

No, it does not make sense. That is not explaining, that is self-conviction. Majoritys of catwalk models and ugly, unhealthy twigs. The industry is shaped and run my people of which majority are deluded, pretentious and sick in the head ediots.

The high fashion and art industry are full of such ediots.

I went to the Tate Modern recently and it is ridiculous what these ediots call art. I was so disgusted I took some pix on my phone to ridicule these pompous, pretentious fooools on NL, but hardly had the time to post.

Art my ARSE!

The issue you are not getting is in the fashion world they believe this, some art in the fashion world I think is crap but the fashion world lives  by a different set of rules from the real world, so to us it nonsense to them it makes sense; and that's what I meant with the statement.

To the high fashion world kate moss and Alek wek are beautiful in a artistic way, it's weird but that is the fashion world for you. That is why personally I am in different to the high fashion world because they are not in touch sometimes with the conventional world
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Sagamite(m): 5:11am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

The issue you are not getting is in the fashion world they believe this, some art in the fashion world I think is crap but the fashion world lives  by a different set of rules from the real world, so to us it nonsense to them it makes sense; and that's what I meant with the statement

I agree. All I am saying is a lot of their set of rules is for and made by deluded, pretentious and sick in the head ediots.

Believe me. I am intelligent enough to make such a judgement.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by harakiri(m): 5:11am On Oct 16, 2011
A lot of the ladies commenting here are not even worthy of being housemaids to this charming supermodel. A lot of the guys here wouldn't even have the guts to walk up to her and tell her how ugly she is (even for a £1,000 reward).

Get real with yourselves. I've seen the pictures of some of the female posters here and a good number of you look either like chihuahuas,blood hounds or rottweilers.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 5:12am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

I fully understand what you wrote, I am just educating you to help you make your thinking a bit more comprehensive.

The lesson was: Perception of beauty is not only a cultural thing, there is an evolutionary and natural aspect of it.

You are wrong. You are born with a certain taste range. Like every animal, we have certian things we are programmed to look for evolutionarily. Get you notepad out and write it down as lesson of the day. I am nice and give free lectures on NL, be grateful.

you can't escape the fact that culture is the number one definer of beauty.
for example (going by your posts) you are obsessed with curves on a woman. but in Asia, the opposite is the case. etc
also, when the whites went to Sothern Africa and saw women with large curves, they found it repulsive and even brought one back to be displayed in a circus. they called her hottentot. this word is considered derogatory today. you can google the word "hottentot"

from a biological evolutionary perspective, shouldn't every culture find large curves to be a sign of beauty?
exactly! you have to consider that we humans are different from animals and plants in the sense that we do things in a way that is most times shaped in terms of social rather than biological evolution.

it is our sociability that distinguishes us from plant and animals. and culture is a large part of this.
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by anonymous6(f): 5:13am On Oct 16, 2011
Sagamite:

I agree. All I am saying is a lot of their set of rules is for and made by deluded, pretentious and sick in the head ediots.

Believe me. I am intelligent enough to make such a judgement.

I agree, lol
Re: Please Tell Me Where Alek Wek's Beauty Lies by Jenifa1: 5:15am On Oct 16, 2011
anonymous6:

No, their are other places besides ghetto's and suburbs their are towns, cities and etc. Majority of the fashion world is not in the real world

rotflmao
by fashion world you actually mean a location?  
then you have no clue about the fashion world.
fashion world is NYC, LONDON, PARIS, MILAN ETC. even your backyard could be one.
it's all about a state of mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lady Recreates Ebuka’s Famous Agbada (Pictured) / Steflon Don Couldn't Take Her Eyes Off Burna Boy At His 28th Birthday Party / Ebube Nwagbo Wears Her "Boyfriend Destroyed Denim"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.