Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,876 members, 7,872,891 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:41 AM

Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday (15873 Views)

Sikiratu, Rashidi Yekini's Mother Placed On Monthly Stipend By Sports Ministry / Rashidi Yekini Was Murdered – Segun Odegbami Reveals Why He Thinks So / Sikirat Yekini, Rashidi Yekini Mother Living In Poverty. Petty Goods Not Upto 5k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Ayobeck(m): 5:51am On Oct 23, 2023
The epistle is too much,let corpse rest,,, celebrate other naija player brithday whose there life is miserable now, where's Oruma? Until he died,den u pple will bring out his content life here,so that pple we say ema current ooo..leave rashidi with where he deserved to be from God n
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Oboto700(m): 5:52am On Oct 23, 2023
To be honest...when I watch these guys clips on YouTube..I just come to the conclusion that we don't have natural football talent anymore in the country.
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by BluntCrazeMan: 6:05am On Oct 23, 2023
Oga.. Leave Your Diaries.
Come here and say whatever..

And yes..
This time around,, I didn't even bother to reaad whatever you wrote over there, even though it was supposed to be a very short comment..

With this said,, you can now go back there and do your worst.
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Cruise777: 6:07am On Oct 23, 2023
It's my birthday as well...

Happy post humous birthday to Rashidi Yekini, a very humble man and residence of Ibadan

You always see him Jogging, or training at Lekan Salami Stadium, Or Eleyele Police Ground

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by ejimatic: 6:12am On Oct 23, 2023
naptu2:
Today is Rashidi Yekini's 60th birthday. He was born on October 23rd, 1963 and passed away on May 4th, 2012 (he was 48 years old at the time).

Yekini represented Nigeria at 5 African Nations Cup competitions (1984, 1988, 1990, 1992 and 1994), winning one bronze medal, three silver medals and one gold medal. He also represented Nigeria at two World Cups, USA '94 and France '98.

He is the highest goal scorer ever for Nigeria's men's senior national team (the Super/Green Eagles) with 37 goals in total.

Yekini was the highest goal scorer in Portuguese club football in the 1992/1993 season and he was also the highest goal scorer in the Primiera Liga in the 1993/1994 season.

Yekini played for IICC Shooting Stars of Ibadan, with whom he got to the final of the African Champions Cup (now known as the African Champions League) in 1984 (they lost to Zamalek of Egypt). He later played for Abiola Babes (one of the two millionaire clubs in Nigeria at the time) before leaving Nigeria to play professional football.

He played for Africa Sports in the Ivory Coast, Vitoria Setubal in Portugal (with whom he achieved his greatest success), Olympiakos of Greece, Sporting Gijon in Spain and F.C. Zurich in Switzerland before returning to Nigeria.

After returning to Nigeria, he played for Julius Berger and Gateway FC before retiring in 2005.

On his 60th (posthumous) birthday, we take a look at the amazing feats and goals scored by the goalsfather. See below for videos and pictures of his exploits.

Picture 1) Rashidi Yekini after scoring Nigeria's first ever World Cup goal (against Bulgaria at USA '94).

Picture 2) Google doodle celebrating Yekini's 60th birthday.
. The best striker Nigeria and Africa ever produced with his classical finishes
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Exceed15: 6:13am On Oct 23, 2023
The legend will never be forgotten.
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:19am On Oct 23, 2023
The greatest striker the country has ever produced!
Continue to rest in PEACE!
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 6:27am On Oct 23, 2023
Happy birthday YeKING.
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by NaijaCrusader: 6:29am On Oct 23, 2023
Yeking continue to rest on a true Nigerian legend

naptu2:
Today is Rashidi Yekini's 60th birthday. He was born on October 23rd, 1963 and passed away on May 4th, 2012 (he was 48 years old at the time).

Yekini represented Nigeria at 5 African Nations Cup competitions (1984, 1988, 1990, 1992 and 1994), winning one bronze medal, three silver medals and one gold medal. He also represented Nigeria at two World Cups, USA '94 and France '98.

He is the highest goal scorer ever for Nigeria's men's senior national team (the Super/Green Eagles) with 37 goals in total.

Yekini was the highest goal scorer in Portuguese club football in the 1992/1993 season and he was also the highest goal scorer in the Primiera Liga in the 1993/1994 season.

Yekini played for IICC Shooting Stars of Ibadan, with whom he got to the final of the African Champions Cup (now known as the African Champions League) in 1984 (they lost to Zamalek of Egypt). He later played for Abiola Babes (one of the two millionaire clubs in Nigeria at the time) before leaving Nigeria to play professional football.

He played for Africa Sports in the Ivory Coast, Vitoria Setubal in Portugal (with whom he achieved his greatest success), Olympiakos of Greece, Sporting Gijon in Spain and F.C. Zurich in Switzerland before returning to Nigeria.

After returning to Nigeria, he played for Julius Berger and Gateway FC before retiring in 2005.

On his 60th (posthumous) birthday, we take a look at the amazing feats and goals scored by the goalsfather. See below for videos and pictures of his exploits.

Picture 1) Rashidi Yekini after scoring Nigeria's first ever World Cup goal (against Bulgaria at USA '94).

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by AndroBlaze: 6:36am On Oct 23, 2023
naptu2:

Easily the greatest hero of my Nigerian youth, thank you Naptu2 for this thread...you too much.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by BluntCrazeMan: 6:38am On Oct 23, 2023
Over there,, it's entertainment for you..

Over here,, it's entertainment for me.

Over there, your fun over there..
And here, my fun over here..

You can go back to your diary and show them your bombom again as usual.
As you dance nakkid in your market-square diary,, I am off here..
Bye for now.
Duty calls.

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by naptu2: 6:40am On Oct 23, 2023
AndroBlaze:

Easily the greatest hero of my Nigerian youth, thank you Naptu2 for this thread...you too much.

My pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 23, 2023
More years to him
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by VEHINTOLAR: 6:46am On Oct 23, 2023
Legend ! May his soul continue to rest in peace
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by GreatrAnalyst: 6:53am On Oct 23, 2023
Wow...
Same with Pele!
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Kingray10: 7:12am On Oct 23, 2023
Wonderful memories πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—
Happy posthumous birthday YekiniπŸŽ‚πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‰
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by AntiChristian: 7:16am On Oct 23, 2023
Person wet don die you still dey count him birthday!

When he was in need and alive who remember am?

We Sabi remember the dead in the wrong way!

The family members may gather and spend money that could have healed/relieved the dead...
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by proudly9ja(m): 7:48am On Oct 23, 2023
Wow @naptu2, great job on this thread!

I started following the Eagles during qualification for Senegal 92 and you have done justice to Yekini's great impact.
I will like to add that Westerhof used the ANC qualification games to try out home based players but he would always include Yekini from Setubal because as long as you have Yeking in the team, Victoria Ascerta!
I remember those games against Burkina Faso, Benin, etc very well. Those were games Westerhof used to try out players like Inienger, Monye, and even Finidi before he went to Ajax.

You missed the 94 World Cup qualifying games with Congo. Same group with South Africa in the first group games. We beat Congo away via a Keshi free kick and then with an almost all home based team, beat them in Enugu 2-0 but not before the crowd started singing "All we are saying, no more home based". Wow. Those were the games.

I remember I used to go watch the SE training at the National Stadium in Lagos. Oliseh is right, you could have almost 30k fans there just to watch them train. Amazing!

Thank you for the memories Yekini.

Thank you for this thread @naptu2

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by spiSeyi: 7:57am On Oct 23, 2023
He paid my school fees when I had no hope of going to school, and helped to feed me, and my siblings and friends when we had nothing to feed on. The man is the kindest human I have ever met, anyone who met him during his lifetime has already been liberated from poverty for life embarassed.

4 Likes

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Nextt: 8:00am On Oct 23, 2023
I celebrate Rashidi Yekini today on his 60th posthumous birthday. He, along with his teammates, made the debut of Nigeria in the world cup memorable with his unmatchable agility and skill. The goal he netted against Bulgaria is an iconic preservation in the immortal album of Time.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Bfly: 8:11am On Oct 23, 2023
Nonsense
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by naptu2: 8:14am On Oct 23, 2023
proudly9ja:
Wow @naptu2, great job on this thread!

I started following the Eagles during qualification for Senegal 92 and you have done justice to Yekini's great impact.
I will like to add that Westerhof used the ANC qualification games to try out home based players but he would always include Yekini from Setubal because as long as you have Yeking in the team, Victoria Ascerta!
I remember those games against Burkina Faso, Benin, etc very well. Those were games Westerhof used to try out players like Inienger, Monye, and even Finidi before he went to Ajax.

You missed the 94 World Cup qualifying games with Congo. Same group with South Africa in the first group games. We beat Congo away via a Keshi free kick and then with an almost all home based team, beat them in Enugu 2-0 but not before the crowd started singing "All we are saying, no more home based". Wow. Those were the games.

I remember I used to go watch the SE training at the National Stadium in Lagos. Oliseh is right, you could have almost 30k fans there just to watch them train. Amazing!

Thank you for the memories Yekini.

Thank you for this thread @naptu2

Thank you.
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by mukthar2000(m): 8:28am On Oct 23, 2023
This are the football hero that suffered to male sure that footballer's of today to enjoy .

Rest well yekini.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Jesusmylord(m): 8:30am On Oct 23, 2023
These are one of the few Nigerians who served their country with all their strength and passion.

They are not the online warriors whose their best wishes are the downfall of our beloved Nigeria.

The labour of our Heroes past shall never be in vain....

Keep resting our Hero. Nigeria and the whole world celebrate you today.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by judedwriter(m): 8:40am On Oct 23, 2023
No one can be exactly like Rashidi yekini, he can never be replicated again.

He remains arguably the best striker Nigeria has produced.

How's the government immortalized him?
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Enceladus(m): 8:53am On Oct 23, 2023
The Goalsfather, Hero, Legend!! A beast on the ball. Rest on.
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by BENEAMATA: 9:01am On Oct 23, 2023
The only Nigerian striker with two surnames ,

First name ; RASHIDI
Second name ; YEKINI
Family name ; It's a goal !

1 Like

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by 9jaBloke: 9:01am On Oct 23, 2023
Thank you naptu2, for always.
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by sedIoyol(m): 9:17am On Oct 23, 2023
HBD
Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by phemmyfour: 9:39am On Oct 23, 2023
naptu2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashidi_Yekini

Picture 1) African Footballer of the Year award. Chief MKO Abiola, Rashidi Yekini and Issa Hayatou (CAF president).
Great guy....his records linger for both Country n Continent. Agba baller to n jαΊΉ goal bi chin chin

1 Like

Re: Today Is Rashidi Yekini's 60th Birthday by Dalatu1994(m): 11:14am On Oct 23, 2023
happy birthday legendary
many more years ahead

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rasheedat Ajibade Scores, Provides An Assist As Atletico Madrid Beats Bayern 2-0 / Kane Overtakes Aguero, Scores The Most Goals For One Premier League Club / French Clubs Refuse To Release African Players For AFCON Qualifiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.