Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,836 members, 7,966,094 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 09:05 AM

Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) (63152 Views)

Which of these stews would you go for with your rice? (pictures) / Substitute For Meat And Fish / Cheapest Substitute For Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Juniorangel(m): 6:19am On Nov 06, 2023
Rice is Rice period, How you wan take pigeon food begin dey chop?

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by RepoMan007: 7:07am On Nov 06, 2023
grandstar:

Stop telling people to go back to the farms. It is archaic.

Look at what these tiny nations are accomplishing

Israel's with 9.5 million people: exports $188bn imports: $108bn
Switzerland 8.63 million people: Exports $488bn Imports: 291bn
Netherlands: 17.5million people: Exports: 719bn Imports: $454bn

If Nigeria wanted, we can produce enough rice to feed the globe but lack comparative advantage.

That is why there's practically a ban on the importation of the product. Nigerians are now compelled to pay more for rice than they should otherwise do because locally produced rice is costly.

Sheabutter, sesame seed, cocoa, cashew nuts and so on. Please note that a country having comparative advantage in one product today does mean you can't lose it tomorrow.

For instance, many enterprises that used to purchase products from China are now buying it from other countries due to rising labor costs in China that have forced an increase in the price of Chinese made goods.
Maybe it is hunger that isnt archaic in your twisted logic of winning debates by any means.

Stop using facts for illogical arguments. All your redundant facts are already known to me. You are just argumentative for no reason. Comparative advantage mean something that works out better economically and even that rice you are talking down has a lot more advantage than any other food in Nigeria. Even more than corn. You still didn't answer my question about what we have comparative advantage in.
The issue is not the rice itself but the superior varieties with lower yield we love to plant and low mechanization/poor planting practices. Pronouncing that as lack of comparative advantage is nothing more than erroneous rationalization of textbook concepts. Are you telling me the output of Olam(Nigeria's largest rice farm) is low too also? The farm is mechanized.

In a country where middlemen work in groups and are known to regulate prices, can we attribute those to lack of comparative advantage on the end product. The way you guys leave reality to spew textbook jargons just to sound knowlegeable is something else.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Aturkiye(f): 7:16am On Nov 06, 2023
surrogatesng:
How is it prepared like jolof rice?
How much is it sold?

It’s in Asian supermarket as Cous-cous and required very little water and for perfect taste steam cook it in low heat. Smallest size Bulgur in Turkey, it’s very nice but not like rice, the bigger size taste similar to rice.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by WilsonBright935: 7:28am On Nov 06, 2023
Looks like cus cus
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by TheSuperX(m): 7:33am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

Are you sure? It's called hungry(man) rice for a reason. cheesy

Still, attieke looks like broken rice.
How can this be a better substitute for rice? are you people too poor in Nigeria? 😏
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by MatthiasChin: 7:39am On Nov 06, 2023
Qusqus
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by sherylbaky(f): 7:39am On Nov 06, 2023
Same thought and e no dey belleful pesin like rice
VeeVeeMyLuv:
It looks like couscous
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by WilliamsCOD(m): 7:42am On Nov 06, 2023
If you're eager to dive into the world of baking and explore the joys of crafting delectable treats, we have the perfect opportunity for you.

Join us for an exciting baking adventure tailored to beginners, where you'll discover how to create mouthwatering delights like:

Yummy puff puff, Yummy fish pie, Smoothies of different types, Vanilla cookies and vanilla cake, Chocolate cake, and bread...

But that's not all! You'll also learn about branding and monetization, so you can turn your baking passion into a profitable business.

To participate send β€œLEARN” via this WhatsApp link https:///message/MZUZ77PRNKPDJ1

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by bewla(m): 7:44am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

This most be brabiko of the kanuri people
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by sherylbaky(f): 7:48am On Nov 06, 2023
This cracked me up. Even the one from the supermarket has sand?

Thought it should have been properly processed
JuanDeDios:

Just like rice. If you buy the packed supermarket variety, the instructions will be written on the pack. I won't go near it again though. If I want to eat sand, I will go to Eleko Beach and start packing them into my mouth.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by MuslimIgbo: 7:52am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

Suffer - man rice
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by NOwazobia: 8:20am On Nov 06, 2023
Egbi2020:

This thing is full of sand.
The washing alone will make life hell for you.
I think I will reject it as a gift with this your post.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:43am On Nov 06, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:
It looks like couscous

Was waiting for this comment.

I love couscous

2 Likes

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:45am On Nov 06, 2023
Juniorangel:
Rice is Rice period, How you wan take pigeon food begin dey chop?
Oh my gawd! shocked grin grin🀣
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by JuanDeDios: 8:50am On Nov 06, 2023
sherylbaky:
This cracked me up. Even the one from the supermarket has sand?

Thought it should have been properly processed
It does o! If you call an online vendor and say "hope there is no san-san in your own?" They will say "Noooo. This one doesn't have sand o." The ones that have small fear of God will say, "E used to have small sand. So you will wash it very well." But they're all lying. Next time Akpabio and his fellow prayer warriors amend the constitution, they should insert a provision either banning that thing or mandating its producers to put a san-san warning label.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by JuanDeDios: 8:51am On Nov 06, 2023
PrimadonnaO:

Was waiting for this comment.

I love couscous
Acha tastes NOThing like couscous. It would taste far better than couscous - if not for its problems.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Immarocks(f): 8:56am On Nov 06, 2023
Acha...
Tiny and plenty sand ...rich man pikin can not Wash it
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Moventist: 9:05am On Nov 06, 2023
That's Jos traditional food. Research suggests it for Diabetes patients
Is even more expensive than rice because of it nutritional value

You can make it into Jollof
Swallow to eat with soup
Pudding for breakfast and add milk and sugar
Juice
Portage add vegetables

That's my childhood meal
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Brownbetsport24: 9:22am On Nov 06, 2023
AllDModsAreMaad:

Cat fish? Suffer head? How?

You can say many people don't like it then but many people like it now, considering the fact that it's even more expensive now than before and the consumption has increased.

You know people has a way of taking things that are easily gotten or easily produced or locally produced for granted.

Back then, cat fish full everywhere, even for back yard swamp so people rather go for the imported frozen one or Okporoko(stock fish).
we are still almost saying the same thing, people turn to it then because foreign frozen is not affordable again, gradually the fish(catfish) becomes famous till this days.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by ajepako(f): 9:30am On Nov 06, 2023
You and who go follow eat this abberration?

God forbid!

Imported long grain rice for me anyday, anytime!
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Nerdnextdoor: 9:50am On Nov 06, 2023
Lol πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜† πŸ˜‚
mariahAngel:

We never see food chop belleful, na to feed fowl? grin

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Pootle: 9:55am On Nov 06, 2023
nothing can substitute rice even bench e no see cool
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by BluntCrazeMan: 10:29am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:
This is fonio.

What more could we ask for? πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

Pictures' source: Google

If it tastes similar to rice, then it can replace rice.

Else, the best we can do is to find better ways to cook it as what it really is:
FONIO and Not Rice.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by scally11: 10:50am On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:

How many people fit afford to cook rice these days?

See. cheesy

Pic 1. Jollof fonio

Pic 2. Fonio pilaf
Instead make I chop this food I rather starve. I mean what is this? Even this is not fit for sacrifice, the gods will reject it.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by kompolon(m): 11:58am On Nov 06, 2023
This is called 'Acha' as in when a person sneezes
It's more expensive than rice.
A mudu of rice is between N1,200 - N1,400
But 'acha' ranges from N1,300 - N1,600
So it can't be cheaper. As it's high in protein and medically recommended for diabetic patients

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Sleekfingers: 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2023
I don't eat rice.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by Blue3k(m): 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2023
grandstar:

Stop telling people to go back to the farms. It is archaic.

Look at what these tiny nations are accomplishing

Israel's with 9.5 million people: exports $188bn imports: $108bn
Switzerland 8.63 million people: Exports $488bn Imports: 291bn
Netherlands: 17.5million people: Exports: 719bn Imports: $454bn

If Nigeria wanted, we can produce enough rice to feed the globe but lack comparative advantage.

That is why there's practically a ban on the importation of the product. Nigerians are now compelled to pay more for rice than they should otherwise do because locally produced rice is costly.

Sheabutter, sesame seed, cocoa, cashew nuts and so on. Please note that a country having comparative advantage in one product today does mean you can't lose it tomorrow.

For instance, many enterprises that used to purchase products from China are now buying it from other countries due to rising labor costs in China that have forced an increase in the price of Chinese made goods.

He admitted Nigeria doesn't have the competitive advantage without noticing. Other countries get much better yields. Getting 2 tons per hectare is very low. The most productive countries get 10 tons per hectare. The average should be around 5.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by surrogatesng: 12:50pm On Nov 06, 2023
Fonio is more expensive than rice,hence cannot be a substitute?
kompolon:
This is called 'Acha' as in when a person sneezes
It's more expensive than rice.
A mudu of rice is between N1,200 - N1,400
But 'acha' ranges from N1,300 - N1,600
So it can't be cheaper. As it's high in protein and medically recommended for diabetic patients
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by delishpot: 12:50pm On Nov 06, 2023
mariahAngel:
This is fonio.

What more could we ask for? πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

Pictures' source: Google

If it tastes like rice......why not? Like chickpeas taste exactly like beans so it's easy to replace bens with chickpeas. If this tastes exactly like rice then yes. It can easily replace rice.

1 Like

Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by cowboyT: 1:33pm On Nov 06, 2023
Annahh:
I don't even like short grain rice talk more of this tiny thing.
it's a specie of millet, and so small.
to process it sef na wahala, more reasons why it's not popular. it can not replace rice, but just an alternative since rice don turn gold.
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by grandstar(m): 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2023
Blue3k:

He admitted Nigeria doesn't have the competitive advantage without noticing. Other countries get much better yields. Getting 2 tons per hectare is very low. The most productive countries get 10 tons per hectare. The average should be around 5.

My Jesus is lord! 10 tons. Even if Nigeria achieve 5 tons that would be something.

These people never learn. How will you advise people in this day and age to go into farming as though it is the antidote to country's economic malaise?

Czech republic which is about 15 years (my guess) behind economies such as that of fellow EU member states like Belgium or Austria exports $181bn worth of goods.

RepoMan007
Re: Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures) by BALLOSKI: 3:04pm On Nov 06, 2023
Couscous?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Noodles I organized as Dinner. / See Yam I Bought For 1500 Naira. Did I Do Good Or Did They Shave My Head / See the meal a churchy Nigerian almost made me missed today.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.