Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,240 members, 7,950,308 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 11:55 AM

The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! (553 Views)

What's That Language You Love But Can't Speak? / For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. / This Lady Who Can't Remember Her Name In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Tolubigyansh: 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2023
I got married last two weeks and my husband brought me to lagos for the very first time. My husband is an igbo man but was born and bred in lagos. Because of this, he doesn't understand nor speak his language.

I don't want my children to grow up without knowing their mother's tongue.

Is there any way my kids can learn igbo in a strange land??
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Zonefree(m): 1:48pm On Sep 18, 2023
Tolubigyansh:

Lagos is not a strange land!

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Dpen11(f): 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2023
Use your mother's tongue to communicate with them frequently.

As they grow they get use to it even if the speaks just English,but if they grow with that tongue they'll get use to it

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Tolubigyansh: 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2023
Zonefree:

Lagos is not a strange land!

It Is. Tribalism is rampant here
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
Being born and bred in Lagos is not a good enough excuse for your husband to not know his native language.
He just never made much effort to learn.
His parents also are majorly to blame.

Tolubigyansh:

Only on nairaland.

I wouldn't say it's nonexistent in Lagos, but being rampant is exaggerating it.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Zonefree(m): 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2023
Tolubigyansh:

Are you a victim?

3 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by VOsimhen144(m): 2:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
Bro, It’s not just Igbo. I don’t know what’s wrong with dis generation, they barely speak their language. Everybody wants to be speaking English, even the English dem no sabi speak am well.
I be confirm Edo guy, when I was growing up as a kid, we use to speak our language (Esan) everywhere… at school, at home, market e.t.c but that’s doesn’t mean we no sabi English.

But if you go to village now, Majority of the children and youth can’t even speak their language. It’s so sad.
They are all forming mumu English.

That’s why God would continue to bless Russia 🇷🇺, Spain 🇪🇸, Croatia 🇭🇷, Finland 🇫🇮, China 🇨🇳 and Sweden 🇸🇪. They fvcking don’t care about English. They speak their mothers tongue to the fullest, dem no send ur papa. God punish English.

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Guderian(m): 2:08pm On Sep 18, 2023
Lol
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Kobojunkie: 3:14pm On Sep 18, 2023
Tolubigyansh:
I got married last two weeks and my husband brought me to lagos for the very first time. My husband is an igbo man but was born and bred in lagos. Because of this, he doesn't understand nor speak his language.
In my opinion, there are lots of way more important things to worry about than this as a newlywed in lagos abeg! undecided
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Sweetvie: 3:30pm On Sep 18, 2023
Hmm
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 3:58pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
Being born and bred in Lagos is not a good enough excuse for your husband to not know his native language.
Most Igbo parents in Lagos speak their children English.

From English at home to English in their private primary and secondary schools.

Unfortunately these kids wouldn't understand the basics in Igbo. Because Lagos is a yourba state. So if their parents don't speak them Igbo, where else would they learn it from?

I was a victim of this, my only saving grace was that in had my university education in the SE. So it improved my Igbo. But I'm still not very perfect in it even though I'm much better than how I was before I gained admission.

And my parents aren't helping matters because if I should call them now, we still communicate in English.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 4:06pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nazgul:

Most Igbo parents in Lagos speak their children English.

From English at home to English in their private primary and secondary schools.

Unfortunately these kids wouldn't understand the basics in Igbo. Because Lagos is a yourba state. So if their parents don't speak them Igbo, where else would they learn it from?

I was a victim of this, my only saving grace was that in had my university education in the SE. So it improved my Igbo. But I'm still not very perfect in it even though I'm much better than how I was before school.

And my parents aren't helping matters because if I should call them now, we still communicate in English.

My dad made sure we spoke Igbo back to him from when we were little, even though it was kurukere at the time, and he had all the patient in the world. cheesy
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 4:14pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
My dad made sure we spoke Igbo back to him from when we were little, even though it was kurukere at the time, and he had all the patient in the world. cheesy
You're lucky then.

My own parents spoke me and are still speaking me English.

Do you know that as I am, I even speak yourba more fluently than Igbo.

Because all my Igbo friends are like me, they can't speak Igbo. Whereas my yourba friends speak their language fluently, so I started understanding yourba language.

I think Igbo parents should look into this as a matter of urgency. Because if they continue this way, more than half of our population wouldn't be able to communicate in igbo.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 4:53pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nazgul:

You're lucky then.

My own parents spoke me and are still speaking me English.

Do you know that as I am, I even speak yourba more fluently than Igbo.

Because all my Igbo friends are like me, they can't speak Igbo. Whereas my yourba friends speak their language fluently, so I started understanding yourba language.

I think Igbo parents should look into this as a matter of urgency. Because if they continue this way, more than half of our population wouldn't be able to communicate in igbo.

That could've been me. cheesy
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by DyingFetus: 5:20pm On Sep 18, 2023
Go and live in a neighborhood surrounded by igbos
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Ensa777(f): 5:23pm On Sep 18, 2023
No time is late Just start.
I made the mistake at the initial time but at 2 yrs old,I insisted nothing other than Igbo would be spoken in my home.
My husband speaks English to our kids but me Igbo.
4 yrs down,We have made so much progress and I couldn't be happier.
I started by teaching them "M CHORO"(verb for "I want") because children always want something
We greet Ibola chi at home not Goodmorning/ututoma
It's Dede not brother for elderly ones
Our prayers must be in Igbo.
If you want my attention,speak in Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Mindlog: 5:30pm On Sep 18, 2023
Tolubigyansh:

There is nothing strange about Lagos, I was born and raised in Lagos but very fluent in communicating in igbo, Yoruba and English because my parents were very intentional about it.

Tell your husband to make effort to learn and speak it in the home because when your baby is around 6 months old, he/she will be staring more intently at your mouths, when you both talk in his/her presence as part of his/her language development.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by stacyadams: 6:24pm On Sep 18, 2023
Tolubigyansh:

Speak ibo at home..let them learn English at school.....
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by descarado: 6:52pm On Sep 18, 2023
One of those tribal threads.
He has quickly deleted his implicating comments.

That's a guy by the way.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Sep 18, 2023
I got an online Igbo teacher for my kids.

I can speak Igbo very well but we don't speak it at home. My wife will respond with English.

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 8:39pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
That could've been me. cheesy
Do you speak yourba?
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 8:43pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nazgul:

Do you speak yourba?

Yes, I do.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 8:46pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
Yes, I do.
And Igbo as well...that's good.

My problem with Igbo is that I don't have anyone who speaks constantly to me. If I had, I believe I would have improved. Whatever I learn stays with me cos there's no one to speak it to. 😔

1 Like

Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 8:50pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nazgul:

And Igbo as well...that's good.
Yeah. Thanks.

My problem with Igbo is that I don't have anyone who speaks constantly to me. If I had, I believe I would have improved. Whatever I learn stays with me cos there's no one to speak it to. 😔

Even up till now? Don't you have village cousins you can speak Igbo with?
At least, you're willing.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
Even up till now? Don't you have village cousins you can speak Igbo with?
At least, you're willing.
My cousins within my age bracket that I relate with are in the same situation with me. They too only speak English. No thanks to their parents.

The ones in the village, I barely know them cos we don't relate that much.

My cooperate friends are mostly yourbas. The few Igbos within my cycle can't speak Igbo as well.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 8:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nazgul:

My cousins within my age bracket that I relate with are in the same situation with me. They too only speak English. No thanks to their parents.

The ones in the village, I barely know them cos we don't relate that much.

My cooperate friends are mostly yourbas. The few Igbos within my cycle can't speak Igbo as well.

Wahalur! cheesy

May I ask what part of the southeast you're from? I mean, your state.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:

Only on nairaland.

I wouldn't say it's nonexistent in Lagos, but being rampant is exaggerating it.

I believe his parents are majorly to blame. My parents only spoke Igbo at home and we had to choice but to catch on.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 9:04pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
Wahalur! cheesy

May I ask what part of the southeast you're from? I mean, your state.
I'm from Abia state. (That's where my dad is from)

My mom is from Ebonyi state. So I claim both states.

How about you?
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 9:11pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nazgul:

I'm from Abia state. (That's where my dad is from)

My mom is from Ebonyi state. So I claim both states.

How about you?

Thoroughly Imo state. cheesy

Skyview01:

I believe his parents are majorly to blame. My parents only spoke Igbo at home and we had to choice but to catch on.

Same here. Especially my dad.

How are your kids doing so far with the online class?
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 9:12pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
Thoroughly Imo state. cheesy
The only thing I know about imo state is your cut-throat bride price. cheesy

Where in imo are you from?
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by mariahAngel(f): 9:14pm On Sep 18, 2023
Nazgul:

The only thing I know about imo state is your cut-throat bride price. cheesy

Where in imo are you from?

People exaggerate things. cheesy

Isi-ala Mbano.
Re: The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! by Nazgul: 9:17pm On Sep 18, 2023
mariahAngel:
People exaggerate things. cheesy

Isi-ala Mbano.
It's not exaggeration o!

It's known all over the south east that you guys extort prospective in-laws a lot when it comes to bride price. Followed by Anambra. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

When A Loved One Dies / Affordable DNA Services In Nigeria / What Is Cheapest Telephone Network To Call UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.