Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,648 members, 7,878,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:59 AM

Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market (22324 Views)

Dollar Hits All-time Low, Crosses N1,500 At Official Market / Naira Hits Record Low Of N1,348.63 /$1 At The Official Market / Naira Falls To All-time Low Of 527 Naira To A Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Trustmea: 7:44am On Oct 20, 2023
emerged01:
Since the beginning of thid dollar naira mess,I have changed everything I used to buy. I now go for substitute of what I used to buy. I no fit kill myself. If toothbrush self too cost I go change to pako. I no fit kill myself o.
Funny thing is that they will still increase the price of locally made products even when it has nothing to do with dollar that's how this country is programed
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by TheOgaBoss: 7:47am On Oct 20, 2023
Vision101:
You are here shouting over a naira that has all these years been overvalued. The over valuation has been supporting your consumption economy and importation business.

The good side is that it will stop the importation mentality. I have been calling my relatives and friends abroad that this is the right time to invest in Nigeria. Just a few dollars and they could own a prime property that the value can sure triple in few years. They could invest in bluechip companies on the stock exchange with few dollars.

Every event is an opportunity for smart and discerning investor. The ordinary people will spend endless time complaining.
Nigeria has bluechip companies? LOL?
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by TheOgaBoss: 7:53am On Oct 20, 2023
orisa37:
NA BANKS: NA BANKS: NA BANKS. CBN IS NOT QUALIFIED AND COMPETENT. ALL OUR COMMERCIAL BANKS' CHIEF EXECUTIVES AND SENIOR MANAGERS ARE GUILTY. THEY SHOULD BE BOUNDLED, ROASTED AND WIPED OUT.
cbn officials and tip politicians are involved in the game too, that is why they cannot regulate banks.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by airsaylongcome: 7:53am On Oct 20, 2023
Artscollection:

Most people don't even understand what is going on, they just type like omokri.

I dey hope say nobi me u dey call omokri sha o
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by sedIoyol(m): 8:05am On Oct 20, 2023
Trustmea:

Funny thing is that they will still increase the price of locally made products even when it has nothing to do with dollar that's how this country is programed
you don't know economics . I am sure you are not business oriented person
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Thegamingorca(m): 8:22am On Oct 20, 2023
BannedUser:

I didn't get to wait that long to preserve the value of my money.

In less than two years, my usd savings has almost doubled in value (Naira-wise).

Here are just some of the purchases I made back then:

I don't understand what you're trying to prove.

What you don't realize is that your money is still worth that same amount in dollars. You have not gained anything by converting to usdt other than saving the value of your money at the point of exchange. The naira continues to be worthless and the moment you change it back to naira, you will only get the equivalent of the naira you exchanged for the US dollar at the time of your purchase all those years ago
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by emerged01(m): 8:28am On Oct 20, 2023
Trustmea:

I tell you! Buhari made us to eat local rice but it became so expensive because the farmers were given opportunity to grow.

1 Like

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 8:46am On Oct 20, 2023
Thegamingorca:

What you don't realize is that your money is still worth that same amount in dollars. You have not gained anything by converting to usdt other than saving the value of your money at the point of exchange. The naira continues to be worthless and the moment you change it back to naira, you will only get the equivalent of the naira you exchanged for the US dollar at the time of your purchase all those years ago
I'm tired of explaining and talking to that dude...once he converts back to naira ... the money is still worthless coz of inflation self
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by modernWays: 8:50am On Oct 20, 2023
Ckonnet:

So they should be keeping the naira that is dipping angry

Invest your money in stocks or physical business and stop keeping dollar to cause havoc on our economy.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Ckonnet: 9:14am On Oct 20, 2023
modernWays:

Invest your money in stocks or physical business and stop keeping dollar to cause havoc on our economy.

I know you don't understand what is going on so no need explaining to you.

1 Like

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by IbeOkehie: 9:43am On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

Asin ehn... I just dey laff... like they dont have expenses to make or what ....

How can somebody store cash since 2011 till date and leave it untouched ..lmao

Somebody said he saved in dollars back in 2013 (950k naira) ... now he withdrew the money in 2023 (4.4mill naira)

So , he took 10 good years to gain profit of 3 million naira... 10 yrs to make 3 mill doesn't sound impressive self to me

Plus, I can bet you , whatever you planned to buy 2013 be it car or anything, by 2023 when you withdraw your money, INFLATION will be waiting for you

My frnd in uni bought Lexus rx350 suv in 2014 2.7 mill, even if he had saved that money in dollars to make 3 mill profit ..today that same car cost 6.6 million naira.

Still arguing about a very clear issue. 🙄 I had this same discussion on another thread with someone claiming that investing in Nigerian real estate is better than saving in dollars.

Now you're making fun of "salary earners". Again very elementary things...

1) Business owners and investors also have savings accounts, even LONG TERM savings accounts. I'm sure even Bill Gates and Aliko Dangote have some savings.

2) As I wrote on this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/7772322/japa-worth-it/15#125548332
saving in dollars is the basic MINIMUM that anyone should do. Even doing that BASIC LEVEL of saving still puts you ahead of anyone saving in naira. The situation goes off the charts when you INVEST the dollars in USA assets. That's what many people do including businessmen...they invest for the long term as a form of pension!

Do you also want to argue about the relative returns of USA based assets compared to Nigeria based assets? Even Dangote is moving assets to the USA to escape the stagnant Nigerian economy

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-09/africa-s-richest-man-plans-u-s-office-to-help-diversify-wealth

Are you smarter than Dangote❗️❓️❗️

Kachidubem:

I'm tired of explaining and talking to that dude...once he converts back to naira ... the money is still worthless coz of inflation self

You're just wrong. Sorry 😞

It's terrible trying to have a logical discussion with most Nigerians. 😕 A very special people indeed.

Enjoy your country😉 thank goodness I can't be there with you 😅

3 Likes

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 10:13am On Oct 20, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Still arguing about a very clear issue. 🙄 I had this same discussion on another thread with someone claiming that investing in Nigerian real estate is better than saving in dollars.

Now you're making fun of "salary earners". Again very elementary things...

1) Business owners and investors also have savings accounts, even LONG TERM savings accounts. I'm sure even Bill Gates and Aliko Dangote have some savings.

2) As I wrote on this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/7772322/japa-worth-it/15#125548332
saving in dollars is the basic MINIMUM that anyone should do. Even doing that BASIC LEVEL of saving still puts you ahead of anyone saving in naira. The situation goes off the charts when you INVEST the dollars in USA assets. That's what many people do including businessmen...they invest for the long term as a form of pension!

Do you also want to argue about the relative returns of USA based assets compared to Nigeria based assets? Even Dangote is moving assets to the USA to escape the stagnant Nigerian economy

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-09/africa-s-richest-man-plans-u-s-office-to-help-diversify-wealth

Are you smarter than Dangote❗️❓️❗️

You're just wrong. Sorry 😞

It's terrible trying to have a logical discussion with most Nigerians. 😕 A very special people indeed.

Enjoy your country😉 thank goodness I can't be there with you 😅
Okay

1 Like

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:50am On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

Asin ehn... I just dey laff... like they dont have expenses to make or what ....

How can somebody store cash since 2011 till date and leave it untouched ..lmao

Somebody said he saved in dollars back in 2013 (950k naira) ... now he withdrew the money in 2023 (4.4mill naira)

So , he took 10 good years to gain profit of 3 million naira... 10 yrs to make 3 mill doesn't sound impressive self to me

Plus, I can bet you , whatever you planned to buy 2013 be it car or anything, by 2023 when you withdraw your money, INFLATION will be waiting for you

My frnd in uni bought Lexus rx350 suv in 2014 2.7 mill, even if he had saved that money in dollars to make 3 mill profit ..today that same car cost 6.6 million naira.
Bros what are u saying sef?

that your friend 2.7 m naira 13500 dollars in 2014 is now worth 13m black market rate.

So you see he will buy the car now in 2023 and even have more than enough change to spare to play with that is enough to conveniently buy another same car.

As u can see, Saving in $ is very wise and earning in $ more wiser

3 Likes

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:53am On Oct 20, 2023
modernWays:

govt is not serious

Na govt go drive the process take the initiative

Just like Singapore, Vietnam and China. Govt has to be actively involved and intentional about it.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Artscollection: 11:03am On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Both foreign and indigenous investors begin to avoid it like a plague further complicating the already bad situation.

Don't mind Omokri, weakening currency of a country with terrific foundational problems, division, wrongest value systems, flawed reward system is a Very very bad idea and will never improve export

Honestly is frightening!! with the liquidity crunch, any foreign investor will avoid such economy Because you can't repatriate your profit as well.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 11:18am On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

that your friend 2.7 m (in dollars) 2014 is now worth 13m black market rate.

So you see he will buy the car now in 2023 and even have more than enough change to spare to play with that is enough to conveniently buy another same car.

Not 2,7 million in dollars .... it is 2.7 million in naira

Read again
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 11:18am On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Read read read

He had 2.7 mill naira to buy Lexus in 2014, if he had saved that 2.7 mill naira in dollars and leave it ... it would be like 6.6 mill naira today in 2023

But today , that same lexus car cost 6.6 million naira in 2023... so wetin him gain exactly

My point is ... inflation will not still let you enjoy your money
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:30am On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

Read read read

He had 2.7 mill naira to buy Lexus in 2014, if he had saved that 2.7 mill naira in dollars and leave it ... it would be like 6.6 mill naira today in 2023

But today , that same lexus car cost 6.6 million naira in 2023... so wetin him gain exactly

My point is ... inflation will not still let you enjoy your money
Yea I know it's in naira

Best exchange rate: 185.2778 NGN on 23 Dec 2014. Average exchange rate in 2014: 165.15 NGN. Worst exchange rate: 158.7483 NGN on 04 Jan 2014

So @ N200 to $1 your friend's 2.7 m was $13,500 in 2014

Now in 2023 $13500 is N10,314,000.00 (CBN official rate)

N13,500,000 in black market.

Stop defending bad thing, stop defending these bad leaders (your paymasters).
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 11:31am On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Back in. 2013/14, you could get this car for 2.6 or 2.7 (around that range)

Today , look at the price car dealers are putting ... inflation na vibes killer

Try dey understand my point before you jump

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 11:33am On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Best exchange rate: 185.2778 NGN on 23 Dec 2014. Average exchange rate in 2014: 165.15 NGN. Worst exchange rate: 158.7483 NGN on 04 Jan 2014

I'm done with...happy saving in dollars for 10 years ...and still watch it result to almost nothing meaningful when you concert it back to naira

Byeee
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 11:35am On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

200 naira was $1.... is this one black Market rate ?

So you want to use bank official rate and buy den sell in Market... stop deceiving yourself bro

Tell us if this your 200 to $1 was the official or black market rate
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:16pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

Even if he buys the car at the asking price of 8.350m naira after converting his $13,500 saved since 2014, there will still be change of Over 1m naira remaining. So your friend is still the winner at the end.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by mindtricks: 12:32pm On Oct 20, 2023
Ckonnet:

I know you don't understand what is going on so no need explaining to you.

Some do but pretend.
Same people.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 12:37pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

200 naira was $1.... is this one black Market rate ?

So you want to use bank official rate and buy den sell in Market... stop deceiving yourself bro

Tell us if this your 200 to $1 was the official or black market rate

The pressure on the naira at the foreign exchange market might continue to mount and see further depreciation in value of the naira this year. The Naira fell by 200 kobo on Tuesday, as the parallel market exchange rate rose to N180 per dollar from N178 per dollar on Monday. This was on vanguard newspaper November, 2014

See link here : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/unending-woes-naira-exchange-rate/amp/

As you can see it was even lower than 200 in parallel market! Goodluck really tried for our economy then, if not for insecurity caused by those who swore to make the country ungovernable.

1 Like

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Thegamingorca(m): 1:05pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

What's worse is that the car don tey for market and should cost comparatively less in 2023 as a 2009 car.

If it sure for him make he go price rx350 of 2018 grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 1:15pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

The question we should ask ourselves is that if the car's price tripled after 10 years did our income/salary also triple?

It did not triple that's why the price is killing vibes. Had it been salary or income tripled automatically accordingly in response to devaluation and inflation, buyer would have been able to purchase it conveniently like it was in 2014.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 3:02pm On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Even if he buys the car at the asking price of 8.350m naira after converting his $13,500 saved since 2014, there will still be change of Over 1m naira remaining. So your friend is still the winner at the end.
So ...man a to wait for 9 years to buy his first car in 2023 ... and it a 2009 car

Everything about ypur reasoning and logic about saving is nonsense... sorry man !

I put it to you , you can't save or put your money in place for 9 years untouched...you can't even do it for two years

All these , if to say 'i save in dollars 2013' BLA BLA bla is trash... how many average citizens in this country can actually leave money untouched for that long... abi wahala and expenses don finish
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 3:03pm On Oct 20, 2023
Thegamingorca:

What's worse is that the car don tey for market and should cost comparatively less in 2023 as a 2009 car.

If it sure for him make he go price rx350 of 2018 grin
Abi...na true self ... 2009 car in 2023... almost 14 years ..chai !!!

Na 2018 Lexus Rx we suppose dey talk for 2023 with him saved dollars ...lol
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by Kachidubem: 3:08pm On Oct 20, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Since he saved in dollars and sacrificed 9 good years ...he shouldn't be going for a 2009 car in 2023 ... at least let him get a Tokunbo 2018 Rx350 Lexus

Asking price ; 32 million naira ... choke on it bro.

Saving in dollars still nonsense when you concert it back after years

1 Like

Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 3:29pm On Oct 20, 2023
Kachidubem:

So ...man a to wait for 9 years to buy his first car in 2023 ... and it a 2009 car

Everything about ypur reasoning and logic about saving is nonsense... sorry man !

I put it to you , you can't save or put your money in place for 9 years untouched...you can't even do it for two years

All these , if to say 'i save in dollars 2013' BLA BLA bla is trash... how many average citizens in this country can actually leave money untouched for that long... abi wahala and expenses don finish
Okay I get your point now
I fully agree with you
you win

I apologize for reasoning that way

Pardon me.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by micxwell(m): 4:30pm On Oct 20, 2023
opamoses1:

How many Nigerians spend dollars on a daily or even monthly basis.
You're completely ignorant. You need to get more knowledge.
Re: Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market by micxwell(m): 4:31pm On Oct 20, 2023
valentineuwakwe:
I see it dropping to N900 by December.....
grin grin grin. Should we put a $100USD bet on this one??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Naira Watch: Naira Appreciates To N420/$ / Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation / Setting Up A Cybercafe: Detailed Requirements Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.