Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,371 members, 7,901,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 09:08 PM

Why Only Bees Produce Honey And What It Can Mean For You? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Only Bees Produce Honey And What It Can Mean For You? (145 Views)

Pls What Does This Mean For Those Of Us That Has Been Booked For Biometric / Swarm Of Bees Disrupt Examination In Osun Polytechnic (VIDEO) / 'Bee Beard’: Professor Covered In Bees At Washington State University (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Only Bees Produce Honey And What It Can Mean For You? by Penwielder: 8:53am On Sep 17, 2023
What is honey to bees anyways?
Food?
Egested waste product?
Or metabolic waste product?
I think I had better stopped here lest it feels like I'm diving into the not-always-welcoming waters of biology.
Actually, honey is a way bees store food for themselves against "rainy days". Their chief source of nutrition being the juicy nectar of flowers, they're not always sure of finding fresh, blooming flowers at every time of the year, hence the need to improvise with honey. So when their fears of running out of nectar-rich flowers eventually become a reality, they then feast on the honey they'd been able to produce and preserve beforehand. Pretty smart little creatures, right?

How in God's name do those creatures produce that amazingly sweet, dark-brown juice which I can bet is already making someone's mouth water?
Simple. From the nectar of flowers. The answer is simple, but the process is not quite simple. It involves a chain of processes that require the skillful intervention of enzymes at some point.

Now this is what this post is all about. How is it that bees are about the only insects that produce honey when they are not the only ones that visit flowers and enjoy their nectar? Remember, the chief raw material for honey production is nectar. Why don't butterflies, ants and beetles which also enjoy their fair share of nectar also produce honey?

It's simple. When bees visit flowers, their purpose is well- defined. They go with the aim of not only temporarily enjoying the nectar but to also keep some for the future in the form of honey. But other insect pollinators don't reason the same way. They enjoy the nectar for the moment and that's all.

Life operates on the same principle. We all were sent down here, but what we get out of life will never be the same. Why? It depends on how we choose to play the game of life. If we approach life with intentionality and map out our goals, aims and purposes, we'll sooner find ourselves making our own honey. But if we lack well-defined plans but only submit with meekness to whatever life choose to bring to us, we'll be at the mercy of fate.

It's not enough to be alive. There's a need to have a plan on how to navigate through life and make bold steps in implementing the plan.

I'm not so sure of how well I have articulated my thoughts. Help me by telling me just ONE thing you picked from this post.

Till I write you again,
J. Ebute (Penwielder)

(1) (Reply)

NISLT Membership Exam / Anambra State Government Increases Monthly Running Cost For Public Schools / Fasipe Speaks On Being Students’ Union President At UK Varsity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.