Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,150 members, 7,963,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 06:19 PM

Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! (10102 Views)

Ambode Orders The Repair Of Lagos-Badagry Expressway / Biafra: Court Provides Barricade For Witnesses Against Kanu [PHOTOS] / Lagos-badagry Expressway To Be Closed On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 12:37am On Oct 23, 2011
lasu offers scholarship to its student, all u need to do it to have a c.g.p.a of 4.00 and above and yur tuition wil b refunded back to u plus additional 20k wil b given to d student. d student wil continue to enjoy scholarship so far he or she stil maintain at least 3.5 .this is what brillant stu are enjoy and it has really help hundreth of lasu student
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 12:45am On Oct 23, 2011
luvola:

lasu offers scholarship to its student, all u need to do it to have a c.g.p.a of 4.00 and above and yur tuition wil b refunded back to u plus additional 20k wil b given to d student.  d student wil continue to enjoy scholarship so far he or she stil maintain at least 3.5 .this is what brillant stu are enjoy and it has really help hundreth of lasu student

What is the scale for LASU? Is an A a 5 or 4?

If A=5 and all they are asking for is 4.00 out of 5.00, then what is the frikking problem here  Frikking dead easy to get that.

Even if A=4.0, then you can still get a 4.0 if you study your @ss off and are intelligent.

Na wa o

Face your books, study hard and you won't pay money for school, if what he is saying is correct.

Is this so hard?

So there is even already scholarship for students who are willing to work hard and not be lazy.

So these foolish protesting students should probably be studying. Maybe all the time they spend not focusing on school is why they have bad grades and are in the mess they are in.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 12:51am On Oct 23, 2011
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/lasu-sets-pace-rewards-545-brilliant-students-with-scholarships/

LASU sets pace, rewards 545 brilliant students with scholarships
on AUGUST 25, 2011 · in EDUCATION

… Have minimum 4.0 CGPA

By Emmanuel Edukugho

Lagos State University (LASU) Ojo, has rewarded 545 students with scholarships for their diligence and hardwork at an award ceremony inside the MBA Auditorium on main campus last Friday, presided over by Acting Vice Chancellor, Professor Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello. She recalled in an address during the occasion that the university annual award for scholars was introduced by the immediate past Vice Chancellor, Professor Lateef Akanni Hussein who believes in hardwork and merit. The award is given to all students who have attained a minimum of 4.0 in their Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) at the end of every session.

Another quote:

The Acting Vice Chancellor told the excited awardees who thronged the Auditorium that what they are collecting today may be very meager, saying, “but believe me; you are writing your names in gold for history to always remember you, he added: “If the university has decided to give you N25,000.00 and requested you not to pay for tuition fee for each session you win this award, believe, this is still little to what your diligence and hardwork will give you in future.”

Very useless and lazy students! Thunder fire their nyanshes.

Mr. Emmanuel Ogunkoya, a student of Chemical and Polymer Engineering with 4.78 CGPA. Responding on behalf of the awardees, described LASU as being located in the state of acquatic splendour, excellence, academic achievements, with respect for human rights and justice. While thanking his HOD for being the best student, he advised others to put in their best to excel also. He promised to be more diligent in his studies and maintain high academic standard.

Another outstanding scholar, Miss Chinwe Onyeziri with 4.76 CGPA from Microbiology Department, felt honoured and privileged, humbled to be called upon to speak to these beautiful students.

I bet you will not find these two students amongst the protesters.

Carry go, Fashola. Raise the tuition, and then let everyone who cannot get higher than a 4.0 out of 5.0 pay full price.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 12:56am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

This is pretty much the same thing as the oil subsidy stuff.

Absolutely!

I could even see if it were an intelligently designed subsidy, where the top 10% of students admitted to each program get to pay reduced fees. Merit scholarships, I'm very much in favor of.

I dont know many places where people award merit based scholarships in this age and time. The existential question here is , What is merit?  The guy who cheated on JAMB and score 320s but couldnt express herself in passable English at UI ? or the guy with a 290 on JAMB who was asked to withdraw from the faculty of medicine at OAU  or the guy with a 210 on JAMB who nevertheless graduated in the top 10% of his MBBS class. Every Nigerian can relate to the above scenarios.

Most scholarships in America are need based, not merit based. Pell grant and tiution aid grant from the state readily come to mind.

But a blanket subsidy for all?

What about Pell grant and graduate assistant-ship that all graduates get?

So even the guy who barely gets into LASU is heavily subsidized by Lagos State?

What do you mean by "barely gets into LASU?"

The guy who gets a perfect score on JAMB and chooses LASU as his first choice pays the same amount as the guy who gets the minimum required to get in?

First of all, NO ONE GETS perfect score on JAMB. NO one has been able to do it and no one has even gotten close to 81% on JAMB. And most high scorers, circa 300 range, cheated.

You want to ask those illiterate mechanics to be subsidizing  a not-so-bright guy who barely got into LASU?

Even if that was true, the society eventually benefits from subsidizing the education of those willing to put themselves through the grinder for a college degree:

"In regions with a highly educated labor force, all workers ( including your fictitious mechanic) — not just those with advanced educational achievements — receive higher wages than their counterparts in regions with lesser  educational attainment. These monetary benefits have been measured using widely varying techniques, such as by examining the economic performance of regions with different shares of college graduates in the labor force

Also, Intergenerational social benefits may be very large as degree attainment today translates into higher probabilities of degree attainment in future generations."

Who, truth be told probably shouldn't even be in college anyway, but should instead be learning a trade?

So elitist. Nuff said

Just a very poor allocation of resources.

I'd say the same thing too if I was living in America.

Oh well, that is the nature of life on this continent called Africa, I suppose  undecided

Poor public policy, poor decision making with predictably disastrous results.

Anyway, kudos to Ghana for getting it right (at least if this KNUST is any indication.)

LOL. Politics poster of the year, 2011
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 12:59am On Oct 23, 2011
LASU says to you that if you study hard and face your books, you don't have to pay any tuition. They will even give you additional spending money.

Simple 4.0 out of 5.0 is all they want.

If I had a son who was amongst these protesters and he has less than a 4.0 GPA, I would give that foolish boy the beating of his life.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 1:02am On Oct 23, 2011
Ekt_bear don't get carried away by your free market angst. Lol

In the Obodo Oyinbo America you are in, after giving full scholarship to brilliant 4.0 students, shey they don't give student loans to the not-so-brilliant ones? Especially the poor ones.

Your point about cost and efficiency is correct but, don't be evil.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 1:04am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

[size=18pt]Simple 4.0 out of 5.0 is all they want.[/size]

Simple if you attended private school all your life and live on campus and have light 24/7 and have textbooks and functioning library and competent teachers and laptops and well designed curriculum and teachers who dont have to sleep with you to grade you fairly and very good on campus security to combat disruption of prep time by cultists and etc
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 1:07am On Oct 23, 2011
Kilode?!:

Ekt_bear don't get carried away by your free market angst. Lol

In the Obodo Oyinbo America you are in, after giving full scholarship to brilliant 4.0 students, shey they don't give student loans to the not-so-brilliant ones? Especially the poor ones.

Your point about cost and efficiency is correct but, don't be evil.

Dont mind him, Even harvard awards need based scholarship.

If you make less than 60000 dolls at Harvard, you attend free. Same at Yale and Cornell. And I am sure other schools are following suit.

Ekt Bear just wants to win Poster of the year I think. He is just trolling.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 1:09am On Oct 23, 2011
My brother, from what it looks like, they are just asking for 4.0 out of 5.0.

I.e., B average in your classes.

Even if they asked for 4.0 out of 4.0, and you know that this is the difference between you being able to afford school or not, won't you spend 12+ hours a day in the library (or wherever) studying?

Not to talk of simple 4.0/5.0?

The more I think about these foolish students, the angrier I get.

So Lagos State government should be subsidizing the education of some halfwits who don't even want to work hard in school and do well?

Subsidize these same lazy students who no one will even want to hire once they graduate?

These students are crooks and thieves.

Roads need to be built, primary and secondary school needs to be improved. Yet Lagos should be spending money on lazy and useless students like this?

Fvck that
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 1:11am On Oct 23, 2011
arsenefc:

Simple if you attended private school all your life and live on campus and have light 24/7 and have textbooks and functioning library and competent teachers and laptops and well designed curriculum and teachers who dont have to sleep with you to grade you fairly and very good on campus security to combat disruption of prep time by cultists and etc

Read this twice.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 1:11am On Oct 23, 2011
I am not against loans being given out to these students.

But NO to any more subsidy for them.

Lagos has offered a fair deal. Study, get a 4.0 out of 5.0 and you pay zero tuition!

That is a motherfucking fair-@ss deal.

Everyone else, either take loan or pay the full rate yourselves.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Kilode1: 1:16am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

I am not against loans being given out to these students.

But NO to any more subsidy for them.

Lagos has offered a fair deal. Study, get a 4.0 out of 5.0 and you pay zero tuition!

That is a motherfucking fair-@ss deal.

Everyone else, either take loan or pay the full rate yourselves.

Wey the loan now?

It's really unfortunate that you call these kids crooks and thieves. Think about the leadership they see.

The average Human being is rational and can recognize a fair deal. You need to View it from their POV to show some empathy.

Anyway, maybe I should stop now.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 1:17am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

My brother,

BTW, Kilode is Yoruba and since your name sounds like Rashan or something like that, I dont think you are qualified to use that "my brother" epithet.

from what it looks like, they are just asking for 4.0 out of 5.0.

And you think everyone is as smart as you, who had 4.0/4.0 in college and grad school or isnt that what you claimed on the other thread?

I.e., B average in your classes.

If that was easy, how come most people graduate college with a "C" average

Even if they asked for 4.0 out of 4.0, and you know that this is the difference between you being able to afford school or not, won't you spend 12+ hours a day in the library (or wherever) studying?

Which library? The one with no Librarian or the one that never opens, except when the governor is visiting? Or the one that doubles as the school cafeteria?

Not to talk of simple 4.0/5.0?

Indeed!

These students are crooks and thieves.

Again I present to you all, NL poster of the year, 2011. Pretty much most people on NL are crooks, according to Mr. Ekt Bear. The same people that would vote for you when the time comes to choose NL poster of the year. Nice way to endear yourself to them

Roads need to be built, primary and secondary school needs to be improved.

Road like the one leading to  Tinubu's Swiss banks?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 1:21am On Oct 23, 2011
Kilode?!:

Wey the loan now?

It's really unfortunate that you call these kids crooks and thieves. Think about the leadership they see.

The average Human being is rational and can recognize a fair deal. You need to View it from their POV to show some empathy.

Lagos should provide loan facility for students. It should also introduce the tuition increase more slowly.

But once the loan is provided, everyone will have to stand on their own two feet. No subsidy unless you meet certain academic cutoffs.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by BlackLibya: 1:26am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lagos should provide loan facility for students. It should also introduce the tuition increase more slowly.

But once the loan is provided, everyone will have to stand on their own two feet. No subsidy unless you meet certain academic cutoffs.

are you crazy? Providing loans causes the price of education to skyrocket. Look at the USA.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by arsenefc: 1:34am On Oct 23, 2011
BlackLibya:

are you crazy? Providing loans causes the price of education to skyrocket. Look at the USA.

BTW, how dare you insult our NL genius? The one and only intellectual. The most educated intellectual we have around. An abomination

PS: Very good point you raised

Kilode?!:

Wey the loan now?

Mr. EKt Bear gets mad and insults random people once he is out-debated by "hinterland" educated Nigerians like your awesome self.

He gets flustered and cant understand how a well educated person like himself with degrees from prestigious American universities could be easily out-debated by an hinterland educated and very humble person like you.

Hey, keep your head up, ignore the insults.  grin
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 1:35am On Oct 23, 2011
If you are a poor man in this life, then you will have to work harder and study harder than everyone else. You cannot be just average or below-average academically and expect to move up a peg.

Books don't discriminate based upon how much money you have. A calculus exam doesn't care how rich your father is. If you study for it and master the material, you will do better than your competitors.

Anyway, if Lagos provides loan facility, then there is no justification for any complaints about cost-reflective tuition charges.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by emiye(m): 1:36am On Oct 23, 2011
@ ekt bear  .
While i share a great chunk of your arguments, i disagree with the statement a simple 4 out of 5.
though i perfectly understand why you call it simple.  

In virtually all govt. Universities in Nigeria, making 4 out of 5 can be compared to making over 3.8 out of 4 in uk, us schools.
That is why i can almost bet that if you can honestly make a 3.0/ 5.0 in Nigeria, you will make easily 3.0/4.0 in uk,us schools.

Hope you get the comparism, The average Nigerian govt University lecturers takes pride in how many students failed his/her course in the last "100" academic sessions
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 1:37am On Oct 23, 2011
And here I'm still angry about my own 15% increase.

700% is too much nau. Wetin dem dey learn for there wey no dey Abuja? undecided
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 1:40am On Oct 23, 2011
emiye:

@ ekt bear  .
While i share a great chunk of your arguments, i disagree with the statement a simple 4 out of 5.
though i perfectly understand why you call it simple.  

In virtually all govt. Universities in Nigeria, making 4 out of 5 can be compared to making over 3.8 out of 4 in uk, us schools.
That is why i can almost bet that if you can honestly make a 3.0/ 5.0 in Nigeria, you will make easily 3.0/4.0 in uk,us schools.

Hope you get the comparism, The average Nigerian govt University lecturers takes pride in how many students failed his/her course in the last "100" academic sessions

Point taken.

And if tuition is raised for all, then perhaps this threshold for LASU can be reduced from 4.0/5 to 3.5/5. Who knows? A lot more merit scholarship money is available if you do cost-reflective tuition.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 1:41am On Oct 23, 2011
also 70% of lasu stu are indigen of lag and lag govt usually give a bursary of 25k xvry session to all its indigen.on this aspect i give kudos to them but d truith is that alot of people may not be able to pay this new tuition fees considering d level to income. there is also a scholarship test for indigen ,u write d test and if u pass d test ,u get 250k.2 ladies in my dept wrote this test and won 250k each.it a yearly scholarship test.lol@est
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by emiye(m): 1:53am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

Point taken.

And if tuition is raised for all, then perhaps this threshold for LASU can be reduced from 4.0/5 to 3.5/5. Who knows? A lot more merit scholarship money is available if you do cost-reflective tuition.

"Maybe", you are right on that, and raising of the tuition must be gradual. I am almost certain the current fee will be reviewed downwards. The hike in tuition must be less than 100% .
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 2:02am On Oct 23, 2011
@ emi - i agree with u,d increment shud b gradual
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by luvola(m): 2:03am On Oct 23, 2011
@ emi - i agree with u,d increment shud b gradual
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 2:10am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt bear, lol I read the thread, liked how you handled that ediot. Told you it pays to ignore imbeciles on here.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 2:13am On Oct 23, 2011
Haha

I don't plan on ever responding to that m0ron again

He is only worthy of ridicule and mockery

Court jester of Nairaland
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 2:15am On Oct 23, 2011
wink

BlackLibya:

How true is this?
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by ektbear: 2:17am On Oct 23, 2011
It isn't true at all.

Loans have increased access to college, not decreased it.

In fact, in my opinion, due to easy loans, too many people are going to college in the US.

People'll spend 4 years in college studying useless degrees like marketing, Hispanic studies, etc only to end up doing jobs a bright 11 year old kid could do.

Or people taking out huge loans to go to 3rd rate law schools, burying themselves in debt and being essentially unemployable once they finish school.

Terrible use of resources.

But America is a rich and prosperous country, so can afford to waste a bit here and there.

Nigeria is a poor country, so cannot.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 2:23am On Oct 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

It isn't true at all.

Loans have increased access to college, not decreased it.

In fact, in my opinion, due to easy loans, too many people are going to college in the US.

People'll spend 4 years in college studying useless degrees like marketing, Hispanic studies, etc only to end up doing jobs a bright 11 year old kid could do.

Or people taking out huge loans to go to 3rd rate law schools, burying themselves in debt and being essentially unemployable once they finish school.

Terrible use of resources.

But America is a rich and prosperous country, so can afford to waste a bit here and there.

Nigeria is a poor country, so cannot.

I think both of you are saying the same thing.

But how has it directly increased school tuition, loans have been available since nau.

LMAO@ Hispanic studies. I actually find any ethnic studies to be VERY important, but boring. We need to understand the world around us, or we'll never live in harmony.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 2:23am On Oct 23, 2011
Yea, law school is unnecessarily high.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by BlackLibya: 2:25am On Oct 23, 2011
^^^^

100% true they have increased access.

They have also removed the price ceiling, so schools can charge whatever and the govt will loan money(through corporations).

It has created a whole industry out of it, where everyone was fooled into believing that if you went to college you would come out and get a good job. There is a whole story about that, too long to type, and nigerians wont believe it anyway.
Re: Protesting Lasu Students Barricade Lagos-badagry Expressway! by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 23, 2011
BlackLibya:

^^^^

100% true they have increased access.

They have also removed the price ceiling, so schools can charge whatever and the govt will loan money(through corporations).

It has created a whole industry out of it, where everyone was fooled into believing that if you went to college you would come out and get a good job. There is a whole story about that, too long to type, and nigerians wont believe it anyway.
I see.

Yea, this is my only worry as of NOW. The way things are moving.

Btw, I dont beieve any serious person should stop at Bachelors. Anybody can gt that one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fashola Plans N60 Billion Alternative To Ikorodu Road / Africa's Political Situation Is Caused By The Low IQ Of The People. / Osun Government Seeks China’s Support For Airport Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.