Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,855 members, 7,918,797 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 03:30 PM

BEWARE: I Identified Phishing Attempts Here On Nairaland - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BEWARE: I Identified Phishing Attempts Here On Nairaland (459 Views)

Beware, I Got Fake New Naira Notes From POS Operators - Man Cries Out (Video) / Gbenga Felipe: Nigerian Man Sentenced To 12 Years In Texas For Phishing Scam / Jessy Gold: Girl Killed By Policemen In Ajegunle Identified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BEWARE: I Identified Phishing Attempts Here On Nairaland by SharingIsLife(m): 5:50pm On Nov 12, 2023
Please, we are here to share useful information. At times, this may entail sharing links to other websites. However, I discovered that some people are using the opportunity to take YOUsers to phishing websites.

Some mods seem to have noticed this but I think they are combating it the wrong way by removing every link they see, which defeats the aim of information sharing.

I think the right way to combat the menace is to get YOUsers informed. So, this is the trend I noticed: Someone goes to romance section or another board. He/she makes a post with very attractive title (clickbait) and include a URL. Clicking the URL takes you to a phishing website.

How do you identify a phishing website? They are desperate about getting you to click on protrusively attractive buttons (not bare links) . Their desperation is seen in how they ask you to click on the button. For example, they may tell you that your phone's storage is filling up and tell you to click a button to delete junk files.

The prompt pops up as if it's from your phone master.

The button has malwares behind it. So, clicking it will install the malwares on your device. Here are screenshots from a culprit site shared on the romance section today...

Nlfpmod

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BEWARE: I Identified Phishing Attempts Here On Nairaland by illicit(m): 5:52pm On Nov 12, 2023
Since nah....

2 Likes

Re: BEWARE: I Identified Phishing Attempts Here On Nairaland by Isobug: 10:32am On Nov 27, 2023
Na today? So many attempts

(1) (Reply)

Man Surrenders To Police After Stabbing Brother To Death / MORAL LESSONS By Inspire TV Studios / Mysterious Red Glow Over The Eastern Part Of Nigeria Pilots And Skywatchers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.