Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,759 members, 7,889,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 12:11 PM

Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure (422 Views)

Affordable Farmland For Sale / Where Can I Get Affordable Farmland For Cocoa Farming In Abeokuta. Please Help! / Tips On Ruminant Nutrition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure by spinna: 7:47pm On Oct 26, 2023
Good evening dear peeps..

Some of you may know me as a seller of Brachiaria grass here ..

I have a lstory to tell about my ruminant livestock adventure that started in 2019 when i left all in my comfortable family home and began my cow experience..

I learnt so much, had success and failures and eventually i had to retreat from the business to come back and strategise...

It wasn't a total failure..i had learnt all about handling cattle one on one .i had created a brand new stream of income frome pasture grass consultancy and i had built a farm with borehole

Now its 2023..five years later..i want to try again..And i intend to live on the farm i built on 5 acres ..

And. I have been thinking deep about fencing this five acres for improved security..

If i plant pasture grass and legume trees on the land will i not become a prime target for the herdsmen?

So fencing the perimeter and the farmhouse i will live in as well as the animals houses is imperative

I thought of various options and i think i have arrived at a beautiful and affordable solution

The options i considered were block fence, wire mesh fence , bamboo fence, and living fence

I planted moringa cuttings along one line ..this is a good option if you plant them closely, but its not the best option i think because one ..Moringa is a softwood..a few strokes with their matchet and those wicked guys can fall the moringa

So the best option i want to try?

Bou. Gain. Villea

Bougainvillea hedge is considered decorative but it has some WICKED thorns on it..it has creeping habit...you can make a frame work that it will grow on an in time it will become an impregnable fence

I am sure this is my best solution so i am going to plant some on my farm around the farmhouse and on the perimeter..i will let you see how it goes but trust me guys..i have done the research..thus is your best option for a very cheap all round fencing of your farmland that will be getting stronger with time

Some other discoveries i made about bougainvillea..

It is very drought resistant ..in fact e no too like water

It grows very fast

It is beautiful 😻 imagine a beautiful boundary of colour making your farm stand out from the sea of green and brown that is our landscape

I will let u guys know how it goes..also i can sell you cuttings of bougainvillea you can plant this dry season to start protecting your farm..

No problem that deep thinking and opening your eyes cannot solve .. I'm so excited for this discovery and to share it with you. So you can call me on 04063463851 for your bougainvillea cuttings or for your Brachiaria pasture grass.

1 Like

Re: Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure by ollyboy009(m): 8:26pm On Oct 26, 2023
Hello Spinna,
I am particularly delighted about your livestock journey and the experience you've gained so far. I must admit you have done well for yourself and I hope other agro enthusiasts like myself would gain immensely from your adventure.

I am thinking of opening a thread here to document my journey into agriculture so as to encourage others like you are already doing.

I secured my self a six acres of land last year in my hometown mainly for integrated farming practice. The CofO of the said piece of land is under processing ( I will open a thread to also educate others on the amount the CofO cost me, the duration and the process involved ).

I must say that, fencing a piece of land this big is not a chicken expense. However, it holds and immense benefits if one can pull off the costs. I have decided go with block fencing, although I plan to plant Coconut alongside the fence line once we start. Block molding will start by November ending ( I am waiting for heavy rainfall to seize), I will also put up a thread to document my expenses. Hopefully, you will find the information usesful if you eventually decide to fence your piece of land with concrete block in the future.
Re: Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure by spinna: 8:38pm On Oct 26, 2023
ollyboy009:
Hello Spinna,
I am particularly delighted about your livestock journey and the experience you've gained so far. I must admit you have done well for yourself and I hope other agro enthusiasts like myself would gain immensely from your adventure.

I am thinking of opening a thread here to document my journey into agriculture so as to encourage others like you are already doing.

I secured my self a six acres of land last year in my hometown mainly for integrated farming practice. The CofO of the said piece of land is under processing ( I will open a thread to also educate others on the amount the CofO cost me, the duration and the process involved ).

I must say that, fencing a piece of land this big is not a chicken expense. However, it holds and immense benefits if one can pull off the costs. I have decided go with block fencing, although I plan to plant Coconut alongside the fence line once we start. Block molding will start by November ending ( I am waiting for heavy rainfall to seize), I will also put up a thread to document my expenses. Hopefully, you will find the information usesful if you eventually decide to fence your piece of land with concrete block in the future.

Wonderful ..the threads would definitely be useful.. I wanted block fencing at least fir my residence..but when i consider other needs for the venture i deem this hard to chop and very thorny plant the next best option .. even a block or wire fence can have this planted on the base and it will climb the wall without damaging it ..providing colour and a sharp burglar proofing in the existing wall

Your thread on c of o would be useful as well.. God grant us success and safety out there in the field
Re: Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure by Artiiclebeast: 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2023
Following.
Re: Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure by ollyboy009(m): 8:58pm On Oct 26, 2023
spinna:

Wonderful ..the threads would definitely be useful.. I wanted block fencing at least fir my residence..but when i consider other needs for the venture i deem this hard to chop and very thorny plant the next best option .. even a block or wire fence can have this planted on the base and it will climb the wall without damaging it ..providing colour and a sharp burglar proofing in the existing wall

Your thread on c of o would be useful as well.. God grant us success and safety out there in the field

Amen, to your prayer my brother. I may contact you for the thorny plant seed once i am done with the first phase of the fencing. The goal is to have a totally secured farm (What's worth doing is worth doing well).
Re: Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure by spinna: 7:08pm On Oct 31, 2023
The plan has been executed.. a square of bougainvillea cuttings has been planted around my farm building..it should grow 3m of thorny protection in a year..maybe more when we erect trellis for it to climb

Re: Affordable Farmland Fencing And My Ruminant Adventure by spinna: 7:14pm On Oct 31, 2023
“Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land.

Job 1.10

When we pray to God for blessing it often comes through ideas

(1) (Reply)

Cocoa, Paddy Rice, Maize, Cashew: Which Of These Produces Do You Urgently Need ? / Soybean Flour Milling Machine Roller Maintenance Precautions / Urgent: I Need Supplier Of Maize Grains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.