Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,804 members, 7,972,876 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 09:15 PM

Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN (11914 Views)

UK Universities Disagree With Government’s Ban On Foreign Students’ Families / How To Write The Statement Of Purpose For Graduate School Applications Abroad / Here Is How To Write A Personal Statement For School Applications (esp Overseas) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Kushites: 2:29pm On Oct 30, 2023
Albertone:

Not stepping your foot in a foreign soil before isn't an excuse for this colossal ignorance you just displayed now.

Check the global ranking of Harvard and Oxford, compare it with the global ranking of Unilag and UNN. You think they use outdated educational systems like us or their lecturers tell them "A is for God, B is for me, C is for brilliant students"?

Secondly, it's only in Africa that people get employed based on nepotism and favoritism.
Google "target schools" and you'll see that there are schools where employers go to recruit fresh graduates irrespective of race, ethnicity or whatever background. Except you don't posses the skills or papers required.

The whites too get underemployed in their countries. Some of them are even jobless while Indians, Pakistanis, Nigerians, etc have their hands full with jobs.

Again, even the whites too take on demeaning jobs till they get something better. So, it is not a function of being a Nigerian student in a foreign land.

You talk so much crap. No, it is not “only in Africa” that people are hired based on their connections. It happens in every blasted continent and country, including the UK.

Plus this demeaning way you speak of UNILAG and UNN is symptomatic of great ignorance and inferiority complex on your part.

Their teaching methods, which you know absolutely nothing about, are not “outdated”, whatever on Earth that means.

And their faculties are better equipped than your prejudice leads you to imagine.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by MadarasBlade(m): 2:32pm On Oct 30, 2023
StOla:

Nope!

Healthcare would get an exemption as universal right to life.

Health is not a choice or luxury.

If healthcare in Nigeria was not substandard, Nigerians would not behave like their Presidents who together seek better healthcare abroad.

You've said absolutely nothing. Just shut it already.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Ashirioluwa: 2:46pm On Oct 30, 2023
Blessed4sure:
How did they come about the figure though?

I know people who pay application fees with assistance from foreign friends, due to their inability to use their Nigerian Debit cards on foreign platforms.

Did the CBN obtain the data from the institutions?

The financial institutions have information of those who secured forex through banks to pay for applications and tuition for schools outside Nigeria.

I believe the amount will be more than this because some people buy foreign currencies through black markets or through family and friends who live abroad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Focusmind: 2:48pm On Oct 30, 2023
Cmeo:
Now tell me why naira won't lose value and dollar gains in value if we could be using or needing almost $2m everyday to pay school fees on our children to school abroad whereas the same service is available here.

Apart from needing over $1m weekly to import hair attachment only not to talk of food items, etc. Our middle class craving for foreign things are majorly part of the problem of Nigeria.

The moment the country (Nigeria) bettered the life of some people and made them middle-class that can save up to 10milion naira, they ditch the nation and forget the nation that made them and face the nation that colonize them. This life is funny

Some important points made here...….once your status changes from lower class to middle class, your taste bud changes as well. Most importantly, lots of middle class Nigerians are no more seeing future for their children in Nigeria and fears that their children may not have the same opportunity they had as things get even worse..... reason why many middle class are taking the "japa" route and re-establishing their families in other countries.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by cooooooks(m): 3:09pm On Oct 30, 2023
Assuming $100 per application, that means 3.4 million people paid application fees.

The actual number is much higher. Why?
- some schools don't charge application fees.

- some schools keep their application fees below $60.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by tctrills: 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2023
StOla:
If I was President, everyone will be forced to look inward for everything, including healthcare, education, and tourism.

We can never have a healthy economy if all of our needs are being provided by international vendors.

Even our petroleum products are obtained internationally despite that we produce crude oil locally.

We can never develop with this constrained reality where we all have to seek foreign services because the local is unavailable or below standard.
If you were president, you would be a dictator and you would completely crash what remains of our economy.
Please give an example of an economy that grew by closing itself to the rest of the world?
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by optimusprime2(m): 3:19pm On Oct 30, 2023
My people...

Jakpaaaaaa!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by SirLakes: 4:21pm On Oct 30, 2023
jerryBoss1:

Can you use the application in your head called brains before you talk .

You dey say make person wey no get brain use am.... how nah
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by SirLakes: 4:24pm On Oct 30, 2023
Kushites:

And their faculties are better equipped than your prejudice leads you to imagine.

You reason like someone who has never seen the 4 corners of a university grin
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by OlujobaSamuel: 4:26pm On Oct 30, 2023
oluwaseyi0:

actually doing people 'japaing' send far more dollars than people going out, infact after oil japa people are our lagest source of foreign exchange

last year remittance is over $20billion, with more people leaving the remmittance will increase

Nigeria has large population, if we can train enough people we won't miss those that japa

afterall most japa people don't japa with their work, they leave the spot for the teaming unemployed (albeit less skillful) population
You are right, there is high remittance truly but that remittance is not really having a cushion on our forex needs, as most of it enters into Dom account which ultimately finds its way into the black market as most people prefer to withdraw it then find the best outside rate instead of official rate, while others prefer to leave it in such account enjoying cool breeze
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by HighTable(m): 4:53pm On Oct 30, 2023
Bullshit! CBN is not surprised! This one is "crocodile surprise"
What did they expect!
Fact is everything is going according to their plan !!
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by nobaga: 5:10pm On Oct 30, 2023
Thank you for setting the colo mentally of Albertone's brain right. He resurged lines he read or was taught word for word.

Only counselors know the lamentation of minority students in prestigious schools and in demanding professions when the top employers ignored them after interviews.

How or who do they tell that top recruiters "forgot" them?

Kushites:

You talk so much crap. No, it is not “only in Africa” that people are hired based on their connections. It happens in every blasted continent and country, including the UK.

Plus this demeaning way you speak of UNILAG and UNN is symptomatic of great ignorance and inferiority complex on your part.

Their teaching methods, which you know absolutely nothing about, are not “outdated”, whatever on Earth that means.

Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by EnterpriseMan(m): 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2023
So? How does that concern them?
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Albertone(m): 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2023
Kushites:

Yeah I should have said "majorly in Africa".

You jump into the middle of a discussion without knowing what brought about it.
We are making comparisons.
Harvard and Oxford Universities are miles ahead of UNN and Unilag. Is that debatable? I guess not.

How would anyone feel the educational system of a university in top 5 in the world isn't better than that of a university I'm not sure is in top 3000?
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Albertone(m): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2023
nobaga:
Thank you for setting the colo mentally of Albertone's brain right. He resurged lines he read or was taught word for word.

Only counselors know the lamentation of minority students in prestigious schools and in demanding professions when the top employers ignored them after interviews.

How or who do they tell that top recruiters "forgot" them?

How did you know they were ignored because they were "minority students"?
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by nobaga: 5:39pm On Oct 30, 2023
My gosh, why don't you keep quiet and hide your ignorance?

University listing is based on whose needs and for whose benefits? World's Standards and civilized climes by whose definition?

Albertone:

Yeah I should have said "majorly in Africa".

You jump into the middle of a discussion without knowing what brought about it.
We are making comparisons.
Harvard and Oxford Universities are miles ahead of UNN and Unilag. Is that debatable? I guess not.

How would anyone feel the educational system of a university in top 5 in the world isn't better than that of a university I'm not sure is in top 3000?

Albertone,

Oh how did I know? You want my address and phone number too?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by DREAMHOMES6970(m): 5:53pm On Oct 30, 2023
Cmeo:
Now tell me why naira won't lose value and dollar gains in value if we could be using or needing almost $2m everyday to pay school fees on our children to school abroad whereas the same service is available here.

Apart from needing over $1m weekly to import hair attachment only not to talk of food items, etc. Our middle class craving for foreign things are majorly part of the problem of Nigeria.

The moment the country (Nigeria) bettered the life of some people and made them middle-class that can save up to 10milion naira, they ditch the nation and forget the nation that made them and face the nation that colonize them. This life is funny

You are spilling trash. Talk about the politicians that have all their children schooling and living abroad, most of them during birth were born overseas just to become automatic citizens. These politicians own houses abroad which they bought with dollars. Middle class shouldn't be ur problem. The politicians and leaders of this country should live by example
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by soccerlite: 6:42pm On Oct 30, 2023
Less than what executive steal in a single contract awarded
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Blessed4sure: 8:38pm On Oct 30, 2023
Ok. Thank you for the explanation

Ashirioluwa:

The financial institutions have information of those who secured forex through banks to pay for applications and tuition for schools outside Nigeria.

I believe the amount will be more than this because some people buy foreign currencies through black markets or through family and friends who live abroad.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Cmeo(m): 9:59pm On Oct 30, 2023
loswhite:
Go back and read to see how foolish you sound. A country that has crude oil yet importing fuel. The amount spent on importing fuel is far more than the foreign education and rice importation put together. Kolo like you is typing rubbish. The greatest problem of this country is foolish citizens

I pity low thinking people like you simply because you failed to understand that majority of those who work in the petroleum sector you mentioned are middle class people, even their present leaders where promoted from the mid-level to their current positions. Simply ask yourself why those categories has not made our refinery work all these while. Abi nah iya basira dey work for petroleum sectors ni?? Next time use your indomine to think and talk in such that it will atleast hide your ignorance.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by loswhite(m): 10:04pm On Oct 30, 2023
Cmeo:

I pity low thinking people like you simply because you failed to understand that majority of those who work in the petroleum sector you mentioned are middle class people, even their present leaders where promoted from the mid-level to their current positions. Simply ask yourself why those categories has not made our refinery work all these while. Abi nah iya basira dey work for petroleum sectors ni?? Next time use your indomine to think and talk in such that it will atleast hide your ignorance.
Shut up your mouth. If they can't make refinery work why are they still employed? Whose responsibility is it to fire unproductive staff? I actually thought you have small sense but your level of foolishness is beyond redemption.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Cmeo(m): 10:05pm On Oct 30, 2023
DREAMHOMES6970:

You are spilling trash. Talk about the politicians that have all their children schooling and living abroad, most of them during birth were born overseas just to become automatic citizens. These politicians own houses abroad which they bought with dollars. Middle class shouldn't be ur problem. The politicians and leaders of this country should live by example

How many of these politicians are in our midst?? What percentage of them?? Do you know that if they were citizens of overseas country as you claimed they pay far less school fees than international student??
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Cmeo(m): 10:14pm On Oct 30, 2023
loswhite:
Shut up your mouth. If they can't make refinery work why are they still employed? Whose responsibility is it to fire unproductive staff? I actually thought you have small sense but your level of foolishness is beyond redemption.

So you know this and you have not demanded for their sack or recall all these while?? idiots like your type are the ones that will raise alarm out of your ignorance if they were eventually sacked.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by loswhite(m): 10:17pm On Oct 30, 2023
Cmeo:

So you know this and you have not demanded for their sack or recall all these while?? idiots like your type are the ones that will raise alarm out of your ignorance if they were eventually sacked.
Cow!!! So I will be the one to demand for their sack when you have a president feeding on tax payers money? He appointed Ministers and Group head ...lol all feeding on tax payers money and I should be the one to call for their. Goat no mention me again.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by Albertone(m): 6:17am On Oct 31, 2023
nobaga:
My gosh, why don't you keep quiet and hide your ignorance?

University listing is based on whose needs and for whose benefits? World's Standards and civilized climes by whose definition?

Albertone,

Oh how did I know? You want my address and phone number too?

I'm now convinced many Nairalanders are not worth arguing with. Many of una just carry expensive phone for hand, nothing more.
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by ufotunang: 8:00am On Oct 31, 2023
SoNature:
A huge fraction of Nigeria's FX goes into foreign education aka Japa. However, the good thing is that it's a worthy investment. As more Nigerians leave the country, foreign remittance would surpass 2022's $20 billion.

It will even get much better if Nigeria had a president people can trust. But if we continue to elect druglords, people will run away and forget their country of origin. cheesy
..that is why the pressure and demand for dollars that is scarce in nigeria is high which makes the dollars rate to rise and weakens the naira.. that is why a dollar is 1,200 naira to a dollar
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by ufotunang: 8:05am On Oct 31, 2023
340 million dollars....with this nigerians and nigeria is destroying the education sector in nigeria and the economy... that is why a dollar is 1200 naira to a dollar... that why the naira is deprecating and losing value.. because of high demand for dollars to attend university abroad and nigeria a country in which the supply of dollars, foreign currencies into the country is low
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by ufotunang: 8:09am On Oct 31, 2023
$340 million that is 340 billion naira spent on application alone and nigerians and politcians expect the exchange rate for a dollars to be 1 naira to a dollar ..that can't be possible ?....
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by ufotunang: 8:11am On Oct 31, 2023
$340 million spent on application alone and nigerians and politcians expect the naira to have value and appreciate against the dollar? .. that can't be possible
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by ufotunang: 8:13am On Oct 31, 2023
$340 million on application alone...that is why the nigeria economy is getting bad and the country also
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by ufotunang: 8:16am On Oct 31, 2023
CodeTemplar:
ASUU be smiling at this headline.
..how will ASUU be smiling when this is a negative affect on the education sector in nigeria and the economy
Re: Nigerians Spent $340m On Foreign School Applications In 6 Months — CBN by ufotunang: 8:20am On Oct 31, 2023
StOla:
If I was President, everyone will be forced to look inward for everything, including healthcare, education, and tourism.

We can never have a healthy economy if all of our needs are being provided by international vendors.

Even our petroleum products are obtained internationally despite that we produce crude oil locally.

We can never develop with this constrained reality where we all have to seek foreign services because the local is unavailable or below standard.
.... nigerians and politicians do not value what they have in their country....they like foreign things too much...that is why the economy is getting bad and the country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo State University Post Ume Update / ‘Only 28 Candidates Registered For Common Entrance Exam In Zamfara’ / JAMB Denies Opening Change Of Course / Institution Process For 2017 UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.