Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,648 members, 7,979,193 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 11:11 PM

Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? (23732 Views)

Urgent: Opening OperaMini OBML Format File On A PC / Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? / How To Block Some Websites On A PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by sconsults: 7:32pm On Dec 05, 2011
if u erase pencil writings.where does it go?? grin grin grin
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by mykali(m): 8:08pm On Dec 05, 2011
i just got educated. i usually thought deleted files from the bin don't exist no more
thanks guys
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Kc3000: 8:10pm On Dec 05, 2011
@ eros trynna delete all that p.orn, huh? grin
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by sniperwolf(m): 8:27pm On Dec 05, 2011
Replies are so interesting. The File Shredder in TuneUp Utility has I think 3 option for shredding files, why is that so and which one completely remove the file from the PC
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by netghost: 9:01pm On Dec 05, 2011
[size=18pt]TO HEAVEN [/size]
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Korrection(m): 9:15pm On Dec 05, 2011
e dey enter voice mail ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by aieromon(m): 9:18pm On Dec 05, 2011
These are the type of threads that should make it to the frontpage.

Thanks for the information.
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 05, 2011
sniperwolf:

Replies are so interesting. The File Shredder in TuneUp Utility has I think 3 option for shredding files, why is that so and which one completely remove the file from the PC

Tuneup offers three file shredding methods: Secure deletion, DoD5220.22 and Gutmann method. These are overwriting techniques. Previous replies have talked about overwriting.
Secure deletion (which I think uses the 'Fast' algorithm). This technique gives you 1 pass shredding: your data is overwritten with zeroes.
DoD5220.22 gives you 3 pass shredding: 1st pass: your data is overwritten with zeroes, 2nd pass: overwritten with ones and  3rd pass: with random bytes.
Gutmann gives you 35 passes (which involves overwriting data 35 times, with 35 different types of new data)
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Dsage1: 10:08pm On Dec 05, 2011
If i format a system in order to installed a new window,can all d previous file/program dat ve been formated be retrieve by d file recovery software. 2ndly,is it posible to retrieve,delete or add file through MS dos.
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by dantitiki(m): 12:19am On Dec 06, 2011
undecided

If deleted files remain on the HD someway or the other, what then happens on a formatted Disk
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Seunbuddy(m): 12:46am On Dec 06, 2011
the most educative post in recent times. But it seems a lot of you have got skeletons on your hard drives grin grin grin
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by tayoast(m): 1:15am On Dec 06, 2011
Wallie:

You already got the answers. The address of the deleted files becomes available to be re-assigned. The file is still there but the OS does not know its location. There are tools to recover deleted files and also tools to completely delete files by writing on the same address a number of times.

For example, if your file occupied address 0x1 - 0x9 and you delete the file, that means that the OS can write new info to that location. If a new file is written to that location but you only used the first 2 adrresses, i.e., 0x1 and 0x2, then you can only retrieve part of the original file written to 0x3-0x9 fully intact.

I say fully intact because addresses are usually 32 or 64 bits and just because you write to a location do not mean that you're using all the bits available to you. For example, 1 is just going to occupy the first bit of address 0x1 while FFFF will occupy all the bits.

Highly educative
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by icez: 1:35am On Dec 06, 2011
good.
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by icemann(m): 2:08am On Dec 06, 2011
dantitiki:

undecided

If deleted files remain on the HD someway or the other, what then happens on a formatted Disk

The files are still there, The indexes and pointers are just erased
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Nobody: 3:18am On Dec 06, 2011
Seunbuddy:

the most educative post in recent times. But it seems a lot of you have got skeletons on your hard drives grin grin grin

Nah, not naked bones, naked bodies,  cheesy
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Seunbuddy(m): 4:14am On Dec 06, 2011
musKeeto:

Nah, not naked bones, naked bodies,  cheesy

Oh I seeeeeeee, only to download new ones 2 days later, hehehe
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by BloodShed1: 4:33am On Dec 06, 2011
If they don't completely go away then how do you get rid of them for good?
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by denzel2009: 4:49am On Dec 06, 2011
Blood_Shed:

If they don't completely go away then how do you get rid of them for good?

They would be sanitized/degaussed. Even at that, there are state-of-the-art recovery tools with corporations such as the fbi and cia to recover data from the disks. The best way to get rid and protect information on the hard disk is to totally destroy it by incineration.
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Josyrogers(m): 8:22am On Dec 06, 2011
Well, me pastor say that if it was a good file it would go to e-heaven where it is possible to retrieve them using special document-soul-retrieving software. But if it was a bad file, such as, well, you know those bad files, and those of you who view them shall follow your files to where they go!!
Sorry for the deviation.
Bad files would go to e-HELLFIRE!!! Nothing you do can retrieve them. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahaaahahahah
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by lynkyinka(m): 8:40am On Dec 06, 2011
nice piece of info from every contributor,
therez been a great deal of addition to my existing knowledge
THANKS
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by carlton(m): 8:53am On Dec 06, 2011
hey my External hard drive wont open please how do i get my 500mg information trapped inside?
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Bestglo(f): 9:40am On Dec 06, 2011
i'm learning
sconsults:

if u erase pencil writings.where does it go?? grin grin grin

it joins the dust grin
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by wale4x35(m): 9:45am On Dec 06, 2011
During the good old days of MSDOS when a file is deleted; the first character of the filename is changed to hex E5; so what I usually do to recover such file was to transverse the FAT and as soon as a filename whose first character is HEX E5 is encountered with semblance to the deleted file, I prompt for new filename.

For example

accounts.db after deletion becomes ?ccounts.db

What happens on an NTFS (Windows 2000 – Windows XP) partition when you or the system deletes a file is totally different ball game.

Such deletion can be broken down into
[list]
[li]Moving To Recycle Bin - The MFT entry is modified i.e given a new filename and the file is moved to a special security directory created per user and its original filename stored in the special file INFO2 [/li]
[li]Empty Recycle BIN - INFO2 is emptied [/li]
[/list]

Vista no longer uses INFO2.

Hope this information helps,
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by pejol: 9:54am On Dec 06, 2011
house, i need a bulk sms, how can i get any good and cheep one, around Abuja, pls i need ur reply as urgent as possible, wanpele4good@yahoo.com
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Victorsky(m): 10:03am On Dec 06, 2011
A common misconception is that the data is actually removed from the hard drive (erased) when you delete a file. Any time that a file is deleted on a hard drive, it is not erased. Instead, the tiny bit of information that points to the location of the file on the hard drive is erased. This pointer, along with other pointers for every folder and file on the hard drive, is saved in a section near the beginning of the hard drive and is used by the operating system to compile the directory tree structure. By erasing the pointer file, the actual file becomes invisible to the operating system. Eventually, the hard drive will write new data over the area where the old file is located.

There are several hard disk utilities that you can find on the Internet that allow you to recover "deleted" files. What these utilities do is search for data on the hard drive that does not have corresponding pointer information and present you with a list of these files. Your chances of fully recovering a file diminish the longer you wait after you deleted the file since the probability that the file has been overwritten increases. Sometimes you can recover portions of a file that has not been completely overwritten.
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by johhnnie(m): 10:12am On Dec 06, 2011
pls, peeps ! what now happens to the file when you eventually format the drive?
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Htman: 11:29am On Dec 06, 2011
black hole tongue tongue
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by Slogan13(m): 11:59am On Dec 06, 2011
Your deleted files are still there. Unless you bring out your HDD and break them into pieces and burn them. There loads of programs that can fish out all datas that has existed in any PC or Mac.
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by murtalaa(m): 3:55pm On Dec 06, 2011
What if you format your computer and install a fresh OS. would your files and folders still be recoverable? If yes, pls any free software i could use?
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by otitisteve: 5:19pm On Dec 06, 2011
My toilet
Re: Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? by anafest: 5:36pm On Dec 06, 2011
trash, i guess

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Share Your "I Can't Do Without" PC Softwares / Macbook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro Unboxing And Price / Guides For Buying New Or Used Laptops For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.