Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,912 members, 7,883,164 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 04:16 AM

I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering (28700 Views)

"I Might Die Before Tomorrow": Man Killed In Ibadan Robbery Attack Wrote / Ibrah, Ghanaian Yahoo Boy Arrested For Money Laundering - Photos / Paul Gabriel Amos, Lamborghini Driver Charged With Money Laundering - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by justmondris: 4:14pm On Oct 03, 2023
This is a very serious issue. Maybe they have even killed the owner of the account. The whole thing will be put on ur head and you might serve upto 10 years in prison. Please report the issue to your bank and also to the nearest police station.

Tell the POS person to reprint the receipt to you and hand it over to your bank and the police to investigate the account that owns the card that was used.

If refund must be done, it must be done to the original account that was debited. Your bank can help you with this.

Note make your you have a proof that you reported the issue to your bank and the police so that they will not deny you later or forget about when the case was reported.

Anyways, you Bleep up shall upon on this valid fraudulent points when you suspect before and during the transaction, you still go ahead and do the transaction because you one sell market. Hope say you never sell the market when go give u free self contain room for prison?

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Cumminsdiesel: 4:15pm On Oct 03, 2023
AM I THE ONLY ONE NOT GETTING THIS ? WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF CREDITING YOUR ACCOUNT VIA A POS POINT AND USE THE CASHBACK PROCESS TO DEFRAUD YOU WHEN THEY CAN JUST GO TO A POS STAND AND USE THE CARD, GET THE CASH,THEN GO TO ANOTHER POS POINT TO PAY THIS INTO A NEW ACCOUNT ? WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO IMPLICATE THEMSELVES BY GOING TO YOUR SHOP AND LEAVING TRACES ?

ITS OK TO WORRY ABOUT THE PROCESS BUT THINK LOGICALLY.
THE TRANSACTION MIGHT BE REAL grin grin grin grin

Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment.

There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option.

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

What rose my suspicions on them are:

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Johnweeked12: 4:21pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:
I have suspicion that someone wants to use my account to launder money. A lady visited my shop demanding to purchase goods worth millions of naira she was so much in a hurry or desperate for someone who intends to perform such transactions. She was accompanied by a man she claimed to be her sick husband, two kids, and another young man. She claimed she needed to perform the transaction as soon as possible so she could travel down to a neighboring state for her husband's treatment.

There was no much negotiations as it seemed she was the one begging for the goods to be sold to her. After confirmation she said I should bring my POS machine so she could make a transfer, I already had suspicions on her so I told her i didn't have one and besides who would want to perform transactions worth millions of naira with a POS machine mode of payment. I suggested that she heads to the bank or make a transfer from her mobile app, which she shrugged off immediately like it was not even an option.

The young man with her insisted I get a POS vendor so that the transaction can be made which I declined and told them that there were many around the vicinity that they can go get one if they wish to. The young man left and returned a few minutes later with one, when they arrived the woman suddenly said she was scared and needed to invite the person who referred her to our place. She called this person and he arrived shortly, he was someone known to us in the past but not well known. She then requested that I get another POS vendor, which I suggested that they should get back the previous vendor they invited earlier. The young man went back again and returned with the vendor. The woman gave the vendor a debit card, which the vendor tried pulling the whole money at once, but it didn't go.(exceeded limit) The POS vendor then proceeded to split the money and it was successful. So she was only able to make part payment for the goods.

They were about to leave when I reminded them that I was supposed to issue a receipt for the part payment deposited into my account. Which I did later, and they left. Fast forward to the evening same day, she called me claiming that her husband's health was demanding much, and she wouldn't be in need of what she purchased earlier that I would have to refund her immediately.

1. The acclaimed husband of hers, whom she claimed had stroke as at when they visited the shop, I saw him earlier when they alighted from a Keke napep which dropped them across the road and he was walking very fine but when they began to approach my shop he began to limp like he couldn't walk properly and the woman held his hand for assistance (they didn't know that I had seen him earlier walking properly without any form of aid) when they were at the shop, the acclaimed husband who had stroke sat and crossed his legs, is that even possible for someone suffering from a stroke?

2. Why would they insist on only POS mode of payment (for a transaction worth millions)

3. Why would a woman whose acclaimed husband is sick with stroke decide to perform such a transaction (her pirioty should be making sure her husband is taken care of medically)

4. I know you must be wondering what it is she bought, but I will not be disclosing such for privacy reasons (Hint: it is a single item)

5. She was incoherent when I asked for the name and address that would be added to the receipt (it seemed like she was guessing the name and address)

What are your thoughts? Should I refund the money immediately, if I will, what are the measures to be taken to ensure I am on a safe side

Go to the nearest police station immediately and report yourself with the necessary evidence and if need be, tag along with the p.o.s guy but let me tell you this for free, you are in a mess already and the only way out of it is to insist of paying back to the same account number the transfer was made from. NEVER agree a different account and try to record every necessary calls and if need be plant a video recording for when the lady comes back. Report yourself first because walahii you will soon be arrested in connection to this and only if you are quick will you go Scot free. Procrastination is your biggest enemy right now. It is an already casted format in Abuja. Guy be swift and smart here. They are likely kidnappers. Ire oo

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Obviouslyblunt: 4:30pm On Oct 03, 2023
Please give an update to this if anything comes up.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Obviouslyblunt: 4:36pm On Oct 03, 2023
Cumminsdiesel:
AM I THE ONLY ONE NOT GETTING THIS ? WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF CREDITING YOUR ACCOUNT VIA A POS POINT AND USE THE CASHBACK PROCESS TO DEFRAUD YOU WHEN THEY CAN JUST GO TO A POS STAND AND USE THE CARD, GET THE CASH,THEN GO TO ANOTHER POS POINT TO PAY THIS INTO A NEW ACCOUNT ? WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO IMPLICATE THEMSELVES BY GOING TO YOUR SHOP AND LEAVING TRACES ?

ITS OK TO WORRY ABOUT THE PROCESS BUT THINK LOGICALLY.
THE TRANSACTION MIGHT BE REAL grin grin grin grin

because they are washing traces and making a long trace. They fcked up, the intention was to buy the stuff from OP and resell, due to the fact that the whole limit thing became an issue they are asking for a refund, they most likely have another victim already. OP should take this to EFCC already, report this and you’ll see them kick off an investigation, the money is already up to 100k above, it’s within their jurisdiction. Think like a criminal here and not an innocent person. OP don’t engage on any refund even to the previous acct that sent the money. Take this to efcc immediately, you should be able to see their office around you.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by seborrhic: 4:36pm On Oct 03, 2023
Someone stole a card and goes through the arduous process of first pretending to want to buy an item,then asks for a refund of the money.
How does it make sense.They even pretended the father of the house has a stroke and came with their children to even buy the items.
At worst they just want to use the receipt they got from the item as evidence of purchase of an item to someone or an organisation in a case they are involved in or to with hold money they were borrowed or kept in their care.
It may even be a simple straightforward case of them wanting to get more funds from someone by showing proof they have used the original funds to purchase the item they claimed they wanted to use it for,without actually buying it.
The op revealing the item they bought would have lent credence to this theory I have of what the whole rigmarole was all about.
But of course typical of the average Nigerian,they claim politicians are fraudsters,but they hide things so no one gets to know they inflated the cost or lied outrightly about an issue.
These are not kidnappers or criminals,just people trying to play smart to milk more funds or hide one kept in their possession for other uses. I am 110% sure of it.
The stroke pretence and whole family coming to purchase the item should have told you these are people trying to use illness and family as evidence of something to someone,but of course,since Buhari graced our shores,commonsense is now as scarce as steel from ajaokuta.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Honsla: 4:39pm On Oct 03, 2023
IamAtikulate:
Those advising you to report to the police are only setting you up for more troubles. You'll definitely regret it.

Again, what if your suspicion is wrong?

For example, USSD code doesn't work with my GTB bank account and I have been trying to install the app without success. I only use the debit card.

What if that's their case?

Again, if actually they wanted to launder money through you, there is a far safer way to do that than buying from your shop via POS and asking for a refund.

It's very traceable.

They can simply withdraw 200k cash from multiple POS vendors and then deposit into their account via another POS. It'll only take time.

I don't believe that money is not theirs. Just tread with caution and don't fall into the pit some unguided people are already digging for you.
I was about saying same thing too.
If truly the card isn't theirs they can just withdraw the money via pos that would save them the stress and time of purchasing goods and asking for a refund
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by OvertheTop(m): 4:39pm On Oct 03, 2023
Chinny024:

I just hope they are not kidnappers and the owner of the card at their den..comot body ooo..Don't play with fire..A lot of people are serving jail term for what could hv been avoided..simply tell her,sorry..u don't accept refund after purchase of goods...Ensure u make entry in a police station!!!

If u mistakenly transact back to them,u are automatically an accomplice of the crime...Don't say I didn't warn u...this same tactic has kept a lady for 5yrs at Enugu correctional service..By Feb or March,she would be clocking 6yrs..

The people collected someone's card and pin..then shot him to death..Proceeded to make some transactions with her POS..Then told her to withdraw the money cash from her account in form of cash to them,while she transferred some to their accounts ...she agreed..long story short..she has cooled off 5yrs plus in jail as accomplice.

WOOOOW shocked
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by IamAtikulate: 4:53pm On Oct 03, 2023
Honsla:

I was about saying same thing too.
If truly the card isn't theirs they can just withdraw the money via pos that would save them the stress and time of purchasing goods and asking for a refund
True

Unfortunately, most Nairaland online advisers are incapable of logic

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by AfroBeatDiary: 4:54pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

Tell them your bank flagged your acct and placed on PND,advice them to file for dispute via their bank. Notify nearest police to write a statement that will vindicate you.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by correctguy101(m): 4:54pm On Oct 03, 2023
ishayaauta:
Hi kindly tell them
1. you've reached yourdaily limit

2. By tomorrow tell them your account has been flagged and you're trying to rectify it with your bank. (before doing this, make sure she has texted you the said account to transfer to.)

3. After 5 business day, you can transfer the said amount if nothing flags your account.

Goodluck

Nairaland1stson...

Make sure you do as this baba says but after 2, before you do 3, try opening a case with NPF.

Don't just refund, else ..
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by IamAtikulate: 4:55pm On Oct 03, 2023
seborrhic:
Someone stole a card and goes through the arduous process of first pretending to want to buy an item,then asks for a refund of the money.
How does it make sense.They even pretended the father of the house has a stroke and came with their children to even buy the items.
At worst they just want to use the receipt they got from the item as evidence of purchase of an item to someone or an organisation in a case they are involved in or to with hold money they were borrowed or kept in their care.
It may even be a simple straightforward case of them wanting to get more funds from someone by showing proof they have used the original funds to purchase the item they claimed they wanted to use it for,without actually buying it.
The op revealing the item they bought would have lent credence to this theory I have of what the whole rigmarole was all about.
But of course typical of the average Nigerian,they claim politicians are fraudsters,but they hide things so no one gets to know they inflated the cost or lied outrightly about an issue.
These are not kidnappers or criminals,just people trying to play smart to milk more funds or hide one kept in their possession for other uses. I am 110% sure of it.
The stroke pretence and whole family coming to purchase the item should have told you these are people trying to use illness and family as evidence of something to someone,but of course,since Buhari graced our shores,commonsense is now as scarce as steel from ajaokuta.
I have already raised this point

But sadly, most Nairaland are incapable of thinking.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by IamAtikulate: 4:57pm On Oct 03, 2023
Obviouslyblunt:
because they are washing traces and making a long trace. They fcked up, the intention was to buy the stuff from OP and resell, due to the fact that the whole limit thing became an issue they are asking for a refund, they most likely have another victim already. OP should take this to EFCC already, report this and you’ll see them kick off an investigation, the money is already up to 100k above, it’s within their jurisdiction. Think like a criminal here and not an innocent person. OP don’t engage on any refund even to the previous acct that sent the money. Take this to efcc immediately, you should be able to see their office around you.
If na you, you go take the matter to EFCC?

Most of you guys are incapable of thinking. Walai
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by shonepet: 5:02pm On Oct 03, 2023
Please make sure you refund to the same account that paid you. Do not accept any other bank account.
You can also do a police report.
Thanks
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by emdis: 5:31pm On Oct 03, 2023
Involving police to this matter now will cost you a whole lot of damages.. it's better they carry what they bought from you and go to sell it another place... The person they stole his or her card, would be blamed for whatever purchase made once it's traced to a POS terminal...
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Obviouslyblunt: 5:34pm On Oct 03, 2023
IamAtikulate:

If na you, you go take the matter to EFCC?

Most of you guys are incapable of thinking. Walai

I will. Whether you decide to take it to them or not, they’ll come knocking eventually.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by emdis: 5:38pm On Oct 03, 2023
Once it's a POS sale. OP can never be implicated.. the purchase would always bear the name of the owner of the card so case close.. I have seen many of such situation where people lost money from their bank accounts.. once it's traced to a POS terminal. It's finished!
justmondris:
This is a very serious issue. Maybe they have even killed the owner of the account. The whole thing will be put on ur head and you might serve upto 10 years in prison. Please report the issue to your bank and also to the nearest police station.

Tell the POS person to reprint the receipt to you and hand it over to your bank and the police to investigate the account that owns the card that was used.

If refund must be done, it must be done to the original account that was debited. Your bank can help you with this.

Note make your you have a proof that you reported the issue to your bank and the police so that they will not deny you later or forget about when the case was reported.

Anyways, you Bleep up shall upon on this valid fraudulent points when you suspect before and during the transaction, you still go ahead and do the transaction because you one sell market. Hope say you never sell the market when go give u free self contain room for prison?

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by jubrilELsudan: 5:40pm On Oct 03, 2023
YOU BETTER REFUND THE MONEY IF YOU STILL LOVE YOUR LIFE CAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE OR WHOM OR WHAT THEY INVOLVED IN

IF YOU LIKE KEEP THE MONEY LIKE IT'S YOUR BIRTH RIGHT.....THESE PEOPLE WILL BE THE ONES TO GO TO PANTI AND REPORT YOU THAT YOU ARE THE MASTERMIND RING LEADER AND ALL EVIDENCE PROVES THAT CAUSE THE MONEY IS IN YOUR ACCOUNT

THERE IS NO PROOF THAT YOU SOLD ANYTHING TO THEM

THAT RECEIPT YOU GAVE THEM IS WORTHLESS AND NO PROOF

IN SIMPLE LANGUAGE IF YOU REFUSE TO GIVE THEM BACK THEIR MONEY....IF THEY OWN THE CARD...THEY WILL GO REPORT THAT YOU STOLE THEIR CARD AND CONNIVED WITH A POS OPERATOR TO STEAL THEIR MONEY

AND IF THEY ACTUALLY STOLE THE CARD....THEY WILL REPORT YOU ANONYMOUSLY TO THE OWNER OF THE CARD AND WHERE TO FIND YOU

SO EITHER WAY YOU ARE FVCKED CAUSE AS E BE SO NA KIRIKIRI YOU GO DO CHRISTMAS OOOOOO

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by FreeBiafra2018(m): 5:41pm On Oct 03, 2023
CreedElliot:

How would he correctly know the account the money came from ?
When she gives you the account number she wants you to transfer to, demand to see the ATM card she used to make the transaction, check if the name on the ATM card tarry with the one that appears from the account number she gave to you for the transfer, if it's not the same tell her you can't do it even as she may persuade you not to worry. That's when you know something is wrong.

1 Like

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by saintnegroid(m): 5:43pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

tell them that good bought are non refundable
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by emdis: 5:44pm On Oct 03, 2023
This is entirely a different case. A POS terminal purchase... A phone number is a personal property, POS machine isn't especially during purchases..
strangebutreal:
Hello, I'd advice you involve the police before transferring any money back to anyone.

My neighbor has been in Kuje Prison since the beginning of this way, he was arrested by DSS earlier this year, January precisely for something he knows nothing about..

To cut the long story short, he misplaced his phone and didn't make a report, the simcard was used to open an opay account, then they transferred some huge amount of money into the account. Little did he know that someone was killed and robbed at gun point, all his money was transferred into the opay account registered with my neighbors simcard..

His mobile line was traced and he was arrested by DSS, he's currently facing some count charges, murderer, money laundering, armed robbery..
Now, he's being accused of killing a family and robbing them of their possessions..

Make God Almighty save us all!!?
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by 9icetoo(m): 5:44pm On Oct 03, 2023
wittywriter:
OP Get to discuss with your bank account officer...if you yet know your account officer visit the bank and demand for your account officer.
Moreso if the customer starts to disturb/worry you for the refund tell her to follow you to the bank for the refund process/transaction to be executed.

Wittyness.

This should be your action OP.

Also, inform the police immediately.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Babysho(m): 5:53pm On Oct 03, 2023
This Nigeria sef, man go won do business na sleepless nights e go dey get. I'm sure this O.P is not sleeping well at night anymore until the issue is fully resolved.

Overseas, you go know say the issue na smalls. After taking down a police report and bank report, you go know say u don dey vindicated. For Naija, I no surprise if O.P end up for jail without bail.

Also if you're selling goods worth over 1m why don't you have one small CCTV. These criminals knew this and targeted you.

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Elnesto(m): 6:11pm On Oct 03, 2023
Do not return the money. Returning the money will potentially put you in trouble
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by KayB: 6:16pm On Oct 03, 2023
A simple transaction you are dishevelled but you can easily abuse somebody handling transactions of the whole of Nigeria in a day.
My take;
Let them return your receipt first, get a photocopy of a government issued Identity of the lady together with your receipt and state briefly why a refund is made. Make her sign and you sign if possible the POS vendor to be a witness.
You are covered but note that the account you transferred to must be the same name as it is on the receipt if not seek for police protection
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Revolva(m): 7:15pm On Oct 03, 2023
Find way to refund to the account that sent it to you dont give them oo na u dem use cash out ....maybe that card is a stolen card

Or if u cant reverse the money to the account dont refund them , they already payed for the good
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by 77up(m): 7:24pm On Oct 03, 2023
Wawelexy:
Possible situation

1. They stole someone debit card at gun point or by trick and requested for the pin, they avoided the ATM stand cos the machine will take their pictures when used and moreover, withdrawal limit of ATM is also an hindrance, and it will take time to withdraw 500k and above cos ATM max withdrawal at a single transaction is 10-20k. The man suffering from supposed stroke, two kids, referral and the woman are all accomplice.

You have already been indicted cos there's a transactional link between your account and the debit card in question here, if anything should later come up, the bank will definitely trace a link to your account.

What to do; Go to a nearby station and report the case, so as to be exonerated just incase anything springs up. Also, asked them to come and get back the refund in person, secretly take pictures of them, put your phone on record and purposely ask question or initiate a discussion that would make it clear that you are not in anyway related to them and do not have any deal aside for the fact that they are buying goods from you and also returning it to get a refund.

Warning ⚠️: do not accept any form of compensation for refunding them, they might offer you a deal to refund them 900k instead of the 1M they initially sent for the goods, please do not accept it, but however, you can charge them for inconvenience, this can be defended.
Intelligent people are many on nairaland, na tribalism, religion bigot and politics dey divide us. Thank you for this great advice, I hope op can pick this because that issue is capable of hijacking your freedom to prison, God forbid.

Who know if they took the ATM card at gun point and even kill the victim? Becareful op.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by gaddafe(m): 8:04pm On Oct 03, 2023
[quote author=Nairaland1stson post=126160177][/quote]

No matter how it turns out, you will be implicated. What you need to do now is to give yourself a fighting chance. Meet you account officer and block your account. When they come tell them your account is flagged that you are trying to rectify it with the bank. Report to the police and based on the level of trust you have in the said officers, you can get them arrested. If not leave them but let the police know, it will save you in future if there are issues. Your account officer will advice you accordingly but if you don't have issues in 3-5days time then all is well.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Nairaland1stson(m): 8:24pm On Oct 03, 2023
Update: The woman was at my office earlier today. She arrived and later called in the other young man she came with earlier to meet her at my shop. They requested that I refund back thier money but with another account which I declined and told them that I will only return the money the same way it came to me (Back to the POS vendor, and then the POS Vendor returns to them) they began preaching that they didn't know the POS Vendor and there money is not safe if it goes through the vendor that I am the person that they transacted with and not the POS Vendor. After much persuasion from them, I resisted and maintained my stance.

Meanwhile, I spoke to a business colleague of mine about the situation, and he advised that I made an entry at the police before making the refund. My colleague has a police friend whom he called and he arrived at my shop shortly. I gave the police officer a detailed explanation of how the transaction went, and he told me that they were just suspicions and nothing is proven yet. But he suggested that he made an arrest so that they can be interrogated and the matter investigated, which I declined (that will be pushing it too far and is not good for customer service relationship) I told him i just wanted the matter registered with the police incase of any future occurrence. I seeked his advice (police officer) on how the money should be returned, and he said I should find out the woman's real name thereafter I should request for her account details (to probably check if both names tally) and I should also make sure to keep evidence of the refund transaction.

My instincts didn't buy his idea. I wanted to make sure the money was returned the same way it came to me. I concluded my entry with the police officer, and he left.

The woman and her accomplice were still at my shop when the police officer left, but they were not aware who he was and what he came for. The woman, while interacting with her accomplice, she complained about someone who was giving her troubles and the guy responded saying that if the person had troubled her further more that he would not hesitate to shoot him dead. (I think the conversation was a deliberate one to scare me, but I no send them)

I requested that they get the POS vendor so she can provide me with the account she transferred the money from. Seeing that i was not ready to succumb to their request, they called the POS vendor. When she arrived, I requested for her account details, which I transferred the total money back to the vendors account (with the remark "PART PAYMENT REFUND FOR ****" )

I made sure to collect the deposit receipt i issued to her immediately and also informed the POS vendor to ensure she refunds the money back to the same account she pulled it from for her own safety. Right in front of me, she requested the same account, but the woman gave out an account with a different name, but the same bank. She claimed that she made a change of name in her account bla bla bla.

I had to dismiss them from my shop cause I have done my part already.

Thanks for the advice I got from you all. It was indeed helpful, and it guided me a lot.

4 Likes

Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 8:44pm On Oct 03, 2023
Ignore this person, he might be one of them.
Tinubuagbado:

You give the money and hands off. Don't get yourself involve in problems you don't need.

Don't listen to these frausters telling you to withold the money.
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by President2001(m): 9:21pm On Oct 03, 2023
Proceed to police station straight
Re: I Think I Might Have A Case Of Money Laundering by Taiwo20(m): 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2023
Nairaland1stson:

If you must refund, go to the bank and refund via the same POS to the same originating bank

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Stabbed To Death By His Girlfriend In Italy (photos) / EFCC Arrests 8 Yahoo Boys In Ilorin, Kwara State / Policeman Kills 40-Year-Old Benalayefa Asiayei In Bayelsa Over ₦200 (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.