Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,338 members, 7,910,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 03:53 PM

Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike (4770 Views)

Doctors Protest Sack By FG, Vow To Continue Strike / Doctors Vow To Continue Strike / National Association Of Resident Doctors (NARD) Have Vowed To Continue Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by DExplorer1: 12:46pm On Oct 21, 2011
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by begwong: 1:28pm On Oct 21, 2011
The foreign doctors would serve as a good bait for kiddnapping grin grin grin
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by Ekpekus(m): 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2011
Dm never fit meet or pay the demands of local doctors, na kon foriegn ones.
Abeg make them leave matter 4 Mathias jare. I naff in Ojoto.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by kinguwem: 3:08pm On Oct 21, 2011
The Anambra State Governor is simply looking for a way to siphon public funds. The officials in the Ministry of Health are cowards. They cannot advise the governor properly either because they are part of the scam or they are afraid of lossing their jobs.
Even in developed countries, doctors go on strike. Officials in those countries usually address issues promptly and strikes usually last few hours.
In this country, because most government officials are interested in looting public funds, they are very insensitive to issues that are detrimental to the masses.
Foreign doctors earn more money that local doctors. What is the sense in refusing to pay local doctors a living wage. The time has come for the government to hands off complete control of public hospitals. Government should only be a partner in health care through regulation of practices, provision of funds for research, social services and insurances.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by texazzpete(m): 3:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
Ricky_Ross:

The Ghanaian doctors are on strike since last two weeks now and counting, they have refused to return to work and many people are dying in hospitals. If this is true, they will grab the opportunity with open arms.

By the way, most of these doctors are selfish, they prefer to be on strike while working in their own private hospitals. At the end of the day, the government will still pay them backlog of arrears. Its a shame.

Torch1:

Most of them get private hospitals, while others are working in private hospitals. So they dnt really care if the strike will last for another 8months,

I cringe when I see dumbasses repeat this same absurd claim. I'd be surprised if more than 3% of the medical doctors have their own clinics.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by texazzpete(m): 3:43pm On Oct 21, 2011
Onlytruth:

I hate unions; I even hate MEDICAL unions more. They have no conscience and should even be proscribed. Some things are too critical to allow unions in them; eg, Police. In my book, striking doctors should be jailed. Once you sign up to work as a doctor, you must continue working or you quit. That's all. cool

Since it's clear that you have never seen a doctor before, let me be the first to inform you that doctors are human beings too. They have two eyes, two ears and a mouth. Strangely, just like you and me these doctors marry, have families and even have to provide for their families! Can you believe that?
Moreso, these doctors also are rather like you in that they want to buy vehicles, plots of land and even build houses for their families!! Just like you and me!
So these doctors need to get paid commensurately with the work they do. And they do a whole lot of work. Doctors take care of people when they are sick, and just like you and me, they work better when they are happy!
Can you understand that?
So when doctors are aggrieved that their conditions of employment are not up to par with the work they put in, they have three options

1. Put things in Prayer.
2. Take up weapons and begin an armed offensive against the Government
3. Decide to withdraw their services until the Government treats them properly, or until the people of Anambra demand that their Government gets off its butt and do something!

Option 1 is for simpletons. Option 2 won't ever work. Option 3 is what these good men and women are doing. The people of Anambra obviously are enjoying the situation because if they truly were feeling the pinch the Governor would not be resting so easy.

ekt_bear:

Sounds expensive. I think it is good to break the will of these evil unions that plague Nigeria (ok I'm exaggerating a bit, but I've not seen much good come from unions so far.)

However, surely there is a cheaper way of doing it. Hire Nigerian docs from other states? I dunno.

Yes, it's 'evil' to ask for salaries in line with what your colleagues in the Federal Government employment are earning. You have no idea how much they are earning now, you have no idea how much they are asking for. You come on Nairaland consistently criticizing poor and unjust policies of the FG yet you do not see the hypocrisy in asking these doctors to work non-stop without commensurate remuneration.

By all means, hire Doctors from other states. Except for the fact that doctors from nearly all other states in Nigeria earn higher than the doctors in Anambra State. Any more bright ideas, Einstein?
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by doctokwus: 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2011
D cartoon of a man wt d awkward sounding voice,who makes pretences 2being a gud financial administrator of anambra has shown dat d party does not mata.U may evn  belong to god's party but once administrative skills are not in u,it will neva b.
Obi is a classic example of that party affilation or squeaky voice has nothing to do wt gud governance,a failure to d core
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by emekax180(m): 3:53pm On Oct 21, 2011
The is no iota of truth in that story, and besides. The state government has started working towards the resolution of this crisis.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by lastpage: 4:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
First, this is NOT UNIQUE to Anambra state!
Doctors were on Strike in Lagos early this year for a long time and guess what?

Tinubu (Yes, the same Oju-yoboo!) asked Governor BR Fashola to SACK ALL OF THEM SO HE CAN "IMPORT" DOCTORS FOR HIM!

Now, l am not against people demanding for their legitimate rights and neither am l against Governor Obi recruiting foreign Doctors BUT, on one condition:

THE RECRUITED FOREIGN DOCTORS MUST ENJOY THE SAME CONDITIONS OF SERVICE, AS THE STRIKING LOCAL DOCTORS! Shikenna! shocked shocked

Lets see how that pans out then, only then will we know who is FOOLISH in this case! grin grin wink wink

Nuff said.

Lastpage!
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by texazzpete(m): 4:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
I keep saying this. The bulk of Nigerians are cowards!

The same way Nigerians kept taking the side of the FG against ASUU every time those guys went on strike, just because they 'wanted to graduate'. We kept at this until now all our Universities lie in ruins. Even when graduate assistants were being paid 30k monthly, Nigerians always sided with the corrupt and heartless FG.

How will people who are gainfully employed start lambasting others who only want payment that is in line with the stress of their profession. How many doctors can afford to buy a decent Toyota Camry after working for 2 years? If you really cared about your health, why would you not want your doctors to be as happy as possible?

When will the people of Anambra grow the balls to ask their Government why the strike has lingered on so long, and if he has deigned to offer them anything close to what their counterparts in Lagos, Benin, Rivers etc are earning?

Until we stop this cowardly habit at taking aim only at the weakest targets and start demanding for good governance, we will continue to suffer.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by Onlytruth(m): 4:27pm On Oct 21, 2011
Posted by: texazzpete

Since it's clear that you have never seen a doctor before, let me be the first to inform you that doctors are human beings too. They have two eyes, two ears and a mouth. Strangely, just like you and me these doctors marry, have families and even have to provide for their families! Can you believe that?
Moreso, these doctors also are rather like you in that they want to buy vehicles, plots of land and even build houses for their families!! Just like you and me!
So these doctors need to get paid commensurately with the work they do. And they do a whole lot of work. Doctors take care of people when they are sick, and just like you and me, they work better when they are happy!
Can you understand that?

My friend what you are talking is pure nonsense. It is you that need your head examined. undecided
I never said that doctors should not be paid. I say they MUST not unionize. They must not always seek upward review of pay. Infact they should be signed on to specific term contracts which they must complete or be sued/dragged to jail.

Doctors should not even be in unions. It should be illegal. Human health is not buildings or engineering (my field). I can go on strike and nobody will die. People die from doctors' strikes. Gerrit?

I don't support mass importation of foreign doctors, but if Nigerian doctors will still unionize, I would go for ONE foreign doctor against 10 Nigerian ones. At least patients in the hospitals would be attended to even if not on time.
Nigerian government should look into doctors' unions in Nigeria and ban them. Shikena.

I support Obi on this one.  cool
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by Gbenge77(m): 4:54pm On Oct 21, 2011
That seems a not so smart move imo.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by denitro(m): 7:11pm On Oct 21, 2011
How are they planning to bring in Ghanaian doctors when the doctors here in ghana
are on strike also
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by texazzpete(m): 9:09pm On Oct 21, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: texazzpete
My friend what you are talking is pure nonsense. It is you that need your head examined. undecided
I never said that doctors should not be paid. I say they MUST not unionize. They must not always seek upward review of pay. Infact they should be signed on to specific term contracts which they must complete or be sued/dragged to jail.

Doctors should not even be in unions. It should be illegal. Human health is not buildings or engineering (my field). I can go on strike and nobody will die. People die from doctors' strikes. Gerrit?

I don't support mass importation of foreign doctors, but if Nigerian doctors will still unionize, I would go for ONE foreign doctor against 10 Nigerian ones. At least patients in the hospitals would be attended to even if not on time.
Nigerian government should look into doctors' unions in Nigeria and ban them. Shikena.

I support Obi on this one.  cool

That's no surprise. You are not known for your intelligence grin
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by ektbear: 9:22pm On Oct 21, 2011
Tex, I'm not anti-doctor. I just don't believe in government employees constantly striking when they don't get what they want.

If these doctors are being so dramatically underpaid, why aren't they being snapped up by private clinics?

Me if I work for the gov't and they don't pay enough, but I'm halfway decent at what I do in an important field like medicine, I'll go to the private sector. Where I can be guaranteed of getting a market wage.

So what should be done, Anambra should just give in to the strikers? Give them whatever they want? And what will prevent the docs from striking again in 7 months time when they want another raise? And again and again? Then at that point the doctors will have made a slave of the Anambra government.

Do you have evidence btw of Anambra doctors being the worst paid of any docs in Nigeria? Total remuneration btw, not just base salary.

Basically, none of this makes sense to me. If Anambra is truly underpaying its doctors by so much, then many of them would have left for more lucrative opportunities. Instead of leaving outright, they are striking. Which suggests to me that they aren't being underpaid relative to market wages after all.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by playahP(m): 11:06pm On Oct 21, 2011
Being a medical practitioner should be borne out of the passion to impact positively in Lives and also to save lives.
A doctor's main concern should be his patients and not the remuneration.

I know state doctors earn over 150k per month and this is okay compared to other professions.

These doctors also forget that there are other sectors of the economy that needs the government attention such as roads, the salaries of other workers and more.'

The bottom line is that i totally support the move by peter obi.
It takes bravery not to bend to incessant and selfish demands.

people have lost their lives because of this strike action but all the doctors are concerned about is their salaries and they even wen as far as organizing a protest march. WHAT A SHAME!!!
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by Nancydearie(f): 11:14pm On Oct 21, 2011
Whoeva dat is in support of dis move to recruit foreign docs dnt knw wt mr Obi is capable of.He has failed Anabrarians.All i knw is dt Anambra govt can afford d consolidated salary n minimum wage as wel coz IGR of Anambra is way to high to take care of civil servants in d state just dt he is not being considerate and he dosnt wnt to negotiate wit dem.U wont beliv dt mr obi employed graduates into d sch systm witout any salary strucure.He made dem sign agreement dat they wil take whteva being given to dem as their salary.Guess how much he paid dem?10k.Wht a shame.He liks takin advantage on pple?Anambra state is one of d least paid in dis country.Mr obi shld plz negotiate wit d striking docs so dat dey can end their 8months strike
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by Nancydearie(f): 11:15pm On Oct 21, 2011
Whoeva dat is in support of dis move to recruit foreign docs dnt knw wt mr Obi is capable of.He has failed Anabrarians.All i knw is dt Anambra govt can afford d consolidated salary n minimum wage as wel coz IGR of Anambra is way to high to take care of civil servants in d state just dt he is not being considerate and he dosnt wnt to negotiate wit dem.U wont beliv dt mr obi employed graduates into d sch systm witout any salary strucure.He made dem sign agreement dat they wil take whteva being given to dem as their salary.Guess how much he paid dem?10k.Wht a shame.He liks takin advantage on pple?Anambra state is one of d least paid in dis country.Mr obi shld plz negotiate wit d striking docs so dat dey can end their 8months strike
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by emmatok(m): 3:15am On Oct 22, 2011
Listening to Nigerians criticizing their own DOCTORS is sickening, like any Nigeria Governor can be trusted .

For those saying Nigerian Doctors shouldn't be part of UNIONISM, well Doctor are humans with family.

Hope  Foreign Doctors Gov Obi in importing won't go on strike one day.

Because most of those  Foreign Doctors belong to one UNION or the other.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by reindeer: 12:05pm On Oct 22, 2011
It is sad reading from Nigerians who jump on the ''doctors should work for charity'' bandwagon.
These problems will keep happening until politicians stop wasting the people's wealth on frivolitites.
The saddest part if that the very same people who will benefit from a robust system are the first ones to criticise those who work in that same system.
To say there should be no doctors union is an infringement on their rights, it's just not done.
The only solution in my Opinion is to stop this permanent employment thingy and start making these jobs contracts so you know how much you'll be earning right from the start
Renewable contracts are just the easiest way out. If this contract isn't good enough for you, then you go where you can get a better deal
This will ensure people work hard enough to get a new contract and at the same time, there won't be arguments about pay during that contract and a new one can be negotiated later.
For people to just keep shouting against people demanding for better working conditions is just plain folly and no one else will suffer but these people and their relatives.
The politicians of course can always travel out of the country to treat their headaches and cold with more of your money.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by chineloSA(f): 9:09pm On Oct 22, 2011
South African doctors going to Nigeria?

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by member479760: 9:20am On Oct 23, 2011
Foreign doctors no mean sey na oyinbo doctor na o, Igbira doctor na foreign doctor in iboland also.
Re: Anambra To Recruit Foreign Doctors As Local Doctors Continue Strike by Echepet(m): 7:02am On Oct 24, 2011
haba,.mr governor, does this really sound nice 2 u, u want 2 recruite foreigners n u can pay ur home pple what they desire.sometimes i ask myself, 'r ds politicians being controlled by a machine afta being sworn in, a foreign doc.collecting a salary like dt of a 9ja doc,nt possible, even half of d money wil solve d problem a little, leaders r meant 2 serve n nt 2 b serve.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Miracle Cocoa Drink / Did It Affect My Chance Of Getting Pregnant? / Top Lotions To Make Your Skin Fair And Moisturized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.