Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,684 members, 7,902,154 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 11:20 PM

Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay (13356 Views)

IDF Kills 3 Israeli Hostages After Mistaking Them For "Threat" / Bodies Of Hostages Found In Gaza, Says Israel / Hamas Announces It Will Begin Executing Hostages On Live Broadcasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by ijustdey: 10:52am On Nov 26, 2023
Hamas fighters on Saturday released a second group of 13 Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners, freeing for the first time one of the people snatched during their bloody assault on a music festival.

The hostage-for-prisoner exchange had been delayed for hours in a heart-stopping development when Hamas accused Israel of breaching its side of the agreement, struck as part of a four-day ceasefire which is already past its mid-point.

But after the intervention of Qatari and Egyptian mediators and reassurances from Israel, Hamas agreed to proceed, releasing 13 Israelis and four Thai hostages in a late-night operation.

Israel in turn freed 39 Palestinian prisoners, officials said.

Red Cross minibuses could be seen ferrying the hostages late at night through Gaza’s Rafah border crossing with Egypt ahead of their transfer to Israel, AFP photo and video images showed.

Among the freed Israelis was 21-year-old Maya Regev, kidnapped by Hamas in their deadly October 7 assault on the Supernova desert rave, according to a forum of the hostages’ families.

Maya Regev and her 18-year-old brother Itay, who was also snatched by Hamas during the festival, were later shown tied up in the back of a pick-up truck in a video posted on social media.

“I am so excited and happy that Maya is on her way to us now. Nonetheless, my heart is split because my son Itay is still in Hamas captivity in Gaza,” her mother Mirit said in a statement released by the hostage families’ forum.

The family of freed nine-year-old hostage Emily Hand said they were “overjoyed” to embrace her again.

“We can’t find the words to describe our emotions after 50 challenging and complicated days,” they said in a statement via the forum.

Prison authorities in Israel said they in turn released 39 Palestinian detainees including 38-year-old Israa Jaabis, sentenced to 11 years in jail for detonating a gas cylinder at a checkpoint in 2015.

The handover of Hamas hostages came hours later than expected after the militant group said Israel was interfering in the selection of prisoners for release and was not allowing aid to reach civilians in northern Gaza.

– Nine-year-old boy hugs father –

Hamas later said it had “responded positively” to Egyptian and Qatari mediators, after they relayed a promise by Israel to “uphold all the conditions of the accord”.

Israeli officials denied any breach of the terms of the pause.

Saturday’s exchange followed an initial swap on Friday when Hamas released 13 Israelis, all of them women and children.

Ten Thais and one Filipino were also unexpectedly freed by Hamas.

Israel in turn released 39 Palestinian women and children from its prisons under an agreement that mandates exchanges at a ratio of three to one.

Israeli hostages who were let go in the initial swap reunited with their families in touching scenes.

Nine-year-old boy Otah, wearing glasses and carrying a stuffed toy, rounded the corner of a hospital near Tel Aviv and broke into a run, hurling himself into the arms of his father, video images showed.

The boy, his mother and grandmother were among those released in the first exchange Friday.

On the same day in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, fireworks exploded and crowds filled the streets to welcome the first release of Palestinian prisoners.

“I was just waiting for the day I would be released from prison so I could hug my mother like this,” said Rawan Abu Matar, who served eight years for attempting to stab an Israeli soldier.

Hamas is expected to free a total of 50 hostages during the truce in exchange for 150 Palestinian prisoners, under an agreement brokered by Qatar, Egypt and the United States.

– Aid trucks enter Gaza –

Its fighters snatched around 240 people when they broke through Gaza’s militarised border with Israel on October 7, killing about 1,200 Israelis and foreigners, according to Israeli authorities.

Following the deadliest attack in its history, Israel launched an air, artillery and naval bombardment alongside a ground offensive to destroy Hamas, killing nearly 15,000 people, mostly civilians and including thousands of children, according to the Hamas government in Gaza.

The pause in fighting in Gaza opened the way for more aid to Palestinians struggling to survive with shortages of water and other essentials. Israel had placed Gaza under near-total siege.

A total of 61 trucks delivered food, water and humanitarian aid via a “humanitarian passageway” to northern Gaza on Saturday, the United Nations office for humanitarian affairs said.

Another 187 trucks of vital supplies had been sent separately to aid organisations operating in the Gaza Strip, it said.

The UN humanitarian agency OCHA said that in “several reported incidents” on Friday, “Israeli forces opened fire and threw teargas canisters at people heading northwards; at least one person was reportedly killed, and dozens injured.”

The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza said seven people had been wounded in similar incidents on Saturday.

Egypt said that it had received positive feedback from both sides about the idea of extending the truce for a day or two and releasing more hostages and prisoners.

“It’s only a start, but so far it’s gone well,” US President Joe Biden told reporters Friday, adding “the chances are real” for extending the truce.

Jordan’s Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi called for “a permanent ceasefire and a complete end to this aggression”.

But Israeli armed forces chief Lieutenant General Herzi Halevi insisted Saturday that the war to eliminate Hamas would resume as soon as the pause in fighting ends.

“We will return immediately at the end of the ceasefire to attack Gaza,” Halevi said.

– ‘They destroyed our houses’ –

“We will also do this in order to dismantle Hamas, also to create a great deal of pressure to return as quickly as possible and as many abductees as possible, every last one of them,” he added.

The UN estimates that 1.7 million of Gaza’s 2.4 million people have been displaced by the fighting.

Since the truce, thousands have been returning to what is left of their homes.

“We are civilians,” said Mahmud Masood, standing in front of flattened buildings in Jabalia, northern Gaza. “Why have they destroyed our houses?”

A woman sat on top of a mound of debris with her head in her hands, crying.

In southern Gaza, AFPTV drone images showed people walking or riding in donkey carts along paths cleared through piles of rubble.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/11/hamas-fighters-free-more-hostages-after-hours-long-delay/

1 Like

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by jkpbestseries: 11:28am On Nov 26, 2023
i dedicate the battle of zango to them. Great Novel

1 Like

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Righteousness2(m): 11:57am On Nov 26, 2023
GOD ALMIGHTY is Watching how the nations, governments and people are treating HIS First Born.

The Lord GOD ALMIGHTY sees how the nations position themselves towards Israel and the Jewish people.

When they reach out their fingers to His people, they touch the apple of His eye.

HE will Deal with them Accordingly.

Nations, leaders and people should Beware! And be Be warned!!

Joel 3:1-3a
'For behold, in those days and in that time, when I bring back the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, I will gather all the nations, and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will plead with them because of My people and My inheritance Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations. They have divided my country. They have cast lots for My people.”

GOD Bless ISRAEL ...

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 12:05pm On Nov 26, 2023
Great move. Peace is paramount
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Zico5(m): 6:58pm On Nov 26, 2023
This Israel/Hamas war will really change a lot of things in this world. People with the mentality of killing innocent people in the name of religion will have a rethink. Thank God, Israel is not bowing down to any external pressure to stop the fight. Live and let others live. Serving God should not be a do or die affairs. The world need peace.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by CoronaVirusPro: 6:58pm On Nov 26, 2023

Fvck Israel!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by obinna58(m): 6:58pm On Nov 26, 2023
After they have freed all the hostages Israel should make sure they’re eliminated and disbanded for the good of humanity

28 Likes

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Chigozie321: 6:58pm On Nov 26, 2023
– Nine-year-old boy hugs father –

Israeli hostages who were let go in the initial swap reunited with their families in touching scenes.

Nine-year-old boy Otah, wearing glasses and carrying a stuffed toy, rounded the corner of a hospital near Tel Aviv and broke into a run, hurling himself into the arms of his father, video images showed.

The boy, his mother and grandmother were among those released in the first exchange Friday.

That boy would be traumatized for life.

2 Likes

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Successdude(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023
Righteousness2:
GOD ALMIGHTY is Watching how the nations, governments and people are treating HIS First Born.

The Lord GOD ALMIGHTY sees how the nations position themselves towards Israel and the Jewish people.

When they reach out their fingers to His people, they touch the apple of His eye.

GOD Bless ISRAEL ...

Bro I think the people that are being touched and God's eyes will be on are us.

Those of us in this part of the world bedeviled by bad leadership

This oyibo worship is not in order. I can give you more points if you so lack and need

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by psychologist(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023
I just love redcross

Being member of redcross in my nysc camping program was a big flex, no parade no unnecessary drill by soldiers 😄

Red o, cross o

2 Likes

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by billgabb(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023
Israel is great

4 Likes

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by MatrixCircle: 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023
Stupid Hamas. Now thier state is in ruins , isreal still intact everyone going about their daily activities, while thousands Palestinians killed. Hamas achieved Nothing . grin grin

Hamas as stupid as thier brothers in Nigeria with stupid ideology.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by NwaNimo1(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023
Mission accomplished....Israel forced to negotiate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Emergingnation(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

Fvck Israel!

Hamas has already been fvck !,😂😂😭

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇺🇸

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by datola: 7:00pm On Nov 26, 2023
They should release them all
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by CoronaVirusPro: 7:00pm On Nov 26, 2023
Righteousness2:

GOD Bless ISRAEL ...

Fvck you!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Successdude(m): 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
Hhh
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by OgunleyeA1: 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2023
I
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Rexymania(m): 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2023
These guys (Israel, America and Hamas) knows what they do. They're all premeditated and scripted...they want to use it to embezzle public funds

1 Like

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Treasure17(m): 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2023
What you should have done in the first place. Innocent lives gone just like that when it could have been avoided.

3 Likes

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by CoronaVirusPro: 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2023
MatrixCircle:
Stupid Hamas. Now thier state is in ruins and thousands killed. Nothing achieved. grin grin

Go fvck yourselves!

billgabb:
Israel is great
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Omoawoke2(m): 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2023
But them talk say dem don kill Hamas finish.
This hamas coming out look untouched

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Chetas81(m): 7:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
Some eleriburuku citizen will fight each other over this hamas against Israel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by CoronaVirusPro: 7:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
Emergingnation:
Hamas has already been fvck !

Fvck you too!

Morafvcker!

1 Like

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Eriokanmi: 7:04pm On Nov 26, 2023
jkpbestseries:
i dedicate the battle of zango to them. Great Novel
You just reminded me of this Novel by Dan Waire, published by Evans Bros. I bought it at Odusote Bookstores in Ibafan in 1998

1 Like

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by whizzler: 7:06pm On Nov 26, 2023
MatrixCircle:
Stupid Hamas. Now thier state is in ruins and thousands killed. Nothing achieved. grin grin

Am not sure they made there calculatuons right. Cos why slap someone whom u know can beat u to death. Besides what is the essence of freeing prisoners whom Israel will still kill when the ceasefire period is over?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by ivolt: 7:07pm On Nov 26, 2023
Its not too late to extend the ceasefire.
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Emergingnation(m): 7:08pm On Nov 26, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

Fvck you too!

Morafvcker!
keep crying and wailing! grin grin

Israel 'll continue fvcking the hell out of Hamas ..

😁😁😁😁🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱

9 Likes

Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by Mccullum: 7:14pm On Nov 26, 2023
Righteousness2:

GOD Bless ISRAEL ...

Trash!
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by AcademicWriter: 7:17pm On Nov 26, 2023
Fvck Israel!..

So, do you seek help with your personal statement, statement of purpose, dissertation, thesis, or assignment? Check my profile.
Re: Hamas Fighters Free More Hostages After Hours-long Delay by ozoigbondu1(m): 7:18pm On Nov 26, 2023
Rexymania:
These guys (Israel, America and Hamas) knows what they do. They're all premeditated and scripted...they want to use it to embezzle public funds

Mumu... You think say na APC

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Netanyahu: Despite Allies’ Advice,ISRAEL Will ‘make Our Own Decisions’ On Securi / Trump: New York Expands Legal Defnition Of Rape, Includes Nonconsensual Contact / China Hates Black People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.